Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Fishstick posted:

Don't bother dodging muties before they're like half a second away from grabbing you, because they will correct. Position yourself so you know who the mutie target is, and if it's you, think toreador and wait for the last moment to dodge.

Dogs are a crapshoot. Most of the time if you melee or push them during or just before the leap you can just browbeat them, but then other times they'll go all non-euclidian and run through you before they leap at you from behind or some other Warp nonsense.

I like to pretend I'm a bullfighter when dodging a mutie. I just stare them down and dodge at the last second. I did the challenge for zealot where you charge at a charger and that taught me how they work so now they're fun to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I can handle muties. It's successfully dodging or pushing the drat dogs that give me fits.

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah
One of the reasons I haven't switched off my surge staff is that it will interrupt and briefly stun a dog or mutant before they are close enough to do anything. Once that happens, they are immediately killed by teammates.

The utility is just so good, I can't quit it.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Really wish we didn't have to reload the Mourning Star every time we switch character.

Just toss it onto the pile.

its nuts we can't switch character on the mission ready-up screen. like cool i have no idea what anyone's going to be and we're all zealots with flamethrowers

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

DyneAvenger posted:

One of the reasons I haven't switched off my surge staff is that it will interrupt and briefly stun a dog or mutant before they are close enough to do anything. Once that happens, they are immediately killed by teammates.

Yeah, after running only Voidstrike for a long while I'm coming back around on the Surge staff. The stun is really handy against specials, and it's also quite useful against shooter patrols that tend to be too spread out to easily kill with a voidstrike explosion. I just wish it was a little more obvious which enemies got killed and which still need another roasting.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Landing Force Sword weak spot kills with the warp charge is very satisfying. That is all.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
using the force sword push on leaping doggos then cutting their heads off makes me feel like a pro gamer

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Floppychop posted:

Got this bolter as an Emperor's gift. It's not a god roll, but I'm plenty happy with it.

I'd still be on the lookout for a Bolter with the Shattering Impact blessing, it makes a massive difference in how many shots it takes to take down armored targets. With +3 rending it straight up halves the amount it takes to kill Crushers for example.

Victory Position posted:

I've got an 84-round Infantry Lasgun and a 15-round Boltgun, but no reason to use the revolver that feels really good to shoot and use :(

The animation is cool and all, but completely out of place if the Boltgun can do it twice as good and nearly three times as much.
They're really fun to use but that tiny ammo count is awful. It's especially dumb when compared to the Kantrael XII, which does more damage per shot, shoots faster and has way, way more ammo at the cost of a somewhat slower (but still fast enough) draw speed.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

DyneAvenger posted:

Being able to switch with very little animation, queue up a right charge and instantly stun any enemy at any range with no ammo is so clutch.

The only weapon even close is the ogryns grenade, which is pretty good at knocking stuff down.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Playing zealot, found this as a blue in the shop with rampage and +carapace dmg. Decided to take it to orange since it was pretty high base item.

Think I still prefer this combat knife for its spammier attacks and consistent crits. No idea what the rending effect is, tried playing around in the meatgrinder and couldn't tell much.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Exodee posted:

I'd still be on the lookout for a Bolter with the Shattering Impact blessing, it makes a massive difference in how many shots it takes to take down armored targets. With +3 rending it straight up halves the amount it takes to kill Crushers for example.

This game is certainly in the "beggars can't be choosers" category when talking about weapon drops. It's a loving drip-feed and the chance of getting a weapon with decent stats and just one of the blessings you want is nigh impossible.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just crashed for the second time within the span of an hour. It's kind of starting to piss me off, seems worse than before.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I think once we get the other crafting functions released it'll alleviate the store stuff. Given the names of the unused options we'll be able to change and upgrade the stats, perks, and blessings of a weapon. Even if you still can't purposefully make a specific weapon being able to change its stat distribution should help a lot.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

There's going to be a lot of people done with this game by the time they finally manage to put crafting in, lol. I feel like I'm getting close to it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm not surprised, by the time you hit 30 you've achieved most of the content and now if you're after new stuff, you're either running damnation for the challenge, checking the shop every hour (why, the game isn't hard enough to justify this) or getting the challenges.

