Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytuq73QnDEs

I think it's safe to say that Jessie Gender has watched Andor now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Jenny Nicholson summoned an interesting video into existence:

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1600860770400894977

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1600864715525148672

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1600869218479525889

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1601652607830745088

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkM-X8cyj9M

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

Interesting. I wonder what the plan will be in 2 years when Nebula folds.

Probably head back to YouTube, same as when Blib closed up shop in 2015.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was very funny in Jenny's latest Patreon video where she watched a different video of someone finding an old animatronic and had a real time freakout whenever the person would touch it.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

It was very funny in Jenny's latest Patreon video where she watched a different video of someone finding an old animatronic and had a real time freakout whenever the person would touch it.

https://twitter.com/jennyenicholson/status/1600002647888920576?s=46&t=Q_r9FaANyQcSEPhsTsrXUg

I literally just signed up for her Patreon so I could watch the whole video!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did they ever find Buzzy?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this is great, a shame it's got so few views.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Did they ever find Buzzy?

The guy who Jenny mentioned in the video, BackdoorDisney, was arrested for stealing the robot's hat, headphones, and jacket, and selling it to an NBA player. That stuff was recovered. He'd previously tweeted parts of Buzzy, like his face:

He denied stealing the whole 300 lb. thing, but if he did, the animatronic has probably been sold off in pieces by now to private collectors. If I had to guess though, he probably lifted all the bits out that he could reasonably stuff in a bag, like the skin, clothing, or easily detachable hands, and made off with that. Leaving the mechanical skeleton behind. Maybe that's why Disney decided to just cut what was left of Buzzy out of the mechanical arm and presumably toss or scrap him?

Captain Invictus posted:

this is great, a shame it's got so few views.

It is interesting. I wish he'd shared some footage about the interview with that theme park historian though. I wonder if the other part he's teasing is going to be him finding the underwater dolphin animatronics too?

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 11, 2022

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Channel 5's January 6th Documentary is coming out on HBO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH_rX9S6sU8

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Nuns with Guns posted:

The guy who Jenny mentioned in the video, BackdoorDisney, was arrested for stealing the robot's hat, headphones, and jacket, and selling it to an NBA player. That stuff was recovered. He'd previously tweeted parts of Buzzy, like his face:

He denied stealing the whole 300 lb. thing, but if he did, the animatronic has probably been sold off in pieces by now to private collectors. If I had to guess though, he probably lifted all the bits out that he could reasonably stuff in a bag, like the skin, clothing, or easily detachable hands, and made off with that. Leaving the mechanical skeleton behind. Maybe that's why Disney decided to just cut what was left of Buzzy out of the mechanical arm and presumably toss or scrap him?

It is interesting. I wish he'd shared some footage about the interview with that theme park historian though. I wonder if the other part he's teasing is going to be him finding the underwater dolphin animatronics too?

Please don't post pictures of a dead body without warning.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He’s dead

Made of plastic!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Please don't post pictures of a dead body without warning.

Jenny's boy! Her boy has been murdered and chopped up for parts!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://youtu.be/nkk7zKJxtqQ

I think I’ve posted Matt Baume in here before but he just put up a lovely video about Kevin Conroy that I think everyone will like

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Just discovered this guy who has some really good anime videos that leans towards the shorter side. Really liked this video he just put up about Usagi Drop's, uh, controversial ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn_221j4BTA

Slight warning, this video talks about a series in which the main character ends up romantically involved with the girl he adopted at 6 years old, after she graduates high school There's nothing explicit, this isn't anywhere close to an ecchi manga or anything, just a very genuine slice-of-life manga that drove straight in to an ending no one wanted, taking every one by surprise

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 11, 2022

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

thinking about usagi drop still pisses me off like a decade later lol.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I still remember a large contingent of /a/ being put off by the ending, which is how I heard about it in the first place

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I was reading it as it came out and got fan translated and I cannot stress enough how completely blindsided people were by the ending, it was not that vibe at all up to that point. People went so far as to hope the summary of the volume was wrong somehow, but then the chapters came out :negative: .

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Happy Landfill posted:

Just discovered this guy who has some really good anime videos that leans towards the shorter side. Really liked this video he just put up about Bunny Drop's, uh, controversial ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn_221j4BTA

Slight warning, this video talks about a series in which the main character ends up romantically involved with the girl he adopted at 6 years old, after she graduates high school There's nothing explicit, this isn't anywhere close to an ecchi manga or anything, just a very genuine slice-of-life manga that drove straight in to an ending no one wanted, taking every one by surprise

What the absolute gently caress was that mangaka thinking

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Mercury Hat posted:

I was reading it as it came out and got fan translated and I cannot stress enough how completely blindsided people were by the ending, it was not that vibe at all up to that point. People went so far as to hope the summary of the volume was wrong somehow, but then the chapters came out :negative: .

I appreciate him nodding at Fruits Basket and Cardcaptor Sakura for also containing similar story elements...this is just a thing that comes up a lot in stories written for girls and women by other women and it's kind of distressing. I'm just not sure where the line is drawn between Art Is Complicated And Sometimes Messy/Depiction=/=Endorsement and....This

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Happy Landfill posted:

I appreciate him nodding at Fruits Basket and Cardcaptor Sakura for also containing similar story elements...this is just a thing that comes up a lot in stories written for girls and women by other women and it's kind of distressing. I'm just not sure where the line is drawn between Art Is Complicated And Sometimes Messy/Depiction=/=Endorsement and....This

Kodocha had the least bad possible version of this where the young female lead (a child actress) called her manager her “pimp” and assumed he was also her boyfriend until everyone gently tells her that she doesn’t know what those words mean and that he’s just being nice and going along to placate her, at which point she stops doing that and starts getting a regular crush on an appropriately aged boy.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

Kodocha had the least bad possible version of this where the young female lead (a child actress) called her manager her “pimp” and assumed he was also her boyfriend until everyone gently tells her that she doesn’t know what those words mean and that he’s just being nice and going along to placate her, at which point she stops doing that and starts getting a regular crush on an appropriately aged boy.
This is really the best way to do it

I don't think it's a bad thing to have young character's with crushes on the adults in their lives, that's actually pretty common in real life. The problem is when it's reciprocated. That poo poo's bad, man. A lot of stuff I still really, really like has a number of teacher+student pairings that are treated very seriously. CLAMP is terrible with this

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

At one point does Cardcaptor Sakura have this? I absolutely believe you, I am just drawing a blank where it is because it's been so long since I've read the manga.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Twincityhacker posted:

At one point does Cardcaptor Sakura have this? I absolutely believe you, I am just drawing a blank where it is because it's been so long since I've read the manga.

It comes up a couple of times, most notably with Rika, one of Sakura's friends and a minor reoccurring character. It is revealed at one point, through Monster of the Week magic, she she has a crush on their homeroom teacher who, at the end of the chapter is shown to not only reciprocate that crush but GIVES HER A PROMISE RING. She's 10. They are later shown together at the park with it being heavily implied that they are on some sort of date :barf: Those are really the only two times that it comes up, other than the park thing it doesn't ever get commented on by anyone else. It's also later revealed that Sakura's dad met her mom because he was her high school teacher :barf: :barf: And I think it's implied that there was something between Touya and Mizuki-sensei? Touya would have been her student, if that was the case

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 11, 2022

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Lol I didn’t realize that in Fruits Basket both of Tohru’s friends end up in relationships with way older members of the Soma family, that’s kinda funny and weird (although not as much as that Cardcaptor Sakura thing)

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Happy Landfill posted:

It comes up a couple of times, most notably with Rika, one of Sakura's friends and a minor reoccurring character. It is revealed at one point, through Monster of the Week magic, she she has a crush on their homeroom teacher who, at the end of the chapter is shown to not only reciprocate that crush but GIVES HER A PROMISE RING. She's 10. They are later shown together at the park with it being heavily implied that they are on some sort of date :barf: Those are really the only two times that it comes up, other than the park thing it doesn't ever get commented on by anyone else. It's also later revealed that Sakura's dad met her mom because he was her high school teacher :barf: :barf: And I think it's implied that there was something between Touya and Mizuki-sensei?

Ew. I'm kinda glad I don't recall it now.

I did read a sci-fi story that did have a child entering a betrothal with an adult that was kinda okay? But the betrothal was done by a matchmaker, they met The Once during the formal ceremony, and then didn't have any more contact with each other for 15 years. There was contact between their families, but it was of the "both are alive and doing well" than anything personal. And even then, it was a Huge Scandal that only pushed though because of an alien overlord situation.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

Lol I didn’t realize that in Fruits Basket both of Tohru’s friends end up in relationships with way older members of the Soma family, that’s kinda funny and weird (although not as much as that Cardcaptor Sakura thing)

There's also Tohru's Dad being a new teacher at her mom's jr high school . I think the best thing that the new anime did was just skip over that back story and leave it kind of vague, but nope! They dedicated an OVA to that flashback :v:

I really love both of those series a lot, but man those parts make it kind of hard to go back to :sigh:

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Meanwhile, the Inuyasha sequel.

Which for some reason few people cared about to be disgusted at for long.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

There's a name for it apparently! https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WifeHusbandry Can actually be traced back to Tale of Genji, which no doubt manga artists are familiar with. It's still very, very offputting

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
How much value does Shinto culture hold in that story?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sleng Teng posted:

thinking about usagi drop still pisses me off like a decade later lol.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Man I don't think even the Japanese readers liked Usagi Drop's ending all that much either.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

are we gonna get that weird fucker who kept posting in the CSPAM anime thread that the Japanese have a genetic, racial disposition toward pedophilia because Tale of Genji exists

Alaois fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 12, 2022

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I remember the (almost certainly false) rumor going around the author based Usagi Drop on her own life and marriage.

I think people were just desperate for an explanation for why she thought that was a good idea.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
So how long does it usually take before someone steps in and declares "no discussion of pedophilia, change topics"?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao Usagi Drop, at least the anime is good and ends before the time skip so you can just pretend it ends however you want it and that the manga doesn't exist.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Delphisage posted:

So how long does it usually take before someone steps in and declares "no discussion of pedophilia, change topics"?

As long as no one is advocating for it or attempting to wildly call everyone pedophiles for liking a thing I don’t think it’s a topic that we need to actively avoid, the best way to ignore the topic if you don’t like it is to just post something else or even better, just stop reading the posts about it

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Violet_Sky posted:

Man I don't think even the Japanese readers liked Usagi Drop's ending all that much either.

See that's what I don't get, the manga was apparently published by a magazine aimed at older women so it's not likely the audience was full of perverts who were really rooting for the Father/Daughter romance to happen. Unless...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm trying to think of a series that backstabbed its readers harder than Usagi Drop and I'm failing.

I have nothing but disgust for where that series went.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm trying to think of a series that backstabbed its readers harder than Usagi Drop and I'm failing.

I have nothing but disgust for where that series went.

Attack on Titan has gotta be up there a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Attack on titan ftw.