Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
weird how none of the established yonkos have awakened devil fruits but the string guy and mochi man serving as underlings have though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I thought Kaido had the same weird smoke cloud thing around his shoulders like luffy, lucci, and yamato but my brain invented it entirely and he doesnt. So actually he probably isnt awakened!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

BoosterDuck posted:

weird how none of the established yonkos have awakened devil fruits but the string guy and mochi man serving as underlings have though

Luffy has an awakened fruit.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

Waffleman_ posted:

Luffy has an awakened fruit.

I said 'established' to not include mugiwara and teach

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I don’t remember Katakuri or Doffy having that thing either, maybe it’s specific to Zoans

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Whitebeard being able to quake the air itself seems pretty awakened, idk

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the quake fruit was essentially pure destruction. extending that to everything in his vicinity would likely have awful consequences for his allies. or maybe whitebeard was too old to handle it, or was so strong otherwise that he never needed to learn how.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i really appreciate how incredibly mad lucci must be to have to fight a goofy living cartoon that he can't even touch. as nami said, that guy's the worst.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

When this part gets animated, I hope it's accompanied with a cartoon "AWOOGAH!" sound effect. :allears:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I don’t remember Katakuri or Doffy having that thing either, maybe it’s specific to Zoans

Yeah that's what I'm getting at

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

It would be very funny if Sentamaru is dead and we don't really dwell on it at all, and a year from now we get his backstory in an SBS

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Begemot posted:

The moment when war was inevitable :allears:

https://youtu.be/v8Ha6tNvRUg

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Amazing chapter

Oda is really bringing his all to bear with Egghead. I feel like this arc has gone on for a year already and we've only been here, like, a month or two? There's so much happening and it doesn't feel hard to follow and the pacing is great. Honestly, if he keeps this up until the very end, I'll be incredibly happy.

Begemot posted:

The moment when war was inevitable :allears:

Yeah, Rob Lucci really hosed up this time. No mercy.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I’m pretty sure Lucci has the sash-looking cloud because Oda thinks it looks cool and it has nothing to do with awakenings

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

When this part gets animated, I hope it's accompanied with a cartoon "AWOOGAH!" sound effect. :allears:

Speaking of, Gear 5 is getting close to making its (official) debut in the anime currently. I kind of hope they go full Tex Avery with it

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

DizzyBum posted:

Amazing chapter

Oda is really bringing his all to bear with Egghead. I feel like this arc has gone on for a year already and we've only been here, like, a month or two? There's so much happening and it doesn't feel hard to follow and the pacing is great. Honestly, if he keeps this up until the very end, I'll be incredibly happy.

Yeah, Rob Lucci really hosed up this time. No mercy.

egghead island started like 3.5 months ago lol

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

anime was right posted:

egghead island started like 3.5 months ago lol

I'd say this arc didn't start until we met Lilith. That's only 2 and a half months ago.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

mabels big day posted:

It would be very funny if Sentamaru is dead and we don't really dwell on it at all, and a year from now we get his backstory in an SBS

We literally just got it in this chapter

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those that favor fire

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

No Wave posted:

Awakening is just extra fruit powers what is there to even discuss? I am confident that it is the least interesting concept in one piece.

incorrect because gear 5 is th most interesting power in the world

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i think the sea itself being the enemy of dreams is going to be very important

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vegapunk guilt-tripping Battle Axe Guy was amazing. I love that weirdo little apple-headed man :allears:

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Why does the OP of the thread have a very stylish, but massive, spoiler, as the very first thing someone who might not be at the cutting edge of of the manga sees when they open the thread.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Why does the OP of the thread have a very stylish, but massive, spoiler, as the very first thing someone who might not be at the cutting edge of of the manga sees when they open the thread.
It's been six months. What would a reasonable cutoff be?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, we’re at the point where the freaking anime already revealed G5 through Film Red, plus knowing Luffy has a Super Saiyan Blanco form isn’t really a huge spoiler because it’s actually SSJ Oldschool Animation.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
They're clearly referring to the fact that Buggy is an emperor.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Is the control chip just the heart in a Law box? Did they duplicate Law's fruit?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

This DF explanation feels half baked. Ok if it's the official explanation, but eeeeeh feels like Oda make's things more concrete than this usually. Waiting to see how he links to this to the robots before taking it at full value. Like he replicated the powers, apparently. Must be something in addition to what initially inspired them,

