Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Wellwinds posted:

I could see it along the lines of crocodile, he's not going to become friends but it could be possible for him to wind up an ally of convenience in the final stretch if the right pieces fall into place

That was a scenario where Luffy's back was against the wall, and he also had Ivankov there to keep Crocodile in check with threat of revealing Croc's big secret.

I don't see what scenario Luffy could be put in now where he'd have no choice to accept Lucci as an ally, especially since I doubt Lucci has given up his mission to kill Robin if he's here to kill Vegapunk, someone who also "knows too much".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think Lucci rematch could be a legit fight. Luffy has never really had a proper rematch against a big villain he beat before.

Not true, he fought Arlong in the East Blue and then fought him again in Fishman Island

No idea why he changed his name though

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

That was a scenario where Luffy's back was against the wall, and he also had Ivankov there to keep Crocodile in check with threat of revealing Croc's big secret.

I don't see what scenario Luffy could be put in now where he'd have no choice to accept Lucci as an ally, especially since I doubt Lucci has given up his mission to kill Robin if he's here to kill Vegapunk, someone who also "knows too much".

The scenario is "Lucci becomes someone who knows too much". IM and the government are moving away from the whole "having powerful people with independent wills" model of enforcement and are switching to pacifistas and sat-kills.

CP9 has already shown that while they'll happily play the game they aren't "die for the governments convenience" types like bowler hat was.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah I feel like this is a chance for some dialog. Maybe Jimbei can get some things he learned from Who's-who confirmed or something. Lucci is smart enough to know when he's outclassed and isn't going to force a direct fight to try to beat Luffy. But there's a lot of ways they could still have a conflict with one another. Like Lucci could distract Luffy while the others go look for Vegapunk or he could try to kidnap Bonney as a bargaining chip or whatever. It seems like there's a lot of options for how this could go.

Lucci and Luffy being forced to work together somehow would be the most hilarious option though. Real Kuma showing up suddenly to bop everyone away would also be pretty funny.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Scholtz posted:

Not true, he fought Arlong in the East Blue and then fought him again in Fishman Island

No idea why he changed his name though

Weird choice for two different versions of an alternative Hachan replacement. At least one of them was cool.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think Lucci rematch could be a legit fight.

Like I said earlier this week, I feel like it'd be a disservice to the world of the story to have Luffy be able to become so powerful over two years but assume that every other character has to remain static. Why can't Lucci have grown more powerful in the interim as well? It'd be weird if Lucci were suddenly as powerful as Kaido, but I think there's probably a satisfying middle ground between that and Lucci just up and deciding he can no longer pose a threat to Luffy.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I want to see Lucci be stronger than he used to be... and he still has to rely on S-Kuma to hold Luffy off while he has time to realize that Luffy is in a completely different league

Runa fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 3, 2022

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

A MEGA EXPLODING posted:

apologies for the goonhovel, but maximum yamabro has been achieved !!

Just the cutest little stand for the club

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
luffy should be way stronger than lucci at this point. lucci can still be a lot stronger too! i just feel like luffy is, you know, a loving yonko. my guess is luffy has to hold back to not destroy all the stuff going on. he can work within a handicap to make the fight interesting imo.

or he can just dumpster lucci. whatever.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I don't care what Oda has planned, I'm dying to see what the madman has cooked up as an explanation for how getting his rear end beat got him a loving promotion to the Super de DUPER Cipher Pol rank, cause honestly WTF, the World Government is anything but forgiving for any type of failure. Gimme dat popcorn bucket and bring on that exposition train baby :munch:

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Yeah, I feel like S-Kuma is going to be the real threat, here. Oda's gone out of his way to introduce the seraphim as A Big Deal and vanilla Kuma was already a terrifying powerhouse who hasn't even been shown breaking a sweat in a proper fight. This seraph poo poo's gonna be wild.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Do you think just main body Vegapunk will go with the Straw Hats or all 7 of him?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Also holy schnikes they gave seraphim jimbei the Swim Swim fruit, that might be the most dangerous man on the lineup, good god :dogstare:

and :laffo: when we getting seraphim Buggy

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Desumaytah posted:

Yeah, I feel like S-Kuma is going to be the real threat, here. Oda's gone out of his way to introduce the seraphim as A Big Deal and vanilla Kuma was already a terrifying powerhouse who hasn't even been shown breaking a sweat in a proper fight. This seraph poo poo's gonna be wild.

Additionally actual Kuma could land on the island at any moment, so there's plenty of material to go hog wild with.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

anime was right posted:

luffy should be way stronger than lucci at this point. lucci can still be a lot stronger too! i just feel like luffy is, you know, a loving yonko. my guess is luffy has to hold back to not destroy all the stuff going on. he can work within a handicap to make the fight interesting imo.

or he can just dumpster lucci. whatever.

I don't think Lucci is going to come anywhere near as close to Luffy as he used to, that's clear. The question is whether Luffy casually beats him, or is surprised at how tough he still is before beating him. Or more likely their first clash will be inconclusive as I doubt this is the end of Lucci's involvement in this arc already.

Luffy totally could just easily trounce him and it would make sense, but I dunno why you'd bring back Lucci and not let him be at least a little impressive.

White Light posted:

Also holy schnikes they gave seraphim jimbei the Swim Swim fruit, that might be the most dangerous man on the lineup, good god :dogstare:

and :laffo: when we getting seraphim Buggy

S-Bug is one I'm interested in, though he'd have to be younger than the rest. A little two year old Seraphim clown.

There's also potentially S-Gecko, S-Croc and S-Flamingo that we haven't heard of yet. Though if the two year old ones are functional, there's also S-Tiger and S-... uh... Beard? Weird that he's the only person who's ever been a Shichibukai who isn't an animal.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

White Light posted:

I don't care what Oda has planned, I'm dying to see what the madman has cooked up as an explanation for how getting his rear end beat got him a loving promotion to the Super de DUPER Cipher Pol rank, cause honestly WTF, the World Government is anything but forgiving for any type of failure. Gimme dat popcorn bucket and bring on that exposition train baby :munch:

???

he's a useful tool despite his one loss. And he's still loyal. Why throw that away? Except for recent pacifista developments the wg still needs hitters on his level

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Do you think that the recent reveal that sufficient haki can counter devil fruit power effects was setup to explain why Kuma's not just going to be able to send everyone to the core of the planet or the sun or something in the inevitable upcoming fight?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Libra posted:

Do you think that the recent reveal that sufficient haki can counter devil fruit power effects was setup to explain why Kuma's not just going to be able to send everyone to the core of the planet or the sun or something in the inevitable upcoming fight?
Honestly I though it was just there to explain why broken DF powers couldn't have just taken out the Yonko long ago. The only person with the implied level of haki here that could possibly negate a DF power is Luffy, and maybe Zoro. I don't imagine Lucci is quite on a Yonko fighting level like Law.

Though, I suppose he is about to fight a Yonko in the form of Luffy so who knows.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Eiba posted:

Honestly I though it was just there to explain why broken DF powers couldn't have just taken out the Yonko long ago. The only person with the implied level of haki here that could possibly negate a DF power is Luffy, and maybe Zoro. I don't imagine Lucci is quite on a Yonko fighting level like Law.

Though, I suppose he is about to fight a Yonko in the form of Luffy so who knows.

yeah, felt like that was more for the up until now implicit idea that you can just no-sell the ethereal otherworldly properties of devil fruits like “punching the air to make a air quake” with a high enough haki level.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Last Celebration posted:

yeah, felt like that was more for the up until now implicit idea that you can just no-sell the ethereal otherworldly properties of devil fruits like “punching the air to make a air quake” with a high enough haki level.

I feel as though this has been explicit for a while.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It doesn't feel like Luffy and Lucci are about to fight. It would make sense if they did but it just doesn't seem like the arc is going in that direction.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

No Wave posted:

It doesn't feel like Luffy and Lucci are about to fight. It would make sense if they did but it just doesn't seem like the arc is going in that direction.

yea I can see like 1 exchange of blows or something but then they get split up somehow

either way lucci doesn't have to be static for it to feel weird to have luffy struggle against him after beating the guy called the world's strongest creature, even if he can't use gear 5 at will. this could be one of those times after a big arc where luffy gets to clown on some guy to show how much stronger he is now

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
that chapter owned but im so aggressively invested in kuma's deal that any time he's shown at all he's all i can think about to the detriment of everything else lol

i feel like vegapunk definitely has some trap card hiding kuma's original mind and the whole ego death thing was also definitely some petty mandate by the celestial dragons over perceived slights from the time kuma was a king and im sure theyre the selfsame source of his reputation as an ostensible tyrant too

that's why as soon as his prototypical role in the pacifista project was concluded and that project was succeeded by the seraphim one he was donated to mary geoise as a pass-around slave to make an example of

the particulars of that past are also no doubt the motivation for his relationship with the revolutionaries

the warlord participation was certainly double agent poo poo but the deal with the devil he made with vegapunk has to be on account of the WG using his daughter as a hanging threat and why they're so keen on keeping her hostage and alive even though they suck rear end at it

and other words that mean surety as if there's even a slight point to trying to predict anything we haven't already been shown by oda

derra
Dec 29, 2012
As a Fishman Island enjoyer, I hope that Luffy doesn't just crush Lucci because if he does there will be a significant amount of people who will complain that the fight was too easy.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

derra posted:

As a Fishman Island enjoyer, I hope that Luffy doesn't just crush Lucci because if he does there will be a significant amount of people who will complain that the fight was too easy.

I didn't have this specific complaint about FI but I assume that there it is about how Hody is the main villain of the arc and is using super cocaine power and also fighting under water for a portion of it and he still is a push-over and doesn't really give Luffy an excuse to flex his off-screen training arc strength.

I don't think that will be as much of an issue here as Lucci's power is a known factor and he isn't being built up as the "end boss" for this specific arc. Also he's running into Luffy like 3 chapters into the arc anyway, and these days people seem to be in favor of smaller bite-sized arcs (Zou getting a ton of praise) so Luffy clowning on Lucci and the crew making a quick escape with Vega Punk will probably be a welcome change.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Brandfarlig posted:

???

he's a useful tool despite his one loss. And he's still loyal. Why throw that away? Except for recent pacifista developments the wg still needs hitters on his level

Well they were being chased and hunted down by the Navy in that cover story so there's clearly presidence for it in the narrative already. I just wanna know the deal they cut them, and what happened to the others? Looks like they kept the Gold and Silver medals, effed the rest.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Kuma lands on Egghead, Vegapunk re-installs his brain and the story is now the Luffy/Vegapunk/Kuma/Lucci Power Hour.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

I need to see the duel where Lucci is in his usual ultra-serious templar mode, and is torn between being annoyed that Luffy isn't taking things as seriously as him, or glad for the free shots he's getting in every time Luffy laughs at Kaku doing weird giraffe transformations off to the side.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i think its a little interesting that you can tell that oda has always had some long-term idea in mind with the series based on the proximity the characters are introduced for the first time in the story. that's a horrible mess of a non-sentence but what i mean is that i don't think it's a coincidence that lucci and kuma were introduced in back to back arcs, seems clear to me oda has always had some idea of them dovetailing again later

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Back to watching Stampede. There's little to say 35 minutes in. The stuff's that's happening is pretty hollow, but it is gorgeous. A villain just said that there's little over ten minutes left (until the buster call starts in full), and the movie has 70ish minutes left to it. I'm worried we're gonna go full on tournament of power and inworld only like 9 minutes 50 seconds pass from this point forward lol

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

MorningMoon posted:

Back to watching Stampede. There's little to say 35 minutes in. The stuff's that's happening is pretty hollow, but it is gorgeous. A villain just said that there's little over ten minutes left (until the buster call starts in full), and the movie has 70ish minutes left to it. I'm worried we're gonna go full on tournament of power and inworld only like 9 minutes 50 seconds pass from this point forward lol

Actually about 50 minutes of the remaining runtime is a deep dive into the main villain's backstory. They really flesh it out and by the end of the movie you might feel even more attached to him as a character than any of the Strawhats.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

I think Oda wrote himself into a corner with that ending and there's no nice way out.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

White Light posted:

Well they were being chased and hunted down by the Navy in that cover story so there's clearly presidence for it in the narrative already. I just wanna know the deal they cut them, and what happened to the others? Looks like they kept the Gold and Silver medals, effed the rest.

Except for maybe Jyabura the rest are all replacable dickheads. I don't think Lucci needed more of a deal than "just keep killing who we tell you to and you'll never lack work" Kaku is somewhat different but if he got offered work in exchange for not being a wanted man for the rest of his life he's probably down to clown. The rest are probably doing whatever since they're not really worth killing. Or Lucci cleaned house as a part of his deal. I could see him mentioning that and pissing Luffy off. Not that he really gives a poo poo about Kalifa and co but just killing your "friends" as an afterthought would piss him off.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 4, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
unlike lucci, kaku wasn't particularly cruel, but he didn't show any hesitation or remorse. he's a nice dude by the standards of his fellow ruthless enforcers of a corrupt government. that's not the same as being a nice dude.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

unlike lucci, kaku wasn't particularly cruel, but he didn't show any hesitation or remorse. he's a nice dude by the standards of his fellow ruthless enforcers of a corrupt government. that's not the same as being a nice dude.

Kaku definitely showed a little regret when Zoro told him he was fired.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Finished Stampede. A delightful bag of chips. The plot isn't great, but it's also not like annoyingly bad like the Hosoda one could be at points. The important thing on a big fanservice movie/special is for the story to let all the cool bits happen with as little friction as possible, and for the cool bits to feel really loving cool. Did I really care when Bullet realized that his best years were when he wasn't alone? Not really. Was it hype as gently caress how at the same time that wall of punches looked amazing and then WE ARE started playing? YES.

I think it's a solid 8. The era of Toei's post process and whatever else improved in the studio really shines here. Very excited to see Film Red whenever so that these techniques can be applied to an idol aesthetics and have a more interesting emotional throughline, plus musical numbers.

Hmm, i rank it the same as Strong World, but really, Strong World is about a stampede and Stampede is about a strong world coming together.

oh also love that in this movie about every single loving character showing up and 95% of them getting some form of W, Akainu is still a loser stuck in his position unable to get any form of win.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

gently caress Kaku, he was a hero to the people of Water 7 and he didn't give a poo poo about them, and I hope he feels bad for the rest of his life.
:negative:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

But have you considered

he's a giraffe

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

But have you considered

he's a giraffe

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004