Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cleretic posted:

And personally, my perspective is close to what you said without just shrugging it off: they've been able to go dark and serious before without jacking up the classification rating, so why is this one suddenly different?

because they feel like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
They've done 15 mainline games and countless spinoffs and side games with wildly different styles and feels- I don't see why they'd want to do anything different now!

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
The control scheme for Crisis Core Reunion is probably objectively better, but muscle memory is a hell of a drug so I might end up switching it to something closer to the PSP controls for the face buttons.

Also, someone tell me if the new voice acting is good or not. With how much I've played the original, making an objective judgement is impossible as anything that doesn't match the replay I did just last year (or the other fifteen I've done in the last decade) is going to sound sound wrong no matter how good or bad it actually is.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Honestly 12, 8, 13, and 9 all feel super different from each other to me. Hell, 12 especially for some reason seems almost like it's not even a Final Fantasy game (it still rules). So 16 being wildly different is cool and good.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

Makes sense if Rebirth is targeting Christmas 2023.

speaking, the next FF7 still "isn't planned to come to PC" right? Or did they finally relent on that

Hopefully it's not such a long wait again

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

DanielCross posted:

Also, someone tell me if the new voice acting is good or not. With how much I've played the original, making an objective judgement is impossible as anything that doesn't match the replay I did just last year (or the other fifteen I've done in the last decade) is going to sound sound wrong no matter how good or bad it actually is.

The further I get the more I’m warming to nuZack, but I can’t tell if that’s Stockholm syndrome.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

speaking, the next FF7 still "isn't planned to come to PC" right? Or did they finally relent on that

Hopefully it's not such a long wait again

I think all that’s been said is PS5 currently. Obviously it’ll come to PC eventually, but they’re not talking about it yet.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

SoP: Got through the Crystal Tower and the FFIV zone (not sure what it's supposed to be based on, the Tower of Babil or Zot?). Delighted to see Tiamat again, I guess we rescued Sophia from the time loop by killing Tiamat. Sophia can be a Dragoon, too, so I suppose she is the official Dragoon (and Black Mage).

I chose to go after the Earth Crystal first, so it appears we are going to Mt. Gagazet from FFX.

So far the story is... not spectacular, probably the worst FF story. It isn't actively terrible, though, I suppose. I think I'm finally sort of getting used to the game play, but I'm still bad. It's fun, but it's not my favorite. In my defense, the last third person action game I played was Star Wars Fallen Order or whatever it's called, and before that, it was probably loving Jak and Daxter on the PS2. This is not my genre of choice. Like I said, though, it's still a fun game. I wonder if Jack and Sophia will end up being a couple because it appears that she, too, fervently wishes to kill Chaos.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

I just got SoP, is this a soulslike? I've never played a souls game and this is whipping my rear end on normal. I can barely get by the second bomb in the first level. Is there any basic advice on getting good at this or should I do a run on easy to learn how to actually play the drat game.

Otherwise this game looks great and I am very excited for all this Chaos and the killing of.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
So, I've very much only tipped my toes in Final Fantasy. I've played all of Kingdom Hearts, and like two years ago I played the Switch port of FF7. I got 7R on PS5 earlier this year when Walmart had it for 20 bucks by mistake. I wanted 7R2 to be remotely close before going in on the Remake, and now that it's like a year away and Crisis Core Rebirth just came out, I figured the time was right. Double specially with FF6 Pixel Remaster being rated for consoles and Devil May Fantasy 6teen in the summer coming for my balls.

However, I'm a sicko. I can't just hop into 7R or CC right away, I need to get into the Compilation and watch Advent Children.

I had heard forever that Advent Children mischaracterized Cloud, that it was too serious and made him too emo, but halfway in it still feels like that goofy Cloud we love, with his impostor syndrome breakdown replaced with regret, regret of having super cancer. The allmighty flip phone, the most important device created, is a pretty good way to look at the character, too. This movie kinda rules and is the funniest thing.
https://twitter.com/morningmoonmeme/status/1602853855187853312

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I just got SoP, is this a soulslike? I've never played a souls game and this is whipping my rear end on normal. I can barely get by the second bomb in the first level. Is there any basic advice on getting good at this or should I do a run on easy to learn how to actually play the drat game.

Otherwise this game looks great and I am very excited for all this Chaos and the killing of.

Bombs at least can be cheesed by soul guarding their opening Fire cast and spamming it at them, they absorb the damage but after Growing three times they explode and do severe damage to anything around them.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

After 35 years the world is ready for a Final Fantasy that fucks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

The world is finally ready for a Final Fantasy that fucks.

Final Fantasy has been a huge fan of beavers since FF2

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Spam the poo poo out of soul shield if it's not unblockable. Knocking enemies into walls and junk really staggers them. Be as angry as possible.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Fister Roboto posted:

After 35 years the world is ready for a Final Fantasy that fucks.

It doesn't matter how much actual loving is in XVI, it will always be below XII as being the Final Fantasy that fucks the most.

A couple others might beat it too, but I feel XII has the most characters with 'this person fucks' energy.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Purely by the metric of "number of random NPC's who talk about loving in various colorful-yet-on-the-nose-euphemisms," XIV probably takes the crown as "The FF that fucks most. But that game also has the advantage of having possibly the largest number of incidental NPC's in the series, so it's probably cheating.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
No one in FF12 has ever had sex. Balthier's whole deal is acting like a suave guy who everyone else kind of makes fun of, Ashe's husband died before any of that and Basch thinks only of duty.

Even Al-Cid only keeps a companion to hold his shades. No one in any ivalice has ever had sex. They dig the humes out of the mud.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

DanielCross posted:

Purely by the metric of "number of random NPC's who talk about loving in various colorful-yet-on-the-nose-euphemisms," XIV probably takes the crown as "The FF that fucks most. But that game also has the advantage of having possibly the largest number of incidental NPC's in the series, so it's probably cheating.

I'm mostly talking main cast members. And for as much as the game's greater cast fucks, XIV is let down by the fact that the core cast fucks so little that I'm not surprised if out of all the Scions, only Thancred even knows what loving is.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Cleretic posted:

I'm mostly talking main cast members. And for as much as the game's greater cast fucks, XIV is let down by the fact that the core cast fucks so little that I'm not surprised if out of all the Scions, only Thancred even knows what loving is.

If Hancock is to be believed, Tataru fucks more than the rest of the Scions combined and then some :v:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Urianger also canonically fucks, both his hold Big Girlfriend and others given some lines about him from Thancred.

Tataru also kills it wherever she goes, both HW and StB had bits of NPCs talking about how many suitors she had coming around asking for her.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'll have you know my the main character's wife Y'shtola has only 1 sexual partner and that is me, the Warrior of Light :colbert:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
What the gently caress, Advent Children is actually the best videogame movie ever made??

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MorningMoon posted:

What the gently caress, Advent Children is actually the best videogame movie ever made??

You and I have very divergent taste in films, but its release on DVD did mandate FFXIII be forced into a playable state so I think I have to agree.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

playing crisis core for the first time and we have an aeris situation: they claim his name is Zack but the japanese audio is clearly saying Za-ch every time. his name is Zach

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MorningMoon posted:

A very high bar to clear, for sure.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

MorningMoon posted:

Shout out to Red XIII having like 2 seconds of screentime because rendering fur with that level of detail in the early '00s was utter hell.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Been playing Crisis Core Reunion all day and I am so happy it fixes pretty much every single issue I had with the PSP version. About the only complaint I have is that the dialog was taken straight from the PSP version and then given voice acting, and the voice actors are 1.) not good, and 2.) the dialog was never good and it has aged terribly in 2022. This is really the only downside to the game in my opinion, in what is otherwise become one of the best modern Final Fantasy titles. Where the PSP version was a deeply flawed game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Been playing Crisis Core Reunion all day and I am so happy it fixes pretty much every single issue I had with the PSP version. About the only complaint I have is that the dialog was taken straight from the PSP version and then given voice acting, and the voice actors are 1.) not good, and 2.) the dialog was never good and it has aged terribly in 2022. This is really the only downside to the game in my opinion, in what is otherwise become one of the best modern Final Fantasy titles. Where the PSP version was a deeply flawed game.

Is it really the translator's fault? I always think back to how Alexander O. Smith (of FFX and FFXII fame) worked on Star Ocean 3. A translator can only do so much, just like an actor can only work with what they're given. If you hand a great actor a lovely script, you can't blame them for what comes out of it. And if you hand a localizer a badly written video game, what can they do.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

Is it really the translator's fault? I always think back to how Alexander O. Smith (of FFX and FFXII fame) worked on Star Ocean 3. A translator can only do so much, just like an actor can only work with what they're given. If you hand a great actor a lovely script, you can't blame them for what comes out of it. And if you hand a localizer a badly written video game, what can they do.

Right, that all makes sense. I wasn't trying to place blame on anyone specifically, but just want to mention that it's still not that good. Regardless it's pretty much the only "issue", and that is highly subjective. The game otherwise is perfect.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
I'm playing FF2 for the first time with the pixel remaster. I just got to Leviathan and I didn't expect this at all, this owns.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

parasyte posted:

I'm playing FF2 for the first time with the pixel remaster. I just got to Leviathan and I didn't expect this at all, this owns.

