Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
That looks like a dog that demands all your apolstry be gray

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

a strange fowl posted:

iris "helping" me make my bed

heelers are just so damned cute.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

heelers are just so damned cute.

Hell yeah they are. I grew up having them and they are great.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

HootTheOwl posted:

That looks like a dog that demands all your apolstry be gray
lmao

it's like the wild west with tumbleweeds of hair constantly rolling around my house

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

these past few weeks have been a real test of character for iris. first we had a friend land on us unexpectedly for a fortnight, then family for five days - all of them unwell and/or physically frail and needing to be kept away from the dog in case she accidentally knocked them over. so all her routines went out the window, she went from being a 100% inside dog to always outside except at night, went from always having somebody with her to being left alone for hours at a time, and she's had a constant stream of strangers through her house. all of which she has handled with grace and good humour. life is returning to normal on tuesday and i am very much looking forward to being able to have her inside again. my baby blue :unsmith:

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 3, 2022

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

How the heck do I keep a 3.5 month old puppy with a great nose from eating unknown mushrooms in the yard?!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

How the heck do I keep a 3.5 month old puppy with a great nose from eating unknown mushrooms in the yard?!
You can't.
But
Mow the mushrooms and hold the leash with a stern No every time they go snuffling near mushrooms.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

How well do the inflatable donut style Elizabethan collars work?

My dog (45# pit mutt) just had her right hind leg amputated and has to be coned for a while. I can already tell it's going to cause some major problems. So far, she can't turn around in or get in and out of her kennel and can't get up stairs without being carried because the lip of the cone catches on the steps. We have no ground floor in our house, so getting outside to go to the bathroom always involves 14 steps no matter how we come or go from the house. I know we're going to be adjusting our lives around this for a while, and have to take her out to pee and poop for quite a while among other major adjustments. The big one is access to her kennel and the ability to maneuver around in it by herself. She needs to be able to get away from our other dog, and keeping them physically separated is not a real option.

So do those donut collars work to keep an extremely average shaped and sized dog with a very average neck and snout length out of a surgical site on the hip to tail area?

Sorry to hear about your girl :(

I had the same issue with Little Bear catching his hard plastic cone on things. This e-collar worked wonderfully (note the link goes to size small - you'll need at least large. LB is a 72 lb lab mix and we got the XL). It's also so much easier to get on and off.

Just make sure you don't run it through the dryer on high heat without thinking :v:

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 4, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Dango Bango posted:

Sorry to hear about your girl :(

I had the same issue with Little Bear catching his hard plastic cone on things. This e-collar worked wonderfully (note the link goes to size small - you'll need at least large. LB is a 72 lb lab mix and we got the XL). It's also so much easier to get on and off.

Just make sure you don't run it through the dryer on high heat without thinking :v:

Right on, thank you. I just assumed those were crap because they're soft, but after watching her for a couple days I think it might do the trick. She could actually have full ROM without getting caught on furniture so bad. A friend of mine has one I'm going to borrow.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's now a week and a half since I stopped giving Pavlov glucosamine supplements, and he's still suffering from allergies. Itchy throat, and every morning there's a big ol' eye booger about 10x bigger than usual in his eye. Poor dog :(

I've been reading that it can take up to two months for allergies to clear up once you stop feeding them the triggering substance. Bleh. I have him on generic Claritin, and it may be helping a little, but it's clearly not providing full relief.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s Christmas time everyone and time to put your pets in silly outfits. Train em young lol

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Hey internet, everyone meet Umbra, avatar of Anubis!

Despite her resting serious face she is a giant fuckin' goober.

Before anyone comments I am well aware she is severely underweight. I am feeding her as much as she will eat and giving her lots of treats and trying to beef her up.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dats a cute puppy!

You could also try adding goats milk to the food. It can really help put some weight on

https://www.greatpetcare.com/dog-nutrition/goats-milk-for-dogs-benefits-and-uses/

Trader Joe’s sells it too if you can’t find another good source.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Of course he's underweight, he can't weigh more than a feather!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Those are some very serious ears

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Gangringo posted:

Before anyone comments I am well aware she is severely underweight. I am feeding her as much as she will eat and giving her lots of treats and trying to beef her up.
holy poo poo what a dog :allears:

she honestly doesn't look all that underweight to me. how old is she? if she's still growing, she'll go through phases where she just uses all her body fat up overnight and wakes up in the morning looking like a xylophone, but that isn't necessarily unhealthy. she also looks like some sort of hound / shepherd mix, so naturally wiry.