I'm gonna wait until crafting is in properly, then i'm gonna keep leveling the big boy. That heavy stubber is a thing of beauty + I never fail to laugh when I bean some poor gently caress with the grenade box.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I think I'm actually gonna shelve this until a content drop. There isn't much of an endgame right now, and the repetitiveness of the maps is getting to me.

Fun while it lasted for now though, and I'm hoping they add something like the chaos wastes DLC in Vermintide to this somewhere down the line.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

explosivo posted:

There's going to be a lot of people done with this game by the time they finally manage to put crafting in, lol. I feel like I'm getting close to it.

The fact they only released on pc and not on console was a clue. This is a disguised EA, by the time it's released on consoles (with crafting, without less bugs, and maybe with a new map) it will be the real 1.0.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Got a very enjoyable 30 hours out of my Veteran, looking forward to the first real season when I'll level Zealot, definitely feel done for now.,

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgz8hvLEjZo

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Yeah I like the game but I think I've wrung as much enjoyment as I'll get out of it in its current state. I'll still play when friends are on but otherwise I'm probably gonna keep vermin'

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I got my Veteran to 30 in 25 hours and I guess I can mop up the handful of penances I have left on him and move on to another class?

Kind of echoing what others have said. Without the complete crafting system I don't feel like I have much to do once I hit level cap.

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah
I just get worn down by so much of the game just being RNG.

I have a random selection of contracts to complete so I go pick from a random selection of available missions. I might get a random reward from the emperor or I can go to the store and look at the random selection of weapons for sale. Those random weapons have random stats and random perks. If I complete enough random contracts, though, I can use special money to buy better random weapons from a smaller list. Or I can use that money to buy an EXTRA random item that are a mystery. I can then take my random weapons to the upgrade shop and hope my new random perk is one of the good ones.

It's... a lot

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i haven't even gotten any single character to 30 yet and it's already feeling a bit samey, but i'm going to probably keep chugging along until everyone's 30 at least just so i'll be "ready" for whatever comes down the pipe. not even going to sweat the gun grind though that way lies madness

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Would have liked more bosses. I like bosses. There are almost none in this game :(:

There's the plague ogryn, the beast of nurgle and that guy with the force shield at the end of the map, right? Would have liked a looooot more of those unique encounters

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I would be very surprised if chaos spawn wasn't added to the game later down in the line. They just need to use the Vermintide 2 stuff and hell it was showed off in the cinematic intro.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Zzulu posted:

Would have liked more bosses. I like bosses. There are almost none in this game :(:

There's the plague ogryn, the beast of nurgle and that guy with the force shield at the end of the map, right? Would have liked a looooot more of those unique encounters

It’s especially weird that they teased Chaos Spawn and then it never materialized. They’d barely even have to change anything mechanically for it from VT2!

Aryoc
Nov 27, 2006

:black101: Goblin King :black101:
Grimey Drawer

skaianDestiny posted:

I think once we get the other crafting functions released it'll alleviate the store stuff. Given the names of the unused options we'll be able to change and upgrade the stats, perks, and blessings of a weapon. Even if you still can't purposefully make a specific weapon being able to change its stat distribution should help a lot.

Crafting will only allow changing blessings and perks. The various options are for removing, combining and replacing blessings, and changing perks (to another random perk). Stats will remain what they are.

https://forums.fatsharkgames.com/t/dev-blog-crafting-in-darktide/60556

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

DyneAvenger posted:

I just get worn down by so much of the game just being RNG.

I have a random selection of contracts to complete so I go pick from a random selection of available missions. I might get a random reward from the emperor or I can go to the store and look at the random selection of weapons for sale. Those random weapons have random stats and random perks. If I complete enough random contracts, though, I can use special money to buy better random weapons from a smaller list. Or I can use that money to buy an EXTRA random item that are a mystery. I can then take my random weapons to the upgrade shop and hope my new random perk is one of the good ones.

