Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Is the timeline stuff with TLM vs SA why Hoid gets the chauffeur gag in TLM? Can’t have him give away anything interesting about other shards in the cosmere after the S4 ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Democratic Pirate posted:

Is the timeline stuff with TLM vs SA why Hoid gets the chauffeur gag in TLM? Can’t have him give away anything interesting about other shards in the cosmere after the S4 ending.

imo 100% yes, for meta reasons he can't say practically anything he would know right now in the timeline

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Taffer posted:

Finished the lost metal. No spoiler review: I thought the first half was a bit slow and didn't contribute too much to the overall story, but it really home in the second half.

Very half baked spoiler review: there was lot of cool cosmere stuff packed into this book, but all I can think about is the death of Wayne. I didn't expect it, my first thought was that all the focus on Wayne would end with him taking up a shard, either Whimsy as others mentioned, or even Harmony with all the issues mentioned about Sazed in this book. His death caught me really off guard and hit me way harder than I expected. I really really liked the book, and I'm very very sad about Wayne's death. On one hand I'm glad that Sanderson went all the way and killed a beloved character, on the other hand I hate it because Wayne was one of my favorite characters in all the Sanderson books. His arc throughout the series and especially this final book was done incredibly well. What an awesome final move for him.

Also, Steris (sp? i listen to the audiobook) is incredibly badass and was even moreso in this book. I love her

TLM spoilers and general Cosmere spoilerish theorizing I gotta admit that as soon as Wayne started getting hassled about resolving his last few serious emotional problems, I figured that was curtains for him. There aren't a lot of characters who get to stick around onscreen in the Cosmere once their core problems (specifically internal problems) are resolved or accepted. And yes, of course, there's no story if there are no problems to cope with. But idk, I feel like he's always so careful to have send-offs be satisfying with all the loose ends tied up that it feels artificial to me at times.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TLM Stuff:

I wonder, with Marsh staying alive, if he and Kel will actually finally fight come Era 3, given Marsh works for Harmony and Kel and Harmony seem ready to come to actively oppose each other. Everybody tis talkinga bout that "dark shadow" as Discord but I don't know if this means Harmony will be the villain and the Ghostbloods the heroes.

Also, while they are not exactly the same. one area the two Ghostblood groups are identical is their recruiting strategies. Mraize strung Shallan along forever with promises of truths and Moonlight's plan to try to get Marasi to join was also to promise her a bunch of secrets and information. It instantly set my teeth on edge when she was talking like Mraize in this way.
[/spoiler]

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The only times that sazed seems to be capable of acting is when he's destroying things. People keep talking about his imbalance being a problem, but maybe it's the only reason he can act at all.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tunicate posted:

The only times that sazed seems to be capable of acting is when he's destroying things. People keep talking about his imbalance being a problem, but maybe it's the only reason he can act at all.

He did Preserve Wax after the explosion, but that was a relatively small scale thing. And he worked quite hard to preserve the cities in the Basin, so I'm not sure I agree with the statement that he can only act when he's destroying things.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Torrannor posted:

He did Preserve Wax after the explosion, but that was a relatively small scale thing. And he worked quite hard to preserve the cities in the Basin, so I'm not sure I agree with the statement that he can only act when he's destroying things.

Well consider he did not save or do anything for the southern scadrians, he didn't even change their bodies so they could tolerate normal temperatures, those could have been the ruin to counteract the preservation of the basin.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Torrannor posted:

wax survived without any direct intervention - the time sazed seened to actually be actively helping him was in the tower when wax went into a berserk fugue

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tunicate posted:

wax survived without any direct intervention - the time sazed seened to actually be actively helping him was in the tower when wax went into a berserk fugue

Warning, big The Lost Metal ending spoilers!

The Lost Metal posted:

"Will Wax survive this?"

"Normally, no person could," Harmony said. "Considering explosions in
water are exceptionally dangerous. Fortunately, this one will be channeled
mostly upward—and Wax has pewter now. So long as he burns the metals
in those other vials I gave him, he should survive the blast. I will … do
what I can to help Preserve him.
But Wayne, there is nothing I can do for
you. This blast will be too big.”

The Lost Metal posted:

Wax struggled in the dark waters.

Then something erupted to his right. A flash of light, blinding and
dazzling. Followed by a shock wave in the air, and another in the water. For
both, he thought he glimpsed—briefly, through the omnipresent light—the
sight of a figure dulling the wave directly in front of him. A calm Terrisman
standing tall on the surface of the water, with one hand stretched forward.

Then, darkness again. Wax blinked, his eyes blinded by the blast. Debris
rained around him. Splashing into the choppy waves.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Whoops must have missed that

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Also can I just say it was already pretty weird to imagine a Steel Inquisitor wandering into a modern-ish building. How quickly I came to view Era 2 as more "mundane" than Era 1.

Now I'm trying to imagine some truly modern setting for Era 3 and Marsh walking through a revolving door in his robes and spikes.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Also can I just say it was already pretty weird to imagine a Steel Inquisitor wandering into a modern-ish building. How quickly I came to view Era 2 as more "mundane" than Era 1.

Now I'm trying to imagine some truly modern setting for Era 3 and Marsh walking through a revolving door in his robes and spikes.

I need an Era 3 Pixar-esque novella where Marsh saves a plucky orphan who later trails him back to his hideout. The kid overcomes Marsh’s internal defenses and the pair become reluctant friends.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

NikkolasKing posted:

I could imagine cyberpunk influences, people mass producing and commoditizing magic and living in a society where it's normal to have some spikes and unkeyed metalminds and whatnot.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

NikkolasKing posted:

Now I can’t read Marsh without thinking of Death from Bill and a Ted’s Bogus Journey

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Infinite Karma posted:

I could imagine cyberpunk influences, people mass producing and commoditizing magic and living in a society where it's normal to have some spikes and unkeyed metalminds and whatnot.

TLM Spoilers:

Spikes will absolutely become way more common. You know the scene about creating spikes without killing the person by pulling “excess” Preservation or whatever is foreshadowing things for Era 3. Plus, you have the two heroes of the book utilizing spikes in the end. It will absolutely be a thing, and might even be necessary for the future space travel stuff

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
80 pages into TLM and drat, Sanderson’s Horny Levels are through the roof

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Lost Metal and Stormlight spoilers

RE: Ghostbloods - I felt such a disconnect between the ghostbloods in the Lost Metal and in Stormlight - I was reading thinking "did I misremember how the ghostbloods are in Stormlight?" The Ghostbloods on Scadrial seem mostly reasonable, and the Ghostbloods on Roshar seem mostly evil. I'm glad there was some line about "your sister running amok over on Roshar" - the idea that the group that is so far away doesn't have the steadying hand of Kelsier to keep them in line - the fact that he says "No, don't kill Merasi" means the organization attracts at least some unstable/very violent types.

I felt like Wayne's death was well written, and found myself ugly crying on an airplane as I read it, so that was effective on me at least. I think it was well done, especially since the whole past 4 books has been "Wax is important, Wax is The Chosen One, Wax is going to save the world." At the end, it's Merasi stopping the invasion through her craftiness and quick thinking by burning the investiture, and Wayne who has the actual skill, talent, practice, and absurd amount of bendalloy to actually be able to stop the bomb. Steris steps up in her preparation and politics and has the skills to maneuver the city and the governor when it's time. It's nice to see the big hero figure not being the one who saves the day in every single aspect. Not that he isn't given the 'Wax is the ultimate badass" treatment, but he's really not the one who ends up making the important final steps.

I thought Hoid's role as the cabby is more in line with how he is in all the non-stormlight books - He's a beggar on the street, he's a random passerby, he's a storyteller with one scene at the right time, an informant - a one off character who seems to be around at pivotal moments. Wit is a fully-fledged character in Stormlight, with feelings, interactions, arcs, and he is a known person with a name who plays a role in politics. Hoid as a "huh, who's that guy?" chauffeur tracks for me. There's a scene in Mistborn Era 1 where Vin gets bad vibes from a meeting with Hoid as an informant and blows him off.

General magic implications: The Ars Arcanum talks about one of the Feruchemy metals just storing investiture, and now we have an idea of how pure investiture can work in the world, literally being carried around in jars. If there was a compounding allomancer/feruchemist who could do the equivalent with investiture like Miles Hundredlives could do with Gold, that would be a really useful powerful to have around, particularly with the idea of un-identified (untagged? unbound?) metalminds, creating portals, or powering the abilities of other world travelers.

non-spoiler review: It was good, it wrapped up Era two pretty well and set thing sup well for Cosmere era 2. I also thought the pacing was good- it didn't do the traditional Sanderlanche, but it feels like that's just because he got past exposition and into explosions a lot faster. I thought it was a nice pace.

just another Lost Metal thing - my favorite little one-off moment that stands out so much is when Marsh arrives. "Would you like to die, mortal? ... Here? Right now? Crushed by the weight of your own stupidity?" made me laugh so much the first time I read it. That whole little section there of his entrance is just... *chef's kiss*

road potato fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 28, 2022

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Anshu posted:

I believe the latest WoBs put Mistborn Era 2 as happening definitely after Stormlight 5 and possibly after Stormlight 6, although Brandon hasn't fully nailed down the chronology yet.
Happening after Stormlight 5, during the timeskip, sounds right.

