Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Nighthand posted:

It's the last one. Unifying courthouses and prosecutor office and stuff in one place instead of half a dozen buildings around town.

"The county’s new Justice Facility will bring together county prosecutor’s office, as well as Circuit and District courtrooms and facilities. Starting on the top floor and going down will be the county’s Circuit Court, then the prosecutor’s office, then the District Court."

They should have committed to the bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

PO installed grey "wood look" tile in the master bath. I hate it but not enough to rip it out. Yet.

Mahnarch
Jan 7, 2008

Landing?
Do, or Do Not.
There is no 'Try'.
We're on the magic page;

The ultimate crappy construction.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mahnarch posted:

We're on the magic page;

The ultimate crappy construction.

Space stations need heat venting! Getting it down to a single vent that's only two meters across was an engineering miracle. Of course it's a weak point, but that's why you build multiple redundancies into your system. The Rebels could have, and should have, been stopped by any number of other defense mechanisms that they were mysteriously able to breeze right by. Almost as if some highly-placed official specifically sabotaged the bureaucratic and structural systems that were meant to protect the station from this kind of assault...

See also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agcRwGDKulw

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I'm putting vinyl plank (luxury) in my basement room, but it's certainly not gray.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Space stations need heat venting! Getting it down to a single vent that's only two meters across was an engineering miracle. Of course it's a weak point, but that's why you build multiple redundancies into your system. The Rebels could have, and should have, been stopped by any number of other defense mechanisms that they were mysteriously able to breeze right by. Almost as if some highly-placed official specifically sabotaged the bureaucratic and structural systems that were meant to protect the station from this kind of assault...

See also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agcRwGDKulw

Also they forgot to install the lint filter on the exhaust. I mean come on, yeah, you'll have to clean or replace the filters, but how would the Rebels have fared if there were a couple of big screens anywhere along their path?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I prefer the Phineas and Ferb version where Darthenshmirtz helped design it and of course installed a self-destruct mechanism automatically. Funny how the very first thing Disney did with the franchise pretty much predicted a lot of it, including the Death Star having built in flaws that lead to its destruction and a major character being a turncoat Stormtrooper.

Though Rogue One more establishes that specifically the main reactor of the Death Star was indeed designed to be dangerously unstable and blow the whole thing up at a relatively small disruption- though I imagine he had more in mind internal sabotage or a suicide bombing than a well placed torpedo.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ah, yes, any Sims house I live in long enough to upgrade multiple times.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Guy Axlerod posted:

PO installed grey "wood look" tile in the master bath. I hate it but not enough to rip it out. Yet.

I think a bathroom is the only place that color of grey wood tile looks ok. Maybe like an small entryway/vestibule/mudroom. But across a whole kitchen, living room, dining rom, etc...? No way.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Looks like someone doesn't realize that modern anti-tank missiles can easily defeat this type up up-armoring.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

MH Knights posted:

Looks like someone doesn't realize that modern anti-tank missiles can easily defeat this type up up-armoring.

cope siding

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

How is the door that much higher than the picture window next to it? I get having to step down into a basement apartment. But having to climb stairs outside just to step down on the inside to the main floor? What’s up with that?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Orvin posted:

How is the door that much higher than the picture window next to it? I get having to step down into a basement apartment. But having to climb stairs outside just to step down on the inside to the main floor? What’s up with that?

Probably the living room behind the big window is a step or two down from everything else on that floor.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Probably the living room behind the big window is a step or two down from everything else on that floor.

It’s possible, I guess with the basement window below, I just assumed that there was a basement (or parent’s) apartment. And it would be kinda odd to have multiple levels on the first floor. But this is the crappy construction thread, so anything is possible.

It could just be how they made the entryway work with access to the second floor apartment. Elevate the entryway a bit, so the stairs to the second floor fit in the space now available.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Levels, Jerry. I'm getting rid of all my furniture and I'm gonna build these different levels.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Better be a solar BBQ array because when the sun hits that, something's gonna cook

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
~*house rules*~

Do not throw rocks

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

This feels like a lot of effort when you could just move the steam pipe a foot to the right

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Orvin posted:

A strangely popular move in that exact type of home is to have an opening between floors right at the front window. So, like, there's a balcony behind that window in their living room, looking down into the basement. This allows for a big, tall set of windows looking out at street level and into your little lowered garden area. Can't guarantee that's what's happening, but its a possibility. Usually it's one big, nice storefront type window, but not always.

Edit: Eh, looking closer, don't think that's it. I leave this post as a testament to one of the dumber design trends in Chicago townhomes though.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 4, 2022

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Do you ever just want to build a shame cube in the middle of your living room for your refrigerator?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://twitter.com/CheapoCrappy/status/1460715345241591823

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Is there any way at all to do this without the room turning into a big mold growing greenhouse?
I don't think even a heated floor beneath the carpeting could do it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Airflow from underneath like an air hockey table

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

By popular demand posted:

Is there any way at all to do this without the room turning into a big mold growing greenhouse?
Full professional-grade carpet cleaning every single day?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You could probably do it with ultraviolet germicidal irradiation.

There’s a lot of shadowing in the fibers, but if you hit it with enough ionizing radiation, nothing will grow in there.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Dec 5, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

By popular demand posted:

A gamma source would work.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Airflow: expensive
Carpet cleaning service: expensive
UV: probably still expensive for the power requirements
Gamma source? YOU'RE A GENIUS

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
This is clearly a multi-family dwelling so nobody gave a poo poo from day one

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
https://twitter.com/zillowgonewild/status/1599465261618188288?s=46&t=aZi2Kvv_eWsQXYe2F1vKag

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/...=zillowgonewild

FYI, that's not a "Extra" kitchen/wet bar in the basement...that (as far as I can tell from the photos) is the ONLY kitchen.

Who doesn't love a little piss splash-back in your risotto?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You can tell what kind of stand-up human beings live there by the fist indentations on the metal door.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Zil posted:

Do you ever just want to build a shame cube in the middle of your living room for your refrigerator?

If you press a switch on the other side of the house, the whole thing sinks flush with the floor and there's some kind of power-up on top.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

absolutely insane design choice right there.

why not put it along the wall where the peninsula starts, drop the peninsula, and have a big ol' island if you want that additional cabinet and counterspace???

e: where does that doorway in the background lead to, and why is the top of the drywall only a few inches above the door??!

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 5, 2022

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Platystemon posted:

You could probably do it with ultraviolet germicidal irradiation.

There’s a lot of shadowing in the fibers, but if you hit it with enough ionizing radiation, nothing will grow in there.

Probably also turn your carpet to dust in short order though.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

DrBouvenstein posted:

https://twitter.com/zillowgonewild/status/1599465261618188288?s=46&t=aZi2Kvv_eWsQXYe2F1vKag

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/...=zillowgonewild

FYI, that's not a "Extra" kitchen/wet bar in the basement...that (as far as I can tell from the photos) is the ONLY kitchen.

Who doesn't love a little piss splash-back in your risotto?

I live here. I really want to see this out of morbid curiosity.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

totalnewbie posted:

I live here. I really want to see this out of morbid curiosity.

Trip report please.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Definitely have a few beforehand and try out the urinal operation. Important to make sure everything works.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Zil posted:

I'm not sure what is better/worse; that the fridge nook is a foot taller than the fridge for reasons, or that it doesn't go all all the way to the ceiling and leaves an awkward gap instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ashcans posted:

I'm not sure what is better/worse; that the fridge nook is a foot taller than the fridge for reasons, or that it doesn't go all all the way to the ceiling and leaves an awkward gap instead.

The "reasons" are that the rough opening was sized for a top compressor built in SubZero and someone jammed a big box store samsung or whatever in there because it was $10k cheaper.