Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MorningMoon posted:

according to the rules

Strictly following the rules in a pirate card game.:eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

The One Piece card game is out in English and someone in one of my Discord servers posted Yamato's card and it's very funny that you have to legally call him Kozuki Oden

Looking at the website for it, this seems to be a one piece only CCG.

it seems to be like, mono colour only MTG commander as far as what you can build / play with...and there's "location" cards which seem to affect other things like the thousand sunny, so there must be some cards that affects kozuki oden specifically.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Meme Emulator posted:

I never delved too deep into this game, does that suggest that there are cards that will only work if specific characters are in play? Is this an LCG or a traditional CCG?

If it's anything like Yu-Gi-Oh, then it's a way to have more "Kozuki Oden" cards in your deck for more consistent support use or without running into a duplicate clause that I assume this game has.

It's like how there's a dozen differently named Harpie monsters but they're all treated as "Harpie Lady" so there's consistent synergy with support cards.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

In Yugioh if a card is <Always treated as X>, you're still limited to 3 in your deck.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

TaurusOxford posted:

If it's anything like Yu-Gi-Oh, then it's a way to have more "Kozuki Oden" cards in your deck for more consistent support use or without running into a duplicate clause that I assume this game has.

It's like how there's a dozen differently named Harpie monsters but they're all treated as "Harpie Lady" so there's consistent synergy with support cards.

This is literally the basis for the skull servant deck in Yugioh. There's a monster called King of the Skull Servants and its attack power is the number of monsters named "Skull Servant" in your graveyard x1000. There's also a ton of skeletons who have the effect of "this monster's name is "Skull Servant" when in your graveyard". so you just send like 8 of those to the graveyard and now have one of the strongest monsters in the game. But since its a 1-star monster with a base attack is like 100, it gets past a lot of monster effects that typically destroy powerful monsters because a lot of those target base attack power above certain levels or high level monsters.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The quick and dirty scans are out, though I'd probably wait for a better translation for this one since there's quite a bit of important dialogue in it

https://coloredmanga.com/manhwa/onepiecescanlationsz/chapter-1069/

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I'll never read the quick and dirty scans.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kild posted:

I'll never read the quick and dirty scans.

:yeah:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

i will read the quick & dirty scans and then the better scans and then the official release

also jesus we're just really getting all the goods now huh wowza

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

fuckin knew this panel was insanely important

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
guess Luffy can just go Gear 5 whenever, wouldn’t make sense for the freedom based form to have too many restrictions

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

anime was right posted:

fuckin knew this panel was insanely important

gently caress yes

Devil fruits really are spiral power

The collective will of people wishing for freedom is manifesting in Luffy

I love it

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

MADS boat is really cute.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

hatty posted:

guess Luffy can just go Gear 5 whenever, wouldn’t make sense for the freedom based form to have too many restrictions

It does make sense, although if he's already mastered the transformation then that does seem to be the end of the usefulness of the prior Gears. Looking like Gear 5 is gonna be the new default form.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

TaurusOxford posted:

It does make sense, although if he's already mastered the transformation then that does seem to be the end of the usefulness of the prior Gears. Looking like Gear 5 is gonna be the new default form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzItS5BmUNw

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
well this has a lot of additional context

luffy strong because people believe in him :)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That translation is good enough not to skip IMO.

It really is all go now, the cat's out of the bag and Im/the Elder Stars are going to be racing to stop the Straw Hats as soon as they escape from Egghead with Vegapunk.

And to think, we still don't know what the One Piece is and at this point I can barely hazard a guess.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

gently caress yes

Devil fruits really are spiral power

The collective will of people wishing for freedom is manifesting in Luffy

I love it

I really like how it dovetails in with all the other inherited wills themes too. Luffy is an incredibly creative martial artist, but he has that power backed up and amplified by the wishes of people all over the world whereas many of the other characters we see are carrying on the passions of their parents or mentors. Also it's not in like some hacky spirit bomb type deal. I assume that if Luffy for whatever reason experienced a personality shift and turned into another tyrant, that force multiplier would either vanish or be greatly diminished. It would be really easy to write it as just another Chosen One trope, but it works here for me because it's specifically several things coming together in the right time and place.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

And since Luffy himself tends to inspire people, especially the longer he fights and never gives up, it turns into a feedback loop

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I've read this week's OP twice now. Spoilers last night, fast translation today, and I will read it twice more.

