Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

…… Whatever. I can tell you’ve already decided on this and it’s not like he’s that hard to find. Just be careful. Make it something that can’t be traced back to you *or* me.
Way ahead of you there. Don’t worry, I’m not going to do anything as juvenile as pissing in his gas tank. I’m going to aim a bit higher than that.
Higher than the gas tank…? What, are you going to piss through his sunroof?

:roflolmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

It's a shame that all of the limited time hangout opportunities are nonoptimal because they can't rank up the confidant. I'm not sure how they could have fixed it. I wonder what it says about the main character that he's only willing to hang out with his friends on his own terms, and whenever his friends ask to hang out with him he declines and whenever they do it anyway he's bitter (or at least the player is).

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Futaba's awakening is interesting since it's more a P4 awakening than a P5 awakening, with her directly talking to her shadow and accepting it. Futaba's shadow is also rather interesting, since she's made of suppressed positive feelings and thus more or less non-hostile.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Considering Futaba's mom died by mental shutdown (read: Akechi did it) is it possible Pancakes implanted a lot of triggers into Futaba's psyche while he was doing the job?

To the best of my knowledge nothing in the writing directly supports this, it's pure speculation, but is it possible?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's no real evidence of that. It seems more plausible that the story we're given in Futaba's Palace is just the truth: Futaba was convinced she was responsible for her mother's death by Shido's goons, who were trying to cover up Wakaba's research.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I don't see how he could even do that. As far as we see I'm pretty sure the only palace things we know that effects real life people is killing the shadow or taking their treasure. Like, maybe he could do what you do with Mishima and just gaslight Futaba's shadow, but A) that's basically the same thing that Shido's goons did to real Futaba so that doesn't even change anything, and B) we don't even know if Futaba would have had a shadow, even in Mementos, before Wakaba's death.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Lunar Suite posted:

Futaba's awakening is interesting since it's more a P4 awakening than a P5 awakening, with her directly talking to her shadow and accepting it. Futaba's shadow is also rather interesting, since she's made of suppressed positive feelings and thus more or less non-hostile.

I wouldn't be surprised if the pyramid cutscenes and design were created first during the dev process, because it would make a lot of sense if they had those planned out along with a persona mechanic more in line with P4, before rewrites happened.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Hellioning posted:

I don't see how he could even do that. As far as we see I'm pretty sure the only palace things we know that effects real life people is killing the shadow or taking their treasure. Like, maybe he could do what you do with Mishima and just gaslight Futaba's shadow, but A) that's basically the same thing that Shido's goons did to real Futaba so that doesn't even change anything, and B) we don't even know if Futaba would have had a shadow, even in Mementos, before Wakaba's death.

I also thought Akechi can't access Mementos anyway? Coming to Mementos is one of the times his act drops and he's just actually confused, and all of his victims having palaces makes some sense with his fixation on justice and them all being scum anyway; Wakaba at the least has a decent excuse at having a distorted desire with her work/life balance and prioritising her work above everything else. Either way I doubt Futaba would've had a Palace that early anyway so he wouldn't be able to touch her then anyway.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It kind of strains credulity that randos like Fast Food Middle Manager Who Gets Naked and Train Derailment Guy would have had full Palaces, in my opinion, but also we're not given much of a reason they would have even appeared in Mementos

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Arist posted:

It kind of strains credulity that randos like Fast Food Middle Manager Who Gets Naked and Train Derailment Guy would have had full Palaces, in my opinion, but also we're not given much of a reason they would have even appeared in Mementos

To Rando McBurger, the great sinner of getting my order wrong. You put pickles on my burger despite me asking repeatedly for no pickles. We have decided to make you confess your crimes from your own mouth. We will take your distorted desires and a $5 coupon as an apology. Signed, AkechiThe Phantom Secret Shopper.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah at the end of the day it seems like Akechi just knows things the Phantom Thieves don't about brain hax and whether that's a plot hole or just a feature of "Akechi's been doing this for a while, huh?" is in the eye beholder.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 97: 8/1-8/2: Embarrassing Work Encounters

Anon: Tell ‘em who’s boss!

Daytime

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain (Instrumental Version)

Sounds like Yusuke’s here. Come on, let’s go downstairs.

“Medjed.” They are a notorious hacker group whose members’ identities are still unknown. Medjed has carried out numerous cyberterrorist attacks and the name is recognized around the world. However, it is still unknown why they intend to attack Japan.

Is it? I feel like they’ve explained it. It’s not a good explanation, but still.

Our opponents are pretty famous, too. If they wanna fight, then let’s do it fair and square!

(Elderly Female Customer) Ah, okay, so they’re terrorists. What are these hackers trying to do to us?
They’re… Ah, you know. They’re planning on doing some pretty bad stuff.

If we are not planning to infiltrate today, why don’t we search for ideas between the pages of this book?

Sorry, Yusuke. We need to do something else today. Something very, very important. Not overselling this at all, nope.

(Doting Father) Wh-What’s wrong, big guy? You look pale!
I go to bed, but I can’t fall asleep… And my body feels really heavy…
Let me see what I can do!

Music: TRIPLE SEVEN

Today, we will be… working at the convenience store! Yep! Big, important poo poo! Sorry, Yusuke!

For real though, this is not some master gambit by me, we could use the points in Charm but there’s actually a side event I wanted to show off that got added in Royal, and if I’m lucky we’ll see it when we go to work here. My initial plan for today was to play some billiards, but we don’t have the required item to rank up our Technicals at the moment. My backup was trial by burger, but we didn’t have a challenge we were capable of clearing today, so I went with this.

Oh, you’re coming in today? That’d be so helpful!

This chick must hate my loving guts.

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

Oh no!!! How mortifying!

To be fair to me, I mostly don’t.

And that pink uniform…! It actually looks great on you, I’m surprised.

Oh god, kill me now.

Oh, I’m sorry for troubling you! I’ll see you at the cashier in a bit!

I can’t help wanting to buy protein chocolate bars, or those jelly drinks…

Sweet, a point with Kasumi. If it wasn’t clear, I went into work today to see if I could get that event, or at least one like it. We didn’t actually need that Kasumi point, though. A point with Chihaya would have been greatly appreciated, actually, considering that her last Confidant rank had zero opportunity to gain points, so she’s not ready to rank up. I have no idea if Chihaya can even show up here, though, so it’s moot. In fact, the more I think about it the more likely I find it that Confidants showing up here is on some sort of set rotation, so it’s entirely possible that this was always going to be Kasumi’s turn.

Maaku gains Charm +2.

You’re almost done, right? Let’s get your pay and go home.

Maaku gains 3,500 yen.

I’ll change and go home…

Daytime → Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask

>Let’s panic.
I wasn’t going to go that far…
I doubt it was Medjed. It’s a fairly minor incident and has none of their hallmarks.
>No, we should panic anyway.
But it’s probably not even related, and we’ve got plenty of time still!
>When have we ever let that stop us before!?

There’s a laundromat next to the bathhouse, right? If we’ve got spare time, maybe we could wash them.

We’ll probably eventually do some laundry, but that will be a ways off still, I think. We’ve got a decent amount of money, but not enough to justify paying Kawakami 5,000 yen to wash like two things that we could probably just sell in Kichijoji anyway. Once we have a bigger stockpile of points at the secondhand clothes store and more available free nights, we’ll go for it… but I’m not expecting that to happen until maybe November.

Before we do anything else tonight, we’re going to go to the sports shop in the underground mall.

The Jump Cue is the item we need to pull off the next Technical shot to rank up. I know that we could have just bought this during the day today and gone to play billiards, since I mentioned that was Plan A for today, but… shut up. It should really be clear by now that I mostly wing it when it comes to how I spend time in this game.

Music: Time to Repent

It’s even hotter this summer.

Maybe you shouldn’t be wearing that sweater, then.

You have more aptitude for this than I imagined. I also sense an ambitious spirit within you. I should’ve taken into account your improvement throughout our lessons. I have something in mind, but let’s play a match first… In fact, let’s play right now.

After we finish this match, let’s go to a secondhand bookstore.

Star Rank 4: Part 82

In the original LP, we actually did this same event on the same day. Weird coincidence, that.

Music: Break it Down

Today I thought we’d find you something to help you train on your own.This bookstore is filled with shogi-related books. I’ve been coming here a lot lately. There’s also a curry restaurant just around the corner. I recommend their katsu curry. I always eat katsu curry before an important match… for good luck.

(Almond-Eyed Girl) Hifumi…
…Hello. I hope your match went well today…

Music: Suspicion

What are you talking about? Today’s our day off.
…My apologies. I forgot that there aren’t any matches scheduled for today…

Well, look at Miss Famous over here, out shopping with her boyfriend. How nice… Well, I won’t intrude. Bye…

She’s my senior… I defeated her in a recent title match.

The curry works, then… Interesting…
Where did you get this katsu curry!?
I’ll never talk!

The truth is… I’m not very well liked by my seniors…

They seem to think I’m some sort of glory hound… I thought they would have tried harder to beat me considering their disdain, but whenever I go against them they play suspiciously badly… I wonder why…

The more attention I get, the more enemies I make, and the more lies are spread about me…

Can’t relate. Everybody loves me. It is the cross I must bear.

Perhaps it’s odd to compare myself to them, but… I wonder if it’s the same for the Phantom Thieves.

Hm?

People are so divided about them on the internet. Some love them, while others hate them… I can’t help but see similarities between us. What do you think about them?

They sound cool. And sexy. Super sexy cool.

…I feel the same way, actually. It’s amazing that they’re still doing what they do, even though so many people criticize them… They give me courage.

That’s… good to hear.

But their victories can’t be won with will alone…. How do they change a person’s heart…? I’m interested from a tactical standpoint, and… Oh, I’m sorry! We really are quite off-topic… I feel I’ve become much more talkative as of late. I usually don’t talk this much… You’re more than just someone I can practice new moves with. You’re someone I can confide in.

