Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

infernal machines posted:

we call those startups, and even then they generally offer equity in lieu of pay.

The employer I was the most personally invested in was the one that I also had equity in. Surprise!

This actually should become more mainstream across all industries, not just because it's owning the means of production, but it also makes for employees who are quite engaged in making something successful.

The regulatory overhead for this is quite steep though, which generally restricts it only to larger corps who only offer it to senior management. A govt department that manages and streamlines the process for smaller businesses (and ensures that people aren't screwed out of their share) could probably work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Cool

https://mobile.twitter.com/CTVNews/status/1599003056103952386

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

This MAID stuff is really a horrible looking glass into what the upper crust think of us.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Let them eat death

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

my morning jackass posted:

You can’t keep your restaurant open cause people won’t work for min wage and you feel you can’t pay higher? Okay, then it’s not really a functional business anymore and needs to close.
This is what gets me the most about lots of small businesses. They complain that they can’t possibly compete unless they offer poo poo pay and or routinely violate labor laws. If that’s what your business needs to do in order to order to stay open then guess what, it’s not a viable business.

I’m reminded of a private company I, very briefly, worked for. I asked for a raise and presented my case but was told that things were extremely tough every where and they couldn’t possibly offer anyone raises or bonuses that year. At the company Christmas party a few weeks later, the owner tells all of us that we should be extremely proud because even though this year was really tough for everyone in our sector, the company was the only privately held one in this industry that was able to pay out dividends to its shareholders (the owner and his family) this year.

edit - lol I just remembered that it was at the same party that I was talking to the owner’s wife and I mentioned in passing that my grandparents immigrated from mainland Europe after WW1. She looked surprised and said that she didn’t realize I was “ethnic”.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 4, 2022

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

There was a bit during the pandemic where old people volunteered at a restaurant on the Sunshine Coast because they were short staffed. Volunteered. For a for-profit business.

Edit: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-retirees-volunteer-restaurant-1.6156832

ChickenDoodle fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 4, 2022

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

ChickenDoodle posted:

There was a bit during the pandemic where old people volunteered at a restaurant on the Sunshine Coast because they were short staffed. Volunteered. For a for-profit business.

Edit: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-retirees-volunteer-restaurant-1.6156832

Proof that communism will work

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
As someone who supported (and still does support) the availability of MAID in a legal fashion, I think it's really loving clear after the stories that have come out, that the Canadian implementation needs a complete re-write, because what's happening with it is abhorrent.

I've watched people die horrible, painful, undignified deaths in misery from conclusively terminal illnesses (late stage pancreatic cancer and that kind of poo poo) and not allowing people to end their life on their own terms in those situations, to gain... a few weeks or maybe a couple of months, spent in misery? That's not good, in my opinion. Ultimately, if people in that situation prefer to stick it out, they can and they should never be encouraged to seek MAID, but it should be an option if they choose to seek it.

It should never, ever be used as a convenience. That should not be an option. I would go so far as to say, it should never be offered to anyone unless they ask about it. Further, we should increase economic and medical/accessibility support for people with disabilities so that no one ever needs to consider MAID (or indeed any form of suicide) due to economic issues.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

PT6A posted:

As someone who supported (and still does support) the availability of MAID in a legal fashion, I think it's really loving clear after the stories that have come out, that the Canadian implementation needs a complete re-write, because what's happening with it is abhorrent.

I've watched people die horrible, painful, undignified deaths in misery from conclusively terminal illnesses (late stage pancreatic cancer and that kind of poo poo) and not allowing people to end their life on their own terms in those situations, to gain... a few weeks or maybe a couple of months, spent in misery? That's not good, in my opinion. Ultimately, if people in that situation prefer to stick it out, they can and they should never be encouraged to seek MAID, but it should be an option if they choose to seek it.

It should never, ever be used as a convenience. That should not be an option. I would go so far as to say, it should never be offered to anyone unless they ask about it. Further, we should increase economic and medical/accessibility support for people with disabilities so that no one ever needs to consider MAID (or indeed any form of suicide) due to economic issues.

I don’t understand how anyone who considers themselves to be a good person would even suggest someone kill themselves.

Aiding someone who has come to a decision based on last resort is one thing. But this feels like over worked and frustrated social workers promote this kind of thing as a solution to an economics problem because they are not empowered to help people properly.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I don’t understand how anyone who considers themselves to be a good person would even suggest someone kill themselves.

Aiding someone who has come to a decision based on last resort is one thing. But this feels like over worked and frustrated social workers promote this kind of thing as a solution to an economics problem because they are not empowered to help people properly.
I never would have thought this a few years ago, but in retrospect, outcomes like this are inevitable when you pair a sufficiently available MAID system with terrible support for the sick and disabled. In isolation, I support MAID for any sufficiently painful illness with poor prognosis (with most of the decision-making on what that means left to the individual, within reason, and with safeguards, etc). However, given how this is played out, I think it's better to restrict it to end-stage terminal illnessess. There's just too many perverse incentives to nudge it as a solution for the poor and sick.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I don't think it is really being promoted by people in good faith - for example, the link I posted seems to be related to a single employee going rogue. But I think the permissive rules around it compared to other countries make it inevitable that it will be offered, and perhaps accepted, in inappropriate situations, especially once it's available for mental illness.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm also weary of MAID for non-terminal extreme pain, given the entire solution to the opioid epidemic seems to be "restrict availability to people who need pain relief." Because it would be trivially manageable if we didn't treat people with severe chronic pain like they're doing something wrong by seeking drugs which effectively treat that pain.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

This is horrifying but OTOH we should consider offering assisted dying to all of the companies who "can't compete" if they have to pay a reasonable minimum wage.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Can I offer you a MAID in this trying time?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

COPE 27 posted:

I don't think it is really being promoted by people in good faith - for example, the link I posted seems to be related to a single employee going rogue. But I think the permissive rules around it compared to other countries make it inevitable that it will be offered, and perhaps accepted, in inappropriate situations, especially once it's available for mental illness.

I risk legal consequences if I suggest to mentally ill people that they should kill themselves. At the very least a social worker “going rogue” and even hinting at MAID should not be allowed to continue to work with vulnerable people.

I support MAID as I understood it to mean. Which is a thoughtful and compassionate end when the alternative is a painful and negligible quality of life based on sound medical advice with checks and balances.

Not just E/N threads in real life telling people “have you tried killing yourself over it?”

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013
How many people have got MAID? Is this a thing where the first stage of the funnel is very broad or, as some of the stories seem to be, a part of activism for those on disability programs?

Obviously there is the potential for terrible outcomes, but are they happening?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

folytopo posted:

How many people have got MAID? Is this a thing where the first stage of the funnel is very broad or, as some of the stories seem to be, a part of activism for those on disability programs?

Obviously there is the potential for terrible outcomes, but are they happening?

Hard to say. Here is the governments report for I believe 2021. They don’t out and say how many were offered this because of poverty but you can see the numbers of those who did or did not receive care. The report does specify that “receiving” care did not indicate its quality.

I would image the number is hidden somewhere in the “other” percentages where they don’t list specific illness or their deaths are not “reasonably foreseeable” which seems to be the mechanism that is driving this.

There are several cases easily google-able where, although the person did have a medical challenge, the underlying source for their choice to die was the economic burden of their disability which was the source of their lack of quality of life Not the challenge itself.

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/medical-assistance-dying/annual-report-2021.html#a4

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

My favourite part of Goodfellas was when Tommy gets MAID.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Danielle Smith is nuts lol.

https://twitter.com/carrietait/status/1599870520539123712?s=21

EDIT: And from talking to people who support the act in any way, it's basically all "Quebec does bad stupid poo poo too, why can't we?" No one actually defends the act on any level, it's just "well Quebec also did awful things [that they shouldn't be allowed to do] therefore we should do things like that too."

Sadly, it's difficult to argue against that so long as Quebec's malarky gets ignored, because as much as "well Quebec should also not get away with stupid poo poo" is a great point, it will inevitably lead to a discussion of why the federal government and media seem to focus less on that. I don't know that that's actually the case, but it's sure as hell the perception around here.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 5, 2022

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

PT6A posted:

Danielle Smith is nuts lol.

https://twitter.com/carrietait/status/1599870520539123712?s=21

EDIT: And from talking to people who support the act in any way, it's basically all "Quebec does bad stupid poo poo too, why can't we?" No one actually defends the act on any level, it's just "well Quebec also did awful things [that they shouldn't be allowed to do] therefore we should do things like that too."

Sadly, it's difficult to argue against that so long as Quebec's malarky gets ignored, because as much as "well Quebec should also not get away with stupid poo poo" is a great point, it will inevitably lead to a discussion of why the federal government and media seem to focus less on that. I don't know that that's actually the case, but it's sure as hell the perception around here.

People generally handwave Quebec's poo poo as "well they have a unique culture (French) from the rest of Canada". What unique culture does Alberta have?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
chuds

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Madkal posted:

People generally handwave Quebec's poo poo as "well they have a unique culture (French) from the rest of Canada". What unique culture does Alberta have?

Of course that's what they do, and in some cases that's a legitimate excuse, and in other cases it's just bullshit, and that's the point.

The restriction of the rights of non-Francophones in Quebec should not be allowed, the restriction of the rights of religious minorities should not be allowed, and the policies which favour Francophones in Quebec without diminishing the rights of non-Francophones, should be allowed in the interest of maintain Quebec as a culturally distinct society. It's not actually that difficult to draw a line in a sane place if you think about it for over three seconds.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Madkal posted:

Big bulls' balls
Mormons
Vulcan, AB

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The rich tapestry of eastern Europeans duped into living in what was mostly a wasteland by the Crown.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump. Too bad more Albertans don't follow the example of the noble Buffalo.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Sadly not unique to Alberta

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Madkal posted:

The God-given right to force your children to work unsupervised on your farm so they drown in corn kernels in a silo.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I think by now you can make the case that the fake alienation that Alberta rural voters feel is a unique and rich tradition.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

apatheticman posted:

I think by now you can make the case that the fake alienation that Alberta rural voters feel is a unique and rich tradition.

Their sense of persecution, alienation, and exploitation is a core facet of their identities and their communities, and cannot be challenged, lest they crumble away into the sort of sandy dirt you find by the side of the Number 2.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

apatheticman posted:

You say this, but demonstrably nothing unites CanPol like making fun of Alberta. So it's difficult to say the alienation is fake exactly.

Whiskey_Dick
Feb 10, 2009
It's legitimately the best province to live in if you ignore the dingbats and crazy politicians. The people are largely really decent, the assholes are just super loud.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Whiskey_Dick posted:

It's legitimately the best province to live in if you ignore the dingbats and crazy politicians. The people are largely really decent, the assholes are just super loud.

The cities are good, I like living here. I don't know why the sister-fuckers up in La Crete get a say in what happens to us, mind you... fix that problem, you've got a good province.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Whiskey_Dick posted:

I, too, enjoy ignoring the vile wretches making laws to make everyone's lives worse. They'll go away eventually and everything will be fine.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Whiskey_Dick posted:

The people are largely really decent, the assholes are just super loud.

That's also what people say where I live - a city that is full of racists and misogynists and homophobes

Whiskey_Dick
Feb 10, 2009

SilverMike posted:

I, too, enjoy ignoring the vile wretches making laws to make everyone's lives worse. They'll go away eventually and everything will be fine.

They actually will go away, and not eventually - very soon. The UCP won't be in power this time next year and whatever kooky laws Danielle Smith enacted will be repealed.

Whiskey_Dick
Feb 10, 2009

Bleck posted:

That's also what people say where I live - a city that is full of racists and misogynists and homophobes

Sounds like a lovely city. Toronto?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Madkal posted:

Truck nuts and gun nuts

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Whiskey_Dick posted:

Mos Eisley

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mos Eglinton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Whiskey_Dick posted:

You could name any city, town, or village in Canada and not be wrong.