It's... a lot

They've also repeated the Vermintide phenomenon of certain perks being good to the point they're a must have or substantially change how the weapon works and plays. The range of potential outcomes is 2% power on elite kill or something to, rending or vent on kill or deflector

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Zzulu posted:

My roughly lore appropriate wishlist (aka there's a feasible chance that 4 idiots could kill one of these):
Bloat Drone https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Death-Guard-Foetid-Bloat-drone-2020
Horticulous Slimux https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Horticulous-Slimux-2018
Sloppity Bilepiper https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Sloppity-Bilepiper-Herald-Of-Nurgle-2018
Poxbringer https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Poxbringer-Herald-Of-Nurgle-2018
Blight-hauler https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Etb-Death-Guard-Myphitic-Blight-hauler-2020

My lore inappropriate wishlist:
Defiler https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Chaos-Space-Marines-Defiler
Soul Grinder https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Soul-Grinder
Helbrute https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Helbrute
Plagueburst Crawler https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Death-Guard-Plagueburst-Crawler-2020
A single plague marine https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Death-Guard-Plague-Marines-2020

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Agreed that the lack of content is what's going to hurt the game in the short to medium term, especially if adding classes/maps is going to be paid DLC. There's what? Eight maps total in right now? Most live service games have more than four hours worth of different content/biomes.

Vermintide on launch had three separate four-mission acts, with the last mission of each act being a unique sort of boss fight encounter, then a one-mission finale act that was another signature boss fight. The assassination missions in DT barely count as different bosses, the slight change in gear doesn't really fundamentally change the strategy, plus it's always in the same two arenas.

Sucks because the bones of the game are really solid, but the monetization and metagame grind plus lack of content means it's hard to see myself playing more than getting one character or two to level 30

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

sloppity bilepiper is my nickname for my... nevermind

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

They could always have the plague marine already wounded from fighting a hundred militarum or some other wizard-did-it excuse to get anything in there. Personally I am hoping we get to fight Punished Bardin after he fell through a time portal and started blending his way through the city. Fight ends with him jumping into another time portal with troll stew on the other side

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
ngl pretty underwhelming so far: https://forums.fatsharkgames.com/t/community-update-5-week-2/67057

But I think I'll hold judgment until we get more info next week.

edit: I was really hoping they would mention anything about the time-gated weapon shop which is my biggest sore point with the game. Even more than the lack of content.

Pigbottom fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 8, 2022

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The 4 characters could definitely murder a single plague marine but what we really need is nurglings

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the bullying for a rock and stone button is working keep it up

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Pigbottom posted:

ngl pretty underwhelming so far: https://forums.fatsharkgames.com/t/community-update-5-week-2/67057

The extremely slow crafting rollout looks pretty bad. Yay, we get to re-roll perks in a week.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Pigbottom posted:

As much as I want the private lobbies, it's really concerning that the first item on this page isn't "Hey we know the game still crashes a lot and that's our top priority". I think my group is going to have to put playing on pause until they fix the crashing. It really sucks crashing right at the finish line of a mission and not getting the payout for that mission.

Also with each patch it feels like musical chairs over who will crash in our group. One patch it's me several times a mission, next patch I don't crash at all but someone else crashes several times a mission.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Heresy really does play completely different to malice! I'm learning with the ogryn at the moment, but most of the time i'm advancing with the shield up on shooty enemies, trying to aggro stuff in to melee and then deploying my shield when my toughness+health get too low.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

hemale in pain posted:

Heresay really does play completely different to malice! I'm learning with the ogryn at the moment, but most of the time i'm advancing with the shield up on shooty enemies, trying to aggro stuff in to melee and then deploying my shield when my toughness+health get too low.

This all sounds like hearsay to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The thing I learned most from doing Heresy for my penances is that:

1. Ranged enemies really start to gently caress you up so the bolter and plasma gun lose a lot of their charm
2. You can't be non chalant on some enemy types because they're a bit beefier (like mutants, dogs, pox bursters all took around 1-2 extra shots) I let a poxburster get too close because i didnt volley fire for the extra damage since I thought I could ping it down easy.

Having a vet that can 1 or 2 tap shooters in volleyfire to clear big sections of shooters loving up your team seems imperative. That being said I beat the Throneside mission on heresy 3 x with grimoires active and only failed another heresy mission because I had 3 bots.