Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Valentin posted:

just realized i totally forgot we got a final quirk reveal for deku in the last round of "the heroes are winning! oh wait, the villains have one last card to play!". do not even remember what it is. punch harderererer?

momentum control. effectively punch hardererer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Valentin posted:

just realized i totally forgot we got a final quirk reveal for deku in the last round of "the heroes are winning! oh wait, the villains have one last card to play!". do not even remember what it is. punch harderererer?

He can manipulate how fast something is to be slower or faster.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kild posted:

He can manipulate how fast something is to be slower or faster.

It's still super weird that this was the big secret "we can't talk about this and you're not allowed to use this until the absolute last moment of necessity" quirk.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Kanos posted:

It's still super weird that this was the big secret "we can't talk about this and you're not allowed to use this until the absolute last moment of necessity" quirk.

Hori probably didn't want to make his next few quirks into powerup shortcuts until relatively recently.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
It's funny that the out of control first quirk he picked up was just a whip that let him swing around like Spider-Man and now he can just straight up fly

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Kanos posted:

One for All 2 gave deku a time limit when he started using it, so it’s probably got a kaioken style
drawback where it damages his body but not really.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Kanos posted:

When the mangaka wrote in that Deku would wield multiple quirks, I think he realized how overpowered that would be for the story, so he limited the scope of his new quirks. Even All for One had mostly relatively straightforward quirks that were escape buttons or increase power.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

TheHan posted:

One for All 2 gave deku a time limit when he started using it, so it’s probably got a kaioken style
drawback where it damages his body but not really.

One For All already had a kaioken style drawback, it's not like "if you abuse/overuse this power it will turn your muscles into puree and your bones into dust" is something new and special that necessitated special mention when it comes to Deku.

I'm assuming that it was originally something way more consequential but it got rewritten for simplicity's sake.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

i don't really read mha discussions so this might be extremely trite but learning that all for one is the quirk redistribution power and one for all was the slowly accumulating more quirks power was pretty funny

he got em backward!!!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

studio mujahideen posted:

i don't really read mha discussions so this might be extremely trite but learning that all for one is the quirk redistribution power and one for all was the slowly accumulating more quirks power was pretty funny

he got em backward!!!

All For One is all about stealing quirks and incorporating them into himself to become stronger; he generally only gives out quirks he doesn't need as part of a scheme. One for All accumulates power to every single quirk that has been subsumed into the whole package; it doesn't steal the power of the other quirks that got added to it, it amplifies all of them.

There's also the whole metaphorical "AfO is a selfish monster who wants to rule the world as a demon king while all of the OfA users are suicidally selfless martyrs willing to die to save everyone" angle.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

studio mujahideen posted:

he got em backward!!!

TBH the inverse of these is also pretty thematic. AFO perverted his power by using it to accumulate the best quirks for himself, OFA used his "gather" power to just pass it on to worthy successors.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

All quirks for one guy

one Quirk for All people.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The mechanic by which they work also matters, All for One can take quirks from other people by force. One for All can only willingly give their quirk to other people, and in doing so adds their quirk to One for All.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

quirk communism is possible with the power all for one. old people relinquish their quirks to be given out freely to the quirkless. comrade shigaraki can do this for us

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Except quirks you're not born with can be hazardous to your body. And too many quirk powers in your body erode your lifespan.

This analogy is breaking down in a way I'm very much not a fan of.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Quirks you're born with can also be hazardous. Dabi is basically turning into fire itself with a quirk he was born with. Like, he was selectively bred for it, so your point isn't completely invalid. But I imagine non-hero level quirks would probably be fine to transfer between people. Aoyama got a stomachache from using his transferred quirk, and Uraraka got one from using her inborn quirk.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Kanos posted:

One For All already had a kaioken style drawback, it's not like "if you abuse/overuse this power it will turn your muscles into puree and your bones into dust" is something new and special that necessitated special mention when it comes to Deku.

I'm assuming that it was originally something way more consequential but it got rewritten for simplicity's sake.

This makes perfect sense but I don't have a high enough opinion of hori's writing to think he wouldn't use the same drawback twice on the same character.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
I thought we already got told the "drawback": That there's a time limit to using it before he has to put it on cooldown.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

in chapter...349? so back in march, before dabi was even defeated (the first time), OFA2 appears to deku while he's flying through the void and says (this is from the official translation) "[my quirk] was meant to be your last resort. as one for all grew in strength, so too did all of our meta abilities within it. as a result...mine evolved into a particularly unique power. it's not something that can be wielded the usual way, as i once did." there's even an image of an extremely locked door to drive the point home.

and it's neither particularly unique, nor even something that's not wielded "the usual way," since using his powers on a time limit set by his body shredding to pieces is sort of deku's classic thing. you can sort of argue that that covers "it has a five minute time limit" but it definitely feels like something changed between then and its reveal.

e: i would guess we're still in for a possible further reveal relating to how it apparently affects things "down to the cellular level" now, whatever that means. i would guess time travel is still on the table honestly.

double e: i think that chapter was also the last time the toga fight appeared on-page, lmao.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 30, 2022

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

This is anime, so saying he only has "5 minutes" means he could run out of time next chapter or 20 chapters from now.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
So when his time limit runs out, either Deku's gonna start going out of control and causing things to blow up, or he'll just be incapacitated again and we'll need to wait even more chapters watching Shigaraki defeat everyone all over again.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I have to wonder how Horikoshi ever contemplated this manga would end in a year or so when these chapters move at a glacial pace.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

