Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sube
Nov 7, 2022

RareAcumen posted:

What is a good primer on why 4Kids had to make so many weird changes to some of the anime they were in charge of dubbing? Like, just giving something too low a rating and having to scrunch the anime to fit that tone like One Piece or Yu-Gi-Oh I get, but why everything else?

Production networks mostly requested these changes for stuff they felt was inappropiate / would receive negative reaction, which 4Kids had to do so they could broadcast the shows on the timeslots. This weird censorship still happens though not as extremely, it came up al ot with Gravity Fall for example: https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/1537314312926003201?s=20&t=0JXuO0WdliOtpQdVKoscUA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
yeah its worth remembering a lot of anime in japan airs at less ad friendly timeslots but 4kids et al wanted that stuff to be in much nicer blocks. so stuff that would be okay at like 8/9pm in the us (and aired there or even later in japan) had to be adapted for like saturday morning and weekday afternoons

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Someone at work was saying One Piece wasn't part of the Big 3 and I had to shut that poo poo down real quick

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Buh???? What was replacing it?

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
been watching haikyuu on the exercise bike and it owns so much that tsukki is the hero of season 3 while hinata just gets beaned in the head by volleyballs repeatedly

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

verbal enema posted:

Someone at work was saying One Piece wasn't part of the Big 3 and I had to shut that poo poo down real quick

They’re right you know. One Piece kinda blows the other two out of the water wrt sales, it’s not even a competition. well, I guess Bleach is pretty cool.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
when i was a kid i used to think that the big three had dragon ball in it instead of bleach because of how goku was placed with luffy and naruto on the jump super stars box and because of battle stadium don

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yugi-oh aired during a kids time slot in Japan it's just broadcast standards are different. And it's US run aired during the weird time for Anime in the US in that it being an anime was a plus but having it being adapted was still something that needed to be done for broadcast TV run not to mention to sell toys

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Sleng Teng posted:

Patlabor imo

ty i'll start with it :tipshat:

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
sure but yugioh has the additional wrinkle of konami themselves stepping in, cuz theyve done the same for the card game. like one piece was absolutely it was put in an inappropriate timeslot when it came over. hence the things like "poison suction cups"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Big Leg posted:

been watching haikyuu on the exercise bike and it owns so much that tsukki is the hero of season 3 while hinata just gets beaned in the head by volleyballs repeatedly

He's contributing! All the 1st years are putting in work. :colbert:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I want to shout out two people in my showing:

1) the guy who, when the protag chose one of the girls, clapped
2) the guy who, when the protag chose one of the girls, muttered god damnit

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He's contributing! All the 1st years are putting in work. :colbert:

they are all wonderful lads for sure. :cheersdoge: but i think tsukki discovering his shonen fighting spirit/love of volleyball was my favorite moment of the series so far.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Srice posted:

Lol

I also went and saw the film today, and was surprised it had a bigger audience for it than when I went to see One Piece Film Red. And honestly, it deserves it, it was a much better film than film red, even if it didn't have Ado singing throughout. My only regret was that I caught the dub instead of the sub (the website lied about it being the sub version), but there were some great line reads that made me chuckle throughout, and the emotional moments still hit, so it still came out a positive experience.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's cool watching anime in theaters. But it has to be something I want to watch and the theaters around here don't really get many new releases so it's mostly the independent theaters doing special showings.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Julias posted:

Lol

I also went and saw the film today, and was surprised it had a bigger audience for it than when I went to see One Piece Film Red. And honestly, it deserves it, it was a much better film than film red, even if it didn't have Ado singing throughout. My only regret was that I caught the dub instead of the sub (the website lied about it being the sub version), but there were some great line reads that made me chuckle throughout, and the emotional moments still hit, so it still came out a positive experience.

dang, wish my friend hadn't watched the movie in secret without me just because i haven't watched/read any of it. i hope ichika won because she looks the coolest

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Oh no now people are talking about Bleach at work

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sounds sweet

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm going to finish Bleach tomorrow - and then start on...Naruto :twisted:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm going to finish Bleach tomorrow - and then start on...Naruto :twisted:

How can you finish something that is still on going, huh? The manga doesn't count.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I followed the manga so never did get around to watching Quints s2. Maybe I should.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Srice posted:

lol

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Wait quints got a movie instead of s3?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

kater posted:

Wait quints got a movie instead of s3?

Yep. It's good though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Julias posted:

Lol

As someone who never saw a single episode I was pleased at how approachable it was. Not that it's a complicated setup of course but despite being the ending to the series it did a lot of lifting to be friendly to newcomers as well.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Divinenega/status/1599431233309528065?s=20&t=8lFNjTWOSmUPL6_wjsAcNw

Hell yeah

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

It's cool watching anime in theaters. But it has to be something I want to watch and the theaters around here don't really get many new releases so it's mostly the independent theaters doing special showings.

:canada:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

On the plus side it's half the price of a cineplex ticket to go to a local theater.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is World Trigger anything special? Caught my attention solely through the Kenji Kawai soundtrack.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Idk bout World Trigger being special but Bloom Trigger is

Sorta

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

sucks that the nearest cinema showing the quints is 45 minutes away

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

larry's av has achieved shoujo

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

On the plus side it's half the price of a cineplex ticket to go to a local theater.

The last of the local cinemas closed down from the pandemic, nothing but overpriced Cineplex here. :(

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Lol I just started watching this yesterday. Meant to read the manga but gf wanted to watch it too. Love the tone.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I'm a big fan of Larry's new av.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Runa posted:

larry's av has achieved shoujo

ahahaha

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
I was looking up mario kart romhacks and learned this exists:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Can Of Worms posted:

I was looking up mario kart romhacks and learned this exists:

godlike

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

sube posted:

Production networks mostly requested these changes for stuff they felt was inappropiate / would receive negative reaction, which 4Kids had to do so they could broadcast the shows on the timeslots. This weird censorship still happens though not as extremely, it came up al ot with Gravity Fall for example: https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/1537314312926003201?s=20&t=0JXuO0WdliOtpQdVKoscUA

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

yeah its worth remembering a lot of anime in japan airs at less ad friendly timeslots but 4kids et al wanted that stuff to be in much nicer blocks. so stuff that would be okay at like 8/9pm in the us (and aired there or even later in japan) had to be adapted for like saturday morning and weekday afternoons

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Yugi-oh aired during a kids time slot in Japan it's just broadcast standards are different. And it's US run aired during the weird time for Anime in the US in that it being an anime was a plus but having it being adapted was still something that needed to be done for broadcast TV run not to mention to sell toys

Ohhhh, it's the timeslots determining the tone. Okay, I see why card games are not lethal even with the saw blades and the glass-shattering skyscraper bombs and the Thanos-Snapping of all guns. It would probably be jarring to go from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to a man bleeding down the side of his head after being punched into a cliff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its a lot of factors. timeslots are one, but americans are also more sensitive to that stuff, especially in the 90s, and bigger on calling in complaints. plus the material fact that the work was foreign so it got more scrutiny.