Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Any recommendations for cabinet paint? My friend painted his and complains that the paint is chipping and got peeled off w tape. Claims he primed beforehand but i dunno about that.

I remember my painter swearing by this stuff that was like $80/gallon but a quick search doesn't reveal anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Alkyd enamel paint, and give it like a whole week to dry before heavy use

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
We used Sherwin Williams Acrylic-Alkyd and it was great.

MSRP is just over $100/gallon but you'll pay less.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Tape will take off fresh paint on regular old walls depending on the type of tape, paint, climate, and technique.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

H110Hawk posted:

Oh god metal studs. Yes that will also provide support. As would a wooden dowel with a little rubber foot on it.

That is also the single beefiest collection of hangers I've personally seen. Swapping some of those out for plastic cheapies from Target or Walmart could lighten the load. But they are very nice!

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Inner Light posted:

That is also the single beefiest collection of hangers I've personally seen. Swapping some of those out for plastic cheapies from Target or Walmart could lighten the load. But they are very nice!

No

Edit: I think I will go the wooden dowel route. Will have to cut to size.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Any recommendations for cabinet paint? My friend painted his and complains that the paint is chipping and got peeled off w tape. Claims he primed beforehand but i dunno about that.

I remember my painter swearing by this stuff that was like $80/gallon but a quick search doesn't reveal anything

We had good luck with the Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations. I assume it's all stuff you could buy cheaper separately, but it worked as advertised. Most of the steps involved are surface prep.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Most of the steps involved are surface prep.

Painting.txt

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Cabinet painting chat:

I have kitchen cabinets. Solid wood, with I think two layers of oil based paint. Then a layer of water based primer and a layer of water based house paint that was rolled on rather than sprayed. I want to refinish with a proper cabinet paint sprayed on. Should I:

A. sand the water based paint flat
B. Sand the water based paint entirely off
or
C. Chemical strip (I really don't want to!)

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
We had to cut a trench through our stamped and dyed slate-look concrete patio to run utility conduits. We're finally patching the cut on Wednesday. I was bemoaning the fact that it won't match the rest of the patio, and my wife suggested doing something creative with it, like embedding sea glass or something. Is it straightfoward to just sprinkle and smooth some sea glass in after its poured? Will this do terrible things to the lifespan of the concrete? We live in the San Francisco Bay Area, so it never really freezes here (so no freeze-thaw cycles on any water that may get under a piece of glass).

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Vim Fuego posted:

Cabinet painting chat:

I have kitchen cabinets. Solid wood, with I think two layers of oil based paint. Then a layer of water based primer and a layer of water based house paint that was rolled on rather than sprayed. I want to refinish with a proper cabinet paint sprayed on. Should I:

or

Is donating to your local Habitat Restore and buying ikea an option?

Because your listed options blow. What is your time worth? Like real, $/hr to you?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
No, I'd buy actual cabinets. Then we're talking 15k. I suppose I'm assessing whether refinishing what we've got is at all worth it. I would prefer to keep them vs. tear out and buy new but I admit keeping the original carcasses is an aesthetic choice.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Is it still possible to buy relatively thick chrome plated brass square tube for bathroom towel rods? All I can find are stamped folded metal at big box stores, or aluminum.

I did a dumb-- I bought a vintage sink and repurposed the rod in another bathroom to replace some corroded parts on it, and thought it would be easy to replace and as it turns out, no. It's a 36" bar so I need something stronger than what I'm able to find. I am on the cusp of just buying unfinished square brass tube and taking it to a chrome shop but that seems insane.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Qwijib0 posted:

Is it still possible to buy relatively thick chrome plated brass square tube for bathroom towel rods? All I can find are stamped folded metal at big box stores, or aluminum.

I did a dumb-- I bought a vintage sink and repurposed the rod in another bathroom to replace some corroded parts on it, and thought it would be easy to replace and as it turns out, no. It's a 36" bar so I need something stronger than what I'm able to find. I am on the cusp of just buying unfinished square brass tube and taking it to a chrome shop but that seems insane.

McMaster-Carr has chrome-plated brass pipe, but that's round, not square tube. And also doesn't go up to 36". Still, I'd give 'em a call; they can probably manufacture what you need, it's just a matter of how much they'll charge you for it.

Why chrome-plated brass, specifically? That is, if it's being plated, what does it matter what the underlying material is?

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Vim Fuego posted:

Cabinet painting chat:

or

A heat gun on a low setting (350F?) plus a carbide scraper might get most of it off then you can finish with sanding. If any of it's lead-based, well, make drat sure your heat gun stays well below 752 F and be careful with the chips and dust. You could scorch the wood but it probably doesn't matter so much.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

McMaster-Carr has chrome-plated brass pipe, but that's round, not square tube. And also doesn't go up to 36". Still, I'd give 'em a call; they can probably manufacture what you need, it's just a matter of how much they'll charge you for it.

Why chrome-plated brass, specifically? That is, if it's being plated, what does it matter what the underlying material is?

I guess I don't really care what the underlying metal is, but it's for a bathroom so I'd like it to not rust-- so that I think limits me to copper, brass or bronze and I've never seen square tube in copper or bronze.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Qwijib0 posted:

I guess I don't really care what the underlying metal is, but it's for a bathroom so I'd like it to not rust-- so that I think limits me to copper, brass or bronze and I've never seen square tube in copper or bronze.

Stainless square tubing would be another easy option.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Yooper posted:

Stainless square tubing would be another easy option.
didn't even think of this, looks like mirror finish square tube is a thing, neat. :tipshat:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Qwijib0 posted:

didn't even think of this, looks like mirror finish square tube is a thing, neat. :tipshat:

You can get aluminum tube stock too

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

You can get aluminum tube stock too

I'd be afraid of it tarnishing over time.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Qwijib0 posted:

I'd be afraid of it tarnishing over time.

Just buy like....5 of these and you'll probably be set on that issue for a couple decades

https://www.build.com/pamex-bc3-13836/s438290?uid=1557194&searchId=2WPBaHhXF1

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sirotan posted:

Just buy like....5 of these and you'll probably be set on that issue for a couple decades

https://www.build.com/pamex-bc3-13836/s438290?uid=1557194&searchId=2WPBaHhXF1

That bar at that price is probably like my current replacement, it's not bar stock, it's basically folded foil

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Protip: install that bar with the seam out of sight (rotate it 90- or 180-degrees)

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 30, 2022

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I rotated it for the picture, and to illustrate what I am not looking for in a bar

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Muir posted:

We had to cut a trench through our stamped and dyed slate-look concrete patio to run utility conduits. We're finally patching the cut on Wednesday. I was bemoaning the fact that it won't match the rest of the patio, and my wife suggested doing something creative with it, like embedding sea glass or something. Is it straightfoward to just sprinkle and smooth some sea glass in after its poured? Will this do terrible things to the lifespan of the concrete? We live in the San Francisco Bay Area, so it never really freezes here (so no freeze-thaw cycles on any water that may get under a piece of glass).

something like this?

Should work just fine, after pouring just sprinkle it on top and use a lawn roller or something to press the pieces in. Ask your concrete supplier to use microfiber additive to prevent cracking

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I'm going to be installing some Lifeproof LVP, is it worth getting the kit with tapping block, spacers, etc, or should I just go with a rubber mallet and sacrificial piece of flooring?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Absolutely worth it, that little rubber block made things so much easier. If you can buy that part separately I would, the other stuff in the kit I didn't need.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The end piece tapper/puller is very helpful. The tapping block is good, but I've used some scrap wood when I was too lazy too dig the block out

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

something like this?

Should work just fine, after pouring just sprinkle it on top and use a lawn roller or something to press the pieces in. Ask your concrete supplier to use microfiber additive to prevent cracking

I'm pretty sure you'd need to grind/hone the top of that cement after adding the glass to get this look, you can't just toss it in the drying cement and call it a day. Using a roller will cover all the glass with cement and will leave you with an uneven (possibly even sharp) surface.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

brugroffil posted:

The end piece tapper/puller is very helpful. The tapping block is good, but I've used some scrap wood when I was too lazy too dig the block out

I had a total brain fart, the part you are talking about is the one I meant. This guy:

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I haven't posted in DIY (or whatever ya'll call yourselves) before, but here we go.

Old awfulness: https://imgur.com/a/mn9J1JN

Expect irregular updates

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Mustache Ride posted:

I haven't posted in DIY (or whatever ya'll call yourselves) before, but here we go.

Expect irregular updates

Start a thread and :justpost: imo

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Very exciting, there is a ton of potential in those spaces. All you need is unlimited money and time.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Inner Light posted:

All you need is unlimited money and time.
The secret to success in any project

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mustache Ride posted:

Expect irregular updates

I like your live oaks.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sirotan posted:

I'm pretty sure you'd need to grind/hone the top of that cement after adding the glass to get this look, you can't just toss it in the drying cement and call it a day. Using a roller will cover all the glass with cement and will leave you with an uneven (possibly even sharp) surface.

Sure, it’ll be a little uneven but I think that’s the desired look. Polishing the concrete is gonna make it too smooth for a walkway. That’s for countertops or interior floors. Seaglass is tumbled to ease any sharp edges.

Pour, screed, float, and then pour the seaglass on top and gently push it in. After you float the concrete it should be set to the point where the seaglass won’t get anything on it but some bleed water. Good point on the lawn roller, a finishing trowel is probably a better choice. I’ve never done it personally but this video shows it going the way I expected:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUyh8kUt-qg

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
This looks sick as hell, all flush and even like terrazzo. Seems very doable imo
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f-lQj7jserk

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
That video is very helpful, thanks! I may give this a try.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

That's really cool and way easier than I was expecting. Now I wanna make some too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I like your live oaks.

Thanks! I'm in Austin in a neighborhood called Oak Hill. I've got 3 in the backyard providing the whole hill yard with shade, and the chickens love it.

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Start a thread and :justpost: imo

I'll put one together with what I've done to the place so far, and what's coming, sure. Until then, day 1 progress: