Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Heads up, I had a crash while in the Abbey just talking to people. Doesn't look like talking autosaves so I had to redo a bunch of dialogue, which wasn't a big deal, but it'd really suck if you had explored a bunch of picked up stuff. So anyway put down a save every so often. Playing on PS5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Just got to rescue Spider-Man and gotta say while not all of the writing lands they do absolutely nail him in particular. Also a really fun support character built around 'play a fuckton of cards' which so far has helped set up Ghost Rider or Captain Marvel for some big turns.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Press F to pay respects is in the game.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Can't believe they got Roboman for this game.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Does your character (the Hunter) have to be melee focused?

Every preview I've seen has them dual wielding.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Cute mechanic: They reused the XCOM 2 propaganda poster mechanic but as the front pages of comics.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Put me down as loving this game

This is so much fun

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
How is the performance on PC?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Fair warning that overwriting a save on pc has a decent chance of crashing your game, so save to a new slot every time (and then delete old saves)

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

RatHat posted:

The volume hairstyle is hilarious, like a throwback to 90s comic book hair

can i have 90s Rogue hair, this is important to me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The first thing I bought with Gloss was a dog bed for Charlie.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

poe meater posted:

How is the performance on PC?

There's some serious stuttering issues - I guess it must be shader caching? Basically the first time you use any attack it has extreme stuttering, but after that it's fine. Apparently this is also a big issue in the sanctum, too, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

I'm contemplating just refunding and playing on console, where folks say performance is just fine. UI seems like it'll be fine on a controller TBH.

Other than that, the game is fun as poo poo, so it's a shame that the performance issues mar the initial experience.

This is all on a 3070, max settings with RT, DLSS Balanced. IQ is really nice and framerate is a locked 60 with the exception of the stuttering. I'm playing on an NVME drive, so that's not the problem.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Bleh. Is that with the latest drivers from yesterday? Marvel Suns was specifically mentioned in the notes.

I might wait on it if you're seriously contemplating switching to console. I'm only on a 1070.

poe meater fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 2, 2022

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

poe meater posted:

Bleh. Is that with the latest drivers from yesterday? Marvel Suns was specifically mentioned in the notes.

I might wait on it if you're seriously contemplating switching to console. I'm only on a 1070.

Yup, installed the new game ready drivers this morning.

Again, want to emphasize that once it's cached the shaders or whatever it's doing, it runs great and looks/plays very well. But it's pretty jarring before that.

edit: I'm reading now that it might be an issue with RT - I'll try turning it off when I can play again later to see if that fixes things.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I already love this game and I'm only on the first mission after setting up Hunter. This is extremely my jam - occult comic book heroes, xcom gameplay and a deckbuilder

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There is a Road House reference three minutes in. Writing 10/10 no notes.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Big fan of Jake and though it hasn't quite clicked for me a few missions in, I have high hopes.

I do find the Marvel wallpaper of this game pretty unwelcome. The material is culturally dominant to the point of being so, so boring. Most of these characters are either generic or fraught. The design I guess is what they were buying because it seems even a modestly talented writer could come up with something interesting without paying for Marvel. I understand the selling point here for Marvel fans is in nostalgia, but your childhood is a loving joke and before you try to retaliate: I don't like anything. I'm untouchable.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

VanillaGorilla posted:

There's some serious stuttering issues - I guess it must be shader caching? Basically the first time you use any attack it has extreme stuttering, but after that it's fine. Apparently this is also a big issue in the sanctum, too, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

Or Devuno checks put in too many/wrong places.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Honestly, they should have just made this a new Freedom Force. Now there's an IP with some meat.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Dorkopotamis posted:

before you try to retaliate: I don't like anything. I'm untouchable.

Dorkopotamis posted:

Big fan of Jake

:thunk:

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Anyone have strong opinions on the voice acting split for the two different actors who voiced the Hunter? Is this a Mass Effect / AC: Odyssey situation where there's one who clearly outshines the other, or should I just play as whatever?

For the record, why I bought it already: Like turn-based / sRPGs / tactical RPGs quite a bit. Marvel fan. Also like deckbuilders. Should theoretically be into X-Com but bounced a couple of times off both games. Didn't know Jake Solomon's name until this thread but know Fraxis' reputation and assumed someone experienced and talented would be behind it.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Just you try to hurt me.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Enjoying this game but god are the character models in cutscenes ugly(at least on PS5). Might be a bug

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Digital Osmosis posted:

Anyone have strong opinions on the voice acting split for the two different actors who voiced the Hunter? Is this a Mass Effect / AC: Odyssey situation where there's one who clearly outshines the other, or should I just play as whatever?

They honestly both seem fine. However the spirit moves you.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Nah the character models are just not great, they haven’t improved that much since xcom 2

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Can confirm disabling RT really improved stuttering.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

used my mystic castlevania whip to throw a dude into an electric box to blow up, then lined up 4 guys and melted them with Marvel's photon beam. game very fun. love how you can use palettes and elevated stuff to vault over for a souped up axhandle smash.

the fake Twitter/text group chat Iron Man puts on your comms is actually funny. Everyone just dunking on Blade.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

So far, I'm really enjoying this. I'm only about two hours in but I'm digging the combat, the writing, and the VA performances (though as always they forget that Blade is supposed to be English :goonsay:) so I'm very satisfied. It's running pretty well on my Deck, it's a massive power hog but that's not a surprise, though I have crashed twice during a cutscene when you first go to sleep and that's pretty annoying. Overall I think the characters look good, though Nico, Carol, and sometimes Caretaker have pretty unconvincing faces and the Abbey's ground are so much bigger than I was expecting. If I had to quibble, I kind of wish I could jump when running around but I'm sure I'll get used to that before too long, and I really, really wish there was a way to pause cutscenes.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

VanillaGorilla posted:

Can confirm disabling RT really improved stuttering.

Alright gently caress it, I'm in.

Btw, there's a 15% discount on greenmangaming for PC if you were still sitting on the fence.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Am I crazy or are the cutscenes really blurry?

RatHat posted:

Enjoying this game but god are the character models in cutscenes ugly(at least on PS5). Might be a bug

Only person I've seen with a similar issue. Feels like some setting is hosed up or something.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

thebardyspoon posted:

One of the reviews I read said you can crank the difficulty up and down as you want and get more rewards for making it harder, they talked about having it 3 levels above the default for a large chunk of the game so might be worth doing that if it is that easy.

The higher difficulties all start locked.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I love this game so far. But it's kind of weird how Magik is objectively the best character in every way.

Unormal posted:

The higher difficulties all start locked.

Those unlock quite fast.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

poe meater posted:

Alright gently caress it, I'm in.

Btw, there's a 15% discount on greenmangaming for PC if you were still sitting on the fence.

Epic Games Xmas leak says they're going to be offering a one-use 25% discount off any game, so if you can be patient for a fortnight, that's another possiblity.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

cant cook creole bream posted:

I love this game so far. But it's kind of weird how Magik is objectively the best character in every way.

fitting, appropriate

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

No, no, that checks out.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Returned it after the intro.

Holy gently caress do I not like being told that two ultra-rich honkey pricks bickering is my favorite thing and I am being fan-serviced.
Also don't like that a plate chest armor moves like a tight angora sweater.
Controls weren't great, graphics were ropey, dialogue was marginal leaning toward poor, intro mooks were dull.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Those unlock quite fast.

I haven’t got her yet but I definitely remember Jake saying In a interview that he made her slightly op because she’s his favorite character.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Slo-Tek posted:

Returned it after the intro.

Holy gently caress do I not like being told that two ultra-rich honkey pricks bickering is my favorite thing and I am being fan-serviced.
Also don't like that a plate chest armor moves like a tight angora sweater.
Controls weren't great, graphics were ropey, dialogue was marginal leaning toward poor, intro mooks were dull.

I can understand almost all of these and see your points, but what's wrong with the controls in a turn based game? I just played the first fight on a lunch break and it's... turn based?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Is there a benefit to keeping the Hunter balanced, or should you just aim to max out Light or Dark?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Charlie is a good girl.