In the RoW epigraphs, Harmony says, in part: "I have begun searching for a pathway out of this conundrum by seeking the ideal person to act on my behalf. Someone who embodies both Preservation and Ruin. A … sword, you might say, who can both protect and kill." And we know that correspondence between Hoid and Harmony was started when Hoid wrote to all the Shards asking them for help in containing Odium, which is going to be a settled (or at least changed) problem after Stormlight 5. So even though there's precedent for epigraphs coming from the future (Oathbringer epigraphs including the foreword to Oathbringer), if Harmony has only now just started putting Plan Wax into action, Mistborn Era 2 is still several years into the future.

Also, regarding the big emotional thing from TLM, I have to admit it didn't affect me much. We're about to timeskip out, everyone's gonna be dead by the next Mistborn book. Wayne went out successful, on his own terms, and as a hero. Good for him.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

CapnAndy posted:

Also, regarding the big emotional thing from TLM, I have to admit it didn't affect me much. We're about to timeskip out, everyone's gonna be dead by the next Mistborn book. Wayne went out successful, on his own terms, and as a hero. Good for him.

In later Stormlight books, or others happening around that time, I wouldn't be surprised if (TLM ending spoilers) we see one of Wax's kids and/or Ruri show up in some capacity. The latter especially since it seems very deliberate to have an epilogue show "so yeah the person Wayne made monthly visits to and set as his heir also has a daughter." Since even if Harmony is able to keep to his word and never contacts Wax or his family ever again, the Ghostbloods and others will have eyes on them and everyone is going to be looking at Allriandre very closely due to the inheritance.

It also seems extremely likely that Wax is going to have a full Mistborn kid after the book ends since it's mentioned how Steris really wants a 3rd child and now that Wax is a full Mistborn, even if he's a 'weak' one, that's too convenient a setup to not act on to slowly reintroduce full Mistborn into the world.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
It would be kind of funny if, somewhere in Sanderson’s internal wiki he maintains for personal use, there was written “Lamarck was right, not Darwin”.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
He has said Era 3 will be 70-80 years in the future but possibly 50, so anyone born at the end of TLM is going to be pretty old by then.

Personally, I’d rather not have any of the main characters be kids/grandkids of any characters in Era 2. I’m fine with them playing secondary characters who have influential roles in society.

Just as with the new Star Wars movies I’m more interested in the world rather than a dynasty.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
Amongst other things, the leatherbounds for Alloy of Law and Shadows of Self are now up for preorder: https://www.dragonsteelbooks.com/collections/cyber-monday

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Stormlight 6-10 are only supposed to be a few years after 1-5 right? With Mistborn Era 2 happening in-between them. Those are plenty of decades between Roshar sorting its poo poo out and things getting spicy on Scadriel again.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Yeah there's no way the (grand) kids of Era 2 characters aren't in the Era 3 books if they happen that soon after. Others being the focus would be ideal but I'd be surprised if no Era 2 character or their offspring have a central role.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

M_Gargantua posted:

Stormlight 6-10 are only supposed to be a few years after 1-5 right? With Mistborn Era 2 happening in-between them. Those are plenty of decades between Roshar sorting its poo poo out and things getting spicy on Scadriel again.
I believe that it'll be long enough that Lift will be a grownup, but I have absolutely no idea where I got that impression from.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TLM Spoilers, general Cosmere talk

For the people who want Wayne to be Whimsy, why inflict such a fate on our hero? It seems evident to me that he series is anti-Shard, even the "good" ones. Having Shards has not been kind to our good boy Sazed. It apparently turned the kind Ati into Ruin. I'm re-reading TFE and even in that book, Ruin is whispering to Vin that everyone will betray and leave her...even as he needs her and the crew to succeed in killing the Lord-Ruler. And I've never forgotten the pointless bit of cruelty where he tells a dying Zane that he was never crazy. Ruin was far from some impassive fore of destruction, he was a petulent sadist.

Having a Shard is not good for anyone.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm curious how the post-shattering conversations will end up being revealed

who wanted to go make a bunch of worshipers, who just wanted to live life with a few perks, and who wanted to splinter those drat things right then and there and fling them into deep intergalactic space in opposite directions

Rayse is going to end up being one of the more rational dudes there, isn't he?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

I'm curious how the post-shattering conversations will end up being revealed

who wanted to go make a bunch of worshipers, who just wanted to live life with a few perks, and who wanted to splinter those drat things right then and there and fling them into deep intergalactic space in opposite directions

Rayse is going to end up being one of the more rational dudes there, isn't he?