What's so baffling about how this going is it feels like it's blasting through every plot point at breakneck speed while also being paced so slow.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
it's because the actual action and fight scenes are terribly dull, what with Shigaraki just tanking everything and everyone not named Deku having 0 impact at all.

but when it comes to huge plot world-setting things it's like "oh btw there were some pogroms back in the day, anyways here's Dabi back for Round 6"

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
I don't understand why it's easier for Hori to keep escalating than it is to resolve plot threads. Did this guy never feel any kind of exhaustion or disinterest during the Ninja War? Did he see Madara become unbeatably broken and think "I need to make my villains just like that!"?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Delphisage posted:

I don't understand why it's easier for Hori to keep escalating than it is to resolve plot threads. Did this guy never feel any kind of exhaustion or disinterest during the Ninja War? Did he see Madara become unbeatably broken and think "I need to make my villains just like that!"?

Again, he wishes he was writing at that level

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

That's the infuriating part, this series had promise up to a point when it instead ended up being barely mediocre on a good day.

Hell, if Hori didn't decide that he wanted to end the series in half the time it needed it could've been at least above average. Now it's decidedly not.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 1, 2022

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rhonne posted:

This is anime, so saying he only has "5 minutes" means he could run out of time next chapter or 20 chapters from now.

he's gonna use his quirk on the time limit. plus ultra

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Again, he wishes he was writing at that level

I don't think "Madara says LIMBO and causes all nine Tailed Beasts to be instantly defeated" can be put on a level.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Madara vs the world has two good parts (him fighting the shinobi army and Night Guy) but they’re very very good parts. If My Hero wasn’t already chock full of Night Guy moments now woulda been a great time to bust one out.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

TheHan posted:

Madara vs the world has two good parts (him fighting the shinobi army and Night Guy) but they’re very very good parts. If My Hero wasn’t already chock full of Night Guy moments now woulda been a great time to bust one out.

The one thing that would be comparable would be All Might killing himself to do one more United States of Smash on AFO. But like you say, that'd be a retread of a moment the manga's already done.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The ninja war sucked but it had some memorable bits while this entire sequence is just sludge in my brain I can’t remember the day after it comes out

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

RevolverDivider posted:

The ninja war sucked but it had some memorable bits while this entire sequence is just sludge in my brain I can’t remember the day after it comes out

I can't remember why Shigaraki looked super fat in that one panel in this chapter.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I don't remember anything from the Ninja War outside of Night Guy (really cool) and bits and pieces of the stuff that's dumber than anything we've seen so far

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

RevolverDivider posted:

It's because nothing has been allowed to stick so there's no sense of progression in the fights. Horikoshi seems to be completely averse to letting a fight actually progress and eventually be over and it's super loving weird, especially in the context of a big war arc with a ton of fights happening at once.

The first actually conclusive battle in this entire arc so far was Shoto beating Dabi in a big climactic way, and for some baffling and completely incomprehensible reason instead of just letting that stand we have Dabi back and active like nothing happened at all, which serves the dual purpose of being boring and also making Shoto look like a stupid chump.

I guess technically Spinner's dead or defeated or whatever?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
At this rate, Spinner will go Plus Ultra and become a bigger lizard man in five chapters.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Spinner will return with a completely different set of quirk powers given to him then seen previously. He will have coherent thought patterns and in no monologue or dialogue internal or external acknowledge the hospital raid or the riot he was leading.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Fabricated posted:

I don't remember anything from the Ninja War outside of Night Guy (really cool) and bits and pieces of the stuff that's dumber than anything we've seen so far

I didn't even read the Ninja War, I just skimmed highlights. Advantage of not becoming a fan of Naruto until I felt I had to last year for the sake of MHA having three Obitos.

Kanos posted:

The first actually conclusive battle in this entire arc so far was Shoto beating Dabi in a big climactic way, and for some baffling and completely incomprehensible reason instead of just letting that stand we have Dabi back and active like nothing happened at all, which serves the dual purpose of being boring and also making Shoto look like a stupid chump.

I can't believe I was even fooled for a moment to think Dabi was over there. I've been complaining since 2020 about Endeavor and Hawks just stealing Shoto's whole arc from under him, so there's no way in hell that Hori would let his brother be the one to defeat him instead of his dad and ex-boyfriend/eventual stepdad.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 1, 2022

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I have to wonder how Horikoshi ever contemplated this manga would end in a year or so when these chapters move at a glacial pace.

Deku activates his final, completed form of OFA, but AFO manipulates the future to make it so that Deku never completed OFA.

Luckily, it turns out that Deku was never actually quirkless, and that he had a hidden quirk that only activates when his quark is deactivated, by by temporarily taking away OFA, OFA has actually awoken Deku's quirk.

Deku beats AFO in a single panel after awakening his true quirk.

Manga over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Deku activates his final, completed form of OFA, but AFO manipulates the future to make it so that Deku never completed OFA.

Luckily, it turns out that Deku was never actually quirkless, and that he had a hidden quirk that only activates when his quark is deactivated, by by temporarily taking away OFA, OFA has actually awoken Deku's quirk.

Deku beats AFO in a single panel after awakening his true quirk.

Manga over.

But then AFO reveals his new power to prevent the manga from ending or himself from being defeated that derives from his refusal to read to the end of the story, and the fight keeps going.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 1, 2022