Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i don’t know what that means. sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

it means not in our lifetimes...

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
It takes light between 6 minutes and half an hour to do a round trip between earth and Mars, so those robots would need to be able to do all these things almost autonomously. Not to mention the problem of maintenance.

I mean look at how much of a huge deal it is when a mars rover gets one wheel stuck in dirt.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

The Management posted:

mars permanent habitation is pointless and a terrible idea. there is almost no value to being on mars. there’s no current path to a self-sustaining colony, which means relying on supplies from earth for the foreseeable future.

mars can be colonized when we can send robots that will essentially bootstrap a self sustaining human habitat. and by bootstrap I mean:

build a solar power plant
build plants and reactors to extract useful input materials from the atmosphere and soil.
build factories to produce various polymers, graphene products, etc
build a refinery that can extract metals and other elements/minerals from the soil
build a foundry that can create high quality alloys
build a machine shop that can form the metals and other inputs into precision parts.
build a cement factory and gather aggregate.
build a silicon fab and other computing technology component manufacturing capability.

assemble more robots and machines and batteries and lubricants and iterate on the above at larger scale and improved capability. repair and replace damaged equipment with manufactured components.

build factory to liquify polar ice and a conduit to get it to the colony site.
build huge greenhouses filled with refined soil, oxygen extracted from the water, compressed co2 from the atmosphere, water, and seeds for plants adapted to survive high radiation.
farm to produce food, gather, process, and store.
dig a huge underground living space, reinforced with concrete, atmospheric sealants, and radiation shields.
fill living space with compressed nitrogen extracted from atmosphere and o2 from the greenhouses.
prepare to receive guests

when we have robots that are capable of autonomously doing this then we can colonize mars.

well, no time like the present!

*rolls up sleeves*

can uh…. can anyone tell me what #include means?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

refleks posted:

it means not in our lifetimes...

so this is what in musk terms is 'by Q3 of next year'

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Shame Boy posted:

of course he picks the revolver that looks the most like a nerf gun

Kazinsal posted:

I am 100% certain that revolver is a prop, that cylinder looks like it's made of prop foam and there are injection molding seams all over it

and he's too loving stupid to figure out how to operate that flintlock behind it

e: upon closer inspection the revolver doesn't even have a trigger. in all aspects of life he's such an utter loving poser

I thought it looked familiar and someone in comments pointed out it's a prop gun from Deus Ex lmao

I'm the square bullets.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://twitter.com/zoeschiffer/status/1597213388681011200?s=46&t=91whiNSXknYjlv1GLJsrgQ

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Danger - Octopus! posted:

First thing I thought of when I saw his dorky reddit EDC goon bedside table pic

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

he's right, and has long been a master of leading his coding troops into digital battle, google "elon musk horse" for more

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hm. https://twitter.com/stokel/status/1597206322164158464

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

https://nitter.net/TechnicallyRon/status/1597181827340701696

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

well lets start with you mr musk

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is that a loving flintlock pistol

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FAUXTON posted:

Is that a loving flintlock pistol

It's a non-working replica of a flintlock pistol.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's a non-working replica of a flintlock pistol.

has he tried firing it to get it to work or does he just do that to staff

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The_Franz posted:

https://twitter.com/bestofdyingtwit/status/1597169327534264320

Caffeine free Diet Coke. For manchildren who don’t like water, I guess.

As a manchild who doesn't like water and regularly drinks that garbage, I'm actually surprised he's not super-wired on caffeine and sugar all the time.

Must be different stimulants he takes.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I thought it looked familiar and someone in comments pointed out it's a prop gun from Deus Ex lmao

I'm the square bullets.

square cartridges would at least have some kind of real world grounding, in the 70s H&K experimented with a caseless cartridge that was basically a roughly rectangular prism of polymerized nitrocellulose propellant with a bullet inside and a little plastic cap

mind you it didn't work right because 70s tech couldn't stop it from overheating out of battery and blowing up the gun

Chill Monster
Apr 23, 2014
If ppl were to go live on Mars their bones would probably turn to porous rods of poo poo because the gravity is 1/3 of what it is on Earth.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

univbee posted:

As a manchild who doesn't like water and regularly drinks that garbage, I'm actually surprised he's not super-wired on caffeine and sugar all the time.