Only if you think "I'm going to destroy everyone else" is rational.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Only if you think "I'm going to destroy everyone else" is rational.

If Stormlight is an anime in word form, does that mean “I must destroy this corrupt world so that I can rebuild it” is the rational position for the antagonist to have?

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
Some TLM thoughts

I generally enjoyed the way era 2 ended. That said, I was sort of annoyed at the recycling of the method of resolution in Marasi's plot at the end.

Regarding protagonists' kids/grandkids as future important characters, I see it as almost certain, especially whatever children Wax has after the closing of the book. Hoid's luck only lets him show up for story worthy events, so Hoid showing up to pick Wax up at the end was certainly for reasons of the future of the Cosmere.

Also I groaned at Hoid's Alfred demeanor when addressing Master Wayne during the truck ride to Bilming.

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

TLM thoughts:

Genuinely delightful book. It raised the stakes just enough to be exciting without elevating Mistborn Era 2 from the more grounded stories it had been telling up until that point. Things were getting world endy but nowhere near as much as the original

One of the most fun things about Era 2, and I’m sure people have called this out, is I feel like each one plays with a different type of cinematic action story. The first is the closest it gets to a western, the second feels kind of like a noir thriller, the third very Indiana Jones-y, and the final one feels almost like a James Bond story at times. I think it was a really good idea to mix stuff up like that, all of them held together by the best action scenes Brandon has written.

The last Stormlight book really left me cold but this has reignited my interest in full in hoping the first half of that series ends well too

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

In the minority here but I could have done without TLM. No significant complaints but at almost 600 pages I didn’t really feel like anything new happened to justify returning to these characters just to wrap up how it did. Would have almost preferred the Marasi stuff condensed down to a novella that still could have kept the Infinity Crossover vibe the book seemed to want so bad.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

^burtle posted:

In the minority here but I could have done without TLM. No significant complaints but at almost 600 pages I didn’t really feel like anything new happened to justify returning to these characters just to wrap up how it did. Would have almost preferred the Marasi stuff condensed down to a novella that still could have kept the Infinity Crossover vibe the book seemed to want so bad.

It definitely felt more like a vehicle for Cosmere-happenings than the previous entries, and I agree that not much happened in terms of character development for Wax and Marasi (though Steris and Wayne def have growth arcs). I do think there was plenty for the previously developed characters to do, and there was also an obvious expansion of scope. For me personally, it was nice to see Wax/Marasi maintain continuity and flourish within their established development and not need to reinvent themselves or deal with a tiresomely reinserted previously addressed problem/growth arc (looking at you Kaladin/Shallan). Sanderson is better at writing characters doing interesting things within an interestingly changing world than purely character driven stuff, so I think it plays to his strengths even if it wasn't your cup of tea.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Alendi's journal makes me wish we got a story actually featuring him. Apparently he reminds a lot of people of Rand al'Thor (never read those books) - "the archetypal Fantasy Hero" - but the tidbits we get makes me want to know more, to see his actual full story.

TFE remains awesome. The Lord-Ruler also remains the single most despicable character I've ever seen from Sanderson no matter how much Hero of Ages tried to obfuscate the facts.. Odium, Sadeas, Suit Moash, even fuckin' Straff - none can compare to what a monster LR is. Undoubtedly part of this is due to Mistborn Era 1's unequaled level of brutality and gore compared to the other books but it's just how it is. Not even a God of Hatred created a race of rapeslaves. And for how vie he is, Straff is just living up to the ideals the LR created.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
TLM Kelsier doesn’t know about the investing of spikes via average people because moonlight is missing and Marasi doesn’t bring it up. Curious if Marasi just doesn’t think it’s important or if she made a choice to not tell him.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Calidus posted:

TLM Kelsier doesn’t know about the investing of spikes via average people because moonlight is missing and Marasi doesn’t bring it up. Curious if Marasi just doesn’t think it’s important or if she made a choice to not tell him.
She's been so overwhelmed by insane poo poo happening that night that I doubt it particularly registers with her at all, and if she gave it any thought, she'd probably assume that Kelsier knows already. After all, "we know all the mysterious secrets" is very much how the Ghostbloods present themselves.

He'll probably find out when she puts it in her police report.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I have returned from my self-imposed exile. I finally finished The Lost Metal.

General, non-spoiler review:

I don't know if it was just that it hit at the right time, but goddamn this book was incredible. I loved it and it is near the top of my list of favorite Sandersons. I was in tears with the ending.

