Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ilmucche posted:

Just imagine if they'd been vintage cube. Mtgo duals are fully sick

it's a real weird choice of product for anyone buying them

Those also exist and have for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

Why would anyone buy copies of magic 30 instead of copies of alpha

Humiliation fetish
Bullied for playing with worst whale product in public and then for playing unmarked fakes

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Sickening posted:

Those also exist and have for years.

Well yeah, we've talked about them before. They're great as proxies. It's still a shame wizards didn't lean into that for magic 30 instead of this mess

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'd much rather people make obviously proxy badlands than fakes that can be confused for the ones I need in my deck.

That said if you're going to go that far just put your own art on it.
https://www.nps.gov/badl/index.htm National Park Duals when?

Sickening posted:

I think despite my crappy pictures, the the biggest giveaway is that the magic 30 should also be a sticker (or so i am told).
It's supposed to be foil too, right? Like when they used to stamp the dates on cards.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I'm always reading "sure, buy bootlegs, but be sure to mark the backs!" It is, after all, the only way to know for sure that they do not fall into the hands of an unwarned innocent if you are abruptly met with a hideous and untimely death.

But what is to be done when your bootlegs are still in the mail? Why, I could make a purchase one morning and then be mangled in a terrible industrial accident later on that very day, leaving my credulous heirs to receive the shipments, and my soul to languish in eternal torment. I can tell you, as my head was going last through a wood-chipper, it would certainly be the last thought going through my head.

Well, these babies right here come with a defaced card-back STRAIGHT from the factory- no moral hazard whatsoever! Can you put a price of that kind of peace of mind?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Eikre posted:

I'm always reading "sure, buy bootlegs, but be sure to mark the backs!" It is, after all, the only way to know for sure that they do not fall into the hands of an unwarned innocent if you are abruptly met with a hideous and untimely death.

But what is to be done when your bootlegs are still in the mail? Why, I could make a purchase one morning and then be mangled in a terrible industrial accident later on that very day, leaving my credulous heirs to receive the shipments, and my soul to languish in eternal torment. I can tell you, as my head was going last through a wood-chipper, it would certainly be the last thought going through my head.

Well, these babies right here come with a defaced card-back STRAIGHT from the factory- no moral hazard whatsoever! Can you put a price of that kind of peace of mind?

Your family probably could use the money to pay for your funeral.
If anything that makes it unethical to not, as a form of insurance, always have a batch of fakes on the way.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Making perfect fakes and putting them into circulation helps the people who need them to play magic by lowering prices. Perfect fakes only harm card hoarders and speculators.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Your family probably could use the money to pay for your funeral.
If anything that makes it unethical to not, as a form of insurance, always have a batch of fakes on the way.

Look, buddy, it is easier for a Louis-Vuitton knockoff bag to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for a pop-art collectable deceiver to enter the kingdom of heaven.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Rutibex posted:

Making perfect fakes and putting them into circulation helps the people who need them to play magic by lowering prices. Perfect fakes only harm card hoarders and speculators.

This

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

HootTheOwl posted:

I'd much rather people make obviously proxy badlands than fakes that can be confused for the ones I need in my deck.

That said if you're going to go that far just put your own art on it.
https://www.nps.gov/badl/index.htm National Park Duals when?

It's supposed to be foil too, right? Like when they used to stamp the dates on cards.

There were some excellent dual land proxies put out for the ELM that had photos of various places around europe

Maybe rehashing the ethics of counterfeiting for the nth time isn't a good idea?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiW74B5494s

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Magic30 is the worst product solely because it has made counterfeit chat a recurring theme in this thread every few days

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Kashuno posted:

Magic30 is the worst product solely because it has made counterfeit chat a recurring theme in this thread every few days

Especially because we nearly all agree the product itself is terrible

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
instead of buying copies of magic 30, buy 30 copies of magic

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

dragon enthusiast posted:

:hmmyes:
Buy Magick by Aleister Crowley and learn how to summon real demons

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Derailing M30 counterfeit/proxy chat to say I’m real excited because I got the foil Chrome Mox in my countdown kit. And yes it was curling straight out of the pack. But I’m a sucker for the old border stuff with the old foil Star on there.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

TotalHell posted:

Derailing M30 counterfeit/proxy chat to say I’m real excited because I got the foil Chrome Mox in my countdown kit. And yes it was curling straight out of the pack. But I’m a sucker for the old border stuff with the old foil Star on there.

The old border stuff, especially the artifacts, is some of the best decisions they have made. I buy every cheap retro frame card I might play I can’t help myself. They are undefeated.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Rutibex posted:

:hmmyes:
Buy Magick by Aleister Crowley and learn how to summon real demons

My practice of Egyptian sorcery has opened my eyes to the truth that all magic cards were actually originally printed thousands of years ago, and everything that Wizards prints is a proxy.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Eikre posted:

My practice of Egyptian sorcery has opened my eyes to the truth that all magic cards were actually originally printed thousands of years ago, and everything that Wizards prints is a proxy.

No that's yugioh

Eikre
May 2, 2009
No, yugioh is just what happens when you filter the true story through that japanese anime lens that also turns catholic nunnery into an after-school activity and king arthur into a big-tiddy blonde lady with whom you are forced by magical necessity to have sex.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Eikre posted:

No, yugioh is just what happens when you filter the true story through that japanese anime lens that also turns catholic nunnery into an after-school activity and king arthur into a big-tiddy blonde lady with whom you are forced by magical necessity to have sex.

Sir this is a Wendy’s drive thru, can I interest you in some proxy Baconators for the price of a Dave’s Single?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Just lol if you're not proxying OG duals by just taking the typed common duals that came out early this year and blacking out the "comes into play tapped" bit

Serf
May 5, 2011

Framboise posted:

Just lol if you're not proxying OG duals by just taking the typed common duals that came out early this year and blacking out the "comes into play tapped" bit

I was making some casual decks to play with my brother and decided why deal with taplands when we're just playing literal kitchen table Magic?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

dragon enthusiast posted:

Agreed, everyone should buy and read "Books of Magic" and bring back Vertigo Comics. :smith:

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Eikre posted:

King Arthur is actually pretty flat chested, unless you are talking about her alternative version who ascended to godhood via magical spear.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
congrats! You managed to find a worse derail than proxy chat

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i still think it'd be nice if mtgfinance and counterfeiting chat could get spun off to its own thread and leave this one to talk about gameplay. it clearly has enough interest to deserve its own thread, but it definitely also drowns out talk about anything else about the game over the last few months

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

flatluigi posted:

i still think it'd be nice if mtgfinance and counterfeiting chat could get spun off to its own thread and leave this one to talk about gameplay. it clearly has enough interest to deserve its own thread, but it definitely also drowns out talk about anything else about the game over the last few months

If you reduced the thread to the things just you wanted to talk about, the thread would be dead. Again, the problem is people who don't like certain topics or anything at all really, you can't help yourself and engage engage engage. Be the change you want to see.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sickening posted:

If you reduced the thread to the things just you wanted to talk about, the thread would be dead. Again, the problem is people who don't like certain topics or anything at all really, you can't help yourself and engage engage engage. Be the change you want to see.

i really don't think the thread would be dead if it didn't have finance/speculation/counterfeiting chat in it? the arena thread does fine without it, but it also doesn't get chat about paper-only sets that i'm interested in seeing discussion on. (fwiw i don't really know what you mean by 'be the change you want to see' b/c i've made a point of only talking about stuff i have an interest in recently, and a good amount of other people have been trying to post about things other than your current interest but it's (as i said) been kind of drowned out. )

like, i'm not even saying "people should stop talking about it," i'm saying that y'all care a whole hell of a lot about it and it might be served better as a dedicated thread? you could probably even see if you can get the rule about not posting where you're getting your counterfeits struck for that thread instead of needing to wink-nudge when you're promoting it here

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

flatluigi posted:

i really don't think the thread would be dead if it didn't have finance/speculation/counterfeiting chat in it? the arena thread does fine without it, but it also doesn't get chat about paper-only sets that i'm interested in seeing discussion on. (fwiw i don't really know what you mean by 'be the change you want to see' b/c i've made a point of only talking about stuff i have an interest in recently, and a good amount of other people have been trying to post about things other than your current interest but it's (as i said) been kind of drowned out. )

like, i'm not even saying "people should stop talking about it," i'm saying that y'all care a whole hell of a lot about it and it might be served better as a dedicated thread? you could probably even see if you can get the rule about not posting where you're getting your counterfeits struck for that thread instead of needing to wink-nudge when you're promoting it here

Again, exiling content you don't like to another thread never works. The drowning out (the people who can't help themselves) is the problem. The solution being going after the folks who post the thing they like instead of the folks who can't stop about the things they don't is just stinky.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 6, 2022

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

My local card shop is having a big pauper event in a little over a month, and I'm trying to figure out what I want to play for it. Cycling storm is fun but it feels like it just loses to itself too much, and with mono R prowess on the upswing I just don't think it's strong enough. Mono U tempo/serpent seems pretty good, and I have a lot of experience with tempo decks, which makes it tempting. Caw-Gate also seems like a great option - it's powerful and you have a lot of control over how the game plays out. I don't have much experience with it though. And of course, mono R prowess could be a good option for a longer event, so I can keep making decent plays while tired.

Anyone else play pauper and have thoughts?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Dominaria Remastered? What?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Dominaria Remastered? What?

Context

https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/making-magic/mastering-dominaria-remastered

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/StarCityGames/status/1600190950109741061

lol neverending products.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Thom Yorke raps posted:

My local card shop is having a big pauper event in a little over a month, and I'm trying to figure out what I want to play for it. Cycling storm is fun but it feels like it just loses to itself too much, and with mono R prowess on the upswing I just don't think it's strong enough. Mono U tempo/serpent seems pretty good, and I have a lot of experience with tempo decks, which makes it tempting. Caw-Gate also seems like a great option - it's powerful and you have a lot of control over how the game plays out. I don't have much experience with it though. And of course, mono R prowess could be a good option for a longer event, so I can keep making decent plays while tired.

Anyone else play pauper and have thoughts?

I've only gotten the chance to play Pauper a bit, but over the course of 8 or so games I never saw Cycle Storm lose. Any game it went into it won. I ran Dimir Ninjas, we've got a person on Kiln Fiend and another doing Mono Blue serpent and one other on Affinity. Cycle Storm is miserable to play against because the it just plays solitaire for 10 minutes and then you lose, but since it is non-deterministic they have to play it out each time. Kiln Field came close to winning once, but eventually the combo goes off and so far it hasn't failed.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I completely forgot that DMR was coming with all the other stuff lately. Still have high hopes that will be a good draft set.

e: Oh poo poo it has old frame basics including the best island art :eyepop:

Rahu fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 6, 2022

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Rahu posted:

I completely forgot that DMR was coming with all the other stuff lately. Still have high hopes that will be a good draft set.

e: Oh poo poo it has old frame basics including the best island art :eyepop:

Of all the swamps to pick, mountains too. Dang that sucks.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Nah those are good mountains.
The first swamp though and the second island suuuck.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Call me back when they print me more white-bordered cards, specifically basic lands. I've been scouring my collection for as many of them as I can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Also, this is the best swamp from Dominaria:

Also acceptable are these, which I have some Arena Promos when I want to play foils.