Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It depends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Bob Mundon posted:

Noted, good to hear. Is it handy to have both standard & metric, or should I be better off going with this one?

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/specialty-hand-tools/tap-die-sets/carbon-steel-sae-tap-and-die-set-40-piece-62831.html

If you're working on anything around the house from cars to appliances to lawn equipment I'd say it is pretty necessary to have both. Depends on what you need.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
One thing to keep in mind about the cheapy tap and die sets is the wrench is going to be extra garbage.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'm looking to pick up a standard bench vise - anybody have thoughts on Harbor Freight's Central Forge swivel vise line?

They've got a 5" on for $60, while almost everything used I find on craigslist is a janky piece of rusted poo poo people want more than brand new prices for. Idgi

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm looking to pick up a standard bench vise - anybody have thoughts on Harbor Freight's Central Forge swivel vise line?

They've got a 5" on for $60, while almost everything used I find on craigslist is a janky piece of rusted poo poo people want more than brand new prices for. Idgi

Vintage vises are a thing.

I have a cheapo Irwin vise from amazon and it's fine, and I've heard that the HF ones are fine, but my upgrade to a proper wooden leg vise was a gamechanger.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Bench Grinder question: What type of wheel should I use to grind stainless steel and keep a decent finish on? I'm looking at grinding down some Swiss Army Knife parts to a different profile.

My grinder is an ancient 6"x3/4"x1/2" one I got for free but seems to be in working order. I am thinking the wheel from this combo would be fine? https://www.amazon.com/Grinder-Grin...04&sr=8-19&th=1

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 27, 2022

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Johnny Truant posted:

I think the central forge vice did alright on Project Farm's comparison from a few weeks ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFDOGoMXHNk

if you don't want to see the tests he has the results toward the end of the video where he shows everything compared in bar charts and such.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I broke a hf vice once. It took putting an 8' pipe on the handle and cranking on a comealong attached to the end. The handle and screw were fine the piece that travels inside snapped from the pressure.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Vintage vises are a thing.

Lol I can definitely see that but it's literally every fuckin vise within 100 miles is "5" vise, 3 years old, a little love but I know what I have no low-balls!" and it's this absolute piece of poo poo, visible pieces falling off, priced more than a brand new one of the same brand

Squibbles posted:

I think the central forge vice did alright on Project Farm's comparison from a few weeks ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFDOGoMXHNk

if you don't want to see the tests he has the results toward the end of the video where he shows everything compared in bar charts and such.

Tight, thank you!

Guyver posted:

I broke a hf vice once. It took putting an 8' pipe on the handle and cranking on a comealong attached to the end. The handle and screw were fine the piece that travels inside snapped from the pressure.

Lol I doubt I'd be using it for anything that intense so this sounds like a positive point

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Is it a bad idea/unsafe to buy one of those plastic “universal” router base plates, attach my Dewalt router to that, and then mount that under an aluminum table plate?

I have a DWP611 and I got a Rockler table with a basically undrilled plate (three total holes, 4 inches apart) off Marketplace. If there’s a cheap, safe way to make this work (aka not “buy another router”), that’d be ideal. I don’t have a drill press, so I’m not sure if I could drill new holes accurately.

I know the router isn’t designed for table usage, but I’m very much at the beginning of this journey and truly don’t need more than what it provides.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Johnny Truant posted:

a big hunk of cast iron in an approximately useful shape has always been where Harbor Freight really shines.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone have opinions on the different car jacks at harbor freight or otherwise?

Used my friend's this past weekend: https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...blue-56641.html

But thinking of getting an aluminum one because they're awkward things: https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/jacks-jack-stands/floor-jacks/2-ton-aluminum-racing-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-64542.html

2 ton is plenty for my 2600lb car.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Super cool video showing how they used radial arm saws in a production manner during WWII:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiGH0Qsu3ak&t=886s

I love the clever jig they show at ~6:30 to gang cut the stringers.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Russian Bear posted:

Used my friend's this past weekend: https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...blue-56641.html

But thinking of getting an aluminum one because they're awkward things: https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/jacks-jack-stands/floor-jacks/2-ton-aluminum-racing-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-64542.html

I have the 2nd linked Aluminum jack because I drive a small Prius and the jack was very cheap.

Pros: cheap, light, easy to use, functions smoothly and doesn't feel flimsy or wobbly.

Cons: The total lift height is a big problem if you are lifting anywhere except the body points behind the front wheel / in front of the rear wheel. For example trying to jack up the prius on the jack point under the engine compartment it will not lift the vehicle high enough to get even the small HF jack stands underneath it and I have to use a massive wooden block as a spacer (not really comfortable using that tbh). Likewise using it to lift a higher clearance vehicle (2018 RAV4) it will not lift the rear axle high enough to put a small HF jackstand underneath either, unless you use a block / spacer.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd just buy the larger jack with the greater lift height even if it was more expensive, ymmv.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Russian Bear posted:

project farm did a review on floor jacks just a couple months ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5_64r2PR7A

tldr: all the harbor freight jacks did very well, but it's worth watching to get a better idea of the differenecs between them

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

project farm did a review on floor jacks just a couple months ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5_64r2PR7A

tldr: all the harbor freight jacks did very well, but it's worth watching to get a better idea of the differenecs between them

Just watch out for their transmission jacks apparently
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djNqJGDWSSw

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
And don't use their jack stands. No matter how many times they recall them.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

H110Hawk posted:

And don't use their jack stands. No matter how many times they recall them.

Who do you like for Jack stands?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

That Works posted:

I believe ESCO stands are the Goon Approved™ jack stands.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Super cool video showing how they used radial arm saws in a production manner during WWII:

Very cool. 22" blades, no guards, long sleeves, everyone hatted... the 40s were wacky.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

My favorite part is the very beginning, talking about how table saws were old-fashioned and you spent so much time setting up for the next cut. And now 60-80 years later we decided that maybe the safety benefits of the table saw were worth the extra time spent in setup. Then again that table saw they were showing looked pretty basic, possibly even handmade, I wonder what DeWalt and Stanley and others were making in the realm of big-rear end industrial table saws in the 40s.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

That Works posted:

I defer to others /AI I just know that harbor freight has had to recall a LOT of jackstands for what amount to complete lack of QC on their castings. Basically same as every thing else they sell but it's PPE to keep the car from mushing you.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

sharkytm posted:

Very cool. 22" blades, no guards, long sleeves, everyone hatted... the 40s were wacky.

There was a war on, mister! People get hurt in wars. Also the blade had a guard. Carbide tipped blades and cutters was a thing yet to be discovered.

Guys with the table saw were the scary part, imo. They had basically no idea what they were doing.

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 28, 2022

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
When I was a kid we had an old hand built table saw, motor on the floor with a huge belt, from probably the drat 30's that we used for everything. A terrifying piece of equipment but I do still have all my fingers so.....

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

I defer to others /AI I just know that harbor freight has had to recall a LOT of jackstands for what amount to complete lack of QC on their castings. Basically same as every thing else they sell but it's PPE to keep the car from mushing you.

It was welds one time, castings another time.....yeah, don't trust them.

I and several others in here have the Pro-Lifts with the extra locking pin you can put in the ratchet once it's at the height you want. I bought a set of 3 and 6 tons as soon as I heard about the HF stand recall here. They are very very obviously much higher quality.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Why would you use jack stands when you could steal 12" oak blocks from work?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

It was welds one time, castings another time.....yeah, don't trust them.

It's comically hard to track and I believe they literally had to do what amounted to a complete recall of their various lines of them, including one of the replacement lines for the original recall. (Might be just the second line they had to recall were the store replacement models for the first recalled ones.) Given the quality of them its my opinion accuracy isn't important because they are all not to be trusted.

I wonder if the weld failed ones would show casting flaws if the welds had held up? :v:

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

sharkytm posted:

Back when men were men and sheep were scared :911:

Are hats unsafe around power tools? Or are you just pointing out how old timey they looked

FISHMANPET posted:

My favorite part is the very beginning, talking about how table saws were old-fashioned and you spent so much time setting up for the next cut. And now 60-80 years later we decided that maybe the safety benefits of the table saw were worth the extra time spent in setup. Then again that table saw they were showing looked pretty basic, possibly even handmade, I wonder what DeWalt and Stanley and others were making in the realm of big-rear end industrial table saws in the 40s.

Haha good call , that didn’t even register as a table saw at first. I dunno wtf they were doing w it to get that chopping action with it from below

To be fair, I think RAS is better compared with mitre saw than a table saw, and it’s still probably the superior tool for cross cuts and simple miter cuts. Maybe not for exact compound cutting or trim stuff, but man those RAS just seem like such workhorses.

I worked with an old timer who told me that trailer-mounted radial arm saws were at all the production framing sites in his day and they would run all day, gang cutting their way through a cut list. Those were all square cuts though, nothing like the creativity on display in that DeWalt video.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I have almost that exact saw, probably made in the 50s. Mine is 14 or 16" and I think the ones in that video look bigger, but even just crosscutting with mine scares me to death, much less doing all the stuff they show there. The shaper/moulder head is cool as heck and the idea of a shaper head that can move around like that is seriously tempting and could be very useful, but also holy gently caress scary.