a friend of mine told me iris was too underweight the other day, their dog looks like a gentle wine barrel on legs

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 6, 2022

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

a strange fowl posted:

holy poo poo what a dog :allears:

she honestly doesn't look all that underweight to me. how old is she? if she's still growing, she'll go through phases where she just uses all her body fat up overnight and wakes up in the morning looking like a xylophone, but that isn't necessarily unhealthy. she also looks like some sort of hound / shepherd mix, so naturally wiry.

a friend of mine told me iris was too underweight the other day, their dog looks like a gentle wine barrel on legs

The foster said they think she's about three years old. She was severely malnourished when they found her and she has put on some weight but she still has pronounced ribs and hip bones.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Of course he's underweight, he can't weigh more than a feather!

Only her heart.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gangringo posted:

Only her heart.

Good luck getting just the heart on the scale.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Gangringo posted:

The foster said they think she's about three years old. She was severely malnourished when they found her and she has put on some weight but she still has pronounced ribs and hip bones.

oh no :( sorry about that, i should have guessed you knew better than i did! wishing you and your new jackal all the best :h:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Gangringo posted:

Omg

Edit: that faaaaaaaaaaace :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

GSDs can be prone to exocrine pancreatic insufficiency so if she isn't gaining weight after you've had her for a while that's something you can ask your vet about. Hopefully she just needs some groceries for a while, she seems like a very good girl :3:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Gangringo posted:

That isn't Umbra, it's the Anti-Luca.

I'm gonna need you to stay 100mi away at all times.

:luca:

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 7, 2022

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

That's a rad dog! Thanks everyone for the info. She will eat one brand of kibble that her fosters were feeding her so I've just been putting a handful at a time into her bowl until she stops eating, then repeating after a few hours.

I'm starting to mix in some high calorie fresh food from a local producer and she is taking to it well.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

iris looks so grown up now, but a few nights ago she got herself tangled in the bedsheets while asleep and was so terrified that after i rescued her she was huddled up to me making squeaky baby noises

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 9, 2022

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

She's so cute and I love her :kimchi: My next one has got to be a blue.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Heartbreaking to see her this sad. Going to look into sterilization if she also has a long depression after her heat. This is her second and she's 1.5 years old.

Last time she was depressed after and carried around toys that she licked.

Anyone have any insights? Like how long is the recovery usually? Dreading trying to keep her calm for weeks.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Instant Jellyfish posted:

She's so cute and I love her :kimchi: My next one has got to be a blue.
people keep telling me "it's good you got a blue, the reds are vicious" and it makes me so sad. the reds aren't vicious! they're the same dog! i think people just treat them like they are, and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Sistergodiva posted:

Heartbreaking to see her this sad. Going to look into sterilization if she also has a long depression after her heat. This is her second and she's 1.5 years old.

Last time she was depressed after and carried around toys that she licked.

Anyone have any insights? Like how long is the recovery usually? Dreading trying to keep her calm for weeks.

Dog reproduction is weird so their hormones are almost entirely the same after a heat whether they are pregnant or not. It's completely normal for them to have some signs of a false pregnancy in the 63 days after ovulation, although the level and duration of symptoms is variable between dogs and heats. My show dog just had her 4th heat and this was the first time she full on started lactating. Yelling at her to stop licking her titties to get at the dog milk got really old. If your girl is really struggling with false pregnancies and you have no intentions of breeding her getting her spayed is a great way to eliminate them. Just make sure she is fully done with her false pregnancy first as getting spayed while those hormones are still going crazy can make them last longer.

The last girl I had spayed was mostly healed after the 1st week but I was instructed to keep her quiet for 2 weeks since it is major abdominal surgery. I had my dog done at a low cost spay/neuter clinic that does a million spays a day and the incision was super tiny so I probably could have been more relaxed about it but she was fine sleeping on the couch for 2 weeks. If your pup is super active and you're worried about her being absolutely wild during recovery you can ask your vet for sedatives to make it go smoothly. You can also look into laparoscopic surgery which is more expensive but is supposed to have a faster recovery time.

a strange fowl posted:

people keep telling me "it's good you got a blue, the reds are vicious" and it makes me so sad. the reds aren't vicious! they're the same dog! i think people just treat them like they are, and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I definitely joke about the reds being more spicy, but Scout actually has the sweetest temperament of any ACD I've met :kimchi: We're so often the only red or one of two reds at dog shows though. I'm biased but there's just something about a rich, clear red. So pretty!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Let Pongo out this morning at 5am as per usual and he took off towards the fence.

Then he started barking.

I threw on some sandals and headed out there, he was barking at a possum from like ten feet away. I suspect that because it looks cat-like and probably hissed like one that Pongo left it alone, he’s afraid of our cat lmao.

Good boy.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

devmd01 posted:

Let Pongo out this morning at 5am as per usual and he took off towards the fence.

Then he started barking.

I threw on some sandals and headed out there, he was barking at a possum from like ten feet away. I suspect that because it looks cat-like and probably hissed like one that Pongo left it alone, he’s afraid of our cat lmao.

Good boy.

Shown: my dog Pavlov, and a deer who absolutely understands how fences work.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I definitely joke about the reds being more spicy, but Scout actually has the sweetest temperament of any ACD I've met :kimchi: We're so often the only red or one of two reds at dog shows though. I'm biased but there's just something about a rich, clear red. So pretty!

scout is such a gorgeous dog. i love the reds too, and i've never met an aggressive one. the only snappy cattledogs i've known were blues, and sadly there were very obvious reasons why they were like that :smith: sometimes i think it's just the red colour is closer to the wild, so people subconsciously make assumptions based on that. their wildly expressive eyes seem to stand out more against the red background too, which might make them look a bit more unhinged, but crazy cattledog eyes are beautiful and i will fight anybody who disagrees.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How do you keep dogs from peeing on a rug? Our 3-year-old dog is generally really good at keeping her pee in — we recently had to do some traveling and she held it in for like 20 hours. And when she does need to do her business she almost always waits for us to bring her outdoors.

That, except when there’s a rug in the house. We don’t have a rug at home but when she’s in a different house that does have a rug, she seems to be uninhibited about peeing there. She doesn’t whine or beg to be taken outside like she usually would. She just goes for it.

I’ve read that vinegar keeps dogs from doing their business but obviously these aren’t our home so we can’t tamper with their rugs. I guess regular pee breaks might help, but like I mentioned it’s less about her needing to pee so much as she thinking rugs are a perfectly natural place to do it.

Any tips?

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

apparently talking gibberish at a dog is cringe now but I don't give a drat. she is a cubadoo, a hoobichoo, and occasionally even a big blue bubbalooby and if anybody has a problem with that they can also personally fight me

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

a strange fowl posted:

apparently talking gibberish at a dog is cringe now but I don't give a drat. she is a cubadoo, a hoobichoo, and occasionally even a big blue bubbalooby and if anybody has a problem with that they can also personally fight me

What rear end in a top hat told you this was cringe and not required by law?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Vegetable posted:

How do you keep dogs from peeing on a rug? Our 3-year-old dog is generally really good at keeping her pee in — we recently had to do some traveling and she held it in for like 20 hours. And when she does need to do her business she almost always waits for us to bring her outdoors.

That, except when there’s a rug in the house. We don’t have a rug at home but when she’s in a different house that does have a rug, she seems to be uninhibited about peeing there. She doesn’t whine or beg to be taken outside like she usually would. She just goes for it.

I’ve read that vinegar keeps dogs from doing their business but obviously these aren’t our home so we can’t tamper with their rugs. I guess regular pee breaks might help, but like I mentioned it’s less about her needing to pee so much as she thinking rugs are a perfectly natural place to do it.

Any tips?

Your dog appears to have been trained to do it on the rug. The rug probably has a texture close enough to outside, or different enough from floor to think it's ok. Maybe get a used rug from a dumpster knowing she will pee on it and just use it train her again not to.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

a strange fowl posted:

Silly dog talk is fine and good.

In my house it is customary to constantly sing silly songs about the dog to the dog.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

a strange fowl posted:

I mean I'll cut it down when I have people visiting but the NSA agent who's bugged my house probably thinks I'm a basket case

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
ba-a-a-by tater - -
tater is the baby - -
ba-a-a-by tater
baby tater is the tot - - -

tater wants to goooo tooo the dog paark
tater wants to have a real good time
dog dog dog dog dooog dog dog paark
dog park dog park dog park all the time

tater wants to goooo tooo the dog paark
tater wants to see his friends and play
every-one is goooing to the dog paark
tater's going to have a real good day

(I don't get to sing the latter one much any more since he's old, doesn't play and his friends long stopped showing up. He still likes walking there once or twice a week anyway.)

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I just sing popular standards and replace random words with dog.