Must be different stimulants he takes.

Look if you don't use your billions of dollars to get access to the good poo poo what even is the point

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Someone made a more updated version of the meme

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fart simpson posted:

any experts itt, how close are we to being able to build these types of robots? 10 years? 15?

teslabot launching end of the year. able to do all this and more. will solve all human failure.

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM 4 DIET COKES INTO MY MOUTH. ITS CAFFEINE FREE AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START POSTING ON TWITTER BEGGING FOR ATTENTION. I DO EVERY TWEET AND I DO EVERY TWEET HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME 420 JOKES OR EVEN WHEN I DROP A STRAIGHT LIE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY OWN THE WORLD'S TOWN SQUARE. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN THE TIMELINE TIMELINE AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN TWITTER TIMELINE CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE SNORTED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY BUYING A FAKE REVOLVER. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I CRY

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

one of the best project managers i've ever worked for could not code

he understood his job to be: listen to his team, get them what they needed to do their jobs, and deflect heat from higher layers of management, including taking blame himself when schedules slipped

he kicked rear end at all these things. everybody on the team loved him and had his back, because he had ours

lol that elon thinks non-coders can't successfully manage software devs

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Kazinsal posted:

square cartridges would at least have some kind of real world grounding, in the 70s H&K experimented with a caseless cartridge that was basically a roughly rectangular prism of polymerized nitrocellulose propellant with a bullet inside and a little plastic cap

mind you it didn't work right because 70s tech couldn't stop it from overheating out of battery and blowing up the gun

Weird triangular revolver rounds were in fact a thing, with a very silly name : Trounds

The idea was to make a magazine fed revolver. For some reason.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
we should continually taunt Musk to post his own Twitter code for public review

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Kafouille posted:

Weird triangular revolver rounds were in fact a thing, with a very silly name : Trounds

gun nerds have figured out how to 3d print the outer part of a tround so you can even reload your own ammo. i love the dardick, it looks so stupid.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kafouille posted:

probably because they thought the magazine is somehow equal in reliability to a revolver's cylinder, which it ain't, lol

hell this ain't the wackiest poo poo ever thought up for a gun either

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

probably because they thought the magazine is somehow equal in reliability to a revolver's cylinder, which it ain't, lol

hell this ain't the wackiest poo poo ever thought up for a gun either

Where do gun blades fit in on this wackier poo poo hierarchy?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I hope they try to colonize mars and fail miserably so that more efforts are spent on earth but you drat well know they'd just keep throwing bodies at it anyway

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/CommanderRoot/status/1597068780437647360

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

so thats why he thinks he knows latin

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the in-game gun seems to have trounds but his prop seems squarer

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zil posted:

Where do gun blades fit in on this wackier poo poo hierarchy?

less wacky than trounds for sure, but more wacky than the Medusa revolver that could fire basically any size bullet

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Kafouille posted:

wait, where do the spent cartridges go?

e: nm, i see there's an ejector port in the diagram

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Zil posted:

Someone made a more updated version of the meme

lol

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Lmao musk really is pro-bot now, he's cutting the enforcement tools and routing higher usage metrics

How long until he starts angrily ranting about how stupid advertisers are to not want to reach Twitter's 12 billion users?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Chill Monster posted:

If ppl were to go live on Mars their bones would probably turn to porous rods of poo poo because the gravity is 1/3 of what it is on Earth.

Just make them wear weighted clothes like goku to simulate 1g duh so easy

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Lmao musk really is pro-bot now, he's cutting the enforcement tools and routing higher usage metrics

How long until he starts angrily ranting about how stupid advertisers are to not want to reach Twitter's 12 billion users?

he's going to personally call every ceo to tell them how big of a dumbass they are, really give them that personal touch

quote:

Musk, meanwhile, has sought to personally call chief executives of some brands that have curbed advertising in order to berate them, according to one senior industry figure, leading others to instead reduce their spend to the bare minimum required so as to avoid further confrontation with the billionaire entrepreneur.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm the norton shopping guarantee