OP Good.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

luffy is literally a god powered by faith lmao gently caress yes

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

So what does this mean?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nice

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Which one of you perverts willed the Jacket devil fruit into existence

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Scholtz posted:

So what does this mean?

Nice

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Scholtz posted:

So what does this mean?

https://twitter.com/newworldartur/status/1600245436098306050

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Eh, once a fortnight could be worse.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Okay yeah I saw that earlier, so it means "One Piece will not be weekly until mid-late January" meaning it will be releasing every other week until then?

I guess I just wasn't interpreting "Serialization" correctly

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 7, 2022

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Although looking at that schedule, there'll probably be another break week after 1072.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
So do all awakened zoan fruit users get a super cool outfit built into their fruit.

Not that I’m complaining.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
A lot of people online seem to think Kizaru is going to be mad at Lucci for attacking his nephew, Sentomaru. I'm assuming this is because somebody translated aniki directly or something? Doesn't sound like what's gonna happen to me.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

my parents boyfriend posted:

A lot of people online seem to think Kizaru is going to be mad at Lucci for attacking his nephew, Sentomaru. I'm assuming this is because somebody translated aniki directly or something? Doesn't sound like what's gonna happen to me.

It's a recurring problem in translations. The old translations - and therefore the colored scans - translated "oji-san", the typical disrespecful term people use to refer to people older than them - as "Uncle" when Sentomaru interacted with Kizaru on Sabaody, when "Old man" is probably the closest term for Sentomaru's meaning. It was even part of the evidence fans used to speculate that Kizaru was Vegapunk. Therefore a lot of people will probably think they're actually uncle and nephew and mention that a lot on Twitter. Though if they do turn out to be related, I'd find that pretty fun, since it gives both characters more depth and provides Kizaru an angle to know Ryuo.

Anyways, in non-spoiler discussion, what's Sentomaru supposed to be a reference to? A specific kind of sumo wrestler?

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 7, 2022

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Delphisage posted:

It's a recurring problem in translations. The old translations - and therefore the colored scans - translated "oji-san", the typical disrespecful term people use to refer to people older than them - as "Uncle" when Sentomaru interacted with Kizaru on Sabaody, when "Old man" is probably the closest term for Sentomaru's meaning. It was even part of the evidence fans used to speculate that Kizaru was Vegapunk. Therefore a lot of people will probably think they're actually uncle and nephew and mention that a lot on Twitter. Though if they do turn out to be related, I'd find that pretty fun, since it gives both characters more depth and provides Kizaru an angle to know Ryuo.

Anyways, in non-spoiler discussion, what's Sentomaru supposed to be a reference to? A specific kind of sumo wrestler?

Kintaro

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kintar%C5%8D

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Hah, "sumo wrestles with bears" getting re-applied as "bear wrangler". That's pretty neat.

Now I'm gonna rewatch all of Sabaody.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Weekly Shonen Jump starts their publication year in December. This week's issue is issue 1 of 2023, so issue 3-4 will be the week after next.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Good, Oda should get breaks.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Depending on the official translation of Vegapunk's devil fruit theory, it's pretty drat close to what I theorized back when we got Gear 5. Devil Fruits are the manifestations of "concepts". If enough people believe and wish for a Sun God, it will exist as a DF.

also i was thinking Lucci could be awakened but I didnt expect the same weird cloud thing! Whats going on! I thought that was a Sun God thing, not an awakening thing!

mabels big day fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 7, 2022

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

mabels big day posted:

also i was thinking Lucci could be awakened but I didnt expect the same weird cloud thing! Whats going on! I thought that was a Sun God thing, not an awakening thing!

It's weird bc the Impel Down Jailors didn't had that at all!

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

mabels big day posted:

Depending on the official translation of Vegapunk's devil fruit theory, it's pretty drat close to what I theorized back when we got Gear 5. Devil Fruits are the manifestations of "concepts". If enough people believe and wish for a Sun God, it will exist as a DF.

Take away the word Fruit and you have the premise of Chainsaw Man.

I power the One Piece Break Week Devil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Plutonis posted:

It's weird bc the Impel Down Jailors didn't had that at all!

I'm mostly leaning on this merely being the stylistic flourish for how the Awakened Tiger Zoan looks, but it's also possible Oda wants to re-establish Lucci as Luffy's antithesis - and make him stronger than Who's Who - by retconning Lucci's fruit. I don't think that's likely, though, since Akainu is still around, undefeated and having a far more personal grudge for Luffy to hold against him.