Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

egghead really owns so far, the setting really biases me toward it inherently though

lucci's awakened design is loving sick and im looking forward to revisiting the fight in higher quality

specifically the way his hair seems to join and inform the ribbon down to his stupid WG goatee, it makes his silhouette in the action cool as hell

i feel like vegapunk's explanation of devil fruits is definitely incomplete though i love the spirit of it as-is

it's open-ended enough that people can pull luffy being a living spirit bomb and fruits still being in active genesis from it comfortably but im erring on the side of them being a strictly historical creation of the ancient kingdom the means of which will fit vegapunk's theory conceptually

also, this isn't supported whatsoever in-text and in fact is sort of countered in light of vegapunk's explanation but i still have this gut feeling paramecias are man-made while zoans and logia are a natural counterpart and the shared enemy of nature and subsequently the sea aspect has additional context that'll re-lens what vegapunk said (maybe including for him). i don't have good reasoning for this beyond calling it gut feeling lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

mabels big day posted:

Theres no reason to say for sure that Lucci *didn't* have haki preskip

Being perfectly frank, I'm of the opinion that we have been seeing Haki quite a bit once we get into the Grand Line, it just isn't visible until Luffy learns how to control it himself. I mean, everything that we see going on with Zoro and Mr. 2 in Arabasta is basically "Haki" without being given the name.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, with the information given in the latest chapter, Haki's capability of bypassing the natural defenses of a Devil Fruit power can now be rephrased as Human Desire/Wish butting against Human Desire/Ambition.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 11, 2022

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Official translation. I highly recommend reading this - the paneling works a lot better and the translation is much easier to understand.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Yeah, I was slightly confused by the fan translation's explanation of devil fruits, but the official makes it clear that they're mystery fruits!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
the page with the clashing punch is still a bad layout, imo. Especially when in tank format the centre of page will be partly covered.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I'll give a poo poo when I buy the volumes 10 years from now.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
This really is one of those chapters worth reading four times.

It's really... thematic. In this series about passing your will to the future generation, when the very start is Gol D. Roger saying exactly that to birth the great age of pirates. Pedro, Corazon, and god knows how many others dying so the ones we are currently seeing have a better chance at changing the world. As silly as the whole "lol sanji and that tiger guy always wanted to be invisible to be a pervert" that's a will both passed on and also the power of science reached that. And now that will turns out to be the very basis of the world with Devil Fruits. loving rules.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Something I haven't seen brought up in here

The MADS ship we see in the cover story is a dead-ringer for the ship that Franky found himself on after getting ran over by the sea train. It wasn't just any ship he used the remains to build his cyborg body, it was the old MADS ship

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Also I'm starting to think that this MADS organisation might be important and also might not be totally on the level??

Oh it's fine. They've just got some poor sap on that boat and they're forcing him to watch cheesy movies; the worst you've ever seen!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Something I haven't seen brought up in here

The MADS ship we see in the cover story is a dead-ringer for the ship that Franky found himself on after getting ran over by the sea train. It wasn't just any ship he used the remains to build his cyborg body, it was the old MADS ship

I dunno, there's obviously some stylization going on with the cover page, but there's 2 prominent wheels that aren't there in the ship Franky stumbles on. And it doesn't seem anywhere near as tall, even if there's a lot of metal and piping once he's on the ship.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
yeah if that was deliberate i think oda would have made it exact

it could be an old one tho.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The design of the windows and the lower part of the ship seems way too similar to be a coincidence. Whether its the exact ship or not it seems too good to not be related. Perhaps it was an older version that had a sail instead of the wheels

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I love that Luffy's reached a point where the loving WG is like "woah, this is an Emperor, we can't just start poo poo with him without clearing it with our superiors first!" Meanwhile Lucci basically just goes "gently caress that poo poo, I've been waiting for this rematch for two loving years!" and rushes in anyway, consequences be damned.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The word "Pacifist" on the Mad's ship probably has some relationship to Pacifistas, right?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Cloks posted:

The word "Pacifist" on the Mad's ship probably has some relationship to Pacifistas, right?

Since the text describes the organization as "Charitable Research Lab for Peace" I'm guessing MADS was trying to disguise their obvious mad science poo poo and that failed miserably

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Making All Dreams (into) Science?

Desires, maybe?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Du Feld is just really into pacifism. He's such a noble beacon of society.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Bringing out the seraphim backfired; seems like the turn of events is supposed to give Luffy an actual challenge since it looks like his Gear 5 let's him toy around against Lucci. Also, I expected Vegapunk to explain the origin of the fruits, but it is lacking. Strong desires gave rise to a devil fruit, but is that the law of the One Piece universe? Are new, different fruits always grown? Or was there an ancient, forgotten process that gave birth to the devil fruits?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Flair posted:

Bringing out the seraphim backfired; seems like the turn of events is supposed to give Luffy an actual challenge since it looks like his Gear 5 let's him toy around against Lucci. Also, I expected Vegapunk to explain the origin of the fruits, but it is lacking. Strong desires gave rise to a devil fruit, but is that the law of the One Piece universe? Are new, different fruits always grown? Or was there an ancient, forgotten process that gave birth to the devil fruits?

My theory is that devil fruits were creations of the ancient kingdom through some ancient tech that turned humanity's will into devil fruits somehow, the current WG saw this as a threat to their dominance and used the Ancient Weapons to quash the potential uprising, and the old Joy Boy hosed it up somehow by running out of time a la Super Saiyan God timer plot mechanism. It's a loose theory, I don't operate well under booze

Also is there a single aikanu-styke Marine hat with double blue stripes you can buy that doesn't look like complete rear end? Everything I find looks like a reject Party City backstore storage bin warmer.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

What vegapunk gave us now on Devil Fruits is as much of an explaination for them as "Water bubbles when its hot!" is for boiling water. We still don't know 'why/how' for devil fruits, just 'what'.

Also this leaves as a bigger question mark than before why eating two DFs kill you.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

I Am Fowl posted:

Oh it's fine. They've just got some poor sap on that boat and they're forcing him to watch cheesy movies; the worst you've ever seen!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
that means that somewhere, at some time in world history, there existed a guy that really really REALLY wanted to wear another guy as a jacket

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Correction, they wanted to be the jacket.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is there any other fruit quite so baffling as the jacket - jacket fruit, where you genuinely have to question what the reasoning for it was?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

One day, I'll evolve into a candle.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i believe the reasoning was it made him laugh

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Violen posted:

i believe the reasoning was it made him hard

Ftfy

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I'm sad that Kelly Funk didn't join the Grand Fleet :(

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

What if Tech's dream was to quake or to yami yami, and like you can eat a devil fruit for free if it happens to be your dream

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

devil fruits come from the energy vegapunk is looking for. and haki probably does too

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

CharlestonJew posted:

that means that somewhere, at some time in world history, there existed a guy that really really REALLY wanted to wear another guy as a jacket

Every single person has had this exact thought

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2022/12/12/a-promising-maiden-voyage-through-well-charted-seas

Game Informer went hands-on with Odyssey and it's looking pretty promising

quote:

The combat is taken a step further with Dynamic Scenes, which are objectives that battles can introduce at the start of an encounter. In one story instance, enemies paralyze Usopp with a surprise attack, and the Dynamic Scene tasks me with defeating the enemies before they defeat the paralyzed Usopp, who can’t do anything to fight back or defend himself. The enemies focus almost exclusively on him, meaning I have to act fast to defeat his attackers. Completing a Dynamic Scene comes with extra experience and rewards, too, and it seems worth attempting to achieve with each instance. 

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Bisse posted:

Also this leaves as a bigger question mark than before why eating two DFs kill you.

Which is still a thing that's never happened in the series. In fact, the only person who has eaten two devil fruits is alive!

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

CharlestonJew posted:

that means that somewhere, at some time in world history, there existed a guy that really really REALLY liked that one episode of Pokemon where Sabrina turned everyone into dolls.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Ever Disappointing posted:

Which is still a thing that's never happened in the series. In fact, the only person who has eaten two devil fruits is alive!
You know it would be loving hilarious if under that blanket with Whitebeard,
- Blackbeard actually just ate a second fruit and it was actually just fine
- or He just fanboyed really really hard about Whitebeard and really wanted to be like him and poof! wish granted

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
gently caress I really wish my boogers would explode.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/FazzOmega/status/1602131541496582145?t=I4Q-nXAnbvi1aZ_YDKzx9A&s=19

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

oddium posted:

devil fruits come from the energy vegapunk is looking for. and haki probably does too

Alright. So. I have a crazy theory regarding the energy source that Vegapunk is looking for.

https://twitter.com/newworldartur/status/1602013998752432128

What if it either IS or is RELATED TO... Foxy's Slow Slow Beam Particles? It's some sort of exotic radiation so it could be an energy source in and of itself if the particle could replicated. BUT LET'S GO ONE STEP FURTHER.

What if you started a nuclear reaction and hit it with slow slow beam particles? It would retain its energy, perhaps even extending the life of the reaction far far longer than normal, seemingly producing more energy than it should. So perhaps with artificial slow slow beam particles, you could have a giant robot with a nuclear power source that lasts 900 years, that just gives out one day.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I Am Fowl posted:

BUT LET'S GO ONE STEP FURTHER.
If the ancient weapons can somehow be individual people, why not the One Piece itself? If what you're saying about a near infinite power source is possible, it seems like it would have the same world-changing implications that have been hinted at for the One Piece.

What if Roger was laughing at Foxy's dumb head?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the one piece is also a guy stuck in a treasure box but he's a thousand years old