Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
and magic show

Magicians getting no respect for their tricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Does anybody have any advice about cutting baseplates? I've got a few ideas I want to experiment with for modulars and it'd be easier if I could just make my own 16x32 baseplates (or smaller) rather than mucking around with Bricklink.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I still don't like the kerning of JAZZCLUB.

yeah a horizontal 1x2 tile in between would fix it, but... i can already see that will mess up the look of the sign.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Does anybody have any advice about cutting baseplates? I've got a few ideas I want to experiment with for modulars and it'd be easier if I could just make my own 16x32 baseplates (or smaller) rather than mucking around with Bricklink.

https://shop.bricktastics.com/produ...pBoCTjoQAvD_BwE

These guys sell unbranded 16x32 plates in a bunch of colours for a reasonable price (cheaper if you get a 5 or 10 pack of random colours) and they're in Australia, so shipping might be quick and not insanely costly for you.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You monster. What color are you looking for? I've got tons of 16x32, 16x16, 8x16, etc kicking around and would be happy to swap for a 32x32 old gray, crater plates, space landing plates, etc.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Good modular but I think I like the hotel better. Won't rule out getting it down the line, though.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
It's a pretty fine modular. I certainly like it more than in the leaked photos - like I mentioned somewhere, the super flat lighting did it no favors, especially since depth is so import to the design of this one.

That said, I don't like it nearly as much as Boutique Hotel. Interestingly, both were designed by the same person, according to this Brickset interview. I thought this was interesting:

quote:

Yes the hotel was ambitious in its geometry, and because of that geometry it challenged us in many ways, its building techniques, as well as the pricing of elements. Plus, combining it with a novel colour, it was a push!

That's not to say we wouldn't ever try something like that again, but there was also just a call to think about where to spend our budget. We could put interesting geometry inside a building like this and, just thinking about the architecture of where a jazz club may belong, the exterior really didn't need to be incredibly complicated.

You don't have too read too hard between the lines for it to feel as if somebody up the chain said "hey, you were way too ambitious on the Boutique Hotel and it cost us too much to make, so scale it back this year." Hard not to feel like this is a real step back from the Hotel as a result, like much of the design philosophy was "hold on, not too crazy this time, guys."

edit: I'm not saying it's bad, just that it never had a chance to push the envelope of the medium like last year's.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 14, 2022

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

quote:

There's also a little tiny bathroom under the stairs.

there's always a toilet

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

ElwoodCuse posted:

there's always a toilet

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

no wonder it's called Bioshock

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem
It’s probably too late to get a Batwing, huh? I just saw that it’s retiring this year.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Question/comment about City of Lanterns:

Apparently, it is only available from the website. They don't sell it in stores. The site does not list it as exclusive which would mean amazon/target/walmart would sell it, too. But as far as I can tell, they don't.

This is weird, right?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Carbohydrates posted:

It's a pretty fine modular. I certainly like it more than in the leaked photos - like I mentioned somewhere, the super flat lighting did it no favors, especially since depth is so import to the design of this one.

That said, I don't like it nearly as much as Boutique Hotel. Interestingly, both were designed by the same person, according to this Brickset interview. I thought this was interesting:

You don't have too read too hard between the lines for it to feel as if somebody up the chain said "hey, you were way too ambitious on the Boutique Hotel and it cost us too much to make, so scale it back this year." Hard not to feel like this is a real step back from the Hotel as a result, like much of the design philosophy was "hold on, not too crazy this time, guys."

edit: I'm not saying it's bad, just that it never had a chance to push the envelope of the medium like last year's.

This all makes total sense, although comparing anything to the hotel is gonna be unfavorable for a while to come I think. That thing may be peak modular.

I guess my immediately positive reaction comes from really wanting another conventionally shaped, edge to edge, building - it being a music club is just a bonus.

It's totally personal preference here, but I think the more uniquely shaped buildings shine when they're breaking the pattern if you know what I mean. For me, putting two busy modulars next to each other doesn't look good and a lot of the street scenes they've been creating with the most recent ones for the box backs just become too hard to read.

Also my favourites are the diner, detective's, restaurant and cinema so I'm clearly going with a theme here that jazz club will fit perfectly into.

e: but I'm also of the hot take opinions that the corner garage is great and assembly square is cluttered looking, so probably best to ignore me.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 14, 2022

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lizard Combatant posted:

https://shop.bricktastics.com/produ...pBoCTjoQAvD_BwE

These guys sell unbranded 16x32 plates in a bunch of colours for a reasonable price (cheaper if you get a 5 or 10 pack of random colours) and they're in Australia, so shipping might be quick and not insanely costly for you.

Thanks, that's a handy option to have.

I wouldn't mind having the option of going down to 12 or 8 wide for book nooks or alleyways so I'd still be interested in any comments about cutting.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Smaller baseplates exist, too. I think I have some 8 x 16s. For a book nook or anything that doesn't need to connect to another baseplate, you can just build on standard plates. I'm not actually a hardcore anti-cutting purist, but I am a fan of exploring all your other possible options first.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

8 year old me cut a baseplate to get tiles with studs on top back in the 80's before such parts existed. Well, "tiles." They still have antistud divots but they aren't usable antistuds. It was smooth enough that I could push around whatever I was building without much friction.

Now whenever I see one of them in my bin I curse young me for being such an idiot.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
New Harry Potter sets.
https://brickset.com/article/86934/new-harry-potter-sets-revealed!

There's some weird House banners that you hang on the wall.

Don't buy them though, because Rowling is anti-trans trash.

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Lizard Combatant posted:

This all makes total sense, although comparing anything to the hotel is gonna be unfavorable for a while to come I think. That thing may be peak modular.

I guess my immediately positive reaction comes from really wanting another conventionally shaped, edge to edge, building - it being a music club is just a bonus.

It's totally personal preference here, but I think the more uniquely shaped buildings shine when they're breaking the pattern if you know what I mean. For me, putting two busy modulars next to each other doesn't look good and a lot of the street scenes they've been creating with the most recent ones for the box backs just become too hard to read.

Also my favourites are the diner, detective's, restaurant and cinema so I'm clearly going with a theme here that jazz club will fit perfectly into.

e: but I'm also of the hot take opinions that the corner garage is great and assembly square is cluttered looking, so probably best to ignore me.

It looks good between the Police Station and Boutique Hotel, and makes me want it more, as well as the Police Station. As you say it's the right amount of nondescript (which is also one of the things I like about Assembly Square, but it also benefits from being an overall larger set than the others) for a larger city/street with other more visually distinct buildings.

I think they could have done better on the sign than JAZZCLUB. I'd be changing (at least the spacing on) that for sure.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Carbohydrates posted:

Smaller baseplates exist, too. I think I have some 8 x 16s.

I have a weird tan 8x32 I got in a bulk lot that's from some Australian outback airstrip set. Didn't have much else from the set so I repurposed it to turn the Hidden Side graveyard into a wider display area for any halloween-ish minifigs.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

davebo posted:

I have a weird tan 8x32 I got in a bulk lot that's from some Australian outback airstrip set. Didn't have much else from the set so I repurposed it to turn the Hidden Side graveyard into a wider display area for any halloween-ish minifigs.

My weirdest is a pair of 40x40 green plates that showed up in a bulk lot - