Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Drakkel posted:

To be fair Luffy's made of rubber so obviously he can hit Enel without needing haki

He actually couldn't hit Enel without using Haki if Enel turned to lightning, when he hit him initially it involved rebounding attacks off the wall so that even Luffy didn't know where they would hit. The rubber just meant Enel couldn't hurt him. Ironically, the reason Luffy can hit Enel in the end is the giant conductive gold ball Enel places on his arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Drakkel posted:

To be fair Luffy's made of rubber so obviously he can hit Enel without needing haki

But Sanji has Haki now, so why would he have any trouble hitting Enel?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Ah, I was talking about physically touching Enel not whether or not he can dodge them.

Also part of me wants to see an AU of One Piece where Haki isn't a thing so Luffy kept having to find things that let him punch logia fruit users. Like Luffy punching Kizaru with a mirror strapped to his fist or something.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Drakkel posted:

Ah, I was talking about physically touching Enel not whether or not he can dodge them.

Also part of me wants to see an AU of One Piece where Haki isn't a thing so Luffy kept having to find things that let him punch logia fruit users. Like Luffy punching Kizaru with a mirror strapped to his fist or something.

Luffy closes his eyes so he simply can't see the light that Kizaru is firing. Everybody starts screaming angrily that this shouldn't make any difference, but it's Luffy so it does!

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I just want to see Luffy team up with Foxy to beat Kizaru.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

He's actually not that impressive.
I feel like people overcompensate in dismissing Enel's potential. If Crocodile can come back and hang out with the Emperors, Enel can come back and do the same. It's an interesting revelation that he would not effortlessly Lord it over everyone on the Blue Seas like he did in the sky, but that doesn't mean he's stuck at sub-Sanji levels. All he needs is a dream and possibly an army of moon robots to back him up.

Maybe we'll see sooner rather than later. I give this arc about even odds of going to Elbaf or Fairy Vearth. If the Space Pirates are ever going to be relevant and woven back into the main story, this is the time to do it.

I know it'll feel weird to run into an old antagonist in a completely new context, but we've already got Lucci here. Let Crocodile and whatever's left of Moria show up and you've got a full Paradise antagonist reunion.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Elbaf is going to be a decent length arc but at the end when it comes to the Poneglyph...

"Oh, that? We were worried someone would steal it so we threw it to the moon."

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Eiba posted:

I feel like people overcompensate in dismissing Enel's potential. If Crocodile can come back and hang out with the Emperors, Enel can come back and do the same. It's an interesting revelation that he would not effortlessly Lord it over everyone on the Blue Seas like he did in the sky, but that doesn't mean he's stuck at sub-Sanji levels. All he needs is a dream and possibly an army of moon robots to back him up.

Maybe we'll see sooner rather than later. I give this arc about even odds of going to Elbaf or Fairy Vearth. If the Space Pirates are ever going to be relevant and woven back into the main story, this is the time to do it.

I know it'll feel weird to run into an old antagonist in a completely new context, but we've already got Lucci here. Let Crocodile and whatever's left of Moria show up and you've got a full Paradise antagonist reunion.

I imagine a potential return of Enel being a sort of dragon ball z freeza situation; "this guy always had the potential to be disgustingly powerful, but was always just a big fish in a small pond. But he's strong now." It might make for a fun movie, I guess.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Eiba posted:

Croc’s always been a bigger deal than Enel.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i think enel would be stronger now too

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Croc can't hang with emperors though, they'd destroy him. He's strong and so is Enel but they're not top 10.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
enel has a really broke fruit and knows how to use it and mid tier observation haki. he would probably be like just shy of a yonko commander right off the bat.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Brandfarlig posted:

Croc can't hang with emperors though, they'd destroy him. He's strong and so is Enel but they're not top 10.

I could see Croc suddenly being at that level now. The relationship with Mihawk is presented as one of equals.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Drakkel posted:

This is the ideal version of One Piece.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

MonsterEnvy posted:

I could see Croc suddenly being at that level now. The relationship with Mihawk is presented as one of equals.

I think the deal with Buggy is almost entirely on the back of the followers he has and the territory he holds, since his organization is truly international. He's an emperor because he holds the territory of one, but that doesn't necessarily mean anyone in his organisation is emperor level.

On the other hand, yeah Mihawk is supposed to be a combat rival of Shanks (and simply lacks the territory/organisation to be considered an emperor). I think Crocodile might be below Mihawk, but does all the organisation stuff that Mihawk doesn't want to do.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Brandfarlig posted:

He's got an emperor shaking in his boots right now though.

