Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

not the temperature, the frost line. the depth in the ground that freezes solid during winter.

if you don't put your foundation below the frost line, the movement of the ground due to freeze/thaw cycles will crack the foundation.

you're confusing cause and effect, basements don't exist because people want basements (and florida's ground prevents them from digging them), basements exists because if you have to spend the money to dig a hole big enough for a basement anyway to get below the frost line, you might as well turn that hole into another room.

the entire west coast doesn't have basements either, because the frost line is like 5 inches in Washington and gets shallower as you go south.

well i learned something today :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah if that came across as dismissive i didn't mean it to be. that is pretty interesting and i appreciate the explainer

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I was always jealous of american style basements and also attics

we just have a floor and a ceiling and some dingy ceiling space u can shove some boxes in

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

we just have a floor and a ceiling and some dingy ceiling space u can shove some boxes in

basements own because they're so much cooler in the summer. thank u geologically stable area

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

why hello friend

This guy reads Parenti, he's cool folks

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
those crazy big attics you see in movies? idk how common those actually are tbh but North America is big so I ain’t gonna say for sure. personally I have only seen them in older houses. where I live most people turn them into proper rooms if they’re tall enough to stand up in

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

echinopsis posted:

In a lot of NS and Canada you can't have them because of radon or "lol blasting into the Canadian shield"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Cold on a Cob posted:

those crazy big attics you see in movies? idk how common those actually are tbh but North America is big so I ain’t gonna say for sure. personally I have only seen them in older houses. where I live most people turn them into proper rooms if they’re tall enough to stand up in

in nj the house i grew up in had both, a lot of my neighbors turned the basements into home theaters/lounges but not many used the attics

my parents left ours unfinished though. one day i got bored and went rollerblading down there and smacked into a pole

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
havent seen a lotta basements here in texas

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

attics are hot and disgusting, like my monitor thats currently turned off and smeared with grease

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i only learned about radon relatively recently and i was very incredulous but apparently it's a real thing

basements giving u cancer

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
when I was a kid my dad lived in a house with a couple room mates and my brother and i's bedroom was a big attic that covered the entire top of the house, and there were both our beds and 3 couches and a tv and our sega up there and a couple cousins lived just a few blocks away and we had walkie-talkies we could talk to them with if we put our heads out the window, but the stairs up to the attic were in the 2nd floor bathroom and if someone forgot to unlock it sometimes we'd be trapped and would have to either just knock and yell until someone came by or use the walkie-talkies and hope to get our cousins to call the house and ask someone to let us out. an attic of contrasts.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

polyester concept posted:

i only learned about radon relatively recently and i was very incredulous but apparently it's a real thing

basements giving u cancer

oh its very real, you even have to put sensors around for it in nj

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
radon's nutty. it basically amplifies lung cancer risk. you basically have a double baseline chance of getting lung cancer sometime in your life just by living in saskatchewan, manitoba or new brunswick than almost anywhere else in canada because the rate of high radon values is that much higher.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
my grandpa's house has a massive attic with two attached bedrooms. i guess that's maybe more just a poorly-finished third floor

it has a giant-rear end like 6ft diameter cooling fan built into one of the walls though. that thing is lit

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
https://twitter.com/redeviction/status/1597364193661157378

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

in alabama most people didn't have basements, but afaik that's more because of bedrock being closer to the surface and the water table being high. basements flood.

it's kinda lovely tho, because Alabama also gets a lot of tornadoes! the lack of basements is part of why the 2011 outbreak was so bad -- you can't do much in the face of f4/f5 tornadoes without a basement.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

radon's nutty. it basically amplifies lung cancer risk. you basically have a double baseline chance of getting lung cancer sometime in your life just by living in saskatchewan, manitoba or new brunswick than almost anywhere else in canada because the rate of high radon values is that much higher.
Got to love that sweet radon status multiplier

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

echinopsis posted:

After I moved into my house I discovered two finished attic spaces that nobody had previously mentioned. Look at all this storage above the garage. Kind of upset that I got rid of my bowling ball because I didn’t think I’d have enough storage.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

it's always tankie time, tovarisch

:hai:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

remember when basement chat was a bannable offense in cspam

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Shame Boy posted:

i was sure he came in to dig the hole deeper and yep

https://twitter.com/imyourmoderator/status/1597351029355720704

for someone who's studied fascism she really should have seen this one coming

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

tk posted:

After I moved into my house I discovered two finished attic spaces that nobody had previously mentioned. Look at all this storage above the garage. Kind of upset that I got rid of my bowling ball because I didn’t think I’d have enough storage.

drat, flooring and everything

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Isentropy posted:

This guy reads Parenti, he's cool folks

it’s getting to be time to read Brownshirts and Reds again

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yospos is the cool place to hang out. "take it easy," is the yospos motto, for example, "you can talk about basements"

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Cat Face Joe posted:

remember when basement chat was a bannable offense in cspam
b/c it’s adjacent to doxxing

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Beeftweeter posted:

i can't imagine why the gently caress he thinks this will work

Because it has always worked for him before. Scream at people and get what you want. Now he thinks that will also at work with people he is not in charge of. He is literally a spoiler brat boerat

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7171227624172293419

it wouldn’t let me download it but lmao

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

pseudorandom name posted:

not the temperature, the frost line. the depth in the ground that freezes solid during winter.

if you don't put your foundation below the frost line, the movement of the ground due to freeze/thaw cycles will crack the foundation.

you're confusing cause and effect, basements don't exist because people want basements (and florida's ground prevents them from digging them), basements exists because if you have to spend the money to dig a hole big enough for a basement anyway to get below the frost line, you might as well turn that hole into another room.

the entire west coast doesn't have basements either, because the frost line is like 5 inches in Washington and gets shallower as you go south.

lots of places have basements that don't freeze? my dad's house has a cellar and it was built >500 years ago, I'm pretty sure they did it because they wanted another room.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

b/c it’s adjacent to doxxing

just fyi we here in yospos actually leave our basements and in some cases own the structure(s) above them

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/Shut_downAmazon/status/1597417017912721408

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

just fyi we here in yospos actually leave our basements and in some cases own the structure(s) above them
who are you trying to flex on here

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

DELETE CASCADE posted:

well i learned something today :eng101:

Same. I wondered why Australia had none when I moved here.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Shumagorath posted:

who are you trying to flex on here

tori

oh wait he said basement not car hole

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Raged posted:

Same. I wondered why Australia had none when I moved here.

one of my neighbours had one in Wollongong and it was quite nice in the summer, but also full of huntsmen

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Cold on a Cob posted:

tori

oh wait he said basement not car hole
in my culture we rent our car holes to neighbouring masochists

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Shumagorath posted:

in my culture we rent our car holes to neighbouring masochists

round here thats called prostitution