Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

you just keep them in the shower until they don't smell anymore.
But also Huskies HATE bath time so really you're hosed. Take it outside and hose it? (Probably too cold)

E: Also be gentle with the hose, don't spray full at them, but like wide angle kinda rake them? It's complicated because you need force but also no one likes water sprayed up their butt.

When we bathed our husky we put peanut butter on the wall to keep her distracted. We even got a little suction cupped bath thing for this purpose

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
My husky mix hates getting baths but is extremely curious whenever we're showering. Half the time he's sticking his face in past the curtain and sometimes trying to lick our legs. Best I can figure is he's trying to figure out why we're willingly torturing ourselves

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

luckily iris is self-bathing, i just have to turn on the hose and she dances around in the spray like a mad thing

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Pavlov's had a lump on his eyelid for awhile, which has very very slowly been getting bigger, so last week I took him in for surgery to get it removed. He has to wear the cone for a couple of weeks.

I also started him on glucosamine supplements, since he's over 10 years old now. Buuuuut I think he's allergic to them. He's had hives on his chin which have made him really itchy. The timing lines up, and it's the only explanation I can think of that's consistent with my observations. I've stopped the supplements, obviously. Are there hypoallergenic glucosamine supplements? Also, about how long does it usually take for allergens to work their way out of the dog's system?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I had to stop trying glucosamine supplements and treats because it was a complete toss up as to when they would suddenly cause hives or severe stomach upset.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I love my puppy but holy poo poo puppies are a complete pain in the rear end in very way possible.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Enfys posted:

I had to stop trying glucosamine supplements and treats because it was a complete toss up as to when they would suddenly cause hives or severe stomach upset.

Pavlov already has a grain allergy, so I figured that the supplements contain the same thing he's allergic to that's in grain-using dogfood. I hadn't realized that glucosamine supplements were a common source of allergens though.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

MarcusSA posted:

I love my puppy but holy poo poo puppies are a complete pain in the rear end in very way possible.

Not empty quoting but it's true.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

My 13 week old puppy Pickwick has gotten off his poop schedule in the last few days, probably from being out of town visiting family etc. He has gotten up the past few nights between midnight and 5am and had to go out, and then won’t go again until mid afternoon and then again maybe 8pm. He used to always go right after meals. He’s had a bit looser stools than usual, especially at night, but not really what I’d call diarrhea. There’s been lots of deer poop and new kinds of sticks and acorns to eat and lake water to drink and he’s had a few ticks. He’s perfectly perky so I haven’t been worried about the loosish stool but can take him to the vet Monday if needed.

How do I get him back on schedule? If he barks in the middle of the night to go out, can I just ignore him and leave him in his crate and try to make him hold it until morning or is that a bad idea? I was staying with family so didnt want to wake the whole house up letting him cry it out, but am back home now and have hardened my heart to whimpering. Up until now he’s really always slept through the night.

He cute tho:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

MarcusSA posted:

Truly. This is why I'm getting another puppy in two days.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

My 13 week old puppy Pickwick has gotten off his poop schedule in the last few days, probably from being out of town visiting family etc. He has gotten up the past few nights between midnight and 5am and had to go out, and then won’t go again until mid afternoon and then again maybe 8pm. He used to always go right after meals. He’s had a bit looser stools than usual, especially at night, but not really what I’d call diarrhea. There’s been lots of deer poop and new kinds of sticks and acorns to eat and lake water to drink and he’s had a few ticks. He’s perfectly perky so I haven’t been worried about the loosish stool but can take him to the vet Monday if needed.

How do I get him back on schedule? If he barks in the middle of the night to go out, can I just ignore him and leave him in his crate and try to make him hold it until morning or is that a bad idea? I was staying with family so didnt want to wake the whole house up letting him cry it out, but am back home now and have hardened my heart to whimpering. Up until now he’s really always slept through the night.

He cute tho:

He's just over 2 months. If you want him potty trained quickly, he should be going out every 3-4 hours. Definitely too young to ignore in his case so you can sleep through the night.

Cute cute pup

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
If he's barking it's to let you know he can't hold it and needs to go out or else

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Yeah he was up every 2 hours last night with smallish, loosish stools so I guess we’ll check in with the vet tomorrow.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

That's one cute puppy!

If he's barking to be let out and then just wants to have midnight playtime, that's one thing, but if he is actually pooping then you're definitely better off letting him out. My dog's poo schedule was all over the place when he was that age. Puppies have sensitive stomachs.

We found that Pro-Kolin probiotic paste was really helpful in, uh, firming things up, although I don't know if that's available where you are.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yeah he was up every 2 hours last night with smallish, loosish stools so I guess we’ll check in with the vet tomorrow.

Jarvis had loose/wet poops off and on for a couple of weeks when we first brought him home. Firmed up eventually and hasn't had anything worse than a little bit soft in the year and a half since.

I'm guessing it's relatively normal for adjusting to a new environment.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

For a puppy I'd definitely have the vet see him. When my older dog had those issues I'd just lower her regular food and mix it with white rice. If it was bad I'd hold the food for a day and just give her some bland white chicken with the rice. Sort of the doggy equivalent of chicken soup, bland food to help their digestive system calm down. It was usually what the vet recommended but they always said if it lasted more than a day or two to bring them in for a checkup.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Nov 28, 2022

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Today we came across a stray dog. Friendly but hyper and sniffing all over the place- probably hungry. We tried to get him out of the pedestrian traffic and into our vehicle but no luck. I really should have a collar+leash in our vehicle emergency kit as this is the THIRD time I've had an experience like this. He was curious enough about us that I could have snapped a collar and leash onto him but I didn't have one.

