Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Oh, that's poo poo. Guess I'm not changing away from my 2017 15" then. Thank you for the answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Oh, that's poo poo. Guess I'm not changing away from my 2017 15" then. Thank you for the answers.

You shouldn’t be getting a 13” MacBook Pro anyway.

It’s a nonsense SKU designed to take advantage of people who want to pay MacBook Air money for the capability and performance of a MacBook Air, but think they’re too “Pro” or too butch or whatever for Apple’s “entry level” computer

any 14” or 16” Pro will drive two external displays no problem, and if you’re spending the money to upgrade the storage and/or RAM on a 13” Pro then you’re already basically spending 14” Pro money (~$1600+ USD depending on sales/etc)

The 14” computer’s not any bigger than the 13” either, they made the bezels smaller

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The 14" MBP goes on sale constantly so keep an eye out if you want a deal

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

My 13" direction was based on M2 rather than M1 because number is higher. Is that also folly?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

It is. The 14-inch MacBook Pro is a vast improvement in terms of performance and features. Boomer's right for the most part (it is slightly larger too in width and depth, but hardly even centimeters more).

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

The 14" MBP is probably the best laptop I have ever owned.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

SourKraut posted:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

SourKraut posted:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

SourKraut posted:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

SourKraut posted:

The 16" MBP is probably the best laptop I have ever owned.

combo breakinnnn

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

My 13" direction was based on M2 rather than M1 because number is higher. Is that also folly?

Imagine that M1 is Apple’s four cylinder design, M1 Pro is Apple’s six cylinder design, and M1 Max is Apple’s eight cylinder design (and I guess M1 Ultra is a V10 in this bad analogy).

M2 is the improved, second gen version of M1.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

SourKraut posted:

Just give me OLED and HDMI 2.1, drat it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think mini LED looks good enough. Is light bleed an issue with the MacBooks or just the iPad Pro?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

hatty posted:

I think mini LED looks good enough. Is light bleed an issue with the MacBooks or just the iPad Pro?

i really hate the 14/16" display but i am an outlier in this regard. it's smeary with really bad bloom and bleed

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

M2 > M1 but M1 Ultra > M1 Max > M1 Pro > M2 > M1

M2 is a generational improvement but it slots into the same spot in the product stack.

Penisaurus Sex fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 1, 2022

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Ok Comboomer posted:

Imagine that M1 is Apple’s four cylinder design, M1 Pro is Apple’s six cylinder design, and M1 Max is Apple’s eight cylinder design (and I guess M1 Ultra is a V10 in this bad analogy).

M2 is the improved, second gen version of M1.

The M1 Ultra would be like Bugatti’s W16, which is really two Volkswagen V8s smushed together.

Anyway the M1 Max 16 inch MBP has been worth every cent and the fact that it can keep up with my 5950X workstation while using a fraction of the power is still bonkers. GPU isn’t as good as a 3080TI but it’s still better than anything in any other laptop. And it does it while getting 10+ hours of battery life.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

SourKraut posted:

Definitely agreed. One of the finest consumer electronic devices ever, and a decent value to boot (when on sale). Same way I feel about iPhone, just blows everything else out of the water as far as complete experience and fit/finish. They can't keep this going forever but I understand why they have the market cap and growth that they do.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Ok Comboomer posted:

You shouldn’t be getting a 13” MacBook Pro anyway.

It’s a nonsense SKU designed to take advantage of people who want to pay MacBook Air money for the capability and performance of a MacBook Air, but think they’re too “Pro” or too butch or whatever for Apple’s “entry level” computer

It isn't that bad, there's a niche audience which needs what it does better than the Air (*) and doesn't need to pay more for the base 14". It's just that this niche is a small one, and with the volume of base 14s they must be moving it seems like that is one of the configs for which deals are most easily found, erasing most of the price gap.

* - two things, basically - better battery life iirc, and has a fan so it can sustain full performance under very high load forever instead of throttling back like the fanless Air has to. So for the OP's sake, the 13" MBP makes sense only if you're good with Air-territory performance but plan to frequently do big compute and/or GPU stuff for extended periods of time (1 minute plus).

Also M2 does mean you get newer versions of the CPU and GPU cores which are faster than the last gen, but the M1 Pro in the 14" and 16" still has more of them (e: more of the performance CPU cores specifically, the non-pro chips have 4 performance cores and the Pro has at minimum 6 P cores and sometimes 8), and the individual cores are not a ton slower. If single thread performance is really important to you, you should wait until Apple gets the M2 versions of the Pro/Max chip out the door in refreshed 14"/16" models.

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 1, 2022

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

the talent deficit posted:

i really hate the 14/16" display but i am an outlier in this regard. it's smeary with really bad bloom and bleed

I have definitely not noticed those issues

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Couple weeks later and I still can't believe how much I can throw at this work-provided M1 Max without the fans even turning on. Intel is a bunch of hack frauds.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

What are people here using the extra muscle on the M1 Pros for? Or is it just ports and the nice screen that is the sell?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

anothergod posted:

What are people here using the extra muscle on the M1 Pros for? Or is it just ports and the nice screen that is the sell?

I primarily use my M1 Max to play World of Warcraft.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm using it to run about 17 PyCharm instances, 8 docker containers, Photoshop, Google Earth, and still have some CPU left over to run mdsync

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Video editing and color work for me. Premiere Pro and Resolve. Both work great for my use case with just the 10c 16gb ram base version of the 16”. I can run either program on my m1 air with 16gb ram OK but have a lot more dropped frames and slow downs. Especially if I’m doing any noise reduction in Resolve and some tools get slow enough that it’s a bit of a pain.

RunemThangs
Jul 26, 2021

track day bro! posted:

Has anyone here used the continuity camera thing?

I thought it was only an AS thing but apparently updating my MacMini to Ventura added the feature.

Except like every modern apple feature there are no settings for this and it’s supposed to ‘just work’ which it did once.

So both the phone and the mac are on the same wifi and after trying it once the only way to get it to come up is by plugging it in physically.

Although I think i prefer my MacBooks crappier webcam because I hate looking at myself in that and seeing even more detail makes it worse.

MacBook Pro 2019 here. I got it working beautifully once as well. Dunno what I did when it worked, but I remember setting up FaceTime and double-checking that my Mac and phone were both working in tandem on my network. I was able to get it working on FaceTime once, and then once on Discord (which looked beautiful and had solid connection even with me moving my phone around at arms length). It’s funny cause I had actually asked an Apple Care tech if it would work on non-Apple apps and I was told a strong no.

Tried it again the next day and it wouldn’t connect. It would keep timing out the connect request. Best I can get now is a black signal and no audio.

This was a couple weeks after Ventura dropped. I could barely find support info on this. Haven’t looked back into it yet.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

SourKraut posted:

I feel the same about the M2 Air TBH.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

TACD posted:

I feel the same about the M2 Air TBH.

I'm still thinking about getting one, mainly because it seems like my current mba doesn't do that well when it has to support my new 4k monitor. things just seem slow.

for the M2 air, what are the main reasons you'd want the 10 core vs. 8 core GPU?

also does 4k streaming video being extremely choppy relate to internet connection, or GPU?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 2, 2022

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I’ve got a 2015 macbook pro running catalina. if I back it up with time machine, can i do a clean system restore on a 2022 macbook pro? Are the new CPUs incompatible with catalina? should i update the OS (don’t like the look of new ones!) and create a fresh backup before trying to transfer over to a fresh machine?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Head Bee Guy posted:

(don’t like the look of new ones!)

Really? They're not that different lol

Catalina:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS_Catalina

Ventura:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS_Ventura

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Most people do more on a computer than look at the desktop.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

The Lord Bude posted:

I primarily use my M1 Max to play World of Warcraft.

Lol of course

actionjackson posted:

I'm still thinking about getting one, mainly because it seems like my current mba doesn't do that well when it has to support my new 4k monitor. things just seem slow.

for the M2 air, what are the main reasons you'd want the 10 core vs. 8 core GPU?

also does 4k streaming video being extremely choppy relate to internet connection, or GPU?

I haven't heard of or noticed choppy 4k video. The media engine on the M2 also supposedly makes that easy for m2MBAs.

Re GPU i think it's the worst upgrade among ram, storage, and GPU. When i need to game i parsec into my $250 gaming PC and it's... Just leagues better haha. If you need to do video editing there's specialized hardware so, like, yeah... The GPU upgrade is pretty low priority afaik

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

American McGay posted:

Oooh, lookit mr task doer over here

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I think you’re just pushing the laptop you have to its limits. Likely even a base model M2 would free you of all those annoyances. That said, I’d spring for 16GB of memory and however much storage you need. 256GB is OK, but it can fill up quickly depending on how much of a storage fiend you are. The CPU upgrade I’d skip unless you know you need graphics processing power, like the other goon suggested

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

American McGay posted:

Yeah, and? Do you really consider the changes they've made in macOS and iOS over the last 5 years that drastic? If he's utilizing an iPhone with iOS 16 (which is a fair assumption - are there many Android users using Apple laptops?), half of the integrated apps like Notes and Reminders are missing features he would get if he installed Monterey or Ventura.

Just seems like a real reactionary viewpoint.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 2, 2022

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

anothergod posted:

Lol of course

I haven't heard of or noticed choppy 4k video. The media engine on the M2 also supposedly makes that easy for m2MBAs.

Re GPU i think it's the worst upgrade among ram, storage, and GPU. When i need to game i parsec into my $250 gaming PC and it's... Just leagues better haha. If you need to do video editing there's specialized hardware so, like, yeah... The GPU upgrade is pretty low priority afaik

That's not really accurate for any Metal based tasks. Those benefit from the GPU upgrades in a big way and can be found in a lot of apps. Even doing video work, the dedicated hardware only handles video, not all the stuff you do around it. Like After Effects, Fusion, Resolve, any 3D app, etc. all benefit from more Metal cores. Is it worth the $? That's subjective but assuming GPU=Gaming is kinda missing the point.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

actionjackson posted:

my dad ended up getting an M2 Air last week (~$1700) because he didn’t want to pay $2k+ for 16gb of RAM and 1TB.

He almost cancelled it in order to capitalize on the BH $1200 16GB/1TB M1 Air Cyber Monday deal before deciding that he’d rather just have the M2 and have Magsafe/newer screen/more updated chassis for longer and be done with it.

It’s replacing a 2009 C2D 21” iMac.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

cool thanks. i just have 128GB right now and it's generally fine, so i'll stick with 256. But 16 GB memory sounds good.

does the 3% cash back on the apple card apply to the MBA? i.e. if I signed up for it, would I not only be able to to installments but have a 3% lower MSRP

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

actionjackson posted:

cool thanks. i just have 128GB right now and it's generally fine, so i'll stick with 256. But 16 GB memory sounds good.

does the 3% cash back on the apple card apply to the MBA? i.e. if I signed up for it, would I not only be able to to installments but have a 3% lower MSRP

512 minimum or bust, IMO

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lmao

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

that's about how much i'd pay for it