Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The Management posted:

when we have robots that are capable of autonomously doing this then we can colonize mars.

And by then they'll hopefully have learned that humans ruin everything and shoot all arriving spacecraft out of the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The Management posted:

when we have robots that are capable of autonomously doing this then we can colonize mars.

I know just the man for the job.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

The Management posted:

mars permanent habitation is pointless and a terrible idea. there is almost no value to being on mars. there’s no current path to a self-sustaining colony, which means relying on supplies from earth for the foreseeable future.

mars can be colonized when we can send robots that will essentially bootstrap a self sustaining human habitat. and by bootstrap I mean:

build a solar power plant
build plants and reactors to extract useful input materials from the atmosphere and soil.
build factories to produce various polymers, graphene products, etc
build a refinery that can extract metals and other elements/minerals from the soil
build a foundry that can create high quality alloys
build a machine shop that can form the metals and other inputs into precision parts.
build a cement factory and gather aggregate.
build a silicon fab and other computing technology component manufacturing capability.

assemble more robots and machines and batteries and lubricants and iterate on the above at larger scale and improved capability. repair and replace damaged equipment with manufactured components.

build factory to liquify polar ice and a conduit to get it to the colony site.
build huge greenhouses filled with refined soil, oxygen extracted from the water, compressed co2 from the atmosphere, water, and seeds for plants adapted to survive high radiation.
farm to produce food, gather, process, and store.
dig a huge underground living space, reinforced with concrete, atmospheric sealants, and radiation shields.
fill living space with compressed nitrogen extracted from atmosphere and o2 from the greenhouses.
prepare to receive guests

Its easier for me to imagine that human's invent strong AI or the ability to put brains in robot bodies etc etc than it is imaging we figure out the billion different things we have to do to make space habitable.

I think if we did encounter any sort of alien life in space, it would be robots created by those aliens.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

The Management posted:

mars permanent habitation is pointless and a terrible idea. there is almost no value to being on mars. there’s no current path to a self-sustaining colony, which means relying on supplies from earth for the foreseeable future.

mars can be colonized when we can send robots that will essentially bootstrap a self sustaining human habitat. and by bootstrap I mean:

build plants and reactors to extract useful input materials from the atmosphere and soil.
build a refinery that can extract metals and other elements/minerals from the soil
build a machine shop that can form the metals and other inputs into precision parts.
build a silicon fab and other computing technology component manufacturing capability.

assemble more robots and machines and batteries and lubricants and iterate on the above at larger scale and improved capability. repair and replace damaged equipment with manufactured components.

build huge greenhouses filled with refined soil, oxygen extracted from the water, compressed co2 from the atmosphere, water, and seeds for plants adapted to survive high radiation.
dig a huge underground living space, reinforced with concrete, atmospheric sealants, and radiation shields.
fill living space with compressed nitrogen extracted from atmosphere and o2 from the greenhouses.

ill make the website

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

bootstrap it (toggle a tape load routine into memory)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
not to mention the need to figure out a high specific impulse high thrust engine that you can fill up on propellant for without needing to spend three times as much propellant to get it to you. chemical rockets have a shitload of thrust and alright Isp but there's no cryogenic methane station on mars that you can stick into the side of your Starship (tm)

nuclear thermal rockets are a bit better about it because you can shove any liquid into them as propellant and it'll work, but lighter molecules mean more propellant density and thus higher Isp, but their thrust is comparatively low so if you want to get anywhere fast you need more propellant to have a higher delta-V, which means you're gonna need more propellant for the return trip, so you better get that hydrogen cracking plant functional within a week of arrival

elon musk is too stupid to think through even the dozens of extremely basic rocketry problems involved in long-distance manned space exploration, let alone the hundreds of other human factors, which is why NASA's eggs are in the "space station orbiting the moon for resupply and refueling" basket instead of the "future home of the martian congressional republic" basket

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Sagebrush posted:

it bugs me that there aren't more slang words for lady genitals that aren't considered really crude.

like, men can talk about their dick, wang, johnson, willy, tool, schlong, balls, nuts, marbles, stones, junk, etc and all of those are basically inoffensive. little kids can use all those words and giggle about them. even the "ruder" slang like cock and prick are like a 4/10. i don't think there is a slang word for a penis that is genuinely gross or hurtful.

meanwhile "pussy" is at least as rude as "cock," and that's about the mildest you can use without absurdisms like "down there." of course the ruder terms rapidly get incredibly gross and mean.

women simply do not have the cute funny terms that men do to talk about their genitals. they can't have the same sorts of conversations. it's societally institutionalized chauvinism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs3OWJ53rHE

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
Unless that bootstrap process includes booting up the core to produce a decent magnetic field, it is all pointless anyway. It will just be some cold, and nearly airless, desert.

Send those robots to go hollow out an asteroid, and go live in that. Hook a truster of some sort to it and travel the solar system.