Any recommendations for a cheap-ish collar and leash that's easy to put on a strange dog that I can just stash in my vehicle?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You should probably just have a slip lead

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
my vet has this like rope/lasso lead they use for taking the dogs into the back during covid. It's basically a rope with a loop on the end so you put one end through the loop and it creates a sort-of slipknot.
https://www.petsmart.com/dog/collar...X4aAunTEALw_wcB
but cheaper looking

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
My vets office will give you the cheap flat fabric version of those slip-leases to you for free if you ask. We use one to keep Ollie in the bath at bathtime.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Slip leads are great. We use them all the time for potty breaks (he has a dedicated poop pen on the other side of the deck) and going to and from the car.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Tuco's first snow!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

"don't talk to me or my son ever again"

edit: I have to say, I thought bringing a puppy into a house with two dogs already, one of those being a just-turned-two-year-old, would be way worse, but actually the two-year-old is doing an incredible job exhausting the lil guy.

He's displaying some very freudian behaviours of both trying to mount his mother, and grabbing at her nipples constantly. She doesn't seem to care too much but obviously I'll be working on that lol.

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 1, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Went to get some inhome dog training for Brisket to help him accept people into his home.
They quoted me 1000 bucks for 4 zoom sessions. Is this normal? That seems like a lot for someone to not even see how he reacts to the specific situation I want to train him for.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Went to get some inhome dog training for Brisket to help him accept people into his home.
They quoted me 1000 bucks for 4 zoom sessions. Is this normal? That seems like a lot for someone to not even see how he reacts to the specific situation I want to train him for.

I don’t know where you are but that’s a ridiculous amount. I wouldn’t even consider that.

Like I’m in LA and paid 4k for a 12 week program where my dog is in class 3 days a week for 8 hours.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

HootTheOwl posted:

Lol what

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I thought it would be like 100 bucks a session but three people now are quoting me over double that. They're the just the most extreme.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

I thought it would be like 100 bucks a session but three people now are quoting me over double that. They're the just the most extreme.

Yeah $100 seems more inline but lol

Did you check wag or rover? Pretty sure they do training.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I paid about 70-80 a session for 8 private home sessions lasting about 60-90 minutes (in 2022 dollars, this was in 2013). 100 an hour for in home private work is about tops I would expect.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Something something 'if a dog bites a baby we don't put babies near your dog' and an emphasis on reading our dog's behavior.
Which I already can do: People stress him out and I need him to understand they're going to give him tons of treats if he calms down or can just walk the gently caress away. You have a crate! You love crates!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

HootTheOwl posted:

Something something 'if a dog bites a baby we don't put babies near your dog' and an emphasis on reading our dog's behavior.
Which I already can do: People stress him out and I need him to understand they're going to give him tons of treats if he calms down or can just walk the gently caress away. You have a crate! You love crates!

Yeah I don’t get how they’re gonna help with that over Zoom over than just telling you stuff you already know.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

HootTheOwl posted:

That's insane.

Just download Goodpup. $29.95 per half hour video session.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

How well do the inflatable donut style Elizabethan collars work?

My dog (45# pit mutt) just had her right hind leg amputated and has to be coned for a while. I can already tell it's going to cause some major problems. So far, she can't turn around in or get in and out of her kennel and can't get up stairs without being carried because the lip of the cone catches on the steps. We have no ground floor in our house, so getting outside to go to the bathroom always involves 14 steps no matter how we come or go from the house. I know we're going to be adjusting our lives around this for a while, and have to take her out to pee and poop for quite a while among other major adjustments. The big one is access to her kennel and the ability to maneuver around in it by herself. She needs to be able to get away from our other dog, and keeping them physically separated is not a real option.

So do those donut collars work to keep an extremely average shaped and sized dog with a very average neck and snout length out of a surgical site on the hip to tail area?

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 1, 2022

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Poor fluff :sympathy:

You could use it when you're around to keep an eye on her to make getting up and down stairs etc easier, but I wouldn't trust her alone with it because she'd probably be able to get it a bit.

I used one when my collie had knee surgery, and it kept her from being able to access it easily, but it wasn't impossible for her.

Enfys fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 1, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Enfys posted:

Poor fluff :sympathy:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Enfys posted:

You could use it when you're around to keep an eye on her to make getting up and down stairs etc easier, but I wouldn't trust her alone with it because she'd probably be able to get it a bit.

This, we have a cone and donut, the donut is OK, but we still need to be able to see the dog, it just gives us a bit more time to react.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

this good boy did so well on his first canoe trip that I just had to reward him with a pup cup afterward

So far I've trained him not to jump in every open car he sees :) thanks for the help everyone

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Thanks yall, I think I'll just suck it up and stick with the cone. She's figuring things out a bit and learning how to get herself unstuck.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Thanks yall, I think I'll just suck it up and stick with the cone. She's figuring things out a bit and learning how to get herself unstuck.

You could also order the body suit from Amazon. It will cover the area and probably provide double protection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

iris "helping" me make my bed