Lord_Magmar posted:

I think the deal with Buggy is almost entirely on the back of the followers he has and the territory he holds, since his organization is truly international. He's an emperor because he holds the territory of one, but that doesn't necessarily mean anyone in his organisation is emperor level.

On the other hand, yeah Mihawk is supposed to be a combat rival of Shanks (and simply lacks the territory/organisation to be considered an emperor). I think Crocodile might be below Mihawk, but does all the organisation stuff that Mihawk doesn't want to do.
To be serious for a bit, I don't think Buggy's weakness means his two dangerous "underlings" are equal. Crocodile is strong, but it's his business sense and underworld connections that make him valuable to the organization. I get the impression that Mihawk in contrast is pure muscle, able to fight toe to toe with someone like Shanks.

I kind of feel like Cross Guild would basically be Mihawk's crew, if Mihawk cared at all about having a crew. He's happy to let Crocodile run the serious stuff and Buggy to be the figurehead.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I think it's bunk when people make these static observations of Power Levels being this and that as though Crocodile couldn't also have had a two year timeskip that he spent becoming more powerful.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i think croc is really strong now and kind of always was and it was just a plot hole you can kind of use haki to explain away (croc got wrecked and getting wrecked makes ur haki weaker bc its litearlly willpower and being sad makes will power worse) and oda just kinda hosed up bc of the scale of the story

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
If I recall Oda said he introduced Crocodile too early for his level in the story.

Like I can easily see the final Pirate battle for the One Piece being a three way fight between Luffy, Blackbeard, and Crocodile with Buggy cowering in the corner.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Bleck posted:

I think it's bunk when people make these static observations of Power Levels being this and that as though Crocodile couldn't also have had a two year timeskip that he spent becoming more powerful.
"Not on the same level as Mihawk" is not exactly weak if you consider Mihawk is in Shanks league, who was in Whitebeard's league. I'm not saying Crocodile isn't incredibly strong, and presumably much stronger after he got a new dream right before the time skip.

That doesn't mean he's gotta be Mihawk's equal.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Buggy's whole deal is his organizational bullshitting skills. He is Emperor level by taking the "power of this crew" to the nth degree. His crew is, in aggregate, considered one of the strongest even if their (now figurehead) leader is a putz. Cross Guild is recognized for the danger it poses in totality, not individually.

Eiba posted:

"Not on the same level as Mihawk" is not exactly weak if you consider Mihawk is in Shanks league, who was in Whitebeard's league. I'm not saying Crocodile isn't incredibly strong, and presumably much stronger after he got a new dream right before the time skip.

That doesn't mean he's gotta be Mihawk's equal.

Mihawk was at one point Shanks-level, but that was before Shanks was a Yonko, which he only did some time after losing his arm and Mihawk losing interest in dueling him. At present in the story Mihawk is absolutely not Shanks' equal. Mihawk has ostensibly no ambition or interest in much of anything, as opposed to Shanks clearly having some as-of-yet unknown "master plan".

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

He's actually not that impressive.

Don't care, still love him ❤️

Also you're wrong, come at me bro

EDIT: ⬆️ this guy gets it, Shanks has no interest in the Game of Thrones power struggle, he's the dude living his Best Life and since he's so good at it he decides to roll with the Kingmaker status he's been given and steer the world order in the right direction

White Light fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 27, 2022

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Reminder that Luffy only beat Crocodile through an intense amount of luck.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I think when Enel returns he will have the same kind of retcon-like powerup as Crocodile. You can say any armament haki user could beat him all you want but I would assume his lightning at max power is much stronger than what Nami or Big Mom can create, and we know that's at least strong enough to KO someone like Ulti.

We only saw max power attacks against Luffy who is immune to the direct damage from them. If he even got a little stronger offscreeb it'd be very easy to slot him in the billion+ bounty level right now.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah Croc's a victim of power creep but he's also the guy who literally beat Luffy twice decisively before losing. And Luffy nearly died all 3 times.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

MonsterEnvy posted:

If I recall Oda said he introduced Crocodile too early for his level in the story.

This has been said multiple times in the thread and every time somebody asks for the source and nobody has it, iirc.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Anyways more fanart time cause we just had break week.

This post is ポテトルス! They've done a lot of series-type pieces that I dig!

