Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Yeah that line is a real doozy. Makes you think… are we the baddies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Spanish Manlove posted:

Hearing a zealot shout "SKULLS FOR THE GOLDEN THRONE" made me do a double take

"He's right, but he shouldn't say it"

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Spanish Manlove posted:

BLOOD FOR THE EMPEROR!

Then again, Khorne supports everyone's troops.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

victrix posted:

attn Zealot nerds, I just found out that after you charge all of your shots are armor penetrating

so you can charge, then while the screen effect is on, magdump into the nearest armored fatty

I am enjoying Eviscerator/Bolter on the Zealot a lot. That push+follow-up chained into a heavy attack just rips through hordes, and you just turn on the can opener if you need to kill a special in melee. Bolter is so good if you need to take out a special/monstrosity quickly, as close-range magdumping it puts out some insane damage in a hurry and at range most specials will go down real fast if you can click heads.

Now that I know that even ranged attacks are auto-crits after pressing f, that's going to make a point-blank magdump with the Bolter all the more glorious.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

victrix posted:

attn Zealot nerds, I just found out that after you charge all of your shots are armor penetrating

so you can charge, then while the screen effect is on, magdump into the nearest armored fatty

Is Zealot's crit-after-charge a timed thing? I thought only the one melee attack after charge counted.

To be fair i still dont understand a lot of traits. What's brittle, and how is it different from Rending? I thought REnding was like an enemy-targeted armor debuff, but then I saw this thing in Melk's store:

Which makes it sound like Rending is a player buff, otherwise whats the point of having it specifically on a one-shot ?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

I only know this because I'm listening to a kill team podcast, but apparently this is the pre-heresy World Eaters warcry before they fell to chaos and started using the one we all know and love (as per the seige of terra book)

Why they decided to try and backronym the cool warcry into something far less cool is beyond me.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Everyone loves decorating things with skulls, its just aesthetically pleasing

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

So let me ask you. What build are you using when not using a shield and how well does it synergize with the weapon/feats?

There is one A+B+C combo that's mostly incompatible with the bleed build: **32*3. It makes you the best at something the Ogryn specializes in: picking people up when things go sideways.

*****3 is just a strong talent, so much so that people often take it even when building for bleed. That's a lot of toughness regen, and it's on demand. **3**3 is obviously synergistic, since more ult refresh means more mobility and more toughness regen. I find it has some redundancy with shields: if you're aiming to get on top of a pack of shooters, the regen from *****3 is often covering the damage you're taking on the approach from their shooting. Ulting is faster than waddling over with your shield up, and doable even with stuff in your way. But shield/bleed builds generally take **3*** anyway, so **3**3 is very doable in that build.

Where it becomes incompatible is with **32*3, since bleed builds obviously need to take ***3**. The Ogryn is very good at getting on top of someone downed, since **3*** means ult is up very often and *****3 means ulting to charge to a downed player often refills the Ogyrn's toughness from knocking over the dudes beating on the downed player. **32*3 adds damage resistance when allies are down, making it even more doable to get on top of a downed player, blocktank the poxwalker trash on them, and even sweat some non-elite shooting. Shields can't block bullets while picking people up so far as I can tell, and taking more time to bleed those guys around the downed player means you have to waste the charge stun (although nearby enemies can be knocked down with a heavy), have a smaller window to rez, and a greater amount of time for a special or elite to roll up and ruin everyone's day.

(Side note: I really underestimated ***2**. It does so much to smooth out a bumpy run.)

**33*3 has some similar synergy for situations where you're ulting to get on top of a group shooting you. You're going to go lower on toughness in that situation because they're shooting you, so ***3** increases the effect from *****3, resulting in less health damage for situations where you ult into a rifle platoon or on top of a couple Gunner/Reaper elites.

Another combo with generally strong synergy, this time with the Bull Butcher and shovel, is ****3*. While I think every Ogryn build can and should take this feat, it's better on weapons with better cleave and wider swings.

There's also some fairly strong synergy in 21**** and a weapon with an overhead as the first heavy like the Bull Butcher or shovel, although I admit I don't use this combo at the moment. (I'm currently using 113233.) 2***** with a weapon that starts with an overhead means you have a button you can press to get some toughness back any time there's at least one enemy nearby, since the overhead can pick an enemy out of a crowd for a single swing then go back to light cleaves. 3***** doesn't help when you're occupying a single dangerous elite (or monstrosity). 21**** lets you alternate overhead/uppercut on Crushers and Bulwarks to control them, while giving you more damage than the bleeds and making it so screwing up and getting hit is much less painful. It also helps buy you more time to react to Reapers and either get to cover or quickly get on top of them, while giving you better options once you do.

