Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Salisbury Snape posted:

I attended an emergency reinstatement in some poor residents house where the pressure in the sewage system had built up and during a storm (2018 iirc) and had blown back up through the toilet in the upstairs bathroom, continued to flow and flooded the downstairs in a foot of lovely piss water.
I no longer deal with water/sewage, no amount of money is worth dealing with that carnage.

Alright so like, is that a tear down situation? I hear stories about how post-fire the fumes can linger for years, something like a sewage fantasia has to be worse right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

The short story is no, though it would have probably been cheaper to knock it down and start again.
It has since been sold and is now a second home.

I'm sure this wouldn't happen to njan though, far more likely his Tesla will combust

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Enough poo.

I've left some of the progress on the roof alone whilst focusing on the poo situation for narrative clarity. But I've still been going on the roof in the meanwhile.

Its quite slow, not just because my attentions are split, but because work on the backside of the roof now means mortaring the ridges as I go... I'm capable of like 8 a day at a good jog.

You can see how we've lifted up the skylights prior to installation in their packaging. Then lift across with the big suckers. Also using a special bespoke made protective thing on top of the skylight to allow me to tile and ridge mortar past each one.

Where we get to the corner of the plant room roof, use a piece of aluminium under the tiles to keep a nice underlay waterproof level between switch in tiles and slates

The whole way along I've been using these plastic and timber little guards that I tuck under the tiles on either side whilst I reach over and mortar the ridges, to catch any falling mortar. Hence why its so slow.

lot going on, very slow progress to make sure I don't gently caress anything up.

The last skylight in particular was difficult as we had to carry it up past and before the slate plant room roof. But good planning will mean I don't make any dumb mistakes.

All planned out and ready to go

Done.

And protective element laid out. Its a bit windy so I laid out a couple of tiles there on top of the guard to weigh it down. Can't be too careful.

WTF!

Cock and absolute balls.

Should not have laid those tiles on. Changed my technique. Maneuvered the guard just slightly to assess tile layout and they slipped. Like two inches if that... knock on the edge of the glass.

SHATTERED

Stop crying and man up. Yank the window out.

And deal with the fix.

Which means going and buying another one.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Towards an L shape architecture: But good planning will mean I don't make any dumb mistakes

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Looks like hard work, you must have been shattered :v:

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007
whenever i am having a bad day, i come back to this thread to get a reality check that it could be worse.

thanks.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

That really sucks dude, sorry to see it. The windows and tiles do look great though. I'm still amazed none of those tile stacks came down.

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

lot going on, very slow progress to make sure I don't gently caress anything up.

Yeah ok bud

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Ok so need to reinstall that skylight.

But also need to put the woodburner chimney flue in the roof at much the same location.

need to keep all materials 5cm away from flue because it can go on fire. The guys that sell this poo poo are incredibly loath to help. As with everything.

Also need to install some extra timber under the roof to take supports for the chimney.

I forget what this is called but the metal over cover thing, they wont sell in black even though everything else is so have to paint it.

There is sweet spot 600mm horizontally from the ridge point that allows the chimney to not be too tall. So need to get it fitted there.

Like this. Oh but I'm not copnnecting any of the lower chimney yet so its just going to sit on this temporary support for now.

Bolt it on either side and use my homemade flashing pieces from the windows

Install the.. I dunno cowl?

Oh yeah window is back in. And theyve changed the design so its blacker than the other ones. eurgh.

And finish roof off around it all. Also note the nice tidy finish along the valley where each tile needs cutting.

And then back down the other side of the valley.

Also need to install these slightly ugly but eurgh whatever air vents for the HVAC system. An in and an out that need to be like 1.5m apart.

This will go on the inside.

Nothing broke.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 25, 2022

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Nothing broke.
booo

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I love my Schiedel chimney, it's not steel but a type of cast mortar and ceramics and is very safe, and the draft is insane.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I *think* that bit is a shroud and the bit that goes atop the chimminy is the cowl.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

That window near the chimney is going to get filthy fast, you know... until you break it again

but other than that it actually looks great

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Now setting off down the final roof element. here we have the two air vents as mentioned and three top hung velux windows to accommodate.

Its a question of straining my massive, muscular belly against the window frames and following the instructions. Pretty straight forward.

And slowly making progress with the ridge tiles all the while.

But we also have another issue crop up.

So you know all those mature trees near the building that we couldn't chop down because we're in a conservation area? Meaning we had to do a years worth of really complicated expensive foundation work? And how we could have maybe faced a fine of maybe £20k if we messed with them? And also even if we did it would still take the ground two years to recover and allow us to do normal foundations?

Yeah. Well two years and 100k of foundations later they've all inexplicably died.

Pretty loving typical.

We now don't need permission to cut them down cos they're dead and a risk. Infact if we leave them up, given theyre all on the property boundaries, we risk being held responsible for any damage they cause if they come down. Even though I don't need permission to fell them I have to apply for an exemption for permission. lol. Yeah they straight away accept it from the photos. gently caress sake.

So rig up the basket on the digger forks and get to cutting them all down.

Where it gets complicated over the fences, plan is to strap to digger fork, cut off and drive away.

The chop up into logs. Probably got a couple of grands worth given energy costs.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 27, 2022

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

'Had to spend an astronomical amount on special foundations because of boundary trees which then died' about sums up the thread.

Honestly I would have rolled over and died long before this point, you have the tenacity of a loving honey badger to still be going.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Can't ID from the photos, ash? Dieback is cataclysmic at the moment.

Great wood too, if it hasn't been felled using a digger.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

elms, i am told, and a crack willow

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Elm is quite nice.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Willows are pioneer species renowned for their survivalism. And still, you killed it.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Just remember to hide the bottle of glyphosate and plug the holes you drilled into the trunk to inject it.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

RIP trees,
Thought of L shaped architecture and died

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Those trees looked like standard boring ones anyway, why the gently caress were they protected in the first place?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Tomarse posted:

Turd Law is complicated poo poo.

Turd lawyer here. No, seriously. I work in public administration and a small part of that is setting up and admining public sewer development and access as part of development deals. I figure out OPs poo blues for a living.

My thoughts on that :nexus: post in no particular order:

- Wait is that what constitutes a public sewer main access in the UK??? Turns out no, but what the gently caress.

- He tried to access a public sewer main by himself????? Turds out, no, but I was already drafting the fines in my head.

Our system is a little bit different from the UK though. Mostly, mains systems are municipal property and heavily legislated om, to the point where our WSD-service potentially would have required OP to either dig to the closest actual main or could have allowed connection to a private solution where there's a complicated formula to calculate what the private pipe owner would be owed. OPs pipe (on his own land?) would where I live either sole owned by his property or owned communally between the properties.

The only problem I can see with OP solution knowing nothing about UK law or the actual situation with that pipe would be if the addition of his sewage would contribute to a blockage before it reaches public mains (which over here would be an insurance issue for the communal pipe owners), but seeing as the wastewater company(?) is responsible from the drain that's not much of an issue.

Water, sewage and drains is a much much bigger issue for construction and public infrastructure than people realise, but frankly most people couldn't point to their own water pipe if you held a gun to their head. Funny, since a rupture is a hugely expensive deal and the municipality can force an eviction if there's no running water in the house.

Anyway, OP did a good :iiapa: job.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Hope that next door’s renovation/ development goes well then!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'm glad my house is at the top in a slope. Poo runs downward.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'm glad my house is at the top in a slope. Poo runs downward.

poo poo always rolls downhill. Piss trickles though.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ratjaculation posted:

Can't ID from the photos, ash? Dieback is cataclysmic at the moment.

Great wood too, if it hasn't been felled using a digger.

Funny, just filed police charges on a developer for chopping down some ash trees. They probably would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for the fact that they went over the property line into the adjacent public park to knock down some of a preserved ash forest that particular municipality has a conservation effort on.

Sometimes tree law can be a lot of fun.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Nice piece of fish posted:

Funny, just filed police charges on a developer for chopping down some ash trees. They probably would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for the fact that they went over the property line into the adjacent public park to knock down some of a preserved ash forest that particular municipality has a conservation effort on.

Sometimes tree law can be a lot of fun.

Bastards. It's a nice feeling catching them though, eh!

At my old job my life was largely dealing with tree drama, notably neighbouring houses thinking our nature reserve was their personal log supply.

Part of the site had a blanket TPO (tree protection order, likely what protected 99's trees). We got approval to take down some huge ash that were becoming potentially dangerous due to dieback. It came down beautifully so good wood, perfect for making some site furniture from. Overnight the main stem of the felled tree disappeared, but there was a lovely drag mark going up the track and then along the road and into a posh house, who absolutely shat themselves when we pointed out it was theft. He wrecked his car strapping the wood to the tow bar and dragging it home, so lol

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Im in a conservation area. Actually half the plot is but its dubious how that works and the boundary line is a big fat pen drawn on a spinning globe with no one really prepared to state what that actually means.

It means all the trees over 75mm diameter trunk at like I dunno shoulder height are protected by an implicit TPO. So you have to ask permission to do anything, ANYTHING to them. This is clearly bollocks and ignored as long as (or perhaps even if) youre chopping down massive old trees cos theres next to nothing on the planning website in terms of records and when I tried to engage them over chopping down these dead ones they didn't know the rules and were completely freaked out by me seeming to and talking to them at all.

Anyway once a tree is dead its all null and void you just give them a weeks notice and chop it down. So I dont know why more people arent cleverer about murdering trees but good they arent I guess. I didn't want to lose any of these trees. Trees are what give a place character. Especially, I feel, when its costs you probably 100k in associated foundation costs.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

So... run out of roof tiles... I think. Remaining roof is already loaded up but think I'm going to be short.

Luckily found a really nice roofer over in Peterborough who has a whole yard of tiles close enough and charges next to nothing.

They don't quite match and the whole point of mixing tiles was to do it from the start so its was nicely mixed. But anyway.

Also, woodburner delivered.

My phone camera is poo poo now. full of dust.

Need to dismantle the back to get a look at how the pipework... works to plan the plumbing.

Anyway back on to finishing this roof, last bit, finishing these ridges up on the last bit.

Some of you will remember this. I guess you've seen all this. But its time now.

But I turn up the next day and something feels off.

Wtf? why is this fence panel out?

Ahhh

Cameras been hosed up.

We've been robbed.

You can see the, derelict because the pub company are cunts, pub lockup broken into.

The front fence had been dismantled and thrown aside, I've moved it back and later reconnected it because noone from the pub would come out to fix it.

So they were too dumb to take the camera with them. As I'm also too dumb to have it uploading anywhere.

So heres my crook.

So plan is to drag the dead pickup (I cleverly bought and immediately blew up) up to the back of the gate so no one can bring a vehicle in and re rob us properly.

Oh. and then. then pick up a big log and drop it on the pinch point in.

And then get back to finishing the roof.

Heres a 2pound coin set in the corner of the roof which is apparently a thing.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

What kind of oval office steals from a half finished building?
Presumably hoping to steal copper wiring ready to be put in or something?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It's not the first time you've had people steal from site either IIRC.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
That looks like a very nice roof.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
It's either copper wiring or pipes but the latter is less common with PEX and such, or tools that they're after. Cordless battery-powered tools in particular have such a particular habit of walking off site they might as well have legs.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Other than cutting your wire, did the thieves get much?

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

That looks like a very nice roof.

Seconded. I love that style.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

freelop posted:

What kind of oval office steals from a half finished building?
Presumably hoping to steal copper wiring ready to be put in or something?

There's a residential home someone is building down the street from me. It's on a large heavily wooded lot, so they've had a lot of clearing equipment there for a couple of months now as they're doing site prep. They have one of these parked on site and block the entrance with an excavator.

Feel sorry for the people living right across the street that have a super annoying blue strobe going 24/7 right into their bedroom windows.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Can I just say a big thanks to poster Vim Fuego, who has never offered less than their full bodied support for the project.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
:cheers:

Whenever I'm feeling down about the duration, cost or state of any of my projects I can turn to this thread or Jaded Burnout's infinite remodeling zone for a pick me up. It's like a pep talk from the forums. Thanks for posting it all as the horrible journey it really is rather than some twee before & after shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

So the weather is getting worse. Lots of rain.

Weirdly, and worryingly the shitpump tank keeps filling up. Which is odd because theres nothing connected to it.

You can see the water trickling in.

I guess I haven't got pictures but I ended up dragging a go pro on a little sledge through my sewer with an led headlamp on the end to see what was what. And I've identified where the water ingress seems to be happening.

Its loving C3P0. So I have to exhume him

Eurgh its not easy to figure out how to fix it. loving deal with it later.

Meanwhile need to lay this i dunno 300microns or something? I'm guessing. Damp course throughout the whole house before laying insulation, underfloor heating and screed.

Making good progress.

But starting to get a bit irritated. Doesnt seem to be going far enough. I bought rolls that are 4m by 25m.

So why is this roll like a good foot shy of that?

lol and all my tapes to seal up a nice membrane?

knobheads at toolstation have put a stanley knife through the packaging and sliced them all. ffs.

Underfloor heating pipe arrives. But I'm in bed.

Fortunately there in time for insulation.

of course the windscreen wipers on the digger dont work

And lol I fall down the hole I dug the other week

But eventually all set down mostly ok

Then get to work installing it in the floor.

So you may notice theres two types of insulation. And yes I've cheaped out. Lots of people expressed confusion at my 200mm of floor insulation which I inherited from plans bought with the site. So I ran the numbers and realised if I installed cheaper non PIR insulation for the first 100mm I was losing such minimal points on the SAP score that it was kind of a no brainer, and I saved a few thousand pounds.

And I could probably also just lie to everyone and say I put two layers of really good insulation in if anyone ever kicked off.

So yeah I did that. Also planning the kitche massing out