An cruiscin lan
Mar 4, 2020

Chromatics posted:

ill make the website

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The Management posted:

Good news, op

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

The Management posted:

launches factorio instead

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Management posted:

even with all of those things solved it still leaves the question of "why"

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

so you can uh look for mars fossils? idk scientific curiosity seems like the only reason to have any permanent mars presence. similar to the antarctic research bases i guess

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

there's also the ever present reason of "it would be cool"

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

champagne posting posted:

Feudal society under God-Emperor Musk.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

gschmidl posted:

Doge-Emperor Musk

ftfy

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

if we don't do it the soviets will do it first you commie bastard

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

it's because mars doesn't have people of color

sure, you could do all that terraforming in chad, or south sudan or arizona (and it'd be infinitely easier, even), but ew, there's native populations there, and people with power that could constrain musk's ambitions.

step over the line in the sahara and a technical full of scary looking black guys rolls up to break your poo poo. on mars you can do whatever you want, because who's going to come over there and enforce space laws and treaties?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

EricBauman posted:

it's because mars doesn't have people of color

sure, you could do all that terraforming in chad, or south sudan or arizona (and it'd be infinitely easier, even), but ew, there's native populations there, and people with power that could constrain musk's ambitions.

step over the line in the sahara and a technical full of scary looking black guys rolls up to break your poo poo. on mars you can do whatever you want, because who's going to come over there and enforce space laws and treaties?

i am absolutely sure that countries like char or south sudan would welcome investment projects to help them deal with catastrophic effects of climate change or develop infrastructure to put people's quality of life to the next level

but these kinds of initiatives must be 100% altruistic and therefore impossible to fund, since there is no way of immediately extracting profits. even worse, rising quality of life would make it harder to extract resources from these countries

anyway, the fsd rollout already shows clearly what the attitude of the "terraformers" would have to the local population that they run their experiments on. which boils down to: you poors should consider yourselves lucky that you can help humanity progress by dying in elon's grand social experiment

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

PokeJoe posted:

there's also the ever present reason of "it would be cool"

tbh this is pretty much the only reason we're going back to the moon, that and because those uppity soviets are at it again so it's time for Apollo, But In 4K

the moon would only have "industrial" value if we could figure out commercial-scale fusion power and extracted 3He from regolith in such a massive scale it would be worth shipping it back to earth, and lmao I'm sure that will be ready before we all croak

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
at least this time when we drop someone on the moon and they have to figure out what to say in front of a live audience of the entire goddamn planet, instead of being a slow-scan TV camera with an effective spatial resolution of "I think that's a person" being radioed back to earth and retransmitted by literally pointing a live TV camera at a monitor, it'll basically just be a radiation-hardened smartphone running OBS

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Kazinsal posted:

at least this time when we drop someone on the moon and they have to figure out what to say in front of a live audience of the entire goddamn planet, instead of being a slow-scan TV camera with an effective spatial resolution of "I think that's a person" being radioed back to earth and retransmitted by literally pointing a live TV camera at a monitor, it'll basically just be a radiation-hardened smartphone running OBS

And they'll plant a bitcoin flag, shout "TO THE MOON", then do the floss.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Kazinsal posted:

well, this is the moon. again

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

that's another small step for a man, another giant reason for you to smash that like and subscribe button

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
what's up youtuuuuuuuuuube it's ya giiiiiiiiiiirl <astronaut's name here> and today we're gonna be testing how hard it is to do the fortnite dance in one sixth gee LET'S GET TO IT

*astronaut falls over, feed gets cut*

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Encrypted posted:

launches factorio instead

i have 800 hours playtime in factorio and still cannot get my head around using logistic networks, trains or any type of automation.

yet my skills are more than Melon has ever displayed or thought about

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

https://twitter.com/bestofdyingtwit/status/1597169327534264320

Caffeine free Diet Coke. For manchildren who don’t like water, I guess.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Nov 28, 2022

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

dont know which is sadder - it being true, or him acting like its true.

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

The_Franz posted:

obviously seo poisoning the query “Elon musk coke addiction”

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

The_Franz posted:

lol even trump doesn't drink decaf

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
it's probably a good thing he doesn't have a partner currently (someone check local horse transfers!), or he'd probably shoot her in the bathroom during the night like oscar pistorius

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
actually, what books are that in the blue case behind the lamp and water bottle?
or is it one book with a red white and blue pattern? the text in the red line seems to say 'pillars of civility' but i can't make out the rest.

could it be this?

https://www.amazon.com/Pillars-Civility-compassion-encouragement-responsibility/dp/1777871107 posted:

During times of stress, confusion, and resistance, this collection of short essays provides the reader with an opportunity for self-reflection. When we live in a state of fear, rational thinking is impossible. When we take some time for ourselves, we can reach a state of calmness, which allows clearer thinking and healing to occur. As we discover which areas of our lives are out of balance, we can begin to regain that balance through the simple self-reflective exercises following each chapter. We need to commit to this process regularly to live a more balanced life in a chaotic world. The common-sense messages contained within each essay reflect my personal experiences and can serve as reminders that we are not alone, that our feelings are both valid and essential, and that there is a path to a life filled with joy and grace.

yeah, he needs some balancing and self-reflection alright

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

of course he picks the revolver that looks the most like a nerf gun

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I am 100% certain that revolver is a prop, that cylinder looks like it's made of prop foam and there are injection molding seams all over it

and he's too loving stupid to figure out how to operate that flintlock behind it

e: upon closer inspection the revolver doesn't even have a trigger. in all aspects of life he's such an utter loving poser

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/Bogswallop/status/1596658879500546049

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

The Management posted:

any experts itt, how close are we to being able to build these types of robots? 10 years? 15?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

fart simpson posted:

any experts itt, how close are we to being able to build these types of robots? 10 years? 15?

not just build them, but make them able to run in a super hostile environment without human intervention or maintenance

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

not just build them, but make them able to run in a super hostile environment without human intervention or maintenance

ok... how close are we?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
you'd sooner get a greenpeace wonk to publicly declare they love nuclear power