Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Charliegrs posted:

I think I have a problem

I mean what am I supposed to do when the paint is curing on a model but paint another model?

Oh my sweet summer child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Charliegrs posted:

I think I have a problem

I mean what am I supposed to do when the paint is curing on a model but paint another model?

Ugh, not Porsche for dinner again. :hurr:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Oh hey, World of Wayne got a tour of airfix's manufacturing. And also for the unveiling of their 1/24th spitfire mk9 model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOdBfiFemyk

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Arquinsiel posted:

Stagger your work so that you're always at a different stage of each build?

This only works until you're at the point where I am at now, in which I've finished one kit and the two others are in their decal stage and about to be finished as well.

So I've finished schmitting a messer last night and here it is:

1:72 Revell boxing of the Zvezda snap-together kit. It's pretty decent but the decals have way too much carrier film, as there's only one decal option it feels a bit on the cheap side. At least you get the option of having a pilot figure in there, the seat comes in a pre-butted version with legs and a separate torso and arms, or an empty version.

It'll most likely also be the only Messerschmitt I'll ever build as the subject doesn't interest me enough and it's kind of a boring plane. I have yet to build a Spitfire for similar reasons.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I tend to use Tamiya black panel liner for weathering engines and suspension/chassis components on my car models. It works well, but it feels a bit too "heavy" I guess is the only way I can describe it. I'm looking for something "lighter" as a wash. Like something I can just slather on the engine to make it look used, but not overly oily. Maybe I should try thinning the panel liner with mineral spirits? Or maybe I should try thinning some Vallejo black paint down heavily with water and brushing it on? The military modelers seem to be master of weathering and this thread is pretty military heavy so I thought this would be a good place to ask.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Nothing says oil quite like oil paints, tbh. You can pick up a black and a burnt umber and mix your own grime with some thinner for pretty cheap, or you can get some oil brushers if that sounds like a pain in the rear end.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Seconding oil. A tube of black and brown oil paint plus a small bottle of odourless solvent will last you ages. Note that cheap black oil paint is not great, since it might actually be very dark blue or dark green instead.

If you're not sure about mixing your own, Ammo by Mig makes oilbrusher sets where you can do streaking, filters, etc. out of the box with no hassle.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

there's also different panel liner colors, specifically grey and brown might help with the black being too much

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

My go-to for weathering engines, wheel bays etc to make the details pop is Games Workshop/Citadel's Nuln Oil (not actually oil-based, it's a water-based wash). It's really easy to clean up too. I have recently bought a bunch of AK's enamel-based engine weathering washes though, so I'm going to give them a try soon.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Seconding the nuln oil. I use it for panel lining too.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

Stagger your work so that you're always at a different stage of each build?

I made a video a couple years ago showing how to diagram the instructions to build models in a non-linear order to help with efficiency. It is a little dry, but I hope people can get some useful information from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw-IQWv8N5o

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SkunkDuster posted:

I made a video a couple years ago showing how to diagram the instructions to build models in a non-linear order to help with efficiency. It is a little dry, but I hope people can get some useful information from it.

It's a good video.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

tidal wave emulator posted:

My go-to for weathering engines, wheel bays etc to make the details pop is Games Workshop/Citadel's Nuln Oil (not actually oil-based, it's a water-based wash). It's really easy to clean up too. I have recently bought a bunch of AK's enamel-based engine weathering washes though, so I'm going to give them a try soon.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Hang on, it's good but it's no Devlan Miracle.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
I'm just getting into the hobby again. My last kit was the a Tamiya tank kit about 20 years ago when I was a teenager.

I have a a couple of armor and figure kits on order and I have started looking for paint and it is totally overwhelming.

My only experience has been huffing the small metal Humbrol bottles and old Citadel paints.
My instinct is to stock up on a selection of Tamiya acrylic paints and thinners and look in my local art store for good brushes and some basic oils for weathering. I also have a decent airbrush but would be using one for the first time.

If YouTube is to be believed, varnish appears to be essential, both glossy while working and weathering and then matt for finishing. Any recommendations on what to use?

Is it a good idea to stick within a brand for consistency or is that just marketing huff?

My budget is not super tight but I want to realize the best value and not looking to dive in with products that are unnecessarily frustrating to use. Looking to dive in head first but avoid the biggest rocks. Thanks!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Varnish is a must. At the very least, you want to apply decals to a glossy surface and then finish off with a matte overall. I found AK Ultra Matte Varnish to be the best, but others are pretty good too.