I just generally really liked the book from start to finish. There was no traditional Sanderlanche, but the book itself felt like the Sanderlanche to Mistborn Era 2. I laughed, I cried, I had an incredible time. I feel like this book had some of the best pacing of any Sanderson book. I never felt like it was boring or spinning its wheels. There as a momentum the entire time. I feel like it had the perfect balance of action and comedy, of serious sincerity and emotional levity.

LOST METAL SPOILERS -

There were a lot of things that I have no clue about since I haven't read Stormlight yet. Off the top of my head, they mentioned Odium and Roshar and Silverlight and a few other things that I can't remember since I have no connection to them yet. I know this thread had a little contention about "OMG HE SPOILED THAT KELSIER RUNS THE GHOSTBLOODS!!!" and I don't think that's a bad thing. It'll just change the experience when I go through Stormlight Archive. It is not a good or bad thing, but a different experience and that's okay.

Not-Wax and Not-Wayne were a lot of fun. I love that we got three encounters with them. Reminds me of a JRPG where you encounter the same lesser boss multiple times. They were a good mix of deadly but still fun.

Everything with Wayne was incredible. I loved the resolution to his story and just the journey he took. I found Wayne to be really annoying in Alloy of Law, but I fell in love with him over the rest of the books. He and Lightsong are my favorite Cosmere characters.

I love how the book expanded the technology of the world (such as the the filming of the "ruined city"). I really liked the resolution to the kidnapped people from book 1. Some people might see Marasi getting them to rise up as kinda corny, but I think it worked emotionally.

Marsh showing up in the constabulary was also fantastic.

From catching up on the thread -

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Skimming the thread and into the end stretch of TLM and I want this as a movie so bad. TLM: Wax and Wayne having a beer while the sun sets would be such a good breather scene before the climax.

This scene made me think of Cowboy Bebop, before Spike assaults the Syndicate tower to face Vicious. It was an incredible moment before the book went full John Wick.

Taffer posted:

Trying very carefully to avoid spoilers.... Just started the audiobook for The Lost Metal and the sound quality is noticeably lower than other Sanderson books. Did I get some low quality version or are they all like this? It makes Kramer's excellent deep voice sound tinny and bad, I'm hoping that there is a better quality version somewhere.

IDK if something was different for you, but I listened to the audiobook via Audible and didn't notice any major difference from previous books.

M_Gargantua posted:

My second complaint The death of Telsin was done poorly. Was 'defeated' her, but then Harmony just yanks her connection with Autonomy and she just keels over and dies a little later. It really needed more of Wax's direct involvement, like he should have at least shot her once her connection was pulled instead of just letting her fade out. Its not even clear at the time that she's dying, Wax just leaves.

I disagree with this. I think this was the best way to handle Telsin. Having anyone directly kill her would be a little too much melodrama for my tastes. Wax killing her would be too dark for my liking and Wayne killing her would have lessened his character imo. This was the best way for her to go out - defeated by her own arrogance.

CK07 posted:

TLM spoilers again: The "not-Wax" and "not-Wayne" are referred to as having been "created" to oppose our heroes.

And like, what was the in-universe point of them? Was "the heroes, but kinda stronger and stupider and with way less of the relevant experience, skill, and knowledge" really the best solution the Set could come up with? I know that the Bizarro trope is a classic in superhero stories, and for a reason. But it felt pretty of out of place and gimmicky to me in this story.

Here's all you need to know for that - it was cool. The end.

CURRENT SANDERSON RANKINGS -

The Final Empire
The Hero of Ages
**The Lost Metal**
Shadows of Self
Warbreaker
Mistborn - Secret History
The Bands of Mourning
The Alloy of Law
The Emperor’s Soul
The Well of Ascension
----------The Line of Recommendation----------
Elantris
Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Eltania
The Eleventh Metal
The Hope of Elantris

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I was thinking about this last week. And I came to a similar conclusion, getting "spoiled" on that detail will merely change how you will view them when they appear in SA. And being spoiled about that particular detail is honestly not that impactful, imho.

It's similar to the people who didn't read Warbreaker first. There are several Warbreaker characters in Stormlight Archive, and their importance ranges from "side character" to "critically important character", and yet people who haven't read Warbreaker still understood most of what was going on. It's a nice bonus to understand more deeply why certain characters act the way they do, what they are hiding from our clueless Rosharans, and how they are doing what they are doing. But you can get a similar effect then by reading Warbreaker.

I believe following publication order will probably be the most satisfying experience if you never reread the books, because you will otherwise miss some stuff. But following a different reading order is not inherently inferior.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

There were a lot of things that I have no clue about since I haven't read Stormlight yet

Read Stormlight already!!! :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Taffer posted:

Read Stormlight already!!! :mad: