Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The most interesting thing about it is the tense undercurrent of hostility between the MC and Ms. 100.
If this manga is any good it should build up serious pressure before it bursts

especially considering how 100 is wearing his sisters head.
though that might just be the art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Terper posted:

I think it could be pretty nicely handled by the weaker fabricants having picked up upgrades from regular humans.

Potentially neat, will check it out every now and then.

At least one Fabricant should be a deviant who understands the true power and appeal of superior machinery.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Im glad the trend for assassins nowadays is young girls who grew up on farms with circular saws

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

osaragi is very powerful

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerkface posted:

Im glad the trend for assassins nowadays is young girls who grew up on farms with circular saws

The trend in the late 90s was immortal lesbians with eyepatches fighting American shapeshifters with guns.

How times change.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
The latest chapter of Sakamoto Days gave me chills, it was so loving good. Goth girl is a goddamn monster, and I thought for a minute that she was going to pull the geisha assassin into her saw and saw her in half.

Mashle - yay, Mash is here. :shrug:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

chiasaur11 posted:

The trend in the late 90s was immortal lesbians with eyepatches fighting American shapeshifters with guns.

How times change.

So the 90s wasn't all bad then...

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
The art in fabricant looks very close to arakawa's, was the artist an assistant for her at one point? I really liked the first chapter but this feels like a pretty on the rails plot so I'm curious if they'll shake it up in a few chapters.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

The art in fabricant looks very close to arakawa's, was the artist an assistant for her at one point? I really liked the first chapter but this feels like a pretty on the rails plot so I'm curious if they'll shake it up in a few chapters.

I imagine there will be plotlines about fabricants finding new ways to upgrade themselves to match 100, and if they want the series to go on forever they can introduce new mad scientists creating new monsters. But I agree that the series will need some other kind of shakeup beyond those things at some point.

It’s interesting to see a return to the “ronin shonen” formula of Dororo, Fist of the North Star, and early Claymore here (one protagonist who actually fights and one kid sidekick). Modern shonen tends towards cast bloat, although a larger cast in a battle manga can help keep the fights from getting too samey.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I feel like the author has to be a bit careful, because the obvious progression is 100 beginning to care about him as a person and not just a growing seedbed of body parts she can harvest later, but you don't want to do that too fast or the whole hook is gone.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Justin_Brett posted:

I feel like the author has to be a bit careful, because the obvious progression is 100 beginning to care about him as a person and not just a growing seedbed of body parts she can harvest later, but you don't want to do that too fast or the whole hook is gone.

Hmm no i dont think it would (or should) hould head that way.
100 killed the boys entire family for parts while he watched and is wearing his sisters face.

I know all shounen crimes are forgiven (through the power of ninja jesus) but thats several levels over unforgivable, note the very obvious beat panels in every interaction they have.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm not sure if that is his sister's face.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lmbo at this new item: Roboco's knees pillow so you can lay your head in her lap

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

100 killed the boys entire family for parts while he watched and is wearing his sisters face.

I know all shounen crimes are forgiven (through the power of ninja jesus) but thats several levels over unforgivable, note the very obvious beat panels in every interaction they have.

I thought a bunch of fabricants together killed his entire family, not just 100.

Honestly, I see 100 as more redeemable than a lot of "redeemed" characters from other shonen manga, like Vegeta and Shukaku. Especially since she was acting in accordance with the irresistible (for most fabricants) instinct she was created with, and afterwards has managed to resist that instinct to an impressive degree (note how she acts in response to the kid cutting himself vs. how 17 reacts).

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Silver2195 posted:

I thought a bunch of fabricants together killed his entire family, not just 100.

Honestly, I see 100 as more redeemable than a lot of "redeemed" characters from other shonen manga, like Vegeta and Shukaku. Especially since she was acting in accordance with the irresistible (for most fabricants) instinct she was created with, and afterwards has managed to resist that instinct to an impressive degree (note how she acts in response to the kid cutting himself vs. how 17 reacts).