Sticking with a brand is not as important as sticking with a base. For instance, Tamiya acrylics are lacquer based and will need a different thinner than Vallejo acrylics that are water based. I have a pretty big selection of water based acrylics from different brands and never had issues.

If you've been out of the hobby for a while, you're probably going to want to focus on just getting a nice even coat of primer/paint on your tank and then play with colour modulation once you get the hang of that. After that, a simple brown wash is going to bring out a lot of details. Once you get that down, move on to fancier weathering techniques.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Sticking with a brand is not as important as sticking with a base. For instance, Tamiya acrylics are lacquer based and will need a different thinner than Vallejo acrylics that are water based. I have a pretty big selection of water based acrylics from different brands and never had issues.

Ok, that is very good information! Did not know that. The Tamiya paint seems to have a very good reputation so maybe their paints would make good bases and maybe weather and detail paint with water based like Vallejo (and the mig products seem popular and in the right colors?

Does the type of primer matter much? I have been leaving towards a bottle of the black and grey "Vallejo surface primer".

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I bought a big bottle of Vallejo black, for some reason I had a terrible experience with it. Really runny, goes on translucent, takes ages to dry. No idea why, every other colour of theirs I've bought is fine.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

therunningman posted:

Ok, that is very good information! Did not know that. The Tamiya paint seems to have a very good reputation so maybe their paints would make good bases and maybe weather and detail paint with water based like Vallejo (and the mig products seem popular and in the right colors?

Does the type of primer matter much? I have been leaving towards a bottle of the black and grey "Vallejo surface primer".

Tamiya paints are super great for airbrushing. I thin it with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner and it sprays really well at 15-18psi. For brush painting, it's less than ideal, but is workable.

The type of primer isn't as important. Vallejo primer is okay, but not great. I used it a lot when I got back into the hobby a few years ago, but have since migrated to Mr. Surfacer 1500 thinned with the above leveling thinner. Vallejo primers are vinyl acrylics like their paints, so they cover well, but they don't sand well. They tend to roll into little "sausages" (for lack of better terms) instead of sanding smoothly.

Anyhoo, welcome back to the hobby. :) We've got a lot of great people in this thread. No questions are stupid, so feel free to ask anything you're curious of.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

Gewehr 43 posted:

Anyhoo, welcome back to the hobby. :) We've got a lot of great people in this thread. No questions are stupid, so feel free to ask anything you're curious of.

Thanks! I have put in an order for some various supplies. I think it will be a matter of testing things and finding what I like best.
I'm excited to get back into it.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

therunningman posted:

Tamiya primers in the rattle cans are awesome. They sand really well too. Unfortunately they don't make one in black.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
I distinctly recall painting a kit with a Tamiya rattle can back in the day thinking "this is awesome". Good to know rattle cans is a good option!

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

therunningman posted:

Despite my affinity for Vallejo's paint, their primer leaves alot to be desired. Thinning with a bit of IPA helps but as others said it does not like to "feather" when sanded.
Badger's STYNYLREZ is however a near perfect acrylic primer and has become my go to unless I'm using canned Tamiya primer.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

So my cat stole the canopy of the Mosquito I was working on. I've got the drat thing finished except for the matte coat, too.

How interchangeable do third party vacuum-formed canopies tend to be? It looks like there's a lot of options out there for the Mattel and Airfix kits, not so much for the Tamiya I'm picking at.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I hate to say it, but I would not expect any vacuform part to be a drop in replacement for any kit. The couple I've looked at are only replacements in the vaguest sense. Check eBay for a replacement of the sprue you need and to see how much you can get for the cat.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

grassy gnoll posted:

So my cat stole the canopy of the Mosquito I was working on. I've got the drat thing finished except for the matte coat, too.

How interchangeable do third party vacuum-formed canopies tend to be? It looks like there's a lot of options out there for the Mattel and Airfix kits, not so much for the Tamiya I'm picking at.

negotiate with the cat

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ChubbyChecker posted:

negotiate with the cat

She can have my basement mice as ransom for the part

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Tamiya will ship replacement parts iirc, try dropping them an email.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
This is the airbrush I have. I picked it up used some time ago.
The air trigger is a bit sticky so I disassembled it and found paint in the valve. Most likely acrylic paint as there was a small kit of "Comart* paint included.

Can I leave it, and other parts, soaking in isopropyl or do I risk damaging anything?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Tamiya will ship replacement parts iirc, try dropping them an email.

Did that first, sadly. No copies of that sprue available. They'll sell me another kit for retail, which I guess is technically better than nothing.

I'll put the thing in a box and the second I forget about it the part will materialize dead center on my desk.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

I'll put the thing in a box and the second I forget about it the part will materialize dead center on my desk.

This is the way.

You may also want to follow your cat around for a couple of days...

therunningman posted:

Can I leave it, and other parts, soaking in isopropyl or do I risk damaging anything?

You've got a rubber seal on there, so probably.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Rubber seals don't do well suspended in thinner. You might be better off applying some paint remover carefully to the metal parts and scrubbing with a toothpick.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I found the loving piece, after literally every other option failed me and I put the thing in storage, as I knew would happen.

This felt a little bit like impostor syndrome to be able to just do a couple light coats of blue and call basing and shading done. I think this might be the first twin-engine plane I've built since I was a kid.

What really surprised me about this kit, barring my disappearing canopy, is the fitting issues. I'm used to Tamiya kits being simple and well-engineered enough to basically shake the box and get a completed model out the other side. This needed a fair amount of filling on the interior engine nacelles, really needed more filling along the leading edges and the center fuselage, and hoo boy those wings would not stay on until I resurfaced the entire connecting edge. Win some, lose some, I guess.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I知 about to embark on a project with a fair amount of PE.

I have a bender, what else should I look at? I知 near the hobby store tomorrow so I壇 like to take the opportunity.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
a roller and a torch to anneal the photo etch before bending/rolling it

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Rubber seals don't do well suspended in thinner. You might be better off applying some paint remover carefully to the metal parts and scrubbing with a toothpick.

Good to know, I'll be more careful and not leave it soaking.

Also, great Mosquito! Is the all blue a historical scheme?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

grassy gnoll posted:

I found the loving piece, after literally every other option failed me and I put the thing in storage, as I knew would happen.

This felt a little bit like impostor syndrome to be able to just do a couple light coats of blue and call basing and shading done. I think this might be the first twin-engine plane I've built since I was a kid.

What really surprised me about this kit, barring my disappearing canopy, is the fitting issues. I'm used to Tamiya kits being simple and well-engineered enough to basically shake the box and get a completed model out the other side. This needed a fair amount of filling on the interior engine nacelles, really needed more filling along the leading edges and the center fuselage, and hoo boy those wings would not stay on until I resurfaced the entire connecting edge. Win some, lose some, I guess.

Depending on the boxing, the tooling could be from the late 90's. Not as bad as some Revell kits that are still in production, but old enough. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-89786-havilland-mosquito-nf-mkii--140731

In any case, I'm glad you found the canopy.

FrozenVent posted:

I have a bender, what else should I look at? I知 near the hobby store tomorrow so I壇 like to take the opportunity.

Superglue in various viscosities and, for the liquid stuff, a glue looper - though you may not find it at the local hobby store. I don't think you need a torch, I anneal with a standard cigarette lighter and it's never failed me. I'm assuming you have something to cut the PE on like a piece of plexiglass or something? I bought this a few years ago and it's pretty great. Required? No, but definitely helpful. A good set of precision scissors are helpful too.

Mind you, none of the above is required, but if you've got a bending jig already and are looking to improve your quality of life when working with PE, stuff like above can be very helpful.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

a pair of kneepads cos you're gonna be spending a lot of time crawling about on the floor looking for a 0.2mm piece of etch that just pinged off into the ether

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

tidal wave emulator posted:

a pair of kneepads cos you're gonna be spending a lot of time crawling about on the floor looking for a 0.2mm piece of etch that just pinged off into the ether

Or a big clear plastic bag you can work in to get the tiny parts off the sprue. Not my idea, it might have been suggested in this very thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

I’m about to embark on a project with a fair amount of PE.

I have a bender, what else should I look at? I’m near the hobby store tomorrow so I’d like to take the opportunity.

I have a Tamiya diamond filer that works really well for grinding down the burs on the PE that you get when you cut them off from the sprue. So you might want to look into something like that too.