Spoilers for Film Red! Sorta. I just watched Film Red in Korea yesterday so I'm in a very big Film Red mood.

Movie villains! And not just One Piece Film ones!

https://twitter.com/kankan33333/status/1570141654946025474
https://twitter.com/kankan33333/status/1589333898307473408
https://twitter.com/kankan33333/status/1589699549119250432
https://twitter.com/kankan33333/status/1589863852262711297
https://twitter.com/kankan33333/status/1589900315838775297
https://twitter.com/kankan33333/status/1589981946326966274

This one's cool, it's a series of images of each of Uta's songs from the movie!

https://twitter.com/kankan33333/status/1574494529150849024

Another series I really dig, and the one that made me wanna post this artist here. It's the artist's take on the ending of Film Red, where you see the people from the movie return to their lives after the events of the movie. It's neat because it includes the movie villains, too. You can also tell the artist buys into "the guy meeting with Crocus was Shiki" theory.

https://twitter.com/kankan33333/status/1573011467997020160
https://twitter.com/kankan33333/status/1573011606979477505
https://twitter.com/kankan33333/status/1573011677410254848
https://twitter.com/kankan33333/status/1573011777574428672
https://twitter.com/kankan33333/status/1573011872801882112
https://twitter.com/kankan33333/status/1573028056465145857

Some other random Film Red pieces.

https://twitter.com/kankan33333/status/1570997324444475392
https://twitter.com/kankan33333/status/1568320472269594626

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 27, 2022

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Gonna go turn my brain off and watch Movie 5 cause I dig the hell out of the villain design and it's dope they actually decided to dive into Zoro's pirate hunter days. It did a better job at embellishing Zoro's backstory than loving Wano (lol)

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Crazyeyes posted:

Mihawk was at one point Shanks-level, but that was before Shanks was a Yonko, which he only did some time after losing his arm and Mihawk losing interest in dueling him. At present in the story Mihawk is absolutely not Shanks' equal. Mihawk has ostensibly no ambition or interest in much of anything, as opposed to Shanks clearly having some as-of-yet unknown "master plan".
I mean that might be true. But it might not be. Mihawk said he was no longer interested in Shanks because he no longer was a worthy rival or whatever. You seem to be assuming that's not the case and he just gave up for other reasons and now Shanks is way stronger. Honestly, that's plausible. But so is the idea that Mihawk is just that strong as an individual, and Shanks is a Yonkou because of his orginization/influence/interest in the One Piece/something else that Mihawk lacks. I don't think we have any reasonable evidence to the contrary.

Just because Shanks has a higher "rank" doesn't mean he's obviously stronger. We don't really have any evidence on the subject besides some insinuation from Mihawk.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Crocodile is cool and strong and stylish and my friend

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Do we agree that Enel was just making those numbers up for the attacks, right?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Eiba posted:

I mean that might be true. But it might not be. Mihawk said he was no longer interested in Shanks because he no longer was a worthy rival or whatever. You seem to be assuming that's not the case and he just gave up for other reasons and now Shanks is way stronger. Honestly, that's plausible. But so is the idea that Mihawk is just that strong as an individual, and Shanks is a Yonkou because of his orginization/influence/interest in the One Piece/something else that Mihawk lacks. I don't think we have any reasonable evidence to the contrary.

Just because Shanks has a higher "rank" doesn't mean he's obviously stronger. We don't really have any evidence on the subject besides some insinuation from Mihawk.

It's specifically related to Shanks losing his dominant arm, he's no longer a worthwhile rival Swordsman specifically.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So, all the Seraphim are devil fruit powered modified clone/cyborg hybrids, who play off the innate abilities of the original. However, one thing that One Piece has made very clear is that every swordsman/woman gets good through hard work and dedication. Swordsmanship isn't innate, it's earned. So why is Seraphim Mihawk a sword dude?

Unless it's just setting up for the Marines to send in Seraphim Mihawk against an actual sword dude who mercs it and then lectures the Marines about swordsmanship.

Funky Valentine posted:

Reminder that Luffy only beat Crocodile through an intense amount of luck.

Nah, Cobra loading up Alabasta's ancient Dvorak Tone Dial was a huge assist.

Also it's always badass as gently caress when Crocodile realizes Luffy's attacks are connecting because kid's using his own blood instead of water.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Another series I really dig, and the one that made me wanna post this artist here. It's the artist's take on the ending of Film Red, where you see the people from the movie return to their lives after the events of the movie. It's neat because it includes the movie villains, too. You can also tell the artist buys into "the guy meeting with Crocus was Shiki" theory.

They're all good, but the one of Im is great.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's specifically related to Shanks losing his dominant arm, he's no longer a worthwhile rival Swordsman specifically.
I understand that but it's not clear if that's true. Is shanks a worse swordsman with one arm? Does that mean he's currently a weaker fighter than he used to be? Is he somehow a worse swordsman but still stronger in general (maybe because of haki)?

My general impression was that they were on the same level, and Mihawk stopped testing himself against Shanks after he lost his arm, and so we don't have any notion of how powerful they are vs each other anymore. In other words I have no reason to believe that one has meaningfully surpassed the other.

You could imagine that Mihawk stopped giving a poo poo and fell behind Shanks and his haki or whatever, or you can imagine that Shanks losing an arm actually made a difference and Mihawk is actually way stronger in terms of dueling ability specifically. Who knows. But my position is that I'm not going to assume Mihawk is somehow way weaker than Shanks when the only evidence we have is that Mihawk doesn't consider Shanks a worthy rival anymore.

That's a bunch of words to say that "the world's greatest swordsman" is probably pretty strong.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mihawk's power level should always be number 2 slightly behind whoever is the strongest, so when Luffy beats the strongest and Zoro beats Mihawk he will be in his rightful place.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Eiba posted:

I understand that but it's not clear if that's true. Is shanks a worse swordsman with one arm? Does that mean he's currently a weaker fighter than he used to be? Is he somehow a worse swordsman but still stronger in general (maybe because of haki)?

This is my guess. There has to be some way for him to compete and earn his Yonko title. His crew has no devil fruits and his swordsmanship is worse since he lost the arm (according to Mihawk losing interest in fighting him, the guy seems pretty good at assessing sword ability). So Haki seems to be the place where he could make up the difference and for all we know Shanks is the strongest Conqueror's Haki user alive right now. Though fighting someone like that probably isn't interesting to Mihawk because swords is his thing. It's not like Mihawk is rushing to fight someone like Kaido.

So even if Shanks is stronger than Mihawk overall, it would still make sense for Mihawk to have no interest in someone who isn't going to match his swordsmanship.

But yeah, no idea who'd win in a fight, but I don't think Mihawk's lack of interest means that Shanks must be weaker than him.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Eiba posted:

My general impression was that they were on the same level, and Mihawk stopped testing himself against Shanks after he lost his arm, and so we don't have any notion of how powerful they are vs each other anymore. In other words I have no reason to believe that one has meaningfully surpassed the other.

You could imagine that Mihawk stopped giving a poo poo and fell behind Shanks and his haki or whatever, or you can imagine that Shanks losing an arm actually made a difference and Mihawk is actually way stronger in terms of dueling ability specifically. Who knows. But my position is that I'm not going to assume Mihawk is somehow way weaker than Shanks when the only evidence we have is that Mihawk doesn't consider Shanks a worthy rival anymore.

That's a bunch of words to say that "the world's greatest swordsman" is probably pretty strong.

Shanks isn't Inigo Montoya. Losing his dominant hand would mean that his dueling on a strict swordsmanship bases will be worse than before. Maybe he's been practicing for the last 12 years and he's got that edge back, but it's doubtful that Shanks is as good a pure swordsman as he was.

It's important to remember that pure swordsmanship and friendly dueling isn't the same as overall fighting ability and damage ability. Sparing is different from fighting just as much with weapons as it is unarmed. So Shanks and Mihawk having sick duels doesn't actually tell you how strong they are relative to each other. Like, maybe me and my buddy love to box each other, but I'm actually a kickboxer and he's a regular boxer. Losing one of my arms is going to affect me far differently than him, but he's definitely not going to want to spar with me anymore.

This is especially important with Shanks, a guy we've never actually seen fight before. Like, before he lost his arm did he dual wield, use a shield, or some odd way of coating his non-dominant hand in haki? What if he had a weird as gently caress capoeira swordsmanship style that he's had to completely rework now that he can't do hand stands? Maybe he was actually the strongest fighter in the world before, but now he's just top tier.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lord_Magmar posted:

Though notably Shanks has gotten stronger since then, he was not even an Emperor when he lost it.

Mihawk probably is just not interested, cause he feels it's a handicap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

He had a 1bil bounty when he lost his arm