On the other hand, I read her being so protective of him not because she cares about him, but because she wants her future body parts to be in top condition. If he hurts himself or abuses his health, then that means she gets a less-than-perfect body once he comes of age.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

On the other hand, I read her being so protective of him not because she cares about him, but because she wants her future body parts to be in top condition. If he hurts himself or abuses his health, then that means she gets a less-than-perfect body once he comes of age.

That’s what she says now. But she’s totally going to die protecting him in the final chapter.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

That might be the author not being very good at drawing faces. The lady that got killed at the beginning has also extremely similar face to the sister and 100. :v:

The premise of Fabricant 100 and the way it was introduced is OK, but really formulaic. It really needs some twist in the next few chapters, because "boy and an allied monster have to find other 99 monsters, once they track one of them, the allied monster fights and kills them, rinse and repeat" is extremely basic.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
So...was Ichigoki made by the mangaka who made Shugomaru? Cause it feels that way.

100 fabricants seems pretty interesting. Plenty of wiggle room to turn interesting.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Cipher Academy: Remains hard to respect when the core of its goal/prize is "gotta protect crpytocurrency value!!!". It also needs to cut the poo poo out of the whole "b-b-b-but you're a BOY and you don't act/look like one" schtick because that poo poo got old super fast back in the first chapter.

PPPPPP: While there's stuff I like about this manga, the way Lucky has never won a significant battle despite all his hard work and how the series keeps proving that genetics and talent win out all the time, to the point Furusu gets told she should become a conductor instead, is really grating.

Me & My Gangster Neighbor: I only mention this series because the translation/editing of this one was noticeably awkward and stilted, especially when the translations in SJ tend to be quite solid.

Ghostbuster Osamu: I like the ghost who was stanning a minor character and only wanted to see if there's any information that can help with their headcanons. :v: That said, I can't help but notice that the series primarily focuses on the fujoshi experience of being in a fandom. I think it may need to switch things up soon to keep things fresh. Maybe have her exorcise a ghost who couldn't get the weathering just right for their Gunpla or something.

Fabricant 100: Feels like this is the only one in all of the new series that has potential to be great. Fingers cross it hits its stride so it doesn't get axed like poor Ayashimon.

Blue Box: The growing friendship between Ayame and Hina is adorable. Ayame trying to be mindful of what she'll say to comfort Hina was good character growth. The part where they ran into Ayame's ex who kept tearing her down to make himself feel better seriously got to me.

Akane-Banashi: Urara's line in chapter 39 about how 'of course no one will take a chance on Akane, their world is ruled by hierarchy and etiquette and doesn't look kindly on those who upset the status quo' had a hint of disdain to it. Maybe I'm misreading it, but having Master Hassho, the same guy who refused to teach Akane because he cared more about said hierarchy, be the one to break down what makes Urara's performances so good/dangerous feels very deliberate. It'd be funny if we get Urara's side of the story later and she rolls her eyes over how people keep trying to assign all these traits to her rakugo when the simple truth is that she's just better than them.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Fabricant will be a far more interesting story (in my opinion) if 100s motivation stays as it is, with no change. If 100 just wants Yao’s body and flesh, but has to train him into the ideal body, he could get strong enough to defeat her. Her inner conflict of ‘how strong do I train him’ opposed to his inner conflict of coming to care about her. He could end up having to fight her and be real broken up about it, then has to fight the creator of the fabricants who has become 101.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

amigolupus posted:

Cipher Academy: Remains hard to respect when the core of its goal/prize is "gotta protect crpytocurrency value!!!". It also needs to cut the poo poo out of the whole "b-b-b-but you're a BOY and you don't act/look like one" schtick because that poo poo got old super fast back in the first chapter.

In context, protecting the value of the cryptocurrency is clearly presented as highly morally questionable, so I don't have a problem with it being something that motivates some of the characters; I don't see it as encouraging Jump readers to invest in Bitcoin or anything like that. Though I do think making Morg a cryptocurrency is both a bit convoluted and already slightly dated; the idea of betting on the military-industrial complex would make more straightforward sense if it was shares in an investment fund instead. But I suppose the idea of a cryptography school having a secret treasure in the form of cryptocurrency was irresistible.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Fabricant will be a far more interesting story (in my opinion) if 100s motivation stays as it is, with no change. If 100 just wants Yao’s body and flesh, but has to train him into the ideal body, he could get strong enough to defeat her. Her inner conflict of ‘how strong do I train him’ opposed to his inner conflict of coming to care about her. He could end up having to fight her and be real broken up about it, then has to fight the creator of the fabricants who has become 101.

It would probably be more interesting, but it wouldn't be very Jump-y.

Now I'm remembering how part of what I liked about Mission: Yozakura Family at first was the lack of any pretense that Kyoichiro was Not So Bad Once You Really Get to Know Him and Actually Friends with the Other Characters Deep Down; he was just an rear end in a top hat that the other characters grudgingly tolerated because he was family. But eventually we got a series of storylines about how he was Not So Bad Once You Really Get to Know Him and Actually Friends with the Other Characters Deep Down, because that's how characterization works in Jump.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 6, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

It would probably be more interesting, but it wouldn't be very Jump-y.

Now I'm remembering how part of what I liked about Mission: Yozakura Family at first was the lack of any pretense that Kyoichiro was Not So Bad Once You Really Get to Know Him and Actually Friends with the Other Characters Deep Down; he was just an rear end in a top hat that the other characters grudgingly tolerated because he was family. But eventually we got a series of storylines about how Not So Bad Once You Really Get to Know Him and Actually Friends with the Other Characters Deep Down, because that's how characterization works in Jump.

Counterargument from a recent Jump series:

Makima

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Makima

Even Makima got reborn as the presumably-less-evil Nayuta.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

chiasaur11 posted:

Makima

you cant use that as an example that series followed none of SJ's rules

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

you cant use that as an example that series followed none of SJ's rules

Look, if Denji teaming up with his two best friends to disembowel and eat his crush over the course of weeks isn't friendship, effort, and victory, I don't know what is.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
For people just wandering in those last few black bars are for currently airing anime Chainsaw Man, so.....you know watch out.

With that being said, ain't even wrong. At the heart friendship is very much what it's all about.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
kept seeing the word fabricant and thought you were all talking about the british MP

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
New Marriagetoxin is out and let me just say, I'm really excited about Birdball.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

New Marriagetoxin is out and let me just say, I'm really excited about Birdball.

I have so many questions about Birdball.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Pretty sure all your questions can be answered by the name

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's the true game of freedom what more explanation do you need?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Marriagetoxin.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Finally read the first volume of Dandadan after picking it up a few months back. It's pretty good, but I was expecting it to be more horror than battle shounen based on what I knew of the premise, and I got it exactly backwards.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
It hits those notes every so often, but yeah it's definitely mostly a battle comedy.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

This chapter is for the birds

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Ichinose Family showing a little more optimism than y'all predicted, let's see which family member uncovers a dark past next.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Space Fish posted:

Ichinose Family showing a little more optimism than y'all predicted, let's see which family member uncovers a dark past next.

I'm not holding my breath on this optimism until I see it developed more, because I wouldn't put it past the author to use this as a fakeout for an even stronger "isn't this hosed up?" moment

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Space Fish posted:

I barely understood what was happening this chapter. :confused: It only clicked at the last page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Fabricant 100: Ok, I'm warming up to this. The fabricant of the week had an interesting ability and the whole encounter was pretty decent (although the main protagonist has ridiculous throwing skills) and all the mysteries this chapter dangled in front of us are intriguing.

Ginko & Gluna: Stop getting interesting the second I decide to drop you dammit. The battle was cool and I want more of that kind of thing, but it's kinda dumb that this basically proves there are like 7-8 being in the entire world that can give our protagonists a real fight.

Tokyo Demon Bride Story: Are we actually getting some kind of serious plot instead of just introducing new cute and dumb girls each chapter? (I'm joking, this chapter introduced 4 of them)