I love Vegapunk and am still really hoping he survives this arc.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 9, 2022

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

CatstropheWaitress posted:

This DF explanation feels half baked. Ok if it's the official explanation, but eeeeeh feels like Oda make's things more concrete than this usually. Waiting to see how he links to this to the robots before taking it at full value. Like he replicated the powers, apparently. Must be something in addition to what initially inspired them,

I love Vegapunk and am still really hoping he survives this arc.

considering vegapunk recreated an entire fruit im gonna guess theres more info coming and thats just the "origin" theory that we'll learn more about when we learn the true history.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's an answer for why, not how.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I like the parallel that when first fighting CP9 they're warned not to do it and that it's a terrible idea because they're declaring war on the World Govt. and of course Luffy ignores it.

now CP0 is advised not to provoke Luffy because it means declaring war on an Emperor. And of course Lucci ignores it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Can Of Worms posted:

They're clearly referring to the fact that Buggy is an emperor.

Oh, no yeah that is a legitimate bummer to be spoiled on even if a lot of us guessed it beforehand.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

the bitcoin of weed posted:

being an awakened Zoan just seems to make you stronger in every aspect, not much interesting about it

I love that Lucci is clearly not a threat to current Luffy 1 on 1 but is still strong enough he can't be taken out easily and the fact they're fighting in what's basically a crowded city with tons of bystanders as well as multiple factions watching and participating makes it still an interesting conflict

They seem pretty even in pure power given that they both launched each other back, so far only on real blow has been landed on Lucci and he recovered right away, so this will probbably be an intense fight given that CP0 should have control of the Seraphim. Kuma and Kizaru should both be heading for the Island as well.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I mean, Luffy clearly isn't fighting that seriously. Maybe that's kind of a drawback of Gear 5 though?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Pureauthor posted:

I like the parallel that when first fighting CP9 they're warned not to do it and that it's a terrible idea because they're declaring war on the World Govt. and of course Luffy ignores it.

now CP0 is advised not to provoke Luffy because it means declaring war on an Emperor. And of course Lucci ignores it.

That is a really nice parallel, I didn't even think about it that way.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

They seem pretty even in pure power given that they both launched each other back, so far only on real blow has been landed on Lucci and he recovered right away, so this will probbably be an intense fight given that CP0 should have control of the Seraphim. Kuma and Kizaru should both be heading for the Island as well.

I feel like that happened because it was a fun callback to Enie's Lobby and not because Lucci is matching Luffy. It brought a smile to people's faces and that's what Luffy does while using Gear 5 so it's on brand!
But yeah they are by no means equals here. Luffy completely outclasses him (I don't even think Luffy is using advanced conqueror's haki here?), that's why the seraphim are in play to even things out in Lucci's favor.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I want Hattori to eat a Devil Fruit

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Infinitum posted:

I want Hattori to eat a Devil Fruit

Very rude of you to want the user of the Bird Bird Fruit, Model: Pigeon to explode.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I wonder if Vegapunk's devil fruit research only focuses on replicating existing powers... If you could synthesize the process of granting desires/wishes, that would be kinda insane. A lab-grown genie in a bottle.

Almost makes me think that the One Piece could be the means of turning dreams into reality - as the 4Kids intro once said... "One Piece, the treasure that would make their dreams come true!" Maybe Joyboy's powers are some sort of conduit or key to get it working? It would explain why Roger wished that JB was around when he found One Piece.

Did the World Government enact the Void Century because they needed to erase the world's desire for Joyboy/Nika and "depower" the One Piece/dream machine? I guess you could argue that the actions of Roger and his inheritors are basically a Joyboy Raising Project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Cat Machine posted:

I wonder if Vegapunk's devil fruit research only focuses on replicating existing powers... If you could synthesize the process of granting desires/wishes, that would be kinda insane. A lab-grown genie in a bottle.

Almost makes me think that the One Piece could be the means of turning dreams into reality - as the 4Kids intro once said... "One Piece, the treasure that would make their dreams come true!" Maybe Joyboy's powers are some sort of conduit or key to get it working? It would explain why Roger wished that JB was around when he found One Piece.

Did the World Government enact the Void Century because they needed to erase the world's desire for Joyboy/Nika and "depower" the One Piece/dream machine? I guess you could argue that the actions of Roger and his inheritors are basically a Joyboy Raising Project.

Tarkovsky’s One Piece