Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Barry Bluejeans posted:

I'm aware of that, but again, those cuts only affected streaming content - what's more, there has not to my knowledge been any removals since late August, likely because of the strategy being so poorly received that Warner's stock now sits at ~65% of the value it held before the cuts occurred.

They're literally doing a bunch right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Barry Bluejeans posted:

there has not to my knowledge been any removals since late August, likely because of the strategy being so poorly received that Warner's stock now sits at ~65% of the value it held before the cuts occurred.

Since this Sunday night they announced they're deleting Westworld (their actual biggest show between Thrones' ending and House of the Dragons' premiering) and The Nevers,

Barry Bluejeans posted:

those cuts only affected streaming content

both of which were HBO hits, not Max-exclusives

(They also announced they're deleting two Max-exclusives, Minx and Love Life)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

AEW provides a consistent live audience that is surprisingly resilient in terms of shifts in time and night. They're coming to the end of a deal signed when they were a barely tested new kid. WBD have made a lot of money from them.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
My apologies for missing those stories, for whatever reason they didn't come up in my search. I stand by my larger point of Warner's traditional broadcast networks remaining unaffected thus far, Westworld and The Nevers being removed from Max doesn't equate to cost-cutting at HBO just because that's where those shows started.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Barry Bluejeans posted:

My apologies for missing those stories, for whatever reason they didn't come up in my search. I stand by my larger point of Warner's traditional broadcast networks remaining unaffected thus far, Westworld and The Nevers being removed from Max doesn't equate to cost-cutting at HBO just because that's where those shows started.

The earlier round literally involved them pulling a finished season of a sitcom from TBS the night it was meant to premiere.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

It's also important to remember that AEW doesn't do reruns and that even if it did, nobody would be getting paid residuals for it. The math is completely different for AEW than the programming Zaslav is setting on fire.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Gaz-L posted:

The earlier round literally involved them pulling a finished season of a sitcom from TBS the night it was meant to premiere.

In what sense is that cost-cutting? Warner already paid to produce the second season of Chad and executives made it clear that the decision was part of the company's decision to put less emphasis on scripted content (which if anything should be seen as good news by AEW fans since wrestling doesn't fall under that umbrella).

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
WBD sure seems to be run by psycho capitalists that only care about max profits and have no interest in giving people something to watch, or having enough employees to do that without overworking them. the chance of anything good happening is very low

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

I’m starting to think none of this streaming stuff makes any sense nor turns a profit and we live in a sham society.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't there already a TV deal thread? I just want to get hyped for weekly ROH to start up again. Don't care where it airs.

Part of me is worried it's still a ways away since there wasn't any sort of Honor Club ad on the pape, but I'm also hopeful for a real big NJPW connection if they're waiting til after Wrestle Kingdom for official announcements.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Again, whatever ROH didn't get seems a lot less relevant than WBD once again adding AEW content with the new reality show when they had a chance earlier this year to bail completely on AEW reality shows. And the relevance of the HBO Max stuff is basically just more par for the course with WBD moving away from scripted. HBO Max is about to be combined with Discovery+ and unscripted content will be more important to the service. This could be good or bad for AEW, who knows. But right now it seems to be good for them on TV because WBD keeps buying their content.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Westworld was very poorly booked the past few seasons.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The thing with Westworld is it doesn't seem like they are going to take a write down on it, they are going to try to sell the rights to other streamers and I don't think this is the first time Westworld has gone off HBO Max. So at some point it will be back.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

HBO should trade Dogshit Westworld to AMC in exchange for Mad Men.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Westworld needs to become part of the Deadwood Cinematic Universe.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Lamuella posted:

Westworld needs to become part of the Deadwood Cinematic Universe.

Let Chuck Taylor say "Cocksucker"

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Honor Club seems a fine thing for the time being with so many networks being skittish and stuff getting axed left and right. I mean, you can be rich enough to buy an entire network like AXS and put your wrestling program on it, doesn't mean anyone will watch it (Although I think Impact did get over 100,000 viewers recently so good for them).

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

Which wrestler would do the best job cutting Al Swearengen’s “Pain or damage don’t end the world…” speech as a promo?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Actually, every single HBO show is part of the Dream On Extended Universe, as all the shows are the wild imaginings of TV obsessed Brian Benben. The TV static in the HBO show openings signals this

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What lovely streaming company is going to buy a show that got cancelled without a finale

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They like to do the cancelling themselves

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NienNunb posted:

HBO should trade Dogshit Westworld to AMC in exchange for Mad Men.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

they ought to make a cowboy show.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Still Thinking about “twenty-ocho”

Good crowd.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

The Stroker Ace posted:

Which wrestler would do the best job cutting Al Swearengen’s “Pain or damage don’t end the world…” speech as a promo?

Eddie Kingston. Butcher and Blade would be a fun option as well.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

ROH needs an EB Farnum and a Dan Dority now more than ever

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Nah The Libertines sucked

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Bring back the "white guy with beard" division to ROH.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Tato posted:

Actually, every single HBO show is part of the Dream On Extended Universe, as all the shows are the wild imaginings of TV obsessed Brian Benben. The TV static in the HBO show openings signals this

man i loved that show so much when i was fourteen

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rick posted:

Bring back the "white guy with beard" division to ROH.

It's called the tag team division.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

why do you think Tony put Josh Woods and Tony Nese together

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i can't wait to watch ring of honor on honor club

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

JOHN CENA posted:

i can't wait to watch ring of honor on honor club

Been saying this to myself every hour on the hour.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Ring of Hour on the Hour

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Gaz-L posted:

Alaois posted:

why do you think Tony put Josh Woods and Tony Nese together

lmao

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The Stroker Ace posted:

I’m starting to think none of this streaming stuff makes any sense nor turns a profit and we live in a sham society.

You're completely correct, and there were warning signs and people (*proudly raises hand among them) who'd seen this stuff coming from the moment the boom started that the burst was 1) coming and 2) going to be devastating when it hit. So far it's been Even Worse than expected, unfortunately/somehow (we all saw skyrocketing prices, every distributor trying to get a piece of the pie and a lot outright dying/being crippled in the process of trying and finding out the hard way about the burst, 2-3 monopolies that own everything taking control, etc; nobody ever could have expected that content would actually be erased from history entirely, and we're also seeing an unprecedented increase in content promised renewals having them rescinded and erased, even after already having been filmed)

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Quibi but for wrestling

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/rushtoroblanco/status/1602477865508798465

RUSH.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Quibi but for wrestling

Monday night raw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

You're completely correct, and there were warning signs and people (*proudly raises hand among them) who'd seen this stuff coming from the moment the boom started that the burst was 1) coming and 2) going to be devastating when it hit. So far it's been Even Worse than expected, unfortunately/somehow (we all saw skyrocketing prices, every distributor trying to get a piece of the pie and a lot outright dying/being crippled in the process of trying and finding out the hard way about the burst, 2-3 monopolies that own everything taking control, etc; nobody ever could have expected that content would actually be erased from history entirely, and we're also seeing an unprecedented increase in content promised renewals having them rescinded and erased, even after already having been filmed)

Yeah I'm still not sure how you can delete a show you already aired and call it a tax write off. I'd be surprised if anything surprised me anymore.