Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Dear Lord, science reporting is awful. "In practice, US scientists fire pellets that contain a hydrogen fuel into an array of nearly 200 lasers, essentially creating a series of extremely fast, repeated explosions at the rate of 50 times per second." "In practice" this is not a thing which happens. NIF can manage maybe one shot every 8 hours if everything goes perfectly. Literally nobody anywhere in the world is firing an ICF reactor 50 times per second. But CNN blithely states that this is a thing in actual practice.

What's going on here is they claim ignition, but ignition in ICF doesn't mean what it means in a tokamak. All it means is "more energy out from fusion than is in the lasers," and it's a pretty arbitrary point to compare energy inputs and outputs. They say they hit the pellet with 2 megajoules of laser energy (which checks out, that's what's left over in the beam after they frequency-double it from IR to UV), and got 2.5 megajoules of fusion.

The capacitors to fire the flashlamps to pump the laser gain medium require 422 megajoules of energy.

In other words, this is an incremental improvement over 8 years ago, when they were claiming they got more energy out from fusion than the pellet absorbed from the lasers, which is basically another arbitrary point of comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Phanatic posted:

Dear Lord, science reporting is awful. "In practice, US scientists fire pellets that contain a hydrogen fuel into an array of nearly 200 lasers, essentially creating a series of extremely fast, repeated explosions at the rate of 50 times per second." "In practice" this is not a thing which happens. NIF can manage maybe one shot every 8 hours if everything goes perfectly. Literally nobody anywhere in the world is firing an ICF reactor 50 times per second. But CNN blithely states that this is a thing in actual practice.

What's going on here is they claim ignition, but ignition in ICF doesn't mean what it means in a tokamak. All it means is "more energy out from fusion than is in the lasers," and it's a pretty arbitrary point to compare energy inputs and outputs. They say they hit the pellet with 2 megajoules of laser energy (which checks out, that's what's left over in the beam after they frequency-double it from IR to UV), and got 2.5 megajoules of fusion.

The capacitors to fire the flashlamps to pump the laser gain medium require 422 megajoules of energy.

In other words, this is an incremental improvement over 8 years ago, when they were claiming they got more energy out from fusion than the pellet absorbed from the lasers, which is basically another arbitrary point of comparison.

Wait, seriously? The real ratio would then be like 422 in to get 2.5 out. I thought the major hurdle is that it's essentially worthless for commercial power generation given scaling issues, I didn't realize they were STILL trying to fudge numbers like this.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

It’s all kind of irrelevant because the NIF mostly exists to do nuclear weapons research, not really for fusion energy.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Kalman posted:

It’s all kind of irrelevant because the NIF mostly exists to do nuclear weapons research, not really for fusion energy.

That's 100% not how lay media or fusion fanboys cover it.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Figure out a way to weaponize a magnetically confined fusion device and we will have unlimited clean energy by 2030.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Pander posted:

Wait, seriously? The real ratio would then be like 422 in to get 2.5 out.

Yes, seriously. The magnetic fusion people do this too, where they start talking about Q only in terms of how much energy they’re injecting into the plasma and ignoring the energy *inputs* required by their particle beams and RF oscillators. It just becomes even more apparent with ICF because neodymium glass lasers have an electrical-to-optical efficiency of like a percent or two.

Like I said, this is a deliberate misinformation campaign. If prodded they can say “oh, we know what we’re talking about among ourselves, it’s not our fault if the reporters got the wrong idea” but at this point it totally is.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The idea that it is a deliberate misinformation campaign I think is a very dangerous thing to say about scientists when climate change denialism is really widespread and also tends to claim scientists are spreading misinformation. The simpler explanation is the "science media" is just bad at conveying this information, because the media is bad about conveying information about everything else, i.e trickle down economics, republican taxation policies, etc.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

The idea that it is a deliberate misinformation campaign I think is a very dangerous thing to say about scientists when climate change denialism is really widespread and also tends to claim scientists are spreading misinformation. The simpler explanation is the "science media" is just bad at conveying this information, because the media is bad about conveying information about everything else, i.e trickle down economics, republican taxation policies, etc.

No, the researchers in question know exactly how the media will respond to their claims of "net energy gain" and could be very sure to avoid making those claims and making it very clear what the input energy requirements are, they don't get to blame the miscommunication that has everyone from NYT to Wapo to National Review trumpeting the same nonsense on the media. If it's their first rodeo, okay, but it's not, and they know how it works by now.

It's not "deliberate" in the sense that they all got together in a smoke-filled room somewhere and came up with this plan, but it doesn't have to be. They need media buzz, the media needs something to buzz about, all of their interests align with reporting an end-to-end efficiency of 0.6% as an energy gain of 20%, so none of them is going to do anything to prevent that.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's not dangerous, it's obvious in a world where grants are the lifeblood of the scientists in question.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I don’t think NIF runs on the usual grant cycle. The hype is for public support to influence congress who cuts the checks.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Raenir Salazar posted:

"Renewables and fission are hard and unnecessary, miracles are around the corner, leave the hard work to us" is climate change denialism as is pouring billions into frankly anything other than crash decarbonization and hardening.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

slurm posted:

"Renewables and fission are hard and unnecessary, miracles are around the corner, leave the hard work to us" is climate change denialism as is pouring billions into frankly anything other than crash decarbonization and hardening.

Who is saying "Renewables and fission are hard and unnecessary, miracles are around the corner, leave the hard work to us"?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Phanatic posted:

I'd bet a dollar magnetized target fusion is probably going to be viable before any of these other things like ICF. They've been hitting their development milestones since 2002 and won't be ready for a commercially viable reactor until the mid 2030s.

Also the principal is in concept just a piston engine except the working fluid is liquid metal and instead of combustible petrochemicals you inject a fusable helium gas, which is pretty funny

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

Also the principal is in concept just a piston engine except the working fluid is liquid metal and instead of combustible petrochemicals you inject a fusable helium gas, which is pretty funny

:iiaca:

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

The announcement itself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r91Q4dAHnUw

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Not available in my country.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Can't wait for us to have 2 completely different nuclear generation techs that we will will underutilize.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Jaxyon posted:

Can't wait for us to have 2 completely different nuclear generation techs that we will will underutilize.

All of them are presumably years if not decades away from maturation, unless you mean underfunded? Well they're all also underfunded and its probably a good idea to have multiple projects in parallel; they just all need to be funded a lot more but we're struggling even with just more funding to proven fission designs and moving away from coal, and other fossil fuels so.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Raenir Salazar posted:

All of them are presumably years if not decades away from maturation, unless you mean underfunded? Well they're all also underfunded and its probably a good idea to have multiple projects in parallel; they just all need to be funded a lot more but we're struggling even with just more funding to proven fission designs and moving away from coal, and other fossil fuels so.

I'm saying we could be doing a lot more fission but we won't and we won't be doing fusion eithr

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

Not available in my country.

Don't worry, it's not available in any country. :haw:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sundae posted:

Don't worry, it's not available in any country. :haw:

It's just maybe two decades away from being everywhere though!

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

Does this affect ITER at all or is that a completely different approach to fusion?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr posted:

Does this affect ITER at all or is that a completely different approach to fusion?

ITER seems to be a magnetic confinement reactor while the result above is about inertial (?) confinement.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr posted:

It's a completely different approach to fusion.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
There are dozens of different approaches and each one has the goal of collecting enough data to build a few more and better prototypes to collect more data. None of these designs will produce a net power, because that's not the immediate goal.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Has anyone tried doing fission and fusion at once?

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Raenir Salazar posted:

Who is saying "Renewables and fission are hard and unnecessary, miracles are around the corner, leave the hard work to us"?

This is the whole "thing" with fusion, I'd be interested to see how much fusion PR is funded by fossil fuels.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, we did that 70 years ago.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

slurm posted:

This is the whole "thing" with fusion, I'd be interested to see how much fusion PR is funded by fossil fuels.

It isn't though? Please provide evidence to back up your claims.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

Yes, actually.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Discendo Vox posted:

Yes, we've placed many such devices at the top of large rockets. Very futuristic.

e: f,b

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Q was greater than one, too.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Raenir Salazar posted:

Tbqh it might be necessary to post evidence that any particular "don't bother changing, science will save you" message isn't backed by fossil extraction interests.

I can't speak to the other guy's "the fossil industry acts in self interest" claim other than to say that it's completely plausible if not historically likely to preponderance, but I do now have an aggravating amount of firsthand evidence that people are reading "oh okay, climate solved, yay" into it :bang:

I don't remember if it was in here or somewhere else that someone pointed out that fission is cheaper than fusion will be, so it's not like our cost-obsessed, government-doesn't-exist-to-act society would allow fusion to actually take off at scale necessary to address climate change. We could address climate change today, yet we aren't.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 14, 2022

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

First google result, lol:
https://www.geekwire.com/2022/more-funding-for-fusion-seattle-startup-lands-160m-and-reveals-technology-breakthrough/

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/07/19/google-chevron-invest-in-fusion-startup-tae-technologies.html

Etc.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

there is often an educational earmark attached to grants ultimately subsidizing fossil companies. infuriatingly, paying to mislead the public counts

I know this because I used to do policy work at a university and this would come up as the ultimate source of some contacts for liberal arts deliverables lol lmao

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Potato Salad posted:

Tbqh it might be necessary to post evidence that any particular "don't bother changing, science will save you" message isn't backed by fossil extraction interests.

I can't speak to the other guy's "the fossil industry acts in self interest" claim other than to say that it's completely plausible if not historically likely to preponderance, but I do now have an aggravating amount of firsthand evidence that people are reading "oh okay, climate solved, yay" into it :bang:

The problem here is slurm wrote their post in such a way as though they were implying that it was my position; hence my reasonable request that they provide evidence of the strawman that they put in quotes they wrote in response to my post.

Also non-falsifiable idle speculation isn't very interesting, the least they can do is expand on their position that fusions entire "thing" is that "renewables are unnecessary". I don't think there is anyone suggesting anywhere that fusion means we don't need to do anything else to decarbonize, and if this is the messaging somewhere I think its reasonable to ask for evidence.

As for random commentors online going "yay", I think its people assuming that based on current trends re: renewables and other efforts by governments and organizations to cut down on emissions and improve efficiencies, that fusion might be the last key in an otherwise intractible puzzle to avoid the worst case scenario of climate apocolypse.

See this video by Kurzgesagt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxgMdjyw8uw

Did you read the links? I feel like that these don't actually substantiate the argument slurm was making. :allears:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Raenir Salazar posted:

As for random commentors online going "yay", I think its people assuming that based on current trends re: renewables and other efforts by governments and organizations to cut down on emissions and improve efficiencies, that fusion might be the last key in an otherwise intractible puzzle to avoid the worst case scenario of climate apocolypse.

actually these are acquaintances in my personal communities, and no your hypothesis about their conclusion is incorrect

it's interesting that you asked for evidence a few posts up, then started offering hypotheses with no evidence or direct experience whatsoever

was it in here or the climate thread where we had a pretty good conversation about toxic positivity last month?

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 14, 2022

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

The problem here is slurm wrote their post in such a way as though they were implying that it was my position; hence my reasonable request that they provide evidence of the strawman that they put in quotes they wrote in response to my post.

Also non-falsifiable idle speculation isn't very interesting, the least they can do is expand on their position that fusions entire "thing" is that "renewables are unnecessary". I don't think there is anyone suggesting anywhere that fusion means we don't need to do anything else to decarbonize, and if this is the messaging somewhere I think its reasonable to ask for evidence.

See this video by Kurzgesagt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxgMdjyw8uw

Did you read the links? I feel like that these don't actually substantiate the argument slurm was making. :allears:

It is well documented that Shell et al do these investments as greenwashing; at Shell I know alternative energy projects come out of the PR/marketing budget instead of R&D.

Shell isn’t rolling up to the NYT with a giant Publisher’s Clearing House check with “a good alternative energy 4q22” in the memo line. But you can count that zap can use Shell’s PR network’s contacts of every energy and science reporter in the country to pitch stories.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Potato Salad posted:

actually these are acquaintances in my personal communities, and no your hypothesis about their conclusion is incorrect

it's interesting that you asked for evidence a few posts up, then started offering hypotheses with no evidence or direct experience whatsoever

evidence for me not for thee

Okay... Well first of all, I think its clear I was giving your acquaintances the benefit of the doubt and assuming what you relayed is 100% accurate; but if we're going to be pulling teeth here for no reason at all; (1) Anecdotal evidence is at best a kind of hearsay which is at best a 'kind of evidence'; (2) I have no evidence that what you said is an accurate representation of what your friends said, or what they believe; it could've been garbled in a game of telephone. (3) Even if what you conveyed was an accurate word for word transcription it still might not be an accurate representation of what they believe in their heart of hearts, so I feel it is perfectly reasonable for me to for the purposes of conversation and for the sake of the argument, the best possible interpretation benefit of the doubt version of the argument your friends are actually making. Because that's more interesting to discuss than the worst version of what they're saying.

This has nothing to do with evidence or needing someone to back up their claims, you said someone else said something potentially silly and all I did was suggest what if they meant something that was slightly less silly. There is no reason for you to be doing this? Like it isn't like I can ask your friends to elaborate on their position; I'm not quite sure where you're getting the idea that this is "evidence for me and not for thee" I just don't understand how that follows.

in a well actually posted:

It is well documented that Shell et al do these investments as greenwashing; at Shell I know alternative energy projects come out of the PR/marketing budget instead of R&D.

Shell isn’t rolling up to the NYT with a giant Publisher’s Clearing House check with “a good alternative energy 4q22” in the memo line. But you can count that zap can use Shell’s PR network’s contacts of every energy and science reporter in the country to pitch stories.

I think there's a wide difference, between the claim that "Fossil fuels fund fusion PR in order to get society to avoid renewables and Fusion has no other benefit" and what's happening here? Like just patently on its face these are different things? Like is it not a good thing that these companies ARE in fact seemingly deciding to bet on new emerging technologies that might help with climate change now that there's a market and goodwill to be earned from doing so? Its probably not the most efficious investment w.r.t combating climate change but its hardly "green party astroturfing", like in the grand scale of things this is a very small amount of money but this isn't like to use another example; Musk proposing the hyperloop to avoid the expansion of actually effective mass transit. This isn't taking away any investment that would have gone to renewables or taking attention/messaging away from the need for continuing to shift to renewables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Deuce posted:

Yes, we've placed many such devices at the top of large rockets. Very futuristic.
e: f,b

Phanatic posted:

Deteriorata posted:

Yes, actually.

:thejoke: