Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Leperflesh posted:

To be fair to Kaiser Schnitzel, who is a much more knowledgable woodworker than me, that was me talking about miter gauge channels. I haven't tried positioning an outfeed table a foot away, I feel like a lot of time my work piece would sag down into the gap or just fall into it if I did that. Maybe it'd be fine for boards, but for example thin plywood I don't think that'd work well? Or you're suggesting bridging runners, I guess I'm not quite picturing that.

Lol, apologies to both of you then. It was a very informative post. Yeah, the runners would be just one or a couple of pieces attached to the bench, maybe sitting on the far rail, but clear of miter channels. Nbd, really. Depends on if he even foresees using a miter gauge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I wonder if the janky-rear end table saw that I don't use anymore but which I have a sled for could handle a dado stack or some other wonk-rear end solution so I could just set it up as a dedicated box joint maker...

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Just Winging It posted:

I love me some good tusked tenons but 3500$ is upscale man-cave statement piece money, not workbench that actually get used as such money.

100% this but the back story was kinda random and cool.

For only $2500 there’s this option too;

Or for $1200 you can get the beat to gently caress top off an old bench

These were just accidental things when looking for rough cut wood sellers in the area. I didn’t realize putting old work benches into your house was even a thing because that’s a little above my utilitarian brain.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

CommonShore posted:

I wonder if the janky-rear end table saw that I don't use anymore but which I have a sled for could handle a dado stack or some other wonk-rear end solution so I could just set it up as a dedicated box joint maker...

Depends on how janky-rear end it is. A dado stack is also a lot of metal. You may not have enough arbor to fit one, plus the torque could get very scary. You could maybe double up 2 7 1/4" blades for a 1/4" joint. Do you have a janky meter handy?

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yeah I'm a bandsaw's biggest fan, but they aren't going to be great for a box joint. Maybe with a bunch of even thickness spacers or something? Usually a box joint jig works by indexing off the kerf of a router bit or dado stack or w/e which is the same width as the male part, and bandsaws have tiny kerfs.

Do have a router table, have any examples for indexing off the router bit? I was picturing a 2 or 3 tooth joint so nothing like finger joints, but at that rate may be just as good cutting them by hand which defeats the purpose.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Mambold posted:

Depends on how janky-rear end it is. A dado stack is also a lot of metal. You may not have enough arbor to fit one, plus the torque could get very scary. You could maybe double up 2 7 1/4" blades for a 1/4" joint. Do you have a janky meter handy?

I'll fire the janky meter up in the morning and see how many blades I can fit on the arbor. Putting smaller blades on it might do the trick.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

For those without large arbors, Matthias has a screw advance box joint jig for a regular table saw blade.

https://woodgears.ca/box_joint/jig.html

It's sadly not the quickest thing to build though.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
I built this box joist jig several years ago and it is really good. Maybe a little bit easier to build than the woodgears one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYxDXHGRRrk

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I screwed around with putting multiple 10" blades on my janky old saw today. There was no problem getting them to spin up.

The problem was I couldn't get a flat cut out of them. I was able to cut into plywood scraps quite easily, but it wasn't flat no matter how I fiddled with it. I suppose I could go buy 3 brand-new identical blades but if I do that I can just get a dado stack for $160 from Home Depot for a better result with less dicking around and fewer safety concerns.

Which I might do and just leave it forever on that table saw and make it into a dedicated box joint cutter.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

revtoiletduck posted:

Will drawer slides bind up if your cabinet is not perfectly square, or do they have some margin for error built in?

As a follow-up to this, I took a photo:

It's less bad than I remember it being, though clearly not quite square. The other side is pretty square, and it's 41" away, if that matters. For reference, the cabinet is sitting on it's back, this photo is viewing it from the bottom, and the drawer slides would be essentially in-line with the blade of the square.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
To the seller’s credit, he did describe it as “massive woodworking vise” and did not disappoint.

24” square for reference. 10” wide jaws.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Old timers using power tools irresponsibly is one of my favorite genres of videos and this one is no exception:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7sRrC2Jpp4

the good stuff happens at 2:30 :D

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

CommonShore posted:

I screwed around with putting multiple 10" blades on my janky old saw today. There was no problem getting them to spin up.

The problem was I couldn't get a flat cut out of them. I was able to cut into plywood scraps quite easily, but it wasn't flat no matter how I fiddled with it. I suppose I could go buy 3 brand-new identical blades but if I do that I can just get a dado stack for $160 from Home Depot for a better result with less dicking around and fewer safety concerns.

Which I might do and just leave it forever on that table saw and make it into a dedicated box joint cutter.

Proper dado blades are not just a stack of regular blades. The teeth on the outside blades are angled to create smooth sides of the dado cut, while the inner blades have widely spaced teeth that can be fit alternate to each other to give the large chip removal you want.

Here's a stack with about three inner plates:

If you look closely you can see the high point and angled shape of the teeth on the outer blades. Every fourth tooth or so is flat, to clear out the rest of the waste, but most of them are angled.

Here you can see how much gap you get between the teeth on the inner plates:

You can make a very wide stack while still only having one tooth of each inner plate biting into the work piece at a time.

I think just stacking regular saw blades together will never give good clean results.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Pretty sure I just unlocked this in Vampire Survivors.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Leperflesh posted:

Proper dado blades are not just a stack of regular blades. The teeth on the outside blades are angled to create smooth sides of the dado cut, while the inner blades have widely spaced teeth that can be fit alternate to each other to give the large chip removal you want.

Here's a stack with about three inner plates:

If you look closely you can see the high point and angled shape of the teeth on the outer blades. Every fourth tooth or so is flat, to clear out the rest of the waste, but most of them are angled.

Here you can see how much gap you get between the teeth on the inner plates:

You can make a very wide stack while still only having one tooth of each inner plate biting into the work piece at a time.

I think just stacking regular saw blades together will never give good clean results.

oh I'm fully aware of the difference I'm just cheap and like extending the life of old poo poo that I have laying around.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I’m afraid of dado stacks + table saws so I just cut dadoes by hand

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

well at least you're not homebrewing a wobble dado i guess

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I’ve never really understood the fear of dado stacks. For most dado operations the blade is completely covered by the wood. I guess if kickback happens it’s probably going to be a lot more kicky?

E: I know they’re banned in Europe for safety reasons but I’ve never really known what the specific rationale was. Maybe something about the sawblade having to stop spinning in X time after the machine is switched off? Apparently it’s actually because to use a dado stack you would have to remove blade guard and riving knife, which is not allowed in Europe.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 4, 2022

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I’ve never really understood the fear of dado stacks. For most dado operations the blade is completely covered by the wood. I guess if kickback happens it’s probably going to be a lot more kicky?

E: I know they’re banned in Europe for safety reasons but I’ve never really known what the specific rationale was. Maybe something about the sawblade having to stop spinning in X time after the machine is switched off? Apparently it’s actually because to use a dado stack you would have to remove blade guard and riving knife, which is not allowed in Europe.

I'm having a hard time imagining dado kickback at all. Throat plates can be hand made easily, if the manufacturer doesn't provide. And you certainly don't need a riving knife or blade guard to do a da. How quaint of them.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

It's a sawblade but moreso, you're probably a good deal less likely to actually hurt yourself on one than a regular 1/8" rip blade but the vibes are awful and that's what most hobbyist woodworking runs on

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 4, 2022

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Living up to the thread title and finally picking up plywood tomorrow for the shelves I first asked about in...July I think? Getting a buddy to cut them and then finally putting these suckers down, but first...

1. Going for a natural wood look so they're only getting a polyurethane finish. Why might I want to use a water-based polyurethane vs an oil-based one and vice versa?

2. I've got 3/4-inch thick pieces that I'm fastening to an OSB ledge/shelf of indeterminate thickness on one end, while covering the other end with trim. Do you think 1-inch long fasteners (screws?) would keep them steady?

3. I'm not going to wreck the polyurethane finish over an entire piece of wood if I drill a couple of little holes in it after the fact, right?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

C-Euro posted:

Living up to the thread title and finally picking up plywood tomorrow for the shelves I first asked about in...July I think? Getting a buddy to cut them and then finally putting these suckers down, but first...

1. Going for a natural wood look so they're only getting a polyurethane finish. Why might I want to use a water-based polyurethane vs an oil-based one and vice versa?

2. I've got 3/4-inch thick pieces that I'm fastening to an OSB ledge/shelf of indeterminate thickness on one end, while covering the other end with trim. Do you think 1-inch long fasteners (screws?) would keep them steady?

3. I'm not going to wreck the polyurethane finish over an entire piece of wood if I drill a couple of little holes in it after the fact, right?

Let's unpack this
1) Water based poly will yellow the plywood less than oil based. Oil based was more durable in times past, and dries quicker. Modern water based poly is just as/nearly as durable, and dries quickly depending on ambient conditions. Oil can be wiped on if thinned adequately, water should be brushed or sprayed (but it's self-leveling and pretty forgiving of brush strokes).

2. Not sure what you mean here, are you cantilevering the shelf off the OSB ledge? Diagram would help.

3. Nope, it won't peel away from the holes.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

NomNomNom posted:

2. Not sure what you mean here, are you cantilevering the shelf off the OSB ledge? Diagram would help.

It's going onto this long surface here-

There's a long piece of metal trim that hooks over the ledge that I was planning to use to keep the ledge end secure, and then a couple of fasteners per piece to secure the wall end down.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Still dgi but if you're putting 1" of screw through 3/4" of material that means it's only really going 1/4" into the base, no that's not enough to support any real weight on any material you don't have to run a tap through first

Water-based poly is acceptable for low-impact indoor use like a bookshelf and is a bit clearer, as noted. Unlike most clearcoats poly stays pretty gummy and flexible, cutting into a finished surface is always going to look like poo poo in the immediate vicinity of the cut (and why are you doing that?) but as noted it won't destroy the whole piece

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 4, 2022

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Oh I think I get it, you're just capping that wall. Visible screws on the top surface will look like crap. If the plywood surface isn't extending out beyond the ledge I'd use construction adhesive there.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Shop drawer questions:

Assuming plywood are there any situations that really require anything more than glued butt joints and brad nails/screws? If I come in from the sides with the nails I imagine that will give just about any front/back strength you would need when opening and closing.

Also for the bottom, anyone had a glued & nailed bottom fail, or do you like to include some joinery for reinforcement?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Using a dado to hold the bottom is recommended. I cut mine with a trim router and edge guide but a table saw or router table would be much easier. It works great with 1/4 bottoms. I made one with a 1/2 bottom and cut a rabbit and dado, that drawer is beast.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Still dgi but if you're putting 1" of screw through 3/4" of material that means it's only really going 1/4" into the base, no that's not enough to support any real weight on any material you don't have to run a tap through first

Water-based poly is acceptable for low-impact indoor use like a bookshelf and is a bit clearer, as noted. Unlike most clearcoats poly stays pretty gummy and flexible, cutting into a finished surface is always going to look like poo poo in the immediate vicinity of the cut (and why are you doing that?) but as noted it won't destroy the whole piece

Nah I'm cutting the pieces and then putting polyurethane on, I wouldn't cut them after coating them.

NomNomNom posted:

Oh I think I get it, you're just capping that wall. Visible screws on the top surface will look like crap. If the plywood surface isn't extending out beyond the ledge I'd use construction adhesive there.

Someone upthread told me not to use an adhesive to keep them secure due to the possibility of the wood expanding or contracting with moisture, but I think that's less of a problem for plywood specifically? I am extremely new to all of this.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

C-Euro posted:

Nah I'm cutting the pieces and then putting polyurethane on, I wouldn't cut them after coating them.

Someone upthread told me not to use an adhesive to keep them secure due to the possibility of the wood expanding or contracting with moisture, but I think that's less of a problem for plywood specifically? I am extremely new to all of this.

Liquid nails and 1 1/2" screws or nails to hold it in place while the adhesive sets up. Countersink the screws, or use a nailer. Pin nailer might even work.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The adhesives used to secure wood are very strong and flexible. I personally don't like forgoing any kind of mechanical joint having handled a lot of older furniture where whatever glue they used turned to powder decades ago, but what is plywood but a broad expanse of wood held together by glue

On a big slab of regular lumber you can assume a certain amount of expansion perpendicular to the grain that'll stress any connection, so it's good practice to allow stuff to move a bit across its width and secure it along its length where swelling is negligible, but the expanding wood don't much care if that connection uses glue or screws or a convoluted japanese puzzle joint. The water might, under wet enough conditions, but tbh at that point your plywood is going to start delaminating anyway, don't build a barn out of unfinished plywood is all.

There's a ton of ink spilled on wood movement because building around it is the mark of fine craftsmanship that could survive a century of seasonal humidity swings, but if you're permanently attaching some poo poo to your modern air-conditioned house 1.humidity basically doesn't happen, outside maybe bathrooms your whole interior is preserved like a museum case and 2. the building you're attaching your shelf to is not lasting a century lol

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 4, 2022

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Yeah construction adhesive is pretty flexible and won't cause you any movement problems and will help keep anything from squeaking. You are also correct that plywood makes any concerns about wood movement basically moot, and over the 12" or w/e depth of the shelf even solid wood probably isn't gonna move all that much. You can get a plug cutter (or buy 3/8" plugs the same species as your plywood) and plug the screw holes to make it look better, or just brad/finish nail it down and putty those holes.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I’m not sure I needed it, but I couldn’t pass on a $50 oak beam. 4” x 7” x 10’ :haw:

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I personally would forgo mechanical fasteners for that ledge and just use adhesive. Add some weights to the top while it cures to ensure smoosh.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Sockington posted:

I’m not sure I needed it, but I couldn’t pass on a $50 oak beam. 4” x 7” x 10’ :haw:

Going to need a bigger lathe.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I had some leftover straight grained wood from my last project. I had milled a bit extra for the door rails/stiles but did not need it. So i used it to make a frame for a print I bought in the summer.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
That frame is classy for as simple as the design is …takes notes

Calidus posted:

Going to need a bigger lathe.

I don’t foresee myself ever getting into the spinny bits but who knows.

I cut a chunk out of my bench to get that old vise installed. Buried some carriage bolts under an oak insert for hammering on poo poo. Slipped a chunk of oak on the underside of the table as well.

I just need to plane it down to flush and I’ll be in business. I can clamp a piece of paper tight as hell with it so I guess things are aligned and flat enough.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Adhesive it is then, thanks. I assume that if I'm just going to be adhering one side face-down that I don't need to put polyurethane on that side, or should the entire piece of wood get coated?

Mr. Mambold posted:

Liquid nails and 1 1/2" screws or nails to hold it in place while the adhesive sets up. Countersink the screws, or use a nailer. Pin nailer might even work.

Appreciate the help but I don't know what any of these words mean lol. Probably going to wait to buy a nail gun until the next time I have a woodworking project of note.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

C-Euro posted:

Adhesive it is then, thanks. I assume that if I'm just going to be adhering one side face-down that I don't need to put polyurethane on that side, or should the entire piece of wood get coated?

Appreciate the help but I don't know what any of these words mean lol. Probably going to wait to buy a nail gun until the next time I have a woodworking project of note.

liquid nails is a brand of construction adhesive.

Countersink is to drill a V shaped hole at the top of the screw's pilot hole so that the head of the screw gets recessed (sunk) below the surface.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

no don't poly the bits you're gonna glue. Wood glue sticks to wood not so much to nonstick plastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
Shortly after I finished that frame I posted above I finished a pair of speaker stands and got my basement media centre all set up.