GruntyThrst posted:

Yeah [SKULLS FOR THE GOLDEN THRONE] is a real doozy. Makes you think… are we the baddies?

Female Loner Psyker's entire personality is pointing out that the Imperium is evil and that yes we are the bad guys, lol

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Everyone loves decorating things with skulls

thanks to bribing my toddler to potty train with short peppa pig videos I heard that in the narrator's voice.

"Khorne loves skulls. Everyone loves decorating with skulls!"

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

I guess that one started out in jail for borderline heretical views, then.

Or this one, who I like to think was in jail for being a little too close to Space Communism The Greater Good

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Are there any good guides out there for the locations of the various grims/scripts?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

https://forums.fatsharkgames.com/t/ms-store-gamepass-hotfix-1-0-12/65931

[edit: if I had a version of the game that still had the toughness bug, I would be so mad. That poo poo was fixed ages ago already on the Steam version.]
[edit2: oh, apparently this patch introduces the toughness bug for Microsoft Store, lol]

Thanks! I was almost certain the vet bug was still in over the weekend. most of last week I was playing vet and would consistently take hp damage at full toughness.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cease to Hope posted:

There is one A+B+C combo that's mostly incompatible with the bleed build: **32*3. It makes you the best at something the Ogryn specializes in: picking people up when things go sideways.

Good post, thanks for taking the time. I also run 113233 with the Bull cleaver and Grenade Gauntlet. The thing is, the synergy just isn't there to make a build that's as strong as the shield+bleed+dmg resist+toughness regen build. Just to make it easier to read, here's the build we're talking about.

5: Lynchpin: +100% Toughness Replenishment (Allies in Coherency).
10: Heavyweight: +50% Melee Damage (Bulwarks, Crushers, Plague Ogryns, Reapers). +50% Damage Reduction (Bulwarks, Crushers, Plague Ogryns, Reapers).
15: Bullfighter: +10% Bull Rush Cooldown Reduction when you or an ally in Coherency kills an Elite enemy.
20: Hard As Nails: -25% Damage Taken for each ally currently Knocked Down or Incapacitated.
25: Raging Bull: +5% Damage (Next Melee Hit) on Melee Hit for each enemy Hit with the initial Attack.
30: Non-Stop Violence: Replenish 10% Toughness per Bull Rush Hit.

So the gameplan here is basically, keep teammates up, buff them to some degree, be buffed when they go down, and get your ult to go off sooner and have it replenish toughness. The problem is, you have no toughness regen on your melee. You get damage resist when your teammates go down, but when they do your toughness regen isn't affecting them and it's only barely helping you, so it's not as easy to clutch as it might be for someone like Zealot that has toughness regen on melee. Your ult-specific skills make it more usable, but again, not all that tanky compared to Zealot's unless you're charging a horde and if it regens on elite kill and your team is down, you're going to have a hard time regenning it, where Zealot can just stack bleed/crit and get it back.

Heavy swings aren't really great on the cleaver or even the shovel. Fine for taking out a Crusher or something, but usually I just use light swings. So you miss out on the heavy attack passive and it makes the level 5 toughness regen on attack abilities pretty useless, IMO. You comment on maybe it working... I just don't see it.

It's... fine. But to me it's clear that the Ogryn feats were pretty much built around the shield+mace. It's fine, Zealot has kind of a similar issue with the feats really lining up with dagger/axe. Veteran doesn't have so much synergy, rather they have generally strong feats and he just meshes with the ranged game design in general. Psyker I think has the short end of the stick, no real fantastic feats and no real great synergy, as far as I can tell.

I am looking forward to the inevitable feat redo pass and maybe some more varied melee weapons. A horde clear weapon that uses heavy swing with cleave for Ogryn that isn't shield+mace would be nice.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 5, 2022

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
There are no good guys in 40K

Even the less evil factions like Tau are still war horny conquerors who seem to exist only to expand and wage endless war upon the cosmos

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I wish my character would scream this instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvZiv5V4GeI

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Zzulu posted:

Dawn of war really put the VA bar high for 40K.

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

orks are the good guys in 40k, they exist for fightin and winnin

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Zzulu posted:

the classic

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

My psyker screaming "BY THE FIVE" should probably get her shot, also the constant (correct) scathing commentary on how lovely the Imperium would likely cause incoming bullets to the brain.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

explosivo posted:

I've been more surprised with how many pubbie runs go very smoothly. Like sure sometimes you get a poo poo group but more often than not I get a group who may not say a word the whole time but knows how to ping and sticks with the team and we make it out alive. Maybe I'll get a gg at the end but honestly the pubs have not been terrible in my experience. Maybe it's playing at 3+ difficulty where the pubs start to become more competent?

The higher difficulties in general have more competent people and end up being chiller than the lower difficulties from my VT2 experience. You get more ragers at wipes in Champion difficulty than in Legendary where everyone goes welp time for next gg.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

It's... fine. But to me it's clear that the Ogryn feats were pretty much built around the shield+mace. It's fine, Zealot has kind of a similar issue with the feats really lining up with dagger/axe. Veteran doesn't have so much synergy, rather they have generally strong feats and he just meshes with the ranged game design in general. Psyker I think has the short end of the stick, no real fantastic feats and no real great synergy, as far as I can tell.

The main reason I don't think the bleed/shield synergy is all that is because of one big anti-synergy: both heavy attacks and the shield are slow as gently caress. 3***** (toughness on hitting multiple enemies with a heavy) and ***1** (damage resistance for each bleeding enemy nearby) aren't making you tougher, they're offsetting the extra vulnerability of using slow attacks that do poo poo for damage, like the first heavy attack on the shield.

Contra what you're saying about the Ogryn being built around the shield/mace, I don't think the Ogryn feats are really built around any particular weapon at all. The bleed build is a bunch of parts that look enticing, but I don't think they add up to a whole playstyle. Bleeds don't seem like they do much for the shield to me compared to focusing more on the generically good stuff and light attacks, and a heavy attack build using the club or Mk IV VI (the IV is the bad one) cleaver kills weak poo poo too fast to benefit very much from ***1**. (3***** still has possibilities if you're using heavies to clear hordes, but I think *3**** is just always mediocre at best.)

apostateCourier posted:

My psyker screaming "BY THE FIVE" should probably get her shot, also the constant (correct) scathing commentary on how lovely the Imperium would likely cause incoming bullets to the brain.

I don't think anyone actually knows what BY THE FIVE is supposed to be referring to. Five isn't a number associated in an obvious way with Chaos, for one.

making GBS threads on the Imperial Creed though, yes lol

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 5, 2022

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I think i heard a dialogue mentioned 5 of something specific to that region. can't remember what exactly

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think there are five spires in the hive city?

Edit: they actually reference it on the sandy map I think

Grognan fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 5, 2022

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Zzulu posted:

There are no good guys in 40K

Even the less evil factions like Tau are still war horny conquerors who seem to exist only to expand and wage endless war upon the cosmos

Chaos are the good guys...

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Grognan posted:

I think there are five spires in the hive city?

That's Necromunda, a different planet in a different sector.

Buschmaki posted:

Chaos are the good guys...

The god of indiscriminate slaughter and the god of sadistic excess are not in any sense the good guys.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

inquisitor's troops have special privilege when it comes to breaking with dogma bc:

- they have to fight a lot of stuff the imperium official line is wrong about
- they are probably going to die horribly anyway

Estel
May 4, 2010

Fishstick posted:

Is Zealot's crit-after-charge a timed thing? I thought only the one melee attack after charge counted.

To be fair i still dont understand a lot of traits. What's brittle, and how is it different from Rending? I thought REnding was like an enemy-targeted armor debuff, but then I saw this thing in Melk's store:

Which makes it sound like Rending is a player buff, otherwise whats the point of having it specifically on a one-shot ?

From what I've seen Rending is a buff you get that increases your armour piercing, Brittleness is a debuff you put in an enemy reducing it's armour so Rending only affects yourself and Brittleness affects everyone attacking that target.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Many Ogryn words.

You can get bull cleavers with a blessing that gives toughness back on multi-hit and I find that really helps shore up any weaknesses in not taking toughness back on Heavy attacks feats.

What I'd really like is a reshuffle of tiers, a lot of cool builds you could do for Ogryn just can't be done because soany synergistic feats are all on the same tier, it's kinda maddening tbh.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Cease to Hope posted:

The god of indiscriminate slaughter and the god of sadistic excess are not in any sense the good guys.

They indiscriminately slaughter bad guys and express their sadistic excess as guitar riffs that also kill bad guys. And if you do a good enough job of that you get a cool transformation and get to live in Heaven forever. Sounds like the good guys to me...

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The toughness bug is apparently now live on Gamepass.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Buschmaki posted:

They indiscriminately slaughter bad guys and express their sadistic excess as guitar riffs that also kill bad guys. And if you do a good enough job of that you get a cool transformation and get to live in Heaven forever. Sounds like the good guys to me...

RIP to everyone else who stumbled and faltered on the path to glory but not me, I'm different

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

I swear the daemonhost does something to pubbie brains. A whole game of poo poo to stab and shoot, and one enemy in the whole map you can't

Just walk around. I know you can tank it as ogryn, very impressive. Now everyone has 2 bars of corruption and no ammo for zero reward, just in time for a fresh horde. Good job.

Just venting after a second game where a completely avoidable daemonhost chipped enough of everyone's health and resources to make the next difficulty spike a failure event.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

The toughness bug is apparently now live on Gamepass.

Weird thing to rollout but I’m not a game dev :shrug:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Evil Kit posted:

You can get bull cleavers with a blessing that gives toughness back on multi-hit and I find that really helps shore up any weaknesses in not taking toughness back on Heavy attacks feats.

What I'd really like is a reshuffle of tiers, a lot of cool builds you could do for Ogryn just can't be done because soany synergistic feats are all on the same tier, it's kinda maddening tbh.

Momentum (toughness on multiple melee hit) is very nice on the Bull Butcher. Confident Strike (toughness on chained hit) is imo comparable and I've seen it on the slab shield, the club, and the shovel, as well as the Bull Butcher. (The club also gets both Momentum and Confident Strike according to Darklantern.) I know both of these work from experience.

I've also had good luck with Slaughterer (power on kill, on the butcher and Mk VI cleaver), although eyeballing it I feel like it may contribute less.

Some blessings I want to test at some point:
  • Thrust - +power based on charge time with heavies. How much does this contribute if you're spamming heavies as fast as you can?
  • Savage Sweep - +cleave timed buff on multi melee hit. Does this even contribute anything noticeable on hordes? I'm not sure I felt a real impact but I didn't have a chance to really A-B test.
  • Haymaker - chance to instakill human-sized on chained heavy hit. Seems tempting. Does it have an ICD? Does it have enough % chance to be meaningful?
  • "Ignore enemy mass" blessings like Unstoppable Force, Brutal Momentum, Perfect Strike, or Devastating Strike - Do these contribute anything? It feels like the ideal time is hitting an elite in a pile of dudes. It would be hard to test this since this is mainly an issue on 4 or 5. The crit-based ones seem especially unreliable. (Are they even useful on a single target?)
  • Brittleness, Rend, and "stacks of +X% damage" blessings like Thunderous and Skullcrusher - How much is this contributing? The shield seems to get a lot of these.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Fishstick posted:

I swear the daemonhost does something to pubbie brains. A whole game of poo poo to stab and shoot, and one enemy in the whole map you can't

Just walk around. I know you can tank it as ogryn, very impressive. Now everyone has 2 bars of corruption and no ammo for zero reward, just in time for a fresh horde. Good job.

Just venting after a second game where a completely avoidable daemonhost chipped enough of everyone's health and resources to make the next difficulty spike a failure event.

It's sort of poorly tuned atm. On difficulty 1-2 it fucks off after killing one person, on 3 it kills two people before leaving. I think killing two should only happen on 4-5.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I have had a good few games on diff level 3 that seemed to have brand new pubbies with characters under level 5 that are harder to carry than bots

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

It's a bit funny that the players who are probably most aware about what they should do if they aggro the demonhost (dodge, block, and survive while the rest of the party kills it) are probably also the players who are most aware that they don't need to aggro the witch.

Every time I aggro the host I was able to stay alive long enough for my teammates to kill it, but most of the time other players who aggro the host die super quick because they don't realize what's happening. I don't usually aggro the host

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Are there any good guides out there for the locations of the various grims/scripts?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2889897310

and it's updated pretty regularly.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

terrorist ambulance posted:

I tried the ogryn shield a bit last night and honestly really enjoyed it. Being able to just walk forward into sniper / gunner fire that would instantly down you otherwise is pretty good, lets your team just shoot em up without much risk to the team

I had a shield and some curios that gave me an extra 40 percent block efficiency and the regular shooters basically did no toughness damage to me as I walked through them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Fishstick posted:

I play stoned frequently and while every other aspect of the game is wholly manageable, I am terrible at missing the obvious daemonhost cues. I don't know why, I'm not blind charging groups and I have my audio on!