The lumber industry's contribution to the war effort is often forgotten compared to tanks, trucks, ships and guns, but it was HUGE. Tons of bases and training camps shot up overnight, not to mention bridging timbers, crates, etc. and that increase in capacity made the postwar housing boom in large part possible.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I remember sears used to sell a hss shaper head just like that with removable cutters. That seemed dicey.
Those big radial arms on a trailer were definitely a thing back in the day. Frame carpenters didn't need a whole lot of tools. That was all Dewalt was known for for quite some time until they branched out around the 80s I guess.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Squibbles posted:

Just watch out for their transmission jacks apparently
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djNqJGDWSSw

To be fair that is a massive transmission that is uniquely unwieldy even as far as transmissions go. But seeing how it racked over, I'm glad I have the "worse" HF scissor-style jack for that sort of work.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Mr. Mambold posted:

I remember sears used to sell a hss shaper head just like that with removable cutters. That seemed dicey.
Those big radial arms on a trailer were definitely a thing back in the day. Frame carpenters didn't need a whole lot of tools. That was all Dewalt was known for for quite some time until they branched out around the 80s I guess.

DeWalt did less "branching out" and more "jettisoning the business". Stanley (now, of course, Stanley Black & Decker) bought them in 1960 and sold the RAS business in 1989, turning the brand into generic power tools.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The only stuff I get at HF are things that fall into "how could you make a version that doesn't work," "it has to work exactly once," and a small mountain of those little boxcutters they have at the checkout.

"If it breaks, I get mushed" is right out. I'm also surprised how many of their ratcheting bar clamps I've destroyed via light duty use.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

IOwnCalculus posted:

To be fair that is a massive transmission that is uniquely unwieldy even as far as transmissions go. But seeing how it racked over, I'm glad I have the "worse" HF scissor-style jack for that sort of work.

For sure, but it was rated for more than the weight he used, and as he points out in the video it's pretty poorly made in general.

I'm thinking the way to consider hf stuff is, "is there any way this could possibly kill or main me if it falls?" If yes, look elsewhere.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Do we have a harbor freight dremel with various death wheels on them? Yes.

Do we only use them with 3M not counterfeit safety glasses? Also yes.

Mush is low on my list of things to be in a given day.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I have almost that exact saw, probably made in the 50s. Mine is 14 or 16" and I think the ones in that video look bigger, but even just crosscutting with mine scares me to death, much less doing all the stuff they show there. The shaper/moulder head is cool as heck and the idea of a shaper head that can move around like that is seriously tempting and could be very useful, but also holy gently caress scary.

The lumber industry's contribution to the war effort is often forgotten compared to tanks, trucks, ships and guns, but it was HUGE. Tons of bases and training camps shot up overnight, not to mention bridging timbers, crates, etc. and that increase in capacity made the postwar housing boom in large part possible.

Do you still use the RAS for anything? I still see them used at the home centers for cross cutting lumber, surprisingly enough. I want one when i have the space, if only for the historical significance.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'm looking for a high pressure washer that's more powerful and durable than your usual consumer grade stuff. I found this one for 40 euros which is about my budget! Looks pretty brutal.

3ph motor, 4kw and it runs. But not problem free. Might have frozen. The pump casting isn't broken but seller says there's leakage at the pistons. Pump uses four separate stages pistons to increase pressure each time. It's designed to work with hot water as well. I'm not too familiar with these kinds of pumps though and what could be wrong with it. Hoping it's something fixable, or I just got a pile of scrap except the motor.

But 40 bucks is about what the motor is worth.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

See if you can get a make/model off of the pump itself. Hopefully it is something that rebuild or seal kits are available for. I'm more familiar with the CAT or general triplex pumps, but those are not a big deal to rebuild.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Do you still use the RAS for anything? I still see them used at the home centers for cross cutting lumber, surprisingly enough. I want one when i have the space, if only for the historical significance.

I really don’t because my sliding 12” miter saw has almost the same reach and is much, much less scary. If I had a smaller/less scary RAS I think I would keep a dado stack in it and use it for tenoning and cross-cutting dados.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Squibbles posted:

For sure, but it was rated for more than the weight he used, and as he points out in the video it's pretty poorly made in general.

I'm thinking the way to consider hf stuff is, "is there any way this could possibly kill or main me if it falls?" If yes, look elsewhere.

Yeah, I'm not suggesting that it should have failed in that situation - but looking at how tall that transmission is, I'm not the least bit surprised that it did. The chain holddown setup on it looks so loving flimsy, I'd trust a no-name ratchet strap more.

I've only used my scissor-style one for much lighter weight things anyway. I think the heaviest I've had on it was either a half full gas tank or a transfer case.