Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I mean worth remembering that princi is like one of the only people who straight up bum rushes the darkness devil without any hesitation, and she also can just up teleport people to hell, which was a massive deal when the Hell Devil did it. I’m not sure how much of her apparent lack of power is real and how much is just her not getting as many chances to actually show off, especially since she pretty consistently cleans house almost every time she does fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, Power is the Blood Devil. I think it's safe to assume she'd be far more of a shitwrecker if she wasn't a Fiend.

She is powerful but to be honest I think Blood is in a weird position when it comes to fear. As she herself acknowledged it also can have a lot of positive associations. And as far as outright fear of it goes people seem incredibly blaise about violent death unless it goes crazy.

Blood isn't going to be chicken weak or anything but I don't think it inherently is a A tier shitwrecker. Power didnt even have any special restraints unlike Violence

King of Solomon posted:

The Bat Devil was threatening enough that I imagine the Spider devil is still a nightmare.

Bat was big but it has been severely wounded by a human Hunter even before mewting Denji. It was pretty weak in larger scheme of things.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 30, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

and she also can just up teleport people to hell

I think she can teleport people to her current location by unzipping herself.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ImpAtom posted:

Bat was big but it has been severely wounded by a human Hunter even before mewting Denji. It was pretty weak in larger scheme of things.

Yeah, relative to some of the other threats they fought Bat was pretty weak, but it wasn't a joke either. It was a real threat that Power needed help to deal with, and a hypothetical Spider devil would be much worse.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

Blood isn't going to be chicken weak or anything but I don't think it inherently is a A tier shitwrecker. Power didnt even have any special restraints unlike Violence

Wasn't there a thing where Power had to have her blood drained regularly so she wouldn't get too strong? Between that and Violence's poison mask I assumed all the fiends have some kind of limiter on them.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Alacron posted:

Wasn't there a thing where Power had to have her blood drained regularly so she wouldn't get too strong? Between that and Violence's poison mask I assumed all the fiends have some kind of limiter on them.

yes, presumably if she hits a certain threshold she regains the ability to control others’ blood without effort, at which point she can kill you just by wanting it

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

And as far as outright fear of it goes people seem incredibly blaise about violent death unless it goes crazy.

Hemophobia is real dawg. it makes people have physical reactions that other specific fears dont, like the vasovagal response. I'm not sure Fujimoto was going for that, but it can be a really powerful fear.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Alacron posted:

Fiends are also just straight up much weaker than their devil selves.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Brightman posted:

Was thinking about last episode and Makima just no selling the drinking competition. Do you think that was part of her contract with the prime minister and as a result some citizen(s) got super drunk at random?

I thought we agreed that she was making everyone else drink for her without them noticing with her powers? Hence why they were completely wasted and she was fine.

Oxxidation posted:

yes, presumably if she hits a certain threshold she regains the ability to control others’ blood without effort, at which point she can kill you just by wanting it

She does it to Makima when she fights her and just literally starts stabbing Makima with her own blood from the inside it was absolutely cracked and part of the reason why Denji was able to actually kill Makima since she couldn't regen properly.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Fiends are also just straight up much weaker than their devil selves.

Do note that only Violence, Shark and Power are fiends. Prinz and Angel are full devils, just very human-like.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Yeah fiends are a straight up downgrade from pure devil forms. I can never remember where that’s stated but I also remember it being said to be a survival mechanism. It’s also not clear if it’s very reversible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alacron posted:

Oh you are right.

i flunked out posted:

Hemophobia is real dawg. it makes people have physical reactions that other specific fears dont, like the vasovagal response. I'm not sure Fujimoto was going for that, but it can be a really powerful fear.

Yeah but every kind of phobia is real. There are enough people terrified of chickens or tomatoes to get a Devil.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Bucky empowered by some Gun Devil shards would turn into the kind of chicken that chicken farmers know: vicious little proto velociraptor bullies

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Power is as mentioned probably hard-limited for most of the story as a fiend by public safety intentionally draining her blood so she can't get too saucy- since unless Makima was lying it effects her arrogance too. When power gets brought back as a proper devil she can snap her fingers and wreck everyone in her line of sight- she only gets hosed up again because Makima is there and she is trying to flee with Denji.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Yeah fiends are a straight up downgrade from pure devil forms. I can never remember where that’s stated but I also remember it being said to be a survival mechanism. It’s also not clear if it’s very reversible.

They’d have to be killed to fully reset is my assumption.

Fiends are a lot weaker than devils. Akis fiend was one of the strongest we’ve seen but also just the smallest fraction compared to gun itself.

Presumably not all powerful devils are powerful in destruction. Prinz has impressive feats like people mention even if it’s not beating someone up

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

They’d have to be killed to fully reset is my assumption.

Fiends are a lot weaker than devils. Akis fiend was one of the strongest we’ve seen but also just the smallest fraction compared to gun itself.

Presumably not all powerful devils are powerful in destruction. Prinz has impressive feats like people mention even if it’s not beating someone up

Yeah. She just looks less scary because she's humanoid, and that's because she's one of the most human friendly Devils by default.

She also seems to be the most Makima-loyal of Chainsaw Man's followers.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

much like actual spiders, princi doesn't really want to gently caress with people and is just trying to chill

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Power is as mentioned probably hard-limited for most of the story as a fiend by public safety intentionally draining her blood so she can't get too saucy- since unless Makima was lying it effects her arrogance too. When power gets brought back as a proper devil she can snap her fingers and wreck everyone in her line of sight- she only gets hosed up again because Makima is there and she is trying to flee with Denji.

That's also because she ate a piece of Pochita, which is presumably like eating a piece of the gun devil but considerably more amped up.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

LostRook posted:

That's also because she ate a piece of Pochita, which is presumably like eating a piece of the gun devil but considerably more amped up.

That was just necessary to get her back from "a bit of blood" to "full POWER".

From Makima's regular draining, Power seems to be a big time threat on her own merits. We also see that she can control other people's blood with difficulty at her weakest, so the swords thing seems like a pretty logical baseline ability.

...Which leads to the question of what the heck Power ran into when she arrived that got her so beaten down that she needed to get in a corpse to survive.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

SirKibbles posted:

I thought we agreed that she was making everyone else drink for her without them noticing with her powers? Hence why they were completely wasted and she was fine.

What? I thought we agreed that she's just built different

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

That was just necessary to get her back from "a bit of blood" to "full POWER".

From Makima's regular draining, Power seems to be a big time threat on her own merits. We also see that she can control other people's blood with difficulty at her weakest, so the swords thing seems like a pretty logical baseline ability.

...Which leads to the question of what the heck Power ran into when she arrived that got her so beaten down that she needed to get in a corpse to survive.

I’d be in interesting in resurrection myself. To arrive on earth a devil has already been beaten down. So my base assumption is they’re pretty weak when they show up on earth. Stronger or more feared Devils regain strength faster. Though occasionally maybe they get ganked my hunters or other devils not long after arrival. That’s my theory anyway. For Power it’s also possible she took the fiend body on arrival figuring it would be easier to get a lot of access to blood that way while she got strong again. Either way I think she was newly arrived and not close to full power when she ran into hunters or a devil and then later bat.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Foolish humans, Power obviously intentionally handicapped herself by taking a fiend form, because she's so great and powerful that it wouldn't be fair otherwise

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

That’s the general rule yes, although exactly how much of a downgrade it is seems to vary wildly. Violence was noted as being much less of a downgrade than normal without his mask. And Yoru doesn’t seem to have lost any power at all, since she notes that Asa can make weapons just as strong as anything she can make. (Although Yoru was already crippled by Chainsaw before she possessed Asa.)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

That’s the general rule yes, although exactly how much of a downgrade it is seems to vary wildly. Violence was noted as being much less of a downgrade than normal without his mask. And Yoru doesn’t seem to have lost any power at all, since she notes that Asa can make weapons just as strong as anything she can make. (Although Yoru was already crippled by Chainsaw before she possessed Asa.)

Yoru isn't really a Fiend, though. She's something of a halfway-mark between that and a true hybrid like Denji/Pochita. Hybrids are always shown to be pretty impressively tough and powerful.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I would say that the Asa/Yoru situation is somewhere between being a Fiend and a contract with Devil. Yoru revived Asa, gets to live in her body and take full control if she wants, but Asa has full consciousness and free will, the whole thing is based on a contract, and it seems that the only power Asa/Yoru gets is the weapon creation which, while powerful, seems like something a mortal could get out of a contract with War Devil. Asa doesn't seem to get any inhuman features, transformations or super strength/speed/regeneration like Fiends or Hybrids.

Although that might be due to Yoru not wanting to blow her cover and holding back.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Yeah I mean “downgrade” doesn’t always mean they’re a chump.

I’ve been thinking about the power system a lot and how much I like it. It’s very easy to instantly understand, and the more specific stuff doesn’t feel hard to get either.

Devils seem to be born with a certain base power level, that can be modulated based on general fear of the concept, local fear the devil causes, as well as the amount of blood and flesh (of humans and devils) they consume. Losing physical chunks of themselves make them weaker (and if chainsaw eats them it’s permanent), and if they get super weak they can get some of it back through becoming a fiend.

Also very few (if any) devils legit regenerate, blood just makes their missing pieces mend and re-attach. It’s never growing a new arm is putting the arms back. Devil power is very physically based.

I’ve always liked that even the powers that create exceptions don’t lead to anime rules fight. I love rules fight like any other fan of the genre, but I’m glad CSM does things different.

Also knowing what I know about CSMs big world building twist about chainsaw deleting concepts, I was kind of curious if any parts of “eternity” got erased in that fight. I can’t imagine that’ll ever be addressed.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

There's a small scene after the katana arc where Power has sprouted new horns cause she drank too much blood. This made her strong enough to accidentally backhand Denji into the ceiling.

Even Fiend Power at full strength is probably a monster.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Power needed a human guise to become President, as only humans can be President, you see

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

Power needed a human guise to become President, as only humans can be President, you see

Poor Power. Unaware of the cabal of space aliens who secretly run the world.

... Man there must be a conspiracy devil, huh?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ImpAtom posted:

Poor Power. Unaware of the cabal of space aliens who secretly run the world.

... Man there must be a conspiracy devil, huh?
can you truly be sure they exist?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Darth Walrus posted:

All of the Public Safety Fiends are only mildly powerful despite hosting what should by all rights be serious heavy hitter devils. That seems to be their whole thing. I mean, the Violence Fiend alone...

I think in Japanese he's not the Fiend of all violence. He's the Gang Violence Fiend.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

can you truly be sure they exist?

Don’t say things like this you’ll only make the conspiracy devil more powerful

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Brightman posted:

Was thinking about last episode and Makima just no selling the drinking competition. Do you think that was part of her contract with the prime minister and as a result some citizen(s) got super drunk at random?

Makima can drink like nobody's business and be fine because she doesn't lose control.

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 1, 2022

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Lamebot posted:

The Makima can drink like nobody's business and be fine because she doesn't lose control.

Okay, yeah, that makes the most sense.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Brightman posted:

Okay, yeah, that makes the most sense.

Does it? Or is that just the work of the Conspiracy Devil?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://twitter.com/itsjanemahoney/status/1597759673632886784?s=61&t=E9PQw9tI8hphWtKzQBmZ0A

pizzabutt
Jul 19, 2022

Yeah I mean “downgrade” doesn’t always mean they’re a chump.

I’ve been thinking about the power system a lot and how much I like it. It’s very easy to instantly understand, and the more specific stuff doesn’t feel hard to get either.

Devils seem to be born with a certain base power level, that can be modulated based on general fear of the concept, local fear the devil causes, as well as the amount of blood and flesh (of humans and devils) they consume. Losing physical chunks of themselves make them weaker (and if chainsaw eats them it’s permanent), and if they get super weak they can get some of it back through becoming a fiend.

Also very few (if any) devils legit regenerate, blood just makes their missing pieces mend and re-attach. It’s never growing a new arm is putting the arms back. Devil power is very physically based.

I’ve always liked that even the powers that create exceptions don’t lead to anime rules fight. I love rules fight like any other fan of the genre, but I’m glad CSM does things different.

Also knowing what I know about CSMs big world building twist about chainsaw deleting concepts, I was kind of curious if any parts of “eternity” got erased in that fight. I can’t imagine that’ll ever be addressed.

The Bat Devil did grow his arm back after drinking Denji's blood but Angel was stuck armless after the Darkness Devil so regrowing body parts must be a case by case basis with them

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Lt. Lizard posted:

I would say that the Asa/Yoru situation is somewhere between being a Fiend and a contract with Devil. Yoru revived Asa, gets to live in her body and take full control if she wants, but Asa has full consciousness and free will, the whole thing is based on a contract, and it seems that the only power Asa/Yoru gets is the weapon creation which, while powerful, seems like something a mortal could get out of a contract with War Devil. Asa doesn't seem to get any inhuman features, transformations or super strength/speed/regeneration like Fiends or Hybrids.

Although that might be due to Yoru not wanting to blow her cover and holding back.

Yoru says she replaced half of Asa's brain remember Asa wasn't dead yet so it's a Denji /Pochita situation not a fiend. Denji got more stuff in his transformation eventually too so I'm guessing it's the war devil just being super weak right now.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

pizzabutt posted:

The Bat Devil did grow his arm back after drinking Denji's blood but Angel was stuck armless after the Darkness Devil so regrowing body parts must be a case by case basis with them

I think it’s more about what Darkness did to them specifically rather than them being unable to recover from a torn off arm. That was my interpretation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pizzabutt
Jul 19, 2022

EmmyOk posted:

I think it’s more about what Darkness did to them specifically rather than them being unable to recover from a torn off arm. That was my interpretation.

Yeah, it didn't really cut off their arms or anything tbh, they just kinda fell off, no blood at all.