Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

:catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Anyone know what kind of pumpkin this is?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Green

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I do not, but googling "light green pumpkin" gets me jarrahdale pumpkins which look significantly similar.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I'd agree that it's a Jarrahdale, don't see those that often even here in Aus as it's usually Kents.
The alternative is that it could be a Queensland Blue as they look really similar to Jarrahdales.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Thanks pumpkologists

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Cucurbologist, actually, I don't specialize

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
I've read the thread title must be a hundreds of times in my bookmarks, and only now do I realize it's in GWS and not GIP.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
eh line cooking is about the same as enlisting I'm pretty sure, except you don't get health care or an education at the end

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I bought some cream last week to make chocolate pots that we decided to skip (amazing recipe by the way, with white wine and rosemary). So we needed to use the cream. So I just made crème brûlée for the first time. It’s baking now. I think they’ll be good. I was super careful adding to the hot cream to the egg mixture to not curdle the eggs.

This is the chocolate pots recipe. It sounds a bit weird but it’s sensational. There was a lovely neighbourhood restaurant near us (sadly closed) that served a short menu; this was on the menu since they opened every day.

https://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=The+peat+inn%27s+rosemary+and+chocolate+pots

therattle fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 3, 2022

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

therattle posted:

I bought some cream last week to make chocolate pots that we decided to skip (amazing recipe by the way, with white wine and rosemary). So we needed to use the cream. So I just made crème brûlée for the first time. It’s baking now. I think they’ll be good. I was super careful adding to the hot cream to the egg mixture to not curdle the eggs.

This is the chocolate pots recipe. It sounds a bit weird but it’s sensational. There was a lovely neighbourhood restaurant near us (sadly closed) that served a short menu; this was on the menu since they opened every day.

https://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=The+peat+inn%27s+rosemary+and+chocolate+pots

That is an interesting recipe. It feels like it should curdle at a couple of stages.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

tarbrush posted:

That is an interesting recipe. It feels like it should curdle at a couple of stages.

One has to be a bit careful but we’ve always had at least very good results. Sometimes it’s a bit grainy but that’s it. I cannot tell you
How delicious they are. Very rich though.

The crème brûlée were really good! Slightly airy texture (I was whisking when slowly adding hot cream to egg mixture) and they hadn’t cooled enough to brûlée, but the flavour was delicious. Extremely creamy.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Saw The Menu last night in an unexpectedly packed theater and had a great time. Way more humorous than I expected and expertly paced.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
my therapist suggested i start a bean club. who's in

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

what kind of bean

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

PokeJoe posted:

what kind of bean

bean kind to one another :) and hidatsa shield beans, and borlotti, because those are my favourites to grow

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I have to admit I've bean into you for a while ☺️

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Goons With Spoons, I need your support.

I have thought about making a thread highlighting our spoons for years. I have used one spoon for 30 years. It has a flat side on the rounded handle where I tapped it on pans thousands of times. It has a fully deformed head, since I only use it left handed, so the right side is worn down and the left side is as it started.

It means a lot to me, and it's made thousands of meals through many stages of my life.

Today... well, today, MY spoon died. I tapped it against the pan as I was making fried rice and felt... something. Tapped again and I recognized... it was flex, the handle had broken and was flexing.

Post your spoon, here or in a new thread, and let's give our main tool a shot at the spotlight.

:rip: a goon's spoon

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

meatpimp posted:

I have thought about making a thread highlighting our spoons for years. I have used one spoon for 30 years. It has a flat side on the rounded handle where I tapped it on pans thousands of times. It has a fully deformed head, since I only use it left handed, so the right side is worn down and the left side is as it started.

It means a lot to me, and it's made thousands of meals through many stages of my life.

Today... well, today, MY spoon died. I tapped it against the pan as I was making fried rice and felt... something. Tapped again and I recognized... it was flex, the handle had broken and was flexing.

Post your spoon, here or in a new thread, and let's give our main tool a shot at the spotlight.

Godspeed, spoon.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Time to upgrade

https://youtu.be/dZTtVl7PZBY

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

Is the break pretty straight across the neck, or is it along one of the long grain lines?

