Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Cid is too hot to be constrained to a T rating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

SoP: Finished FF2-land, where we were told there is a Crystal (Water Crystal?) nearby, which took us to FFXIIIland and the Not-The-Sunleth-Waterscape. There was a horrible monster there, and Jack is giddy at the though of making a deal with Chaos because that means Chaos DOES exist and he can, therefore, kill Chaos. It looks like next we're headed to FFIIIland and Not-The-Crystal-Tower.

If no NPC shows up then Jack is the official Dragoon of SoP Cuz I unlocked it, and I've been bouncing between it and Evoker (I'm really only doing Evoker because it becomes Summoner I guess).

EDIT: It appears Summoner isn't until much later, after clearing the base game and the Trials of the Dragon King DLC

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

And personally, my perspective is close to what you said without just shrugging it off: they've been able to go dark and serious before without jacking up the classification rating, so why is this one suddenly different?

I think framing this like this and worrying about it is not healthy for anyone.

Especially with a game you've consistently said you're not going to play and have no interest in.

Genuinely it could be something as simple as All Of The Blood On People we see in the trailers, or maybe they say 'gently caress' more than once every 30 hours.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
FFXVI is going past the far edge of fate straight into the rated M for Mature category

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
GoW:Ragnarok is rated M just for it's blood and gore and language. This isn't some indictment on narrative or thematic inclusions, it could just be the semi-realistic artstyle and war scenes pushed it over.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Clive could say "gently caress, this Chocobo is so goddamn cute, poo poo, its just like, my god its adorable"

There are no other swears in the game.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cleretic posted:

FFXVI is actually pushing for a higher rating and a darker tone; even outside of the Brazilian classification leak we know it's getting a higher ESRB rating. So that tells me that, no, it's not going to be the same as always; something is pushing it over a line. Either those same concepts are going to be treated in a way that somehow increases that severity, or there's something new happening that's not something they usually do. Possibly both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzHKwhrN1Lg

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
Clive will show hog, cementing ffxvi as the greatest ff of all time

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What’s the best way to play 6 these days for the first time, including snes hacks?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Genuinely it could be something as simple as All Of The Blood On People we see in the trailers, or maybe they say 'gently caress' more than once every 30 hours.

yeah we can already see the differences, they're just depicting violence and stuff more directly rather than dodging it somewhat like FF7R or getting by with bloodless violence in the lower-fidelity games

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Zenos is going to fall through the veil between realities from FF14, butt rear end naked, into the final boss fight and in true Final Fantasy fashion will hijack the fight for himself

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

SeANMcBAY posted:

What’s the best way to play 6 these days for the first time, including snes hacks?

Honestly I think it's a personal preference thing, but I'd recommend the GBA version with a hack that fixes the music and palette, some people prefer the SNES translation but I like the modern one. Or the Pixel Remaster with a font that doesn't suck. The SNES version is also fine? They all have minor advantages and disadvantages but I don't think any of the three major versions is deeply superior or inferior to the other. Don't play the PS1 version the load times are like trying to drown yourself.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 13, 2022

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

YggiDee posted:

Honestly I think it's a personal preference thing, but I'd recommend the GBA version with a hack that fixes the music and palette, some people prefer the SNES translation but I like the modern one. Or the Pixel Remaster with a font that doesn't suck. The SNES version is also fine? They all have minor advantages and disadvantages but I don't think any of the three major versions is deeply superior or inferior to the other. Don't play the PS1 version the load times are like trying to drown yourself.

I see there’s a million SNES hack so I’m wondering which of those is best. The GBA version still sounds pretty bad to me even with that sound hack.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

the gba ver has a stronger tl than snes 6 and fixes up a lot of its bugs, but the sound and visuals take a hit without patches

for snes patches im only playing t edition thus far which is cool but, probably not great for a first playthrough??

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm mostly thinking from the angle of "close to the original" if it's for a first time playthrough, I don't know much about content mods/hacks or anything like that. Some people got real weird about the original translation.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

YggiDee posted:

I'm mostly thinking from the angle of "close to the original" if it's for a first time playthrough, I don't know much about content mods/hacks or anything like that. Some people got real weird about the original translation.

ahhhh i see

yeah imo gba 6 with patches is probably the best
i thhhink theres snes patches that transfer the gba tl over too??

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

SeANMcBAY posted:

PR is my suggestion, the musical score is just too good. Fix the font of course.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Yeah I don't think there's a bad option here, I don't really have an opinion on the PR yet because I haven't actually played it yet.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The GBA and Pixel Remaster versions' English script is good, but don't take my word for it. SNES version has better graphics and sound than GBA, but choosing between SNES and Pixel Remaster from an looks and sounds standpoint is something you'll have to do on your own.

Of the Pixel Remaster series, 5 and 6 are the least changed, so it comes down to aesthetics for those two. 1 through 4 all had significant gameplay alterations.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Bongo Bill posted:

The GBA and Pixel Remaster versions' English script is good, but don't take my word for it. SNES version has better graphics and sound than GBA, but choosing between SNES and Pixel Remaster from an looks and sounds standpoint is something you'll have to do on your own.

Of the Pixel Remaster series, 5 and 6 are the least changed, so it comes down to aesthetics for those two. 1 through 4 all had significant gameplay alterations.

If you’re doing a 4 job fiesta for 5 the version does matter for some glitches and interactions. Especially ones that make chemist and some status effects even more ridiculously broken In earlier iterations.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

To exolain myself better, the whole colorful thing in my post was half a joke. But what is true is that no matter how hard the older games got they were still constrained by being sprite games with no major definition. There's a difference between a stabbing represented as a sprite rushing to another and a red flash and lovingly rendered 3D models with visible blood.

Also rating boards are dumb and arbritary half of the time, why are we paying attention to them beyond meme potential?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Also rating boards are dumb and arbritary half of the time, why are we paying attention to them beyond meme potential?

Because when there's nothing else to talk about on a subject, something like that is prime speculative material. The gently caress else about FFXVI did we have that was new at the time?

We got the Game Awards trailer after that, at least.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I think the only bad way to play FF6 is the disasterpiss that is the PS1 port

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think the only bad way to play FF6 is the disasterpiss that is the PS1 port

Ooh yeah this port is unplayable.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I said come in! posted:

Ooh yeah this port is unplayable.

It might be the nadir of Tose's work in general

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

What Does Edgar Say About Relm in Each Final Fantasy VI Translation?

In the new Pixel Remaster version, the line has been changed again. He says:
“They grow up faster than you think… You’ll break a few hearts when you’re older, kid.”
Which ironically is pretty similar to how Woolsey wrote it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
For the JP able who don't mind niconico streams, they're running a live marathon FF event for the 35 year anniversary, various people are going to play through all the main series FFs (and accomplish some other kinds of goals for 11 and 14) over the next six days alongside some other stuff. Yoshinori Kitase, Ichiro Hazama (Theathrythm producer) and Mariko Sato (Crisis Core Reunion producer) are in the opening program going on at the moment and other FF-related people make appearances too.

https://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv339428860

E: Sakaguchi showed up earlier with a video message and downed a glass of champagne in one gulp for breakfast in celebration.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Dec 13, 2022

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Has FF7R gotten an actual release date? I recall a vague release date for Winter 2023, which is really a way of saying "January - March 2024", right?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I think framing this like this and worrying about it is not healthy for anyone.

Especially with a game you've consistently said you're not going to play and have no interest in.

Is type-0 rated M? (Jesus Christ, the Chocobo Death in the intro.)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

When sprite Kefka stabbed sprite Leo that should have been an M rating right there :colbert:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

When sprite Kefka stabbed sprite Leo that should have been an M rating right there :colbert:

ESRB description: “…at one point a character poisons a well killing an entire village. The same character later murders a dog man.”

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
you should murder neither dog men, nor entire villages

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
The thread name is :discourse:.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Prowler posted:

Has FF7R gotten an actual release date? I recall a vague release date for Winter 2023, which is really a way of saying "January - March 2024", right?

That’s what I originally assumed, but they said Winter for CC too and that meant December.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Man they really spit shined Crisis Core huh. I mean it’s still that game, but they didn’t skimp on the new coat of paint.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

The pillars of the franchise next year. Final Fantasy XVI, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, and Theatrhythm Final Bar Line which I just now realized doesn't actually have "Final Fantasy" in the title

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Vitamean posted:

The pillars of the franchise next year. Final Fantasy XVI, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, and Theatrhythm Final Bar Line which I just now realized doesn't actually have "Final Fantasy" in the title

It has Final in the title tho

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's how you know it's the last one

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

what was curtain call

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Hmm I might do the SoP DLCs much later, I am reading that they're pretty grindy.

Edit: and difficult, too. I am bad at SoP so I fear it would take a long time for me to do them