Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

rojay posted:

Stupid question, but is bamboo a particularly bad fire hazard? Would you be getting the same grief if it was some other sort of plant in the same area?

Not really any worse than arborvitae and other fast growing shrubs. They can be pretty invasive though and need to be cut regularly either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Wright
Nov 20, 2005

rojay posted:

Stupid question, but is bamboo a particularly bad fire hazard? Would you be getting the same grief if it was some other sort of plant in the same area?

According to our fire department, apparently!

https://firesafemarin.org/create-a-fire-smart-yard/plants/fire-smart-plants/

It looks like these are some of the approved/recommended plants that we can use instead.

Our concern here, beyond the potential of fines from the county, would be insurance refusing coverage if our house burnt down.

Good times in California.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Dude posts that he doesn't want a known carcinogen dumped where he lives.
Thread: but why though?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Dude posts that he needs a job done but doesn't want to use the only tool that could reasonably work.
Thread: probably use the tool though

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Oh, you're one of those. Yeah, so there's not much anyone can do to change your mind if you want to be hysterical and uninformed about this kind of thing. But thanks for the input.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Fozzy The Bear posted:

It’s on the same list for ‘probably causes some increased risk of cancer’ as cured meats, red meat, fried foods, hot beverages and night shift work. To the extent there is a likely link between glyphosate and cancer, it’s in agricultural or landscape workers with very high levels of lifetime exposure. Wear appropriate PPE, read the label, don’t take a bath in it. The lifetime exposure risk for any home gardener is negligible. The smoke from burning the bamboo or the increased silicosis risk from the dust generated while digging it up are probably greater dangers than the minimal (if any) exposure one would get from correctly applying glyphosate to the bamboo.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Everything is going to kill you, so choose something fun.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I brought my plants inside for the winter. Are they the reason why I suddenly have a bunch of house flies? I noticed the bugs and thought they were just gnats, but my roommate thinks they may be baby house flies.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
afaik (not a bug nerd) flies won't grow in size after the grub pupates and becomes a flying adult. Lots of species in all sorts of sizes though so yes, it's likely you brought larva in with the soil the plants are in and they've hatched out in the warmth. I've got a similar problem this fall that seems to be either sweetpotato slips or pepper plants. It's driving me crazy. Time for a U/V bug zapper, a six pack, and settling back for some quality entertainment.

Another possibility is a cat playing catch and release in the basement and releasing the rodent one more times than it was caught. Usually you can smell those though by the time their corpse starts producing flies behind the washing machine. Unless they're flesh flies which can lay freshly hatched maggots into the target. They don't gently caress around.

Ain't nature wonderful?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

That Old Ganon posted:

I brought my plants inside for the winter. Are they the reason why I suddenly have a bunch of house flies? I noticed the bugs and thought they were just gnats, but my roommate thinks they may be baby house flies.

For me it's fungus gnats. Always fungus gnats. Sticky traps, hydrogen peroxide to bust the eggs, and a bonus bug zapper does it.

I usually get a host of dead millipedes once I bring plants in too.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
After 5 (6?) years of trying I finally got a harvest of Shiitake mushrooms. I started this batch 2.5 years ago on maple chips in drilled plastic containers. I'd actually given up on them and was planning to dump the contents under the blackberries. I got the container as far as the hose bib where I left it for a few days to make sure it was well soaked before I dumped it. A few days turned into a few weeks and here we are. Maybe the twice daily soakings and the standing pool of water in the centre that are the keys?

Lovely mushrooms, I can see why the Japanese are so enthusiastic about them. I've only ever had them in restaurant food up to this point, alone they are the very essence of mushroominess. I'm hooked now.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
End of season (except my leeks for a day or two while I process the chard, beets, peppers and parsley):

Compared to mid season here it's kinda sad:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Found out my county gives away these geobin composting bins for free, so I grabbed a couple and set them up this weekend and wrangled a bunch of leaves in the hope making some leaf mold.

The offseason sucks. My garden is such an outlet for excess energy. Gotta find little projects.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
drat i'm jealous. I've bought 2 geobins now and kind of want another. They are a little bit fussy to figure out unpinning and reforming them and stuff but once you get used to it, its really easy to do. Im always shuffling them around to make new piles here and there.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Some plant I bought recently must have had some slug eggs in it because my balcony is absolutely overflowing with the bastards and I've never had a problem in many previous years :mad:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

PokeJoe posted:

Some plant I bought recently must have had some slug eggs in it because my balcony is absolutely overflowing with the bastards and I've never had a problem in many previous years :mad:

Very lucky that you haven’t had issues before. My garden is mostly dormant right now and I’m still finding slugs in it. The crows aren’t even pretending to help.

I’d just grab some sluggo and give them a place to find it before they decide it’s a buffet.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...
Do folks here have any experience planting things like crimson clover during the winter? I'm trying again this year and wondering if anyone who has tried this noticed an improvement in their soil.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Might be a little late to plant crimson clover depending on where you are. Here if it's not in by early October there's not much to till in by the time it needs to come out in early April.

I use cover crops but I'm not sure how much of the increased fertility I'm seeing is them or compost or mulch or ?? Any of these are a multi-year investment. At some point you're sticking your hand in the soil, remembering the sandy gravel pit you had 4 years ago and going "Wow."

Whichever you use, I think it's always a good idea to keep your soil covered with something - crops or mulch. If it's cover crops make sure you cut them before they go to seed or you'll need to develop a tolerance for intercropping hairy vetch with your vegetables.

edit: Fava beans always do well for me if planted late fall, and I never have my act together to plant earlier so, fava beans it is again.

Hexigrammus fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 25, 2022

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I'm fairly new to NC and am wondering if I need to winterize my rain barrel. Do I need to fully empty it or can I leave it half full and point the gutter away from it?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Really depends on what part of NC.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

mischief posted:

Really depends on what part of NC.

Rocky Mount/Wilson area, about 50 miles east of Raleigh

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just dump the thing on a tree or something. The one storm worth of rain water is worth less than the barrel.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Just dump the thing on a tree or something. The one storm worth of rain water is worth less than the barrel.

This. It's also worth less than the cost of replacing the valves in case it does freeze. Unless you live somewhere it absolutely never freezes it's not worth the trouble of keeping water in it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

kafkasgoldfish posted:

Do folks here have any experience planting things like crimson clover during the winter?

Yeah, over and over.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Catalogs are arriving :ohdearsass:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Soul Dentist posted:

Catalogs are arriving :ohdearsass:

Thanks for the reminder. The Southern Exposure catalog art is always great fun.

My garden theme this year is probably going to be baby food.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I need to rebuild my bamboo trellis this year, so I'll probably focus on climbing vines (like I usually do anyway). I've had great luck with long beans and bitter melons in the past. Southern heat/humidity seems to favor S/SE Asian plants.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I need to rebuild my bamboo trellis this year, so I'll probably focus on climbing vines (like I usually do anyway). I've had great luck with long beans and bitter melons in the past. Southern heat/humidity seems to favor S/SE Asian plants.
Get on the bottle gourd train they are easy and great

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

If by "bottle gourd train" you mean all of human civilization dating back thousands of years, then yeah I probably should. Can I build a banjo out of one? That would complete my descent into total eccentricity.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Can I build a banjo out of one?
Probably! You can definitely build birdhouses. I have never grown one quite banjo size but I have also always completely ignored them.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

If by "bottle gourd train" you mean all of human civilization dating back thousands of years, then yeah I probably should. Can I build a banjo out of one? That would complete my descent into total eccentricity.

Then you can be the person who sits on their front garden without shoes on drinking home brewed kombucha made with dried fruits and tea from your garden from your bottle gourd drinking vessel. Maybe you can weave yourself a straw hat too.

I figure if it was good enough for a thousand years, it's still probably just fine.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
How can I get rid of the tons of gnats infesting my lemon tree's mulch? Is it a valid concern that spraying it down with Raid could harm helpful organisms?

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

That Old Ganon posted:

How can I get rid of the tons of gnats infesting my lemon tree's mulch? Is it a valid concern that spraying it down with Raid could harm helpful organisms?

Borax (diatomaceous earth) dusted on top of the soil works for me. Indoor plant or outdoor?

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

majour333 posted:

Borax (diatomaceous earth) dusted on top of the soil works for me. Indoor plant or outdoor?
This is a potted tree moved indoors for winter.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

majour333 posted:

Not to split hairs but they're not the same and depending on the type of gnat can vary in success. One option is to let the pot dry out a little more than usual for a few days, then set out a few of the old apple cider vinegar traps and see if things improve. Neem oil would be a slightly stronger option, but you can also just mechanically clean most of the bugs from the plant with a damp paper towel.

RAID should probably be skipped unless you're just overwhelmed with bugs. Pyrethroids tend to be readily passed in the urine but if you can just dump out a cup of vinegar, ehhhhhh....

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

That Old Ganon posted:

BTi works on most fungus gnats. It comes in pellet forms and some liquid forms. It's the same bacteria strain used on mosquitos so a lot of hardware stores and garden centers will have it in stock. The bits will work if you just bury them in under the surface and water the plant normally. It's also not harmful to humans, pets, fish, or plants. It does work on the larval stage though, so it takes a couple days to notice the difference.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Recommend me a microgreens growing tray for like a kitchen counter setup. I was thinking some of the 5x5 trays in some sort of larger tray, with a lid, that doesn't look god-awful. Maybe like a 3x2 or 3x3 setup?

It's for a gift, so I can't describe more what I'm looking for, but I'm not looking for one of those "buy our pods/flats and put them in this tray". Looking for something for loose seeds and dirt. Or water? I'm not sure.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Gardening: Or water? I'm not sure

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Hydrogen peroxide is my go-to fungus gnats cure now. Dilute it in your normal watering and you'll dissolve all the eggs in the soil. Combine with sticky traps if the live population is big enough to be annoying. And dry out soil between watering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

What ratio do you use for that? ^