Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Cat Face Joe posted:

i just soak a chicken in buttermilk for thanksgiving and everyone always loves it

It sounds like an exciting show, but what do you eat?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

the beef tube is fine you cowards

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shame Boy posted:

mandatory songwriting??

That's what happens when you go to Bard school

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

if you got a university with an ag program near you, you can probably go buy beef tubes for real cheap (along with other cuts)

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

if you took typing classes and do the "home row" positioning poo poo, you're supposed to use both hands. if you do that "beeftweeter" is possible to type entirely with the left

i read this quickly as "home raw" and assumed it was a reference to some sort of masturbation + typing technique, especially with "beef wetter" thrown in the mix :q:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fart simpson posted:

i like to “dry brine” it (put a bunch of salt on it a day in advance) because i don’t have space for a big turkey sized tub of liquid. works great

salt ftw

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

i read this quickly as "home raw" and assumed it was a reference to some sort of masturbation + typing technique, especially with "beef wetter" thrown in the mix :q:

sorry about your dyslexia

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Shame Boy posted:

mandatory songwriting??

yeah we all had to pick up an instrument. eventually i did violin, piano and trumpet

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

FCKGW posted:

Twitter also tried and failed! How have we all forgotten the Peek?!?!?!

company that names everything after bird stuff didn't call this the Peck, nor the Peep, :one:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I took a networking class in high school that was sponsored by Cisco, who had a small office downtown for some reason

I also learned SQL in a class sponsored by Oracle (lmao)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I took a networking class in high school that was sponsored by Cisco, who had a small office downtown for some reason

Beats the hell out of an Amazon sponsored class on how to move boxes

https://www.vice.com/en/article/bvndja/amazon-paid-for-a-high-school-course-heres-what-they-teach

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Shame Boy posted:

lmao the class was in fact Inventor-centric (or well, one semester we did AutoCAD the next we did Inventor) and i did use that for a long-rear end time

I'm old enough that we had to have one semester of drafting by hand before taking the computer drafting class. My rear end in a top hat teacher would never give anyone 100% and would just write "Center lines -2%" regardless of actual quality. Next semester we messed around in AutoCAD LT and Rhino 3D. I'd finish my work in about 15 minutes and spend the rest of the time goofing off.

Now I use AutoCAD LT daily for work and also occasionally run a CNC router with g-code generated from Fusion 360. Never messed with Inventor, but did use Rhino more in college and also Creo (formerly Pro Engineer). Creo seemed really drat good if you were willing to drop the big bucks on all the extra modules, but really way to powerful for anything I'm doing now.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

if you got a university with an ag program near you, you can probably go buy beef tubes for real cheap (along with other cuts)

at texas tech we had the 'meat lab' which had good meat for great prices courtesy of the 'meat judging team'

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
rick perry got a D in Meats class in college

then he took a Secretary of Energy position from trump, thinking that he could like, rub shoulders with his oilman buddies

he didnt know he was going to to have to manage and be responsible for a bunch of nuclear energy lmao

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jonny 290 posted:

rick perry got a D in Meats class in college

This is worse than it sounds, because he majored in Meats, and then was the Commissioner of Meats for the whole state of Texas

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

generously sponsored by autodesk (to ensure future customers I assume)

my high school didn't have a lot of kids autodesk would have considered future customers

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Dijkstracula posted:

company that names everything after bird stuff didn't call this the Peck, nor the Peep, :one:

And they could get Myspace Tom to advertise it!

Everyone loves Peeping Tom.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Luigi Thirty posted:

I took a networking class in high school that was sponsored by Cisco,

same, i was the only one that actually understood it though and got a CCNA out of it

we usually just played ut99 in that class. it was networking

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Beeftweeter posted:

we were forced to in like middle school. i was hitting 120 wpm even back then

The software in my typing class (called keyboarding back then lol) was ancient and would only parse the text at spaces. so I figured out that if you just type an unending stream of characters with no spaces it would output a score with only 1 error. I’d keep the score sheet and discard the typed output sheet to hide my cheating and then just play frogger, which was installed on these old rear end systems.

The key is to make your wpm realistic because you could get like 600 wpm just mashing keys. I sold my knowledge to seniors in the class

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol the comment I put on this post a few months back about TESLAs not having any rangefinding sensors has picked up some steam and so many folks did NOT know that fact, lotta What the fuuuck in the reblogs

https://at.tumblr.com/nmpositive/i-saw-a-news-story-about-how-teslas-were-slowing/44tu6e1jqu2z

Glad to have done a bit towards the eventual downfall of Tesla, however small.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Manzoon posted:

I'm old enough that we had to have one semester of drafting by hand before taking the computer drafting class. My rear end in a top hat teacher would never give anyone 100% and would just write "Center lines -2%" regardless of actual quality. Next semester we messed around in AutoCAD LT and Rhino 3D. I'd finish my work in about 15 minutes and spend the rest of the time goofing off.

Now I use AutoCAD LT daily for work and also occasionally run a CNC router with g-code generated from Fusion 360. Never messed with Inventor, but did use Rhino more in college and also Creo (formerly Pro Engineer). Creo seemed really drat good if you were willing to drop the big bucks on all the extra modules, but really way to powerful for anything I'm doing now.

i did the same, when we finally got to CAD drafting it was 3d studio vis and autocad. i had used 3ds max before and i knew the commands in autocad so it took like 10 minutes to do the actual assignments and i spent the rest of the time loving around building my own stuff.

other than supporting a drafting firm, i haven't touched either since.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

fritz posted:

my high school didn't have a lot of kids autodesk would have considered future customers

in theory neither did mine, but we did have a teacher that was good at requesting funding, so we got a media and cad lab for an otherwise poor inner-city school

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

i love the twitter handheld because wikipedia did the same dumb rear end thing

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
do kids still take typing lessons at around age 11 now?
or do we as a society just assume that because theyre ~~~=digital natives=~~ that poo poo comes naturally to them?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah we all had to pick up an instrument. eventually i did violin, piano and trumpet

wow i don’t think i could pick up a whole piano

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they take ipad class and learn how to swipe the book, father

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

EricBauman posted:

do kids still take typing lessons at around age 11 now?
or do we as a society just assume that because theyre ~~~=digital natives=~~ that poo poo comes naturally to them?

i'm pretty sure the only typing "digital natives" are doing for most of their lives is on a phone touchscreen keyboard

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

fritz posted:

at texas tech we had the 'meat lab' which had good meat for great prices courtesy of the 'meat judging team'
just checked and ut austin doesn't have anything like this, argh :negative:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol the comment I put on this post a few months back about TESLAs not having any rangefinding sensors has picked up some steam and so many folks did NOT know that fact, lotta What the fuuuck in the reblogs

https://at.tumblr.com/nmpositive/i-saw-a-news-story-about-how-teslas-were-slowing/44tu6e1jqu2z

Glad to have done a bit towards the eventual downfall of Tesla, however small.

an incredible number of even musk-fans think that the cars have stereoscopic camera systems because there are multiple forward facing cameras.

they get so pissy about it too when I point out they are mistaken lol. like yeah sure I've only been immersed in technical documentation for optical imaging and vision systems 40hrs a week for 16 years or so, I must not know anything about it.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

raminasi posted:

wow i don’t think i could pick up a whole piano

lol at school it was those casio keyboards anyway. we had a baby grand at home

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Shame Boy posted:

the gently caress kinda school has a songwriting class

school of rock obviously

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Shifty Pony posted:

an incredible number of even musk-fans think that the cars have stereoscopic camera systems because there are multiple forward facing cameras.

they get so pissy about it too when I point out they are mistaken lol. like yeah sure I've only been immersed in technical documentation for optical imaging and vision systems 40hrs a week for 16 years or so, I must not know anything about it.

they don't do color even lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

we had a lady from cisco come to career day and she was real nice and gave me hot tipz on how to leverage my "already a loving dork who knows all about networking" ability

thanks lady

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

infernal machines posted:

i'm pretty sure the only typing "digital natives" are doing for most of their lives is on a phone touchscreen keyboard

sagebrush has talked about students who don't know how to open a zip file and i've heard similar stories from others who work with kids. they may be 'digital natives', but weren't allowed to leave the walled garden and never had to deal with file systems, command lines, etc…

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

they probably don't even know what a DMA channel is

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

njsykora posted:

If you’re in a place without Internet it’s good to have a snapshot of the Wikipedia crucifixion in anime article

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

pseudorandom name posted:

they probably don't even know what a DMA channel is

naw some of them listen to joe rogan i'm sure

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

njsykora posted:

lmao what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

humans have two eyes.

so... what if we had a bunch of cameras with different focal lengths and then sort of mashed that data into a neural network and it guessed at the relative depths of the objects in the scene? that'd be basically just as good, right?

okay, sure, sometimes it gets confused by things like lighting and provides absolute nonsense depth values depending on the colour of the object, and also there's just a big swath of bad data all the time because there was an obstruction there in the earlier data used for training, but still. it's probably good enough to direct a two ton vehicle