FF2 is very fun in Pixel Remaster but watch the hell out for Couerls and anything else that can inflict status effects due to game changes

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Cleretic posted:

I'm pretty sure Aenor's only job on the Scions, and possibly her only purpose in life, is to gently caress.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Super No Vacancy posted:

playing crisis core for the first time and we have an aeris situation: they claim his name is Zack but the japanese audio is clearly saying Za-ch every time. his name is Zach

They're saying 'Zacks' plural, foreshadowing a late game twist

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Dec 14, 2022

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Been watching some streams of Crisis Core. My only exposure to it are thing people have said about the characters, but I kinda like Genesis? Yeah, he's a pretentious blowhard who'd fit right in CineD with his Loveless obsession, but at least the story's honest about him being an overdramatic jackass.

On the other hand, I thought Angeal sucks. The story keeps trying to give him pathos like never using the Buster Sword or MUH DREAMS AND HONOR but the things he actually does during the story make it fall flat for me.

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

It's a lot more like Nioh, having been made by the same devs. You have three defensive options: Dodge-roll which is best used to get out of the way of an AOE attack, or when enemies flash red and are about to do an unblockable grab. Regular guard that costs nothing and is useful when a boss is doing a multi-hit combo. Lastly, we have the Soul Shield, which has these properties:

- Using the Soul Shield uses up the yellow meter at the bottom of the screen. If it's depleted, Jack gets stunned until it replenishes to full. Your job classes have a separate yellow meter, so get in the flow of switching jobs during the middle of a fight to recharge your Soul Shield.
- You can actually just hold the Soul Shield button down until the enemy's move hits you, so it's not as strict with the timing like in a Soulslike. However, doing this depletes your yellow meter faster so watch out for that.
- A successful block with the Soul Shield recovers some MP, so you can play it defensively during boss fights.
- If an enemy does a purple attack, you can use the Soul Shield to nab a few charges of it. Usually, the boss' purple attack can be used against them to disrupt one of their phases or bullshit move.
- When using the Guard against a boss' multi-hit combo, you can use the Soul Shield on the last hit and press the attack button to do a counterhit.

Let's see, what else... If you lock on an enemy and the reticle is red, that means they're aggro'd on you. If it's blue, they're attacking your party members. Be sure to keep this in mind when trying to find an opening to cast spells. The Lightbringer skill reduces your maximum MP, but it lets you do more damage to an enemy's break gauge and it pairs well with job classes that do a lot of break meter damage with its skills. Oh, and your party members do good damage in fights. Remember to press left or right on the D-pad to temporarily make them more aggressive to an enemy. Your party actually does decent damage and are useful even in boss fights.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Schwartzcough posted:

I'm pretty sure Aenor's only job on the Scions, and possibly her only purpose in life, is to gently caress.

Most people would be terrified at the thought of being crushed between two boulders. Not Aenor.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

amigolupus posted:

The story keeps trying to give him pathos like never using the Buster Sword

I always found the Buster Sword backstory hilarious.

Like, Angeal's dad went so in debt to make the sword that he ended up working himself into an early grave. For a sword with 18 power and 2 materia slots.

Meanwhile, Kalm has Mythril Sabers that has 23 power and 3 slots for 1000 gil.

Either everyone is extremely poor in Banora, or Angeal's dad got loving scammed.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I picked up SoP again after a few month hiatus. Is this game telling me that elves are space aliens?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Barudak posted:

FF2 is very fun in Pixel Remaster but watch the hell out for Couerls and anything else that can inflict status effects due to game changes

It sure is wild that a few months back they put out a patch that changed a few mechanics but left that 100% hit rate for status effects in.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Working as intended

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

BisbyWorl posted:

I always found the Buster Sword backstory hilarious.

Like, Angeal's dad went so in debt to make the sword that he ended up working himself into an early grave. For a sword with 18 power and 2 materia slots.

Meanwhile, Kalm has Mythril Sabers that has 23 power and 3 slots for 1000 gil.

Either everyone is extremely poor in Banora, or Angeal's dad got loving scammed.
Is this the same time period? FFVII is many years later, so they got better at making swords. But then, you have regular stores selling terrorism to the common folk in a society ruled by Big Energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

FrostyPox posted:

Hmm I might do the SoP DLCs much later, I am reading that they're pretty grindy.

Edit: and difficult, too. I am bad at SoP so I fear it would take a long time for me to do them

The DLCs have very little plot. They’re more for people who love the gameplay and want to rpg mechanics to actually matter. It’s fine to skip them if that’s not your thing.

One thing you may not be aware of — the higher “tiers” of jobs have much higher stats, especially hp, than the lower tiers until post game, where things even out. You can absolutely stay in a basic job all game, but you’ll have an easier time in an expert job. Advice on jobs, spoilered just in case: Sage is by far the strongest magic job, while breaker is really powerful for melee. Ninja is a great support job, since utsusemi costs no mp and perfectly protects you from 3 hits. Perfectly avoiding 60 hits in a boss fight is really, really good.

The story really only pays off at the very, very end, by the way.