If it's a clean break, a decent woodworker can repair it by using a router to cut out a place for a bowtie and then shave/sand it flush. $200 job max.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don't know what your emotional attachment is worth, but this one is $11, has a scraping side, and comes in both right- and left-handed versions. Mine is just perfect

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B079WJ328R

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Doom Rooster posted:

Is the break pretty straight across the neck, or is it along one of the long grain lines?

If it's a clean break, a decent woodworker can repair it by using a router to cut out a place for a bowtie and then shave/sand it flush. $200 job max.

It's multiple cracks/separations of the grain going down the handle by where I've worn it down with pan taps.

I was thinking of drilling a series of small holes with a drill press and doweling...

Anne Whateley posted:

I don't know what your emotional attachment is worth, but this one is $11, has a scraping side, and comes in both right- and left-handed versions. Mine is just perfect

I just like the feel of this one, very thin handle. I'm sure it exists and is super cheap, I got this from my mom almost 35 years ago when I first lived on my own in college. And she didn't buy high-end things then, so it would be a commodity item. I just haven't found it in the years I've been looking for a replacement (I've seen the wear progress for years, and knew it wouldn't live forever, so I've been trying to find the same one again...)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7174245648823455022

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Anne Whateley posted:

Too soon, it’s way too early for this sort of emotional closure, you need to give time for the grieving process

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

It's multiple cracks/separations of the grain going down the handle by where I've worn it down with pan taps.

I was thinking of drilling a series of small holes with a drill press and doweling...

You’re going want to clean cut across the middle of the series of breaks, then make sure that you get glue inside each of the layers of grain. Squeeze it tight, wipe up as much squished put glue as you can, clean that up, then squeeze and tightly wrap with painters tape that you’ll peel/scrape/sand off later.

Then you can drill holes and dowel it up. It won’t be nearly as sturdy though because of the dowels.

Gluing the layers like above and then bow tie will be way more sturdy.

I would legitimately do this if I were in your situation. I’m the type that would find spending 10+ hours and $30 worth of materials to fix a $7 spoon really entertaining though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Too soon, it’s way too early for this sort of emotional closure, you need to give time for the grieving process

On the other hand that’s time wasted letting an unadopted spoon sit around in a spoon mill

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I've been watching a lot of boat building so be sure to sand and tar the plug too

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

Doom Rooster posted:

You’re going want to clean cut across the middle of the series of breaks, then make sure that you get glue inside each of the layers of grain. Squeeze it tight, wipe up as much squished put glue as you can, clean that up, then squeeze and tightly wrap with painters tape that you’ll peel/scrape/sand off later.

Then you can drill holes and dowel it up. It won’t be nearly as sturdy though because of the dowels.

Gluing the layers like above and then bow tie will be way more sturdy.

I would legitimately do this if I were in your situation. I’m the type that would find spending 10+ hours and $30 worth of materials to fix a $7 spoon really entertaining though.

denial is one of the first stages of grief. sometimes you've just got to let things go, and learn that soaking a wooden spoon in hot water after every use is way too much effort for not enough reward, and you should probably just get a metal spoon instead

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Give your hard working spoon the retirement they deserve. Give them a fancy place to hang out in your kitchen to supervise the training of the new spoon to join the family.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7175347547408747822

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Meet your meat, say hello

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Anne Whateley posted:

A spoon is for life, not just for Christmas :colbert:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Got a new recipe for popcorn chicken

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7174408221141028097

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I am deeply confused as to what happened and why

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I occasionally make gnocchi and always use russet potatoes. Lately I've really been enjoying using waxier potato varieties for other things and was wondering if anyone had tried a waxier potato in gnocchi and whether it was any good? Do you need the starch from a russet? I suppose that would make sense if you consider the starch in traditional noodle pasta.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Did that chicken get teleported?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

meatpimp posted:

any additional holes or cuts you make will just interrupt the long grain and weaken whatever structure’s left. If you want to try to repair it, just put a thin layer of titebond on the broken edges (use a small brush) and clamp that poo poo as tight as you can. Painter’s tape works great but you may want to put on an extra wrap after five or ten minutes to keep it tight after the glue starts to squeeze out. After that leave the tape in place for 24 hours, and as long as there’s a decent amount of long grain in contact it’ll be about as strong as it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I think it's important to have conversations with your older cooking implements to find out what they would want if something like this was to happen to them. Many would likely not wish for dramatic resuscitation to be performed and it's so frequently the case that these wishes are not able to be expressed when the events actually happen.