Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Wouldn't be surprised to see a Z. 240 or 260 would be very nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
My dream would be an R32 but I would absolutely settle for a Z car

Also maybe like a classic WRX or Lancer Evo, with optional rally features

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Imo there's three possible options:
A Ford gt90
A wood paneled wagon
Or a combination of the two and a did focus, wagon

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Only if the wagon is pea green.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

xzzy posted:

Only if the wagon is pea green.

We also would have accepted "rusted out"

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

:hmmyes:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Waltzing Along posted:

Wouldn't be surprised to see a Z. 240 or 260 would be very nice.

Would own but have they ever done a Japanese car?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They did at least a couple in Speed Champions, most recently 76901 Toyota GR Supra.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Oh you mean THE BMW Z4??

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
So it is settled. They should do either a Mitsubishi 3000, a Datsun 240z or a Toyota Supra. Which supra? One from the 80s, I guess. I dunno.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I've been thinking about what makes Lego special compared to other types of crafts or making, like woodworking or welding or pottery or whatever.

-Zero penalty for failure. When you are welding and you mess up and attach the wrong bars together? Bust out the angle grinder to cut the pieces apart. With Lego you just pop the pieces off and try again.
-Zero tools or equipment required. Other than the brick separator I guess.
-Zero danger. You might step on one, but that's as bad as it gets. You really can't injure yourself like you can with a table saw or lathe. No safety glasses or work gloves required. No toxic fumes either.
-Zero consumables. You can't run out of glue, acetylene gas, staples, or any other supply.
-Zero waste. Any pieces left over can be reused. There's no such thing as scrap or waste Lego.
-No special space necessary. You can build on a coffee table or on any surface in any room in your house. You don't need a special wood shop or a clean room.
-Negligible mess. You're not going to ruin your carpet or stain your hard wood floors. Scoop up the pieces and throw them into a container and move on. You do have to dust them though.

I know I am preaching to the choir here, but I still think Lego has a lot to offer.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

deoju posted:

I've been thinking about what makes Lego special compared to other types of crafts or making, like woodworking or welding or pottery or whatever.

-Zero penalty for failure. When you are welding and you mess up and attach the wrong bars together? Bust out the angle grinder to cut the pieces apart. With Lego you just pop the pieces off and try again.
-Zero tools or equipment required. Other than the brick separator I guess.
-Zero danger. You might step on one, but that's as bad as it gets. You really can't injure yourself like you can with a table saw or lathe. No safety glasses or work gloves required. No toxic fumes either.
-Zero consumables. You can't run out of glue, acetylene gas, staples, or any other supply.
-Zero waste. Any pieces left over can be reused. There's no such thing as scrap or waste Lego.
-No special space necessary. You can build on a coffee table or on any surface in any room in your house. You don't need a special wood shop or a clean room.
-Negligible mess. You're not going to ruin your carpet or stain your hard wood floors. Scoop up the pieces and throw them into a container and move on. You do have to dust them though.

I know I am preaching to the choir here, but I still think Lego has a lot to offer.

Ok now remember the stickers

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Yes: https://www.bricklink.com/v3/designer-program/instructions.page

There's a lot of curved slopes but it doesn't look like there's many unusual parts otherwise.

Having a quick scan through the instructions, the curved hull looks like a nightmare to build and keep in place - a lot of places with weak connections, and how the dark red bottom layer at the front comes together is a doozy. I am not surprised at all that so many people are having issues building it - it does not look fun.

This seems like a nightmare. I bought the automata of the planes flying, but never got around to building it. I assume it probably isn't too bad, since it seems pretty simple. I wonder if these larger, more fragile builds will kill off the designer program thing. Sure, it's not really officially lego, but not everyone is going to realize that. Someone gets gifted one, it sucks, and that sours their view of Lego in the future.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

smackfu posted:

They did at least a couple in Speed Champions, most recently 76901 Toyota GR Supra.

Yeah I was thinking larger format, nothing recent comes to mind.

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Why are the people entering submissions so bad at employing good structural techniques in their builds? The internal review needs to be more rigorous in weeding these out, regardless of how many votes a set receives.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
That's also a lot of the price tag with official sets, you're buying the extensive testing.

Like the poster earlier who got a beautiful b-wing moc, I'll bet the experience wasn't exactly easy or fun.

Similarity, i built the brick vault x-wing a while back and while the finished result is stunning, it was a nightmare to assemble.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Nov 28, 2022

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

EEKA GEEK posted:

Why are the people entering submissions so bad at employing good structural techniques in their builds? The internal review needs to be more rigorous in weeding these out, regardless of how many votes a set receives.

Because these are literally just MOCs that someone has created instructions for. Unlike actual ideas winners where a Lego designer takes the ideas set and modifies it to actually be good, these are just the sets as they were submitted. I doubt there was much of any review to the bricklink designer sets.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

deoju posted:

Love lego but I don't think you can actually compare it to those type of skill-based trades requiring years of practice.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Hmm, I think Lego depends a lot on skill and creativity as soon as people go into creating stuff of their own. While I lack these skills completely due to never spending time to pick them up properly and basic lack of creativity, what I like about Lego is that it's basically the definition of "easy to pick up, hard to master".

Like, you don't need any tools, big working space etc., and you don't waste any building materials by loving up. You take bricks and arrange/build them to get something you imagined. The true skill in it imo comes from memorizing the immens catalogue of parts, the clever way of building techniques that let you combine them in ways not immidiately obvious (or completely unintended). This paired with the creative part of beeing able to abstract the thing you want to build into these bricks and techniques and creating something that is pleasant to look at is something I find fascinating and very much a skill.

Plus the actual process of building (mostly) is a lot of fun, similar to other crafts, where the journey - even if the result doesn't turn out like you wanted it to - can be the goal.

It offers an iterative approach of learning without any loss in parts, ressources or money, as you can just dissassemble and start over.

Now if only there would be cool and good building boxes offered by Lego that could get you started easier, like "here is a box of bricks in grey tones ideal for building spaceships", "here's the same box in classic space colors", "here's a castle box" etc. You know, lower cost entry points with lots of basic bricks, as they used to offer. I'm aware that not offering this any longer is very much a business decision by Lego to get you to buy sets just for a couple of parts.

BrickLink jumps into this gap, but it's expensive and a hassle. I'd actually love if there would be a service where you can upload an inventory and get the parts from one source, maybe new, without the hassle that is today.

There are many services for this for example for Mould King parts and other third party manufacturers of high quality pieces, that don't even add a lot (sometimes nothing at all) for the picking process. They sometimes say "you want this part 47 times, they come in bags of 50, so take 50", but it owns. Has been hosed a bit by delivery chains from China during recent years, of course, but I disgress.

I see Lego very much as a skill-based craft, with nearly endless ways of expressing yourself by creating something.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

ChesterJT posted:

Love lego but I don't think you can actually compare it to those type of skill-based trades requiring years of practice.
Oh yeah, that's fair. I wasn't thinking of professionals, just hobby crafting.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Cojawfee posted:

Because these are literally just MOCs that someone has created instructions for. Unlike actual ideas winners where a Lego designer takes the ideas set and modifies it to actually be good, these are just the sets as they were submitted. I doubt there was much of any review to the bricklink designer sets.

There was not much at all. The winners had to do a pass of the model to make sure that it was actually possible to produce however many in the production run (ie no non-existent or super expensive rare parts) but there was no third-party review to make sure they were reasonable models to build.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Lego masters tv show is a great way to see all the creativity Lego allows. I really like the Aussie version and the USA one a bit less. One of the best parts is people running out of time and realizing just how fragile or complex stuff can be that isn't obvious with a finished product.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

mastershakeman posted:

Lego masters tv show is a great way to see all the creativity Lego allows. I really like the Aussie version and the USA one a bit less.

It's incredible how unfunny Will Arnett is as the host of the US version, the contestants laugh at his "jokes" like they're being held at gunpoint.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It's incredible how unfunny Will Arnett is as the host of the US version, the contestants laugh at his "jokes" like they're being held at gunpoint.

I barely made it through one episode. Guess I'll give the Aussie one a chance.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Lego Masters AU is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the USA one. You'll enjoy it.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
LEGO Masters AU is so much better than US it's not even comparable. Definitely go watch that.

Also, clips are all hosed up. These pics all come from BrickNerd's build of the new eiffel tower:

I've been noticing it lately, too. I used one on the rear quarter of this car I built - this is a 2022 piece, because the vertical clip plate only started existing in dark orange in 2022 (that cheese slope is looking rough, too):

LEGO is sort of vaguely aware of this issue in abstract, but I don't think they know how widespread it is. If you wanna help get it fixed, here is the solution:

1) Report to LEGO Customer Service that you received a set with deformed / ugly clip pieces. Email pics. Request replacements.

2) Upon receiving replacements, let LEGO know that these also have the same issue. Email pics again.

This will get complaints flowing quickly to the correct department when they see that replacing the parts with other new ones does not resolve the issue.

Also, same applies to newer tile pieces with really obvious injection points visible on the sides/ends.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Sprue who?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Someone on the factory floor knows about it because I'm kinda sure those scuffs around the injection holes come from someone trying to file down the mold to fix it.

But I'm no injection mold expert so it could easily be something else.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
That is most definitely scuff from a sanding wheel.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
:rip: to the guy tasked with sanding down 10 billion clips

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
That looks crappy I'd be super disappointed to find those in my new stupidly expensive set.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

:rip: to the guy tasked with sanding down 10 billion clips

All I can think of now is Emmet cheerfully going down an endless line of clips with a rotary sander in hand singing about how everything is awesome.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Everything is sanded.
Everything is flat when it comes off the line

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
The lego d&d ideas sets are pretty bad all around.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Scipiotik posted:

Yeah they were really disappointing.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
So lame since there is so much source material. That mimic was p cool though.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Carbohydrates posted:

Hey, I'm gonna try to write an article about the 2nd Bricklink Design Program (the current one) in the nearish future. I'd appreciate if anyone who participated in it feels like leaving a paragraph or two about their experiences: the ordering process, the wait, the instructions, the build process, the finished models, anything. Looking for general and specific experiences both!

I have both the pursuit of flight and the fishing boat. I haven't attempted to build the fishing boat yet.
Both sets ended up shipping from Lego but took forever and I was constantly getting emails related to them being out of stock or some poo poo.

The packaging leaves a LOT to be desired but does look nice and unique as it's different from official Lego sets.

JK Brickworks did a good job with the pursuit build and the instructions were pretty easy to follow and the final sets look nice. The price per part was not very nice.

I had FOMO with the boat because it was something that resonated with me on a personal level so it's sad to hear that the build is so problematic. I only really ordered it because they reopened orders for a second wave. (maybe ill kragle it or some poo poo)

Edit: I guess both of those sets were in the 1st wave lol.
fwiw I ordered the pursuit of flight on 7/1/2021 and it shipped on 2/23/2022.
I ordered the fishing boat on 8/3/2021 and it shipped on 7/28/2022.

w00tazn fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 29, 2022

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Scipiotik posted:

I like the Monster Manual, it could use a little cleanup but the monsters HAVE TO BE the focus of any Lego D&D line and I like the style of those if not every build.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Its current iteration kind of blows but I could see how it could become good with Lego designers doing their thing to it. Less sure about the others really.

I was really expecting some kind of fun modular dungeon thing to make it through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
I'm wondering if Lego is working out a deal to make toys for the D&D movie too and this IDEAs item will just be a super premium option similar to the 1-up block