Almost like some sort of… confidant…

Um, if you don’t mind this sort of thing… I’d like to go out and chat with you again.
I feel Hifumi’s trust in me growing…

Let’s go.

(We do not actually receive any sort of book from this)

Well then, until our next match. Take care.

My intention was to show you how great Jinbocho is, but I ended up just talking about myself… My apologies.

Perhaps it’s because I never had friends at school who I could talk to about shogi… I hope this won’t discourage you from spending time with me. Really I would be delighted to do this again.

I give up… There are too many places I’d like to visit. I cannot narrow it down to one.

If you have the chance, perhaps we can explore more of the city next time. Well, I’m afraid I must go. I’ll see you at the church.

Anon; I can’t read English ;_;

Early Morning

Anon: It’s just like Akechi said!
Anon: can the thieves win?
Anon: When are they gonna react?
Anon: they’re both poo poo.

I heard stocks are down. Is that because of Medjed?
I really wish they wouldn’t do this…
I heard some other company’s private data got leaked…
What are the Phantom Thieves doing!?

Early Morning → Daytime

Music: Tokyo Emergency

I can’t keep up with this constant influx of posts.

Too many posts!

Isn’t it tough being popular, #Millennials? Anyway, here’s the latest lead I have. This one seems to be about… someone abusing their power? I wonder if it was written by a former employee of the company in question.

You can’t seriously just be accepting of that!

Dude, it was sarcasm. Christ.

Now, I know the name of the company, but I don’t have any details on the person himself. The company’s over in Shinjuku, so try asking around places where business men could hang out. A bar at night might be a start. That should be a good place to get more info on this situation. I hope this isn’t asking too much of you… Sorry, I’ll look for another one, just in case.

Oh, ye of little faith…

We’ll need to work at Crossroads to unlock that request. We haven’t done that yet, though.

“#Millennials.” They’ve been in the spotlight with their upcoming showdown with Medjed. The Phantom Thieves are a hot topic—they are among the most commonly searched terms online…
People really like us. We can’t afford to mess this up now.

We have five pieces of dirty clothing to sell.

I buy an Awake Incense as well.

Now it’s billiards time, for real.

Nice! That was a perfect jump shot!
Wow! You’re a pro!

Looks like your challenge brought everyone together.

Glad to see everyone had fun. I gotta say though… Thanks to playing billiards, I think you’ve learned more about making bold decisions when the time calls for it!

Maaku gains Guts +2.

Oh god, this guy is just talking to us again.

It looks like you’re trying to learn technical shot.

Human Clippy is at it again.

Let’s see… I think you’d be able to pull off a really advanced shot. It’s called a “massé shot.” It allows a ball to make a sharp… Oops. I suppose there isn’t much point to me explaining it now. Let me give you this book. I think it will be quite useful to you.

Yeah, let’s read that once we get our Proficiency maxed out.

See you!

Daytime → Evening

Home, sweet home.

Ah, what about the beach? I could buy a new swimsuit!
(Young Male Customer) There’s nothing to do at the beach, and it’s going to be hot. We should just go to the movies.

On the one hand, I hate the beach and love the movies, so that guy’s got a point. On the other hand, :sever:

Christ, Chihaya, stop rubbing it in. You don’t have to say that every time I come here.

Please take a seat.
I don’t think my bond with Chihaya will deepen just yet…

Okay, heeere we gooo…

Music: What’s Going On?

I’ll go along with her readings until she’s satisfied…

I feel like my bond with Chihaya will grow stronger soon…
Well then, see you.

I’ll bring over a DVD that’s perfect for this stinking hot summer. We can watch in your room, yeah? Oh, don’t worry about me if you got stuff to do. I can keep myself busy. That settles it. See ya tomorrow!
Ryuji’s coming over tomorrow, huh? It’s going to be noisy all day…

Rude.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Not as noisy as the peanut gallery at night, CAT.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

Sweet, a point with Kasumi. If it wasn’t clear, I went into work today to see if I could get that event, or at least one like it. We didn’t actually need that Kasumi point, though. A point with Chihaya would have been greatly appreciated, actually, considering that her last Confidant rank had zero opportunity to gain points, so she’s not ready to rank up. I have no idea if Chihaya can even show up here, though, so it’s moot. In fact, the more I think about it the more likely I find it that Confidants showing up here is on some sort of set rotation, so it’s entirely possible that this was always going to be Kasumi’s turn.

I have not researched this extensively, but I believe that only your schoolmates and Yusuke can show up during your shift at the konbini.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Looking forward to OP getting to the next boss--the most annoying fight in the entire game

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 98: 8/3-8/4: Local High Schooler Works Three Jobs

Anon: yeah yeah, it’s all a setup

Daytime

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain (Instrumental Version)

I’m talking about the sudden burst of posts we just got on the Phan-Site.

>Mishima, considering what we do, I don’t think an influx of posts is a sign of the people’s joy.
>Uh, allegedly.
>What we *allegedly* do.
(to self) Nailed it.
Oh, right. Yeah, I guess you have a point…

Anyway, let me tell you about the most interesting thing I’ve found so far. Indiscriminate acts of violence in Shibuya. Pretty scary, huh? I can’t find much more than that though… All of the posts mention rumors they heard in the underground mall in Shibuya, but nothing more. It’s not super reliable… It’d be good if we could find out more about those rumors, but my presence is limited to the web.

*begins to type “Never woulda guessed” but deletes it without posting*

You might want to try and learn more on your own if you’re interested.

Sounds like Ryuji’s here. Come on, let’s go downstairs.

So you’d be putting together bouquets? Sounds like a good chance to work on your Kindness. If you’re not doing anything else, you could go help her out. Up to you.

Oh hey, what a coincidence. On the day we get the assignment to investigate the underground mall for rumors about the assaults, we get a call from our workplace there we never actually visit asking us to come in. It’s also raining today, which limits our options a bit. We might have to take Hanasaki up on that.

We’re here in Jinbocho for Book Town, a veritable Mecca for any bookworm. Look at them all! It’s just books, books, books everywhere you look. I’m speechless!
(Pundit) With how everything’s digitized in this day and age, it’s nice to flip through an actual book.
(MC) Next, we’ll talk about the fishing pond in Ichigaya. In the middle of the city, you can actually enjoy some fishing. It’s quality quiet time for yourself.
(Pundit) Oh, I go there all the time. These days, I can’t catch a single thing, though. Hahaha…

I’m sure it’s to protect us from hacking, but communicating with clients like this is tough.
(Middle-Aged Office Worker) Whatever those Phantom Thieves are, people are making too big of a deal about them.

First up is this soccer one. Then we’ve got baseball here. Oh, and a track and field one! Good poo poo, man.
I may be able to improve my Charm if I watch DVDs with Ryuji… Furthermore, this may be a good chance to deepen my bond with him…
So if we’re not gonna be meetin’ up with the others, wanna watch?

Sorry, Ryuji.

Mkay, I’ll just chill here and drink some soda then. Don’t forget to tell the others if you wanna meet up.

If you’re gonna gather info during your part-time job, you should try doing it at the flower shop.

We will, in fact, be working at Rafflesia today.

Music: Everyday Days

Which flower will you pick first?

Okay, pick the second flower now.

On to the third and final flower.

Oh… and be careful on your way home. Things have been dangerous in this area lately.

Haven’t you heard? There have been quite a few assaults. Just the day before yesterday, a man was hospitalized after getting attacked by someone…

Hmm… It’s only a rumor, but I heard it was a famous thug from around here named Taizo Naguri. But… the police can’t handle the situation without any proof. Honestly, I’ve been worried too… I only take the main roads home, even if it takes a bit longer. Maybe the Phantom Thieves could do something about him since the police have their hands tied… …Oh, I almost forgot! Here’s your pay for today.

Maaku gains Kindness +3.

Took long enough to get that last Rank 4.

Well put! His name was Taizo Naguri… Let’s go to Mementos and take his distorted desires!

It bears repeating that this is an unsubstantiated rumor, so it’s very possible we’re changing the wrong dude’s heart here.

…Yeah, I know, game.

All right, we should head home.

Daytime → Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain-

Always be crosswording.

Music: Everyday Days

This crossword really hosed me up because I just couldn’t figure out what they wanted from me for this clue.

As it turns out, I simply was not thinking about what the *funniest* answer might have been.

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

We’re heading to Crossroads tonight.

Music: Crossroads

Ohya’s not in this evening, but…

We have a target we haven’t identified yet, right? Maybe you can gather some more info while you’re working?

Or could you be interested in working nights here?

We have another request we can only unlock by working here, so we should probably get on that.

You may not realize it, but you’ve got potential, young man. I can teach you the basics of how things are run here. Don’t worry, you won’t do anything illegal.

Aww…

Helping the diverse customers here may improve your Kindness…!
What do you say? Did you want to do some work for me today?

All right, go on and change.

“Change”? All Maaku did was put on an apron.

It’s your first time, so things might be a little scary, but just try to relax. It’s easy work. I’ll need you to help with some chores around the bar. Washing dishes, clearing tables, the like. I have to entertain the customers, so I can’t do those things myself. That’s why you’re here now! And there you have it. Explanation finito. Do you have any questions?

Ah… Are you interested? I can be your producer if that’s the case. …Haha, just kidding. I don’t want to break any adult entertainment laws, you know? What you’re wearing now is fine.

You’re underage, right? So please don’t touch any of the alcohol. No drinking it, of course, but that also means no serving it either. I’ll do that, don’t worry.

Let’s see… There’s just one of me, so sometimes I can’t pay attention to all of my customers. Would you be on the lookout for those times? I’m sure they’ll want to talk to you, too. They’re all great people, so don’t worry. I’m sure it’ll be a good experience for you. Well, I guess I’ll have you start immediately, then. It’s almost time for the customers to arrive, so good luck.

Thanks to the power of the spinoff dancing game, we can!

Moving on!

I would have loved to see you all dolled up.

Oh, I almost forgot to tell you… We get a lot more customers coming in every Sunday. I’m guessing that they’re trying to cope with the fact that they have to go back to work again… Anyways, just hinting that I’m going to need extra hands on Sundays. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

But I guess it’s not that easy. Let’s stop by here a few more times…

Maaku gains Kindness +2.

Two nights in a row with the late-night messages?

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

I’ll be on standby at the hideout. There’s a book I want to read, and the dorm’s so hot that I can’t stand it. How about joining me? Don’t worry if you already have plans. I’ll be stopping by either way. See you tomorrow.

Yes, that’s what he said, cat.

Oh well. I’m going to bed.

Anon: todos son malos

Daytime

>Mishima, you’ve sent me one of these three days in a row. You need to batch these up or something.
Sorry…

There have been some strange happenings in the back alley off Shibuya’s Central Street. Apparently people have been finding dead or hurt cats back there pretty frequently. It happens so often, people are starting to think someone might be abusing them.

(I should mention that you have the option to tell Mishima “It wasn’t me” here, which I shamefully neglected to pick because I’m dumb)

>For shame! The only person allowed to abuse cats is me, and only verbally!

Yeah. Only the scum of the earth would take their aggression out on weak, innocent animals. Anyway, there’s only so much info I’ve been able to get from the forum. If you’re worried about this, I think you’ll need to go investigate it yourself. Maybe some of the employees down on Central Street would know more details about it.

Sounds like Yusuke’s here. Come on, let’s go downstairs.

A: Take money from a lost wallet. B: Joyride, but return the car. So which one of these counts as larceny? You be the judge!

Saying “you be the judge” kind of implies that you, the viewer at home, are the one deciding whether or not it’s a crime, which is very funny to me.

(Game Show Host) The correct answer is… B! Saying you planned to return it just won’t fly in court!
(Lawyer) You consume gas and wear down the tires. Driving someone’s car without permission is larceny. Taking something that someone lost or dropped is theft by finding, a much lighter crime. Incidentally, the Phantom Thieves steal “hearts,” but unfortunately, that doesn’t count as larceny.

What’s unfortunate about it?

Oh, you got it right. Even if you return it later, it’s still stealing, isn’t it?
It feels like I’ve improved my Knowledge.

Oh, and I brought an art book I would like to read with you…
I may be able to improve my Charm if I read a book with Yusuke…

For some reason, all these Leblanc activities where the Phantom Thieves will show up to hang out have been Charm boosters so far. My theory is that the devs realized that the Rank 5 Charm gate in Makoto’s Confidant is really egregious, so they put in a lot of opportunities here to rank up quickly. I base this, of course, on absolutely nothing. I did end up checking the original LP to compare and not all of these events were in the vanilla game. However, the Ryuji sports DVD event was in the game, and it did still boost Charm. I have no idea what this means.

If we are not planning to infiltrate today, why don’t we search for ideas between the pages of this book?
>I think I’ll pass.
Very well. Be sure to contact the others if you wish to hold a meeting. Ah, and you needn’t mind me. I will simply be here gazing at the Sayuri in the meantime.

Uh, sure thing, buddy. Do whatever you want.

We might as well grab this new request too, so… time for more work! Very exciting update, this!

Music: TRIPLE SEVEN

You’re here again!?
Yeah, is that a problem?
No, it’s just that you’ve only shown up for work like… twice, ever. After you showed up earlier this week, I thought you’d disappear for months again…
Well, I’m here now.
Does that mean you’re going to show up more regularly?
No. In fact, this is probably the last time you’ll ever see me.

I saw a cat in the road a little while back… It was injured badly. When I got close, it got scared and ran off, dragging its leg… Anyway, I just overheard some college-aged people in our store talking… They said there was a college student living nearby who abuses animals to relieve his stress… And then I remembered that injured cat I saw. I’m thinking maybe he was the one who hurt that cat…

I know how you feel, but the police can’t do anything without any proof…

Wow, that’s the second time we’ve heard that in two days! The police sound loving useless!

I’ve been thinking about that cat ever since. It’s hard to keep smiling. You know… The police can’t do it, but do you think those Phantom Thieves could help?

Huh? Oh, yeah… I think the guy’s name is Kazuo Tsuboi

Y-Yeah. I guess you’re right. For some reason, I feel like the Phantom Thieves really would! Oh, I’m sorry. It’s almost the end of your shift, right? Good work!

Maaku gains Charm +2.

Yeah! We can’t allow this guy to abuse animals. And he’s doing it only for stress relief…

Would it be better if he had a good reason?

He’s exactly the type of man we should punish. There’s no way I’m just letting this go. Kazuo Tsuboi, was it? Let’s steal this creep’s desires before he can harm any more innocent animals!

Kind of impressed with Morgana’s tiny cat lungs if they’re allowing him to meow loud enough through that window that we can carry on a full conversation like this.

I know, game. Geez.

Say, Morgana, aren’t you kind of in that alley right now?
Yeah, and?
…And, you’re a cat?
Noted. Let’s get out of here, *now*.

Daytime → Evening

(Diligent Office Worker) You sure? It might go under if that happened.
Yeah. But then, we wouldn’t have to live like this anymore.
…I see. You have anywhere else to go after quitting?
Nah. If I did, I’d have quit already.

Let’s head to Jinbocho now that it’s unlocked.

Well then, let’s go in the store.

Our bookstore caters to experts, so the books here might be a tad difficult for most high schoolers. Well, I’ll sell you the easiest book that we’ve got. Go ahead and take your time with it.

Don’t patronize me, old man!

Our only option at the moment is Master Swordsman, which we’ll pick up. As in the original game, we can only buy books from this bookstore one at a time, and we can only buy a new book once we’ve read the previous in the chain. What I don’t understand is why we’re shopping at this bookstore in the first place, considering that there’s surely loads of other bookstores that’ll sell us loads of books in a place called motherfucking “Book Town.” Also, maybe this is some cultural context I’m missing, but storing all these books outside in the middle of summer in a famously humid and rainy country seems like a pretty bad idea!

Anyway, as before, there is a special ~reward~ of a final book once we’ve read the other three books this idiot will sell us. However, since Speed Reading has been moved to the school library, the final book is changed in Royal, which just makes sense, because Speed Reading was acquired much too late in vanilla to be at all useful. I won’t spoil what the new reward is, but it’s pretty decent.

Thank you. Come again…

I placed my shop on the street so I can see people walking by, but I’m about to melt…

Let’s spend time with Chihaya tonight. We’re still trying to unlock Affinity Reading, after all.

Well then, what would you like to do today…?

You’re here for the verification test, correct? Well… I’m closing up shop for today… However, could we discuss another matter?

Thank you very much… I’m closing up shop, so please hold on.

Fortune Rank 4: Part 83

You rube. You utter fool.
At least, the fortunes I read are still extremely accurate… But you’ve conclusively proven that fate can be changed, so I have to accept that.
Huh. Usually there’s a lot more drawn-out gnashing and wailing before I get a near-stranger to accept a major overhaul to their entire worldview. This was surprisingly quick, in comparison.
I always thought fate was just a law of nature, unyielding, uncontrollable, and impossible to defy. And yet, people like you exist, who can ignore those laws and impose their own will upon the world.
I don’t really like the way you just put that, “imposing my will upon the world.” Makes me sound like a fascist.

How can I become one of those people, Hamiru-san?

It’s a long and involved process, with many complicated steps. Step 1: give fewer fucks. Step 2: there is no step two.
Huh…!?
Okay, maybe that was too hard to grasp for a newcomer like yourself. I’ll put it in words you’re more likely to understand: You just gotta believe in yourself! …Ugh, gross, I hated the taste of those words.
Believe in myself, instead of my fortunes…? I’ve never thought about it like that before!
Not a surprise, you’re pretty basic.

It’s like a Rian Johnson movie…

There was nobody like you back in my hometown in the country, Hamiru-san. It was a small, traditional town deep in the mountains, populated almost entirely by older people…

Sounds, uh…
Peaceful? Quaint?
Those words are a lot kinder than anything I would have said, given what little you just told me.

During the winter, it’s practically inaccessible due to all the snow. That alone should tell you volumes. The youth there are forced to be strictly obedient to their elders as well. Not explicitly, of course…

You’re painting quite the picture. Unfortunately, that picture is Saturn Devouring His Son.

Oh, and there’s a small shrine in the center of the village. There, I…

…Actually, never mind. It doesn’t matter anymore. I’m here now.

It means nothing to me now!

It came from someone who dared to care about me, even though I’m just a monster with strange powers… That’s why I sell Holy Stones. I want to help those who suffer from inescapable fates similar to my own.

Uh-huh. And how exactly is anyone “helped” by getting sold a six-figure hunk of rock salt?
Well, it helps me, for one. And, uh, believing in their power is half the battle or whatever.
……
Okay, look, I really did believe they did *something* until you showed up. I wasn’t just scamming people for the sake of it. I was providing a legitimate service for a modest fee!
If you ever actually believed that you might honestly be an even bigger sucker than any of the people you fleeced.
I can’t believe you were actually able to change people’s fates without a Holy Stone… Everything I believed was false.

Is it truly possible to alter fate with nothing more than mere words, attitude, and passion?

Don’t forget guile!

*tosses away the Holy Stone*

If that’s the case, I won’t be needing this. I’m going to confront fate head-on, with my own strength. Although… the chairman would be really mad if he found out.

Uh, who?

O-Oh, don’t worry about that! Just forget about it… unless you want to suffer my curse, that is.

I think I’m already under a pharoah’s curse from some recent grave robbing I did, so I might be spoken for at the moment.

Anyway…! If fate can be changed… Maybe even mine can be corrected… right? It didn’t work for me before, but perhaps this time…

I’m sure that through hard work, grueling effort, and the willpower to become a marginally less vile combination of stupid-slash-evil than you currently are, you can do it.

R-Right! I look forward to our continued exchange! At least, until I can manage to change my fate…

You call it an “exchange,” but I’m not honestly getting that much out of this. I still have to pay you for readings.
No discounts.
*sigh*

Oh, and I’ll be sure to put some extra effort into my fortune telling for you!

This is just a flat-out lie, considering we get nothing from this Confidant Rank.

I can sense Chihaya’s intense motivation…

Thank you for today, Hamiru-san. Good night.

Thank you so much for today. To be honest, I’m still feeling a bit lost…

Talking to you helped me realize what I should really be doing!

Hamiru-san… I’ll be putting in a lot of work from now on. Even though I can’t even imagine changing my own fate… But I will figure out some way to make it happen. I hope I can count on you to help me through the process.

Arist fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 2, 2022

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Arist posted:

It bears repeating that this is an unsubstantiated rumor, so it’s very possible we’re changing the wrong dude’s heart here.

Luckily, people only show up in Mementos if they've done bad things and changing their heart is always an improvement, so there's no downside! It would be pretty funny if you found someone in mementos and said "I'm going to stop you from abusing cats" and they're like "what the gently caress are you talking about, I love cats, but I do spend my free time swatting people for the lulz". Would be a fun twist.

Arist posted:

Kind of impressed with Morgana’s tiny cat lungs if they’re allowing him to meow loud enough through that window that we can carry on a full conversation like this.

Sometimes it's easy to tell that someone has not lived with a talkative cat.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Qrr posted:

Sometimes it's easy to tell that someone has not lived with a talkative cat.

I want you to know, that just as I read this, my own cat let out a yowl like she took intense offense at the lack of petting she was receiving. Actually made me jump a little.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Drakenel posted:

I want you to know, that just as I read this, my own cat let out a yowl like she took intense offense at the lack of petting she was receiving. Actually made me jump a little.

Given the stray cats I have come across, I am sure they could hold a full conversation across a city block.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 99: 8/5-8/6: Jesus Wept

Anon: Medjed must be bored

Daytime

(Elderly Male Customer) No way. You don’t want to walk outside in this heat.
Yeah, it is hotter than usual. It feels like it’s boiling inside my head sometimes.

Music: Tokyo Daylight

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH
…! Are you all right…?
No, but please continue.

Looks like we’re hanging out with Makoto today, despite the Rank 5 Charm gate looming. This is the rank before that gate, though, so we’re fine for now.

I have a small favor to ask you… Let’s get a drink before we talk. Oh, and we can take the back entrance into the school.

Priestess Rank 5: Part 70

I guess he, um… hit on her one day after her shift, and that was that.

That’s… uh… sorry, how old is this guy? Is this some wacky shoujo scenario where the host is himself a high schooler?
So you agree he’s suspicious.
“Suspicious” wasn’t quite the word I was thinking of, actually, because we’ve already crossed the threshold into “predatory.”

For now it seems he hasn’t forced her to spend any money at his club, but I’m still nervous… Beyond that, he calls her his “princess” and constantly tells her how special she is. It makes me sick to my stomach.

Because it’s suspicious or because it’s *nauseating*?
Both, kind of. The problem is that Eiko won’t listen to me. She thinks I’m holding some outdated bias against hosts.
Did you tell her that biases against pedophiles are still very much in vogue right now?

She even said she was shocked to be getting advice from someone who would “totally flunk a test about love.”

That’s not even a real thing!
That’s what I said! And I’d pass that test, anyway!
Eh, debatable.
I know I’m probably just being biased against him here. I don’t have any actual proof he’s untrustworthy, after all…
Aside from the “dating a high schooler thing,” I guess.
I want to meet him. And I want you to come with me.
Buh?
I’ll need you to pretend to be my boyfriend.
I’m on it.
Hm. Given our usual back-and-forth, I was expecting to have to convince you.
Nah. This seems like a great opportunity to gain more material to make fun of you.
…Oh, fine. I just need a “boyfriend” to make Eiko listen to me about “love.”

To tell you the truth… I actually already made plans with her and her boyfriend for a double date.

What were you going to do if I had said no?
Beg and plead, mostly. But thank you for accepting anyway.

I can sense Makoto’s trust in me…

Eiko… I hope she’s not getting herself wrapped up in anything dangerous. But just in case, I’ll try looking for some info on that host. Well, see you later.

Do you think Eiko’s really okay? I hope I’m just being paranoid about her boyfriend… But if it turns out he really is toying with Eiko… what should we do…?

You of all people need to be careful about that! You’re under probation!

That option gives no points, but thankfully we already have enough to get to the next rank, because I had to pick this.

Let’s see who this host is behind his smile. For Eiko’s sake. Okay, I’ll call you again later.

Daytime → Evening

Anon: this’ll blow up
Anon: Medjed… this’ll be epic
Anon: poo poo + poo poo = poo poo sandwich
Anon: im staying out of this poo poo
Anon: Medjed must be bored

What is Medjed doing?
It’s hard to tell when they aren’t making any moves…
The Phantom Thieves have kept their silence too…
Is our country gonna be done for when the deadline comes?

It’s not Medjed, right?

>It’s not. Now shut up about it. *turns phone on silent and ignores rest of conversation*

(Host) It’s actually been quietly becoming a boom! Why don’t YOU try revisiting your childhood?
(Male Commentator) That really takes me back. I used to play in secret so my parents wouldn’t find out. A lot of people find old game consoles at secondhand shops and buy them out of nostalgia.

Music: Crossroads

I don’t really mind it, but keep yourself in check, okay?
We have a target we haven’t identified yet, right? Maybe you can gather some more info while you’re working?

Time to ignore Ohya, as god intended.

We’re going to do more work to find out the name for this request.

All right, go on and change.
Well, aren’t you a hard worker? I guess it’s about time for me to be heading out anyway.

Did someone say something?

It’s almost time for the customers to arrive, so good luck.

Oh, my… You look quite exhausted. Here, have a seat.

…Well? So your boss has been bullying you again?
As soon as I talk back, he makes sure I know I’m lower than him. He insinuates he’ll demote me… After that, I’ll overhear him talking about me, calling me useless while I’m at work… And everything I’ve done, all the results I’m getting… Somehow, he’s taking all the credit.
That is the worst kind of workplace abuse. I cannot believe that man…
So many people have quit because of stress. And yet, the higher-ups all ignore it.

*sigh* Hey, Lala. I wish those Phantom Thieves could do something and help me with this…
Like how? Are you going to ask them to steal all your stress away?
Hahaha… No. I guess it’s impossible. But it’s nice to think about…
Hey, did you hear that? Isn’t that the same guy Mishima mentioned before?

No… We can’t steal stress, but we might be able to steal what’s causing his stress.

Why is there a cat in that bag?
It’s his emotional support animal… I think.

All right, you should be going home. You’re still underage, and Shinjuku is dangerous at night.

Maaku gains Kindness +2.

We should go home. I’m getting sleepy…

>No.

I’m worried about what’s going to happen and can’t fall asleep. But, all we can do right now is pray and wait…

>kldsfijwrgjdfbkc
>Please stop saying that.

Oh, I know. Wanna go pray at a shrine together? How about Meiji Shrine? If we’re gonna go, we should go big.

Putting it off, huh? Don’t forget to respond later, okay?

I will not.

Anon: medjed is dangerous……

Early Morning

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

I’m eating now. Maybe I should respond later…

I guess we can respond once the dishes are done. And make sure you thank the chief for breakfast, okay?

Early Morning → Daytime

It seems that the world will be affected by all this… Don’t you think so too?

Perhaps this is just the tip of the iceberg. Though, there’s no need to be pessimistic. At any rate, they’ve made a strong impression on the hearts of the people. If this were a film, the Phantom Thieves got the opening sequence right. Let’s see what’s next.

We conducted a survey about the upcoming showdown between the Phantom Thieves and Medjed. 80% of respondents said they were interested, which indicates that it’s getting a lot of attention.
Everyone’s got their eyes on us! We have to take action soon.

(Radio Announcer) Corporations are desperately scrambling to prepare for Medjed’s attack. Companies specializing in internet security are being overwhelmed with questions, and…
Panicking now, after all this time? Well, that’s what they get for depending on machines so much.

Now you can play our Advanced Course. It’s about to get busy this summer…

OH MY GOD, YOU GUYS. loving CHILL. CHRIST.

Meanwhile, I am here to observe the public in an attempt to refresh my mind. Do you need something?

Let’s get Yusuke to duplicate Marakukaja.

I will spend the rest of today working on it. Come back tomorrow or later to retrieve it.

Hah… You must have a wealth of free time if that is your decision.

Would you mind joining me again?

I believe I will find what I’m looking for at the church. Let us head over there.

Emperor Rank 5: Part 81

I’m glad you got something out of it, Yusuke, but in what way was that useful? You know what, never mind. I’m more than happy to just wipe that incident from my data banks.
I tried once again to paint after that, but nothing I created was to my satisfaction… So, today I have come in pursuit of a new theme: anguish!

Music: My Homie

I shall paint the anguish Christ felt as he bore the sins of mankind!

Ah, christ…
Exactly!

Hm, I have seen various sculptures and paintings on the matter, but merely replicating them will not do. Would any believers be willing to model and help me capture the true essence of anguish?

Go nuts. I’m sure none of them would be bothered by some random weirdo walking up and asking them to blaspheme.
You may have a point… Very well. You will have to model for me.
Should have seen that coming.

I’m probably not the best person to do this, honestly.
Do you have some religious objection to this?
The opposite, actually. I’m one of those cornball “putting the Bible in the Fiction section” atheists. Oh, whatever. How’s this?

Hm, I see… So this would be… No, perhaps…

No, I don’t think this is working. You need more vigor! Like so!

Hrm, this position… So this is the Passion of the Christ! Forsaken by his disciples, abhorred as a criminal by the public, pierced with nails and hung on the cross…

I understand now… this is the anguish of the Passion I’ve been seeking!

This is an art study…

I’m not really sure what that has to do with art…

I am attempting to paint anguish, so I decided to use the crucifixion of Christ as a point of reference…
So you’re interested in the anguish of the crucifixion?

I’m sorry, young man, but unfortunately you’ve got it backwards. The crucifixion is a symbol of deep suffering, yes… but more than that, it represents resurrection and forgiveness.

Resurrection? Forgiveness? I’m not sure I understand… Those ideas are contradictory to my conception of anguish…
It may be difficult to grasp what I’m saying right now… But try to consider that the anguish one may feel today will someday bring forth new hope.

Now, if you don’t mind, please stop causing a ruckus in here. Jesus may forgive you for your transgressions… but I sure as gently caress won’t.

So those shocking depictions were actually meant to represent forgiveness, not pain…

To be fair, I also had the wrong idea there. Getting a nail through the hand seems pretty painful to me! I was watching an Ingmar Bergman film recently with that image in like the first few minutes and I had to stop watching. What was that movie called, again…?

Hm, hope from anguish… …I’m not sure I understand. I must learn more about the hearts of men… Maaku, do you think I will be able to capture the truth someday?

Huh? Oh, yeah, sure, whatever.

…Indeed. If I do not have belief in my own abilities, I will never come to accomplish anything. Hm… This is exceedingly strange though. Spending time with you has helped me discover new aspects of myself… You are perhaps… a mirror of sorts.

I’ll take that as a compliment, even though I really shouldn’t.

If there is anythign I can do in return, please let me know… I wish to repay your kindness.
I feel like my bond with Yusuke is growing deeper…

Now Yusuke doesn’t even need a copy of the card as long as he’s duplicated it before. Neat!

I bid you farewell.

Farewell.

Wonderful.

*racks shotgun*

Goodbye, Maaku.

The crucifixion supposedly represents resurrection, forgiveness, and hope… but I could not grasp those connections. …Once again, I made the same mistake of picking up on only the superficial meaning. The more I think about it… the further I seem to be from understanding the abyss of the heart.

Thank you, Maaku. Perhaps what I need is a change of perspective. I still have a tough road ahead, but talking to you gave me some relief. I’m truly fortunate to have you by my side. I’ll see you later.

Daytime → Evening

Music: Layer Cake

We’ll be spending time with Iwai tonight.

It’s ‘cause we sell merchandise that can’t take the heat. If it’s too cold for ya, layer up. So, whaddya want today?

There’s a job I need you to do. Don’t worry, it ain’t that difficult. I’m sure you can handle it.

I’m gonna meet with a guy at the diner after this. I need you to sit close-by. When I give you the signal, call me. The signal is when I cough, got it? C’mon, let’s head over there.

Hanged Man Rank 2: Part 87

You’ve really changed, Mune-san.
Hey, don’t knock this place. It’s pretty decent, and cheap too.
Ha, this comin’ from the guy who beat the crap outta fifty rival gang members!

I keep tellin’ you, that was a videogame.

Anyways, what’d you wanna talk about?
Oh, right. How’s Tsuda-san doin’?
Same as always. Why, what’s up?
Oh, nothing. Just saw him ‘round the other day.

That’s weird, considerin’ you cut ties with him when you left the family. Why’re you askin’ now?
It was so long ago… it’s about time we bury the hatchet, y’know? But I can’t just go up to him…

Ohhh, I getcha. You’re still tryin’ to uphold the ol’ code of honor, huh? OK, I’ll tell him you wanna meet up!
No, you fool. I just wanna end up in the same place at the same time. It’s gotta look like a coincidence.
In that case, Shibaura might work… Y’know we’re talkin’ about redevelopin’ it.
Shibaura…

That’s probably the signal, but I’m now realizing the scale of what I have involved myself with and the potential for personal risk, so I’m going to wuss out.

*cough* *cough*

Yep, this is the smart move.

*cough* *cough* *cough* *cough*

Wait… I just realized that I’m also afraid of Iwai. This changes things…
*cough*doitrightnowkidorI’llgutyoulikeatrout*cough*
Fine, calling him.

Side note: they changed the dialogue options for the second iteration of Iwai coughing from “That’s probably the signal.” and “Iwai seems… really sick.” to “Maybe I should call him.” and “Iwai seems sick.”, both of which are identical to the first iteration, which sucks, imo. The old version was much funnier.

I got a bad case of the *inflammatory adolescentitis*.
Oh, yeah. Think I caught that last year, knocked me on my rear end. Wait… you’re not contagious, are you?

What? Your order’s all wrong? My bad, I’ll get back and take care of that straight away.

Iwai is acting far too cordial to make this act believable…

(to Thuggish Man) Sorry, I gotta run. Work poo poo. Let’s talk some other time, yeah?
Mm, seeya.

Masa’s still on the phone, right? Just stay quiet so I can hear what he’s sayin’.

I’m not looking at anything. In fact, I’m legally blind.
And it’ll stay that way if you don’t turn your dome around!
On it.

(talking on phone) Nah, it’s nothin’. Just some weird kid starin’ at me… Anyways, Iwai prolly heard about that deal of yours and now he’s tryin’ to squeeze some cash outta you… O-Oh, sorry! No, it’s… Yes. Sorry… Yes. I understand. *hangs up and leaves*

…Sounds like there’s some weird stuff goin’ down.

Good news, kid: you’ve been of enough use to me here that I won’t make you cut off your pinky for loving with me back there. This is your one and only chance.

I feel like my bond with Iwai is growing deeper…

Oh, and bring me the receipt later. I’m not gonna pay for your meal, I just want to see how much I tricked you into spending tonight.

Well, later.
I feel like helping Iwai with his work has honed my Proficiency

Maaku gains Proficiency +2.

Arist fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 13, 2023

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

See, I appreciate when these games let you roll with the goofiness in other characters. Reminds me of Devil Survivor 2 where you can often just fixate on random things in the conversation, earning the amusement of the more easygoing characters.

Yusuke would be a lot more fun if the writing chops were a little smarter. I'll take causing scenes in random places for now though. (And being able to egg him on.)

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I shall beat this slump into submission!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 100: Self-Reflection

Merry Christmas, everyone! My present to you all, as always, is a new update of this monstrosity of an LP!

But, oh, this is a bit awkward… I had to recycle it. Not quite a regift, but the same spirit, if you will. Sorry, but I just didn’t have the time or energy or currency to go pick out a new new update, so I’m just going to use something I’ve had lying around in the attic for a while. Hope you don’t mind!

Ah, the familiar, fetid stench of Baby’s First LP (not counting that aborted Xillia project that died pretty quickly).

I know Stockholm Syndrome is a fake thing that a police psychiatrist made up to make women seem hysterical for criticizing the cops (that’s not a joke, look that up), but rereading these first few paragraphs, I feel maybe there’s something to it. Maybe it only happens to absolute morons in the pettiest possible scenarios.

Before we move on here, let’s examine a few of these paragraphs. First off, legitimately proud of the “What is this game?” paragraph there, but I’m not going to give 2017 me credit for it because I edited that poo poo in later. Second, very funny that I couldn’t stick to a guide at all, but that’s just my ADHD brain, probably. We did, in fact, go off track from the guide in about May or June. Third, also funny that I felt the need to add a loving disclaimer about my stupid goddamn digressions. I’m such an idiot, lmao.

Also, reminder from those sirens that I’m the guy who was LPing this game within two weeks of its release.

Well, let’s just jump right into the first update, shall we?

Oof, those reds. Two passes of JPEG compression have not been kind to this image.

Can’t believe you sold out this early, Arist. For shame, selling that free Soma for 50k to gain a leg up. Tsk tsk.

Good lord. Why would you go with 60x60 portraits and 800x450 screenshots? They’re too small, idiot! The maximum is 900 pixels wide, go with that for your main shots!

Really should have shown off what happens when you pick “no” here, because it’s funny. Insert that one bizarre post about someone refusing to play the game because they refused to agree to this. Short LP, though.

Really not a fan of all these descriptions I used here. Still not quite over that habit, but I feel like a lot of the ones I use here are unnecessary and conveyed perfectly well by the screenshots.

Like, yeah, sure, maybe keep in this description, but only because it’s kind of hard to tell Joker’s in these shots if you’re not looking for him in the darkness. It’s easy to just scroll past and miss it.

Bad caption here. I think I just had no idea what else to put there. Worse excuse.

Everyone noticed the double screenshot instead of text to avoid showing Akechi’s portrait here, they were just too polite to say anything. You’re not sly.

If you’re gonna say he “jumps across the lights stylishly,” you should probably have a shot of him actually, you know… jumping.

You should probably have cropped out the top of the feather in Noir’s portrait there. It makes her head shape look real weird and tiny since you’re cropping it to the same size as all the others.

I know this really only bothers me, but stop taking screenshots while characters are blinking, if you can help it. Also, you maybe should have gif-ed the transformation of the guards, since it’s too brief to capture with a screenshot (and you knew it was too quick, which is why you didn’t even try).

Another candidate for a gif might have been this leap, which there’s no way to capture well in a screenshot.

I seem to have neglected to capture the next line of mine here, which is “…ripping it clean off.” I guess this is the part I’ll make fun of myself for in the double-meta update of the next P5 LP I’m absolutely never doing.

That’s not very nice, past me.

That’s all you got to say, man? “Pretty rad”? People loving cosplay these menus. Put some more effort into your summaries!

Probably should have tried to get a better shot of the “shadowed figure.” All you can see are the wings and top hat here.

Decent attempt at capturing the backflip, at least. I’ll give partial credit.

One thing that really annoys me is the constant issues with portrait spacing littered throughout this first update. Why are there gaps there!? I think I just didn’t fully crop the top off this first batch of obscured portraits, but there’s still like a full line break worth of gap here, so I clearly just hit Enter one too many times between the portraits of Oracle and Skull here.

This isn’t a “problem,” per se, but it’s funny to me how I used that doofy portrait of one of the agents from one of the cutscenes whenever any of them speak.

You can’t see Joker in this shot from where he’s hiding. I’m not sure if I could have done anything about that because he’s perfectly enshrouded in darkness, but it’s not a great reading experience.

Never liked the way this looks, but it’s not like there’s a good still frame of this leap I could have used.

Still can’t see him! I should have tried to like, outline Joker here or something, but that would have been a lot of work for something I probably threw together in an evening.

I was pretty insecure in these days about my level of commentary. I mean, I’m still insecure about that, but I can cope with it. Here, I’m just writing poo poo to have written stuff. Yeah, we can tell they’re not playing around. Say something less obvious next time, why don’t you?

For these “obscured” portraits, I actually just used the default portraits turned down to like 10% Lightness in a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer. I would later realize there are special portraits used for this sequence that have nifty shading applied to them, but those sprites weren’t ripped when I started doing this (probably at least partially because they don’t show the portraits next to the dialogue boxes here until Royal. They’re only for cut-ins in vanilla).

Also, I think I skipped an Akechi line here (again) so I didn’t have to show his portrait. I cared way too much about “spoilers” here, heh.

“CHEESE IT, IT’S THE FUZZ” is not particularly funny. 3/10 quip, at best. I think I just kind of wanted to say it, if that makes sense.

“Friendly Mr. SWAT” is probably the best line in this whole update, which… not saying much!

Legitimately kind of dumbfounded I had nothing at all to say about this dude’s dead fish eyes. They haunt me to this day.

Also, great onomatopoeia there, Arist. *KICK*! Just… great stuff.

Actually, never mind about Mr. SWAT being the best line in this update. “Please stop kicking me, kind sir” still does it for me.

Given my frenetic update pace back in these days, I sure hope I was enjoying it!

See, these are the moments I’d like you to have something interesting to say besides narration, past me. I didn’t get the hang of that for a while.

As we all know, you went with Mark Hamill, star of stage and screen. And that’s going to do it for this… whatever the gently caress this was. I’m going to give myself a C- for the actual quality of this first update of Persona 5. Not great, but there’s room to improve. As for this update of Persona 5 Royal, I’m going to give myself an F, because I knew this weird therapeutic experiment that doesn’t progress this waking nightmare of an LP in any capacity was bad while I was writing it and I still finished it.

The end! No moral.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sorry for whatever the gently caress this last update was, I just wanted to have something to put out today, and it's the 100th update so I went weird with it.

Also, if you say "the first update of the original LP was good, actually" I'll whack you in the shins with a wiffle bat, I absolutely did not do this to fish for compliments.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

I do think you're a bit harsh on Past Arist, but the portrait thing is a fair call :v:

I didn't realise you had ADHD (or did I just forget...?), so now I feel like even I could finish a LP someday! If I ever get around to starting one. I keep saying I'll do one, and then people keep conveniently doing the games I want to see LPed.

Oh, and Merry Christmas, ya filthy animal.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
Merry Christmas, Arist! And looking forward to seeing what you do for this thread for Christmas 2023 ... and 2024 ... and <breaks down in maniacal laughter>

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".
oh god i remember seeing the thread in christmas 2017, you're still loving GOING!?
my condolences and merry christmas
bit late though but "Let's get that fuckin' bread" is a great battle cry i'm folding that into my static ASAP

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

MetaMeme posted:

oh god i remember seeing the thread in christmas 2017, you're still loving GOING!?
Oh no, you misunderstand completely. This is much worse than that.

Poor crazy bastard actually finished and then immediately came back to do it again for the remake.

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".

Stroth posted:

Oh no, you misunderstand completely. This is much worse than that.

Poor crazy bastard actually finished and then immediately came back to do it again for the remake.

oh dear

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

He also did a Disco Elysium and 13 Sentinels LPs in the meanwhile.
E: that I know of

Arist, don't worry about blinks. In the Megaman Battle Network LPs, the blinking animation was the co-commentator sent by God Himself.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

There were a few points during the LP in which the new content was sporadic enough I had mentally classified this as a spoof of the original P5 LP, and was reading it mostly for the commentary and general... Aristness of it all.

Which is to say, I'm not entirely sure what the purpose of this experiment was, but it's entirely on brand for the thread. I hope it did its job from your end and provided some insight.

Even if the insight is "I wasted an afternoon on some dumb bullshit experiment and all I learned is that the idea was bad". That's a learning experience, right. :v:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The simple, obvious answer to why I do anything I do in this LP is "I thought it would be a funny practical joke to play on myself."

NVTrainee
Jan 3, 2020
Even if you're doing this type of update once, I always like when someone looks at their past LPs and give commentary on what they would do differently or not.

Loving the LP so far, Arist.

ScarlettP
Oct 2, 2021
Please stop whacking me in the shins, kind sir.

i actually liked the first update of the original LP i'm sorry

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 101: 8/7-8/8: It’s Yoshida’s Party And He’ll Make Me Cry If He Wants To

Anon: shady poo poo aint justice

Early Morning

Anon: yo, where the police
Anon: What cheapass justice, lol
Anon: Fight for justice!
Anon: this’ll blow up

I heard they were buying tainted ingredients. They’re done for.
Another leak? What are they doing?
Did the Phantom Thieves do it?
It was really boring this time though…

Early Morning → Daytime

(Male Host) Here’s what we’ve got for you today! Here we have the Phantom Thief Set! With this, you too can be a phantom thief and steal some hearts! 5 Lockpick, 3 Vanish Ball, and… 3 Smokescreen! An all in one deal! But wait! There’s more! Next up, we have the Heroic Set! Now you can be a hero, too! 4 Vacuum Cutter, 4 Psy-Wheel, and… 4 Nuke Cracker! In one set! What a steal!

As useful as another five Lockpicks sounds, we’re going to go for the item set, mainly because there’s an upcoming boss fight where we’ll really want to hit certain weaknesses with whoever we can.

Disgusting vegetable potion time. Maaku gains Charm +1.

When we talk to Yusuke, he delivers our Marakukaja card.

Then, we talk to him again to get another card made.

This time, we’ll utilize his new ability to create a card he’s already duplicated from scratch instead of using one we already have. We pick Marakukaja again, always a useful skill.

And this time, we’ll talk to him to hang out. Sorry we keep re-initiating conversation, buddy.

You know, I would not have expected my slump to be so stubborn… I will have to take some extreme measures. Please, Maaku. I will need your help again. Could you join me?

I owe you one. It seems the answer may have been right under my nose the whole time. You will see soon enough. Follow me.

Emperor Rank 6: Part 88 (intro is Part 82)

Yeah, it’s a shame. I was kind of hoping they’d have torn this shitheap down and built a Dave and Buster’s by now. Uh, no offense.
I came back because of my slump. There’s so much I still don’t understand about the heart… but perhaps I can reevaluate myself within the place I spent my formative years. I hope to rekindle my passion for art, the passion of an inquiring mind on the hunt for pure beauty… which I lost upon learning of Madarame’s true nature.

DOOR STUCK! DOOR STUCK!

Hm? It won’t open. No… I surely left it unlocked.

Sounds like you’ve got squatters. Better give up, it’s their house now.
No… I believe the door has jammed.

Hm… I suppose it was quite an old door to begin with. It had begun to rust even while I was a pupil here. It seems now it has finally broken.

If you really want this bad boy open, stand back. I need a running start.
Please don’t break anything.
Fiiiiine. I’ve got another way. I’m pretty good with my hands, I’ll have you know.
Yes, I’ve heard that about you.
Why, thank you!

I think I’ll be able to fix the door with my current Proficiency

Hell yeah, let’s do a little light B&E.

Weird that they seem to have also taken all of your things. Including, like, your bed. That’s the cops for you, though!
I know it was just a few months ago, but the time when I lived here feels like the distant past…So many memories of this room. I remember hiding and reading manga in the corner during breaks from my work, and meeting here to eat meals with the other pupils. Sensei has always been fond of salty foods…

Music: Alleycat

Sensei…? What am I saying? Why do I still treat him as my mentor? How long will I allow him to control my life…?

Hey, buddy, you doing all right?
Sorry… I did once enjoy painting in this room, purely for its own sake. But back then, I could not see the ugliness of the world, only the thin veneer of beauty on top. Learning the truth of Madarame changed that, however.

I strove to fight back against the newfound ugliness I saw… To display my talent to those who mocked me… I needed to do whatever it took to validate my artistic ability… In that search for meaning, darkness took hold of me. ...Ultimately, I began to emulate that which I had so deeply despised in Madarame.

I’m pretty sure the thing that was bad about Madarame wasn’t that he sought external validation. I mean, that’s the root of the problem, but it’s not an issue in and of itself. You’re just in a depressive spiral right now, man. Relax.
When I stayed with you that one night at Leblanc, Boss told me something interesting. He said he didn’t believe Madarame took me in only for my painting skills. Which makes sense, I suppose. There was no way to know if I would have been talented at that age. …Maaku, why do you think Madarame did that?
Ugh… This is gonna sound really corny, and I half don’t believe it myself, but maybe he just gave a poo poo?
Gave… a poo poo?
Yeah, you know, like… he saw something in you? Or, he couldn’t leave you alone? Even though he basically murdered your mother? Uh… Yeah. Something like that. You get it.
Not really, no… But, even after learning of the monster he was, part of me still believes in him.

I simply cannot come to terms with the stark dualities presented to me… The humble house and that loathsome Palace… The kind teacher and the fiendishly deceptive artist… It seems even the workings of my own heart are inexplicable… What, then of my search for pure beauty?

Huh!? Are we going to be arrested for trespassing?
Stand your ground, Yusuke! We’re the squatters now!

What a crazy random happenstance!

(Old Gentleman) Indeed. Thank you for your conversation back there.

It wasn’t much of a conversation. You insulted my work, and then I threw a fit…

More importantly though, why are you here? I couldn’t help but notice the door was open on my way home from work. Are you perhaps still caught in your slump?
How do you know about that?

You said it very loudly back at the exhibition. But I know much else about you, Yusuke. You’ve made something of a name for yourself in patterning your work after the “Sayuri,” but the painting you showed at the exhibition was quite different. Have you been experimenting with new styles?

……
If you’d like, I can advise you. Materials, themes, et cetera. You seem as though you could use a helping hand right now.
I…
Most of your painting was done while living in this residence, correct? Your current lack of patron must be what is holding you back. Please, take my card. I’ve made a living investing in promising young artists like yourself, Yusuke-kun.

But… why have you chosen me? You criticized me so harshly back at the exhibition.

Oh, that? I can tell you’ve got talent. You’re a diamond, just waiting to be polished. My foundation can give you a productive environment that will allow you to develop your skills. If you’re interested, we can talk further at a later date. I have business I must attend to now, but I hope to hear from you soon.

My opportunity may have finally arrived… And it was all because you opened that door for me…

Yeah, but… it was a literal door, Yusuke. Not a metaphorical one. It’s not that impressive.

Hm, it seems good luck is simply a characteristic of yours. You have my thanks, Leader.

What can I say? The universe bends to accommodate me.

I feel like my bond with Yusuke is growing deeper…

…I must be going now. I’d like to think on this some more. Farewell.

The emotions I felt in that house still remain within me to this day. I do think it’s a good thing that I was able to realize all this. By the way, that gentleman… Kawanabe, was it? What’s your impression of him?

Whatever the gently caress that means.

And he was even able to instantly pinpoint my weakness. He certainly is no ordinary individual. As someone with neither a home nor a patron, I couldn’t ask for a better offer… On top of that, I may be able to find a way out of my slump once I can fully focus on drawing. In any case, this deserves serious thought. I may come to you for advice again.

Daytime → Evening

What’s this!? Lala has her own chat icon now!?

A drunken tornado…? Sounds pretty bad. But it does sound like it’ll be worth some cash. You wanna head to Shinjuku?

Sorry, but we’ll be ghosting Lala for the forseeable future now that we’ve gotten the information on that request. Well, “ghosting”, we might still need to go see Ohy—oh, no, we’re totally ghosting her, maybe forever.

All of them regain something important by reflecting on their past. By the way… You’ve come at a good time today. We are currently accepting small donations from people who wish to support our church and its work. If you donate, you will receive an item suitable for the amount of your donation.

As in the original game, we can “donate” to the church receive items in return on Sundays. It’s just a shop, there’s no actual donation. We’re going to buy one Exorcism Water (even though we already have one) for Sakai’s upcoming request. We haven’t actually gotten that request yet, but his kid wants it, so we already know.

While we’re here, though, this is pretty sketchy, right? Selling holy water for donations? That’s not just me? Also, there’s wine here. That seems… odd to sell to a teenager even if you’re saying it’s the blood of Christ or whatever.

(Tired Housewife) Yeah, but the government’s got to have some kind of countermeasure, right? I doubt it’ll be that big a deal.
I suppose you’re right. That’s why we pay our taxes…

Summer is the season for thrills, which means that ghost-related goods will sell like hotcakes.

Is that true? Summer is the season for ghost poo poo? I guess every high school anime ever has had a test of courage, so it tracks.

So in the spirit of the season, I want you to purchase some Exorcism Water. It has to be fresh and divine. I’m counting on you. If you get your hands on some, I’ll trade you for this Model Gun.

Wait, could that be… the Exorcism Water!? Are you ready to trade?

Thank you, and please take this Model Gun.

Ooh… How godly… So this is the Exorcism Water… With this, a precious life will be saved tonight. Thank you. I will count on you again next time.

If we go to the jazz club tonight, we can have a party member learn Matarunda. Ann already learns that on her own though, so we abstain.

It is imperative that we resolve this situation, and social reform must be led by the government. However, who can the people currently depend on…? Yes, the Phantom Thieves! The fact that they’re being lionized is proof that the government is malfunctioning! The mismanagement by authority figures is what has led us to this terrible condition…

Be sure to drink plenty of water and stay hydrated. You don’t want to get heat stroke… Come to think of it, I haven’t told you about what I aspire to do. I’m starting to uncover various behind-the-scenes situations. I want to tell you all about them. Would you be willing to listen?

Thank you. Let’s talk before the speech.

Sun Rank 10: Part 121

“I did not have financial relations with that party fund.”

Old Man Kuramoto will likely be forced to retire from the political world. The police can’t do anything because it was twenty years ago, but he has a moral obligation.

And as we all know, politicians are incredibly moral and always know when their time is over. Er, no offense.

I hear his grandson Benzo resigned from the party as well.

D-D-D-DOUBLE KILL!!! No, but for real, wow. Dude got chokeslammed out of politics so hard his grandson felt it. Literally!

It could be due to Matsushita’s influence, or perhaps it’s just the party’s way of atoning… Now it’s all up to me… and my abilities.

This dude pronounces “Toranosuke” with the emphasis on “ToRAnosuke” and it sounds awful.

To think that people would be excited to hear me speak…

You earned it, man. Enjoy.

The article mentioned I didn’t want the real culprit tobe named even though I knew who it was. Apparently, people admire me for having quietly accepted a false charge for twenty years.

Still don’t really understand that decision, but whatever.

I didn’t intend for any of this to happen though…

You’ve been absolved. They see the real you now.

I appreciate that someone like you, who’s been watching me so closely, would say such a thing.

In these ten conversations we’ve had, I have been exposed to the deepest inner workings of your psyche.

I’ve struggled for the past twenty years… but I can put that all behind me after the election. …Oh, look at the time. I should get started. Today will be the last day I’ll request help… from a phantom thief.

Well. gently caress.

At least he’s the only one who’s figured it out! It’d be real embarrassing if, say, everyone else we hang out with managed to solve that riddle!

Music: Sunset Bridge

I don’t intend to meddle. Everything I’ve told you has been based on assumptions, but if you’re still willing to listen… Then I think you should focus on your “work,” because the time is now. I can’t think of anything else to teach you. You are now an expert on giving speeches.

Finally. The student has become the master. I shall defeat all comers with my verbal jiu jitsu!

I taught you all I know about the art of public speaking, in return for you supporting a guy like me. And over time, you became someone who shared my beliefs.

Yeah! …Wait, what are those beliefs again?

Thanks to you, I was able to overcome my crisis these last few months… I will strive for the royal road of politics, thinking of you as you walk down your own path. But if you ever find yourself in harm’s way on your journey, I will be there to help you.

Perfect! We’ll fit you for a mask and get you all geared up! Oh, wait, you didn’t mean literally.

We’ll be comrades who reform the world… together.
I feel a strong bond with Yoshida…

Music: The Spirit

Hell yeah, Rank 10 Sun. Time to recruit all the Shadows we can.

Legitimately forgot that I get the ability to fuse a new Persona from maxing Confidants, it’s been so long.

Music: Sunset Bridge

Thank you for everything. All right, it’s time to begin!

And now this dude puts the emphasis in “Yoshida” on “Yo”! It sounds terrible!

(Young Woman’s Voice) I cut my date short so I could watch this, you know!

That’s weird!

I met a certain young man… Through a method that differs from mine, he was trying to reform the world. As you know, that is a very large mountain to cross. Unfortunately, I am unable to travel the same path as him.

Is it the young man standing right next to you?
…N-No.

…However, I will not say goodbye. Because we will surely meet at the peak. He is desperately doing what he aspires to do. So I encourage you all. Please find what it is that YOU aspire to do. And I will suppose you. Because that is what I aspire to do.

Really running with that theme, huh…

Way to go, Toranosuke!
I believe in you!
I feel like listening to Yoshida’s speech has served to increase my Charm…

Maaku gains Charm +3.

I’ll listen to Yoshida’s speech a little longer, then head home…

You’re heading home early!? But you’re a crucial part of the speech! You’re the Sign Guy!

Huh…? Who could that be at this hour?

Truth be told, I found something interesting. It’s a DVD that talks about paintings from around the world. Although I bought it, I don’t have a device to play it on. And even if I did have one, the cicadas are noisy at my dormitory. As such, I’d like to borrow your room. Don’t worry if you already have plans. I’ll be stopping by either way. I’ll go to your place tomorrow to hang out, if that’s all right.
Yusuke’s coming tomorrow, huh? Might be nice to hang out with him.

Anon: both are crossing the line

Daytime

The epic highs and lows of high school [BASEBALL].

In this first match, we have a team with only 13 members from a public school…

Wow, guess we know which team got high seeded…

(Elderly Male Customer) No way. You don’t want to walk outside in this heat.
Yeah, it is hotter than usual. It feels like it’s boiling inside my head sometimes.

I brought a wonderful art DVD that we can watch together.
I may be able to improve my Charm if I watch a movie with Yusuke…
If you do not plan on gathering the others, why don’t we discover the truth held within?

Sorry, Yusuke.

Very well. Be sure to contact the others if you wish to hold a meeting. Ah, and you needn’t mind me. I will simply be here gazing at the Sayuri in the meantime.

“I’ll just be here, staring at my mom.”

(Doting Father) Phew… You really had me worried there. You looked so unwell.
I felt really sick, but I was still happy. You were being really nice to me… And you came home early!

Awww…

Says tomorrow’s gonna be hotter. Like yesterday.

(Bespectacled Taxi Driver) I can’t sleep well at night, it leaves me so tired I can hardly stay awake while at work…
Now that you mention it, are those psychotic breakdowns or whatever still a thing happening to people?
I still come across articles about it, but most of the news these days is all about the Phantom Thieves.

(Middle-Aged Lady) That isn’t like you. Is it because of that thing going on between the Phantom Thieves and Medjed?
Yes! And I want something to happen! And then, Akechi-kun will be on TV to comment on it! He looks so good when he’s just talking!

(Shinsuke Kishi) Not anymore. Effective immediately, yours truly, Shinsuke Kishi, is running the show. Company gave me a big-rear end contract to take the reins from the likes of you incompetent paper pushers. And spare me the complaints, got it? Unless you’d like to be reassigned somewhere other than Tokyo?
…No. Sir.
Good! Let’s go inform the CEO!
Didn’t think we’d find a target in a place like this… Let’s give him a change of heart in Mementos as soon as we can.

We collect our Marakukaja Skill card from Yusuke, and get him to work on duplicating Growth 2 while he’s at it.

We’re going to spend time with Ann today, despite her continual grousing about lack of results.

Oh, um… I went to go see Shiho again the other day. I’ve been thinking a lot since then though… Do you have time to talk?

Thanks. Does the diner work for you?

As long as you’re paying, yes.

Lovers Rank 6: Part 43

And you know what she did? Laughed! She couldn’t stop talking about how tough she thought Mika sounded.

That seems rather out-of-character based on my few interactions with Shiho, but you know her better, I suppose.

Honestly though… it was kinda refreshing. I’m not even mad anymore. I guess you really just need someone to laugh at you if you want to feel better.

I guess that tracks. I do feel better when someone laughs at me, but it’s mostly because I’m now thinking of ways to make them suffer.
It’s funny though… even though I’m the one trying to strengthen my heart, Shiho’s the one who’s actually strong.

I went to one of her rehab sessions the other day… She said she wanted me to be there… So I agreed without thinking much of it, but it ended up being… pretty overwhelming.

I’m sure it was very hard for you.
That’s not what I meant… but it was, yes.
That wasn’t supposed to be a good th—you know what, whatever.

I almost couldn’t bear to watch her struggle like that. It was so tough for her… It was sweaty, desperate, and painful. She can’t even move her feet, and she said it feels like her legs are filled with sand… but she pushed through. Pushed through the tears, with her legs swollen with blood. She said she wanted to give up, and that she wanted me to come to motivate her. She kept complaining the whole time, in ways she never does normally… But she still finished her session despite it all.

I don’t know why I’m crying… I didn’t have to go through that… …Is it because I’m weak?

You can’t bear to see her in pain. That’s just empathy. Give it a try sometime.

You know, even through all that pain, I thought Shiho was so cool… beautiful, even.

Oh, I was wondering if I was picking up some vibes that you’re a little more than friends. Guess I wasn’t mistaken. Cool.

Despite all her complaining… she still tried incredibly hard. Strength is more than just not getting fazed… It’s the power to fight through adversity. So I was thinking, and um… what can I do to help Shiho?

Well, I’d start by not making her problems all about you. But also, you just need to be there. Be her rock.

…Yeah, I’ll do just that. I’m gonna give it my all…! You know Maaku, being with you really helps me see things clearly. What I should do, the true meaning of strength… Well… thank you for that.

No problem. True strength isn’t all that hard for a guy like me. Now, can you order for me while I hide in the bathroom? Last time I came here I spilled my drink on my crotch and the waitress made fun of me.

I sense a heightened motivation from Ann…

Ugh, my nose is all runny…

Gross.

Wh-What are you looking at me like that for? Pretty girls get runny noses too, you know! Well, see you around.

I feel better now that I got to talk to you about everything. I’m going to try my best to help Shiho out… in my own way. Maybe our relationship won’t ever be exactly the way it was before… But now that I saw her crying, I know I’ll find something I can do for her…!

Watch me. One day, I’ll be cool, and strong—just like Shiho!

Hope I can keep counting on you for that. Okay, byeee!

Daytime → Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain-

…Another box came for you.

Must be what you ordered off the TV.

Let’s do some crosswords.

I had a complete brainfart interpreting this clue about a “Griffin half” and I put down “LEGS”.

The answer was “LION,” of course. A griffin is half lion. Duh.

Stupid crossword! You made me look bad! Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

(on TV) I think for both Medjed and the Phantom Thieves, this kind of attention is the whole motive behind their crimes… Hence, all the thrilling spectacles to amaze people. I advise viewers not to be so enamored if possible.
He’s talking about us like we’re criminals too! He doesn’t have a grudge against us, does he?

For some reason there were two different programs on today. That doesn’t usually happen. And if it actually does usually happen, I’ve been missing a lot of them!

Star Rank 5: Part 85

My client’s a big shot in the Pro Shogi Players’ Association, so I worked really hard to set it up.

But…
Hm? Is this young man a fan of yours, Hifumi?
…No, Mother.

It’s true, I know nothing about shogi. Ask me anything, I can’t answer any of it!
I’ve been teaching you, though…
In one ear and out the other!

He’s my shogi friend… I told you about him, remember?
Your shogi friend, hm? Let me just say this. I hope you’re not harboring any weird feelings for Hifumi.
Mother…!

*nervous laugh* N-Nope! Everything’s strictly platonic! The cute lapsing into flights of fantasy doesn’t awaken a fire in me at all!
You know you’re not allowed to date young lady. I didn’t set up all those gravure shoots so you could blow it for the sake of something as infantile as teenage romance. Your male fans would be so disappointed if they found out.
Oh! This is gross!

…Yes, Mother.
You can get fifty guys like him once you’re famous. I need you to accomplish the things I was never able to.

Wow, she’s just… coming right out and saying that, huh? Not even her Shadow! This game is not subtle.

I’m going to work now. I have a very busy evening of *not* fixing your matches ahead of me, so don’t wait for me.

I understand.

Your mom scares me.

*giggle* That was quite honest of you. Not altogether inaccurate, though.

My father is sick, so my mother has to support all of us. She used to be a local TV announcer, but she had to quit to take care of him… He was a pro shogi player. He’s a calm man, but when he played you could feel his fighting spirit. I started playing because I admired him. He never hesitated when making a move, just like a king.
Sounds like he was either really good at shogi or loving awful at it.

…But after pouring everything he had into shogi, he suddenly collapsed one day. In my mother’s eyes, shogi stole both her dream and her husband…

Which is why she’s so eager to push you so hard into it? Don’t really understand that, myself.
I barely understand myself, to be fair… She wants me to achieve her dreams.

I should be working to help support us. I want to become a professional so that I can make enough money to ease my parents’ burden. I do photoshoots and interviews, hoping they’ll add some money to our household income… But it’s honestly quite difficult for me.

Sounds like you should stop then. It’s an admirable goal, but it’s not worth yourself.

I’m happy that you’re so concerned about me… But when I think about my mother, I…

No one. not my fans nor my peers, sees me as a shogi player anymore. They no longer recognize my skills. I’m not playing in the hopes of becoming an idol… I just want to support my family…
Sounds rough, buddy. Unfortunately, I don’t have any answers for you. I can only make you realize the answer you already held within your heart. It’s kind of my superpower. Well, one of two. The other one’s secret.

…Tsk, this isn’t good. I shouldn’t be focusing on such negative topics before a match… Well then, let’s play. Today, I’m going to be throwing a lot of offensive moves at you. This will teach you how to escape from disadvantageous situations.
I feel Hifumi’s trust in me growing…

When are we ever getting ambushed? Not that useful, but I guess it’s fine in a pinch.

That aura… My right eye is twitching. Now! It’s time to unleash my hidden evil eye! Now… To a fair match!

DRAGON INSTALL!
(…That’s fuckin’ adorable.)

I feel like playing shogi with Hifumi has helped sharpen my Knowledge

Phew… That wasn’t so bad. Let’s continue our lessons next time…

I apologize for my mother’s rude behavior earlier. She’s been on edge lately… My male fans are beginning to concern her… She didn’t mean to offend you at all. I hope you’ll accept my apology in her place.

I’ll be sure to talk to her about you.

I intend to improve my skills, so I can become an established player and put my mother at ease.

Line changes!!!!

I was expecting the voiced Confidant stuff to be completely unchanged (remember, the first and last ranks of every Confidant are voiced), but nope. In Tora’s Rank 10 conversation, the consecutive lines “Today will be the last day I’ll request help from you…” and “…A member of the Phantom Thieves.” have been changed to “Today will be the last day I’ll request help…” and “…from a phantom thief.” Very minor change, don’t really get that one. I guess they brought William Salyers back in for some other stuff and they figured they might as well? Dunno.

Arist fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 31, 2022

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Arist posted:

Well. gently caress.

At least he’s the only one who’s figured it out! It’d be real embarrassing if, say, everyone else we hang out with managed to solve that riddle!

To be fair, I think Yoshida is the only one who figures it out on his own; everyone else either needs to be told in a plot event or spend some time mulling over the mystery of how the person causing their personal issues suddenly changed their tune right after Hamiru-kun asked what their full name was.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Yusuke learned how to teleport on August 8th.

There is a frame here without any dialogue. I am unsure if this is intentional or not, but I do not remember a pause in the mother's dialogue.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Lala may have been robbed of a proper portrait but at least she got the chat icon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Arist posted:

Says tomorrow’s gonna be hotter. Like yesterday.

I'll call tomorrow.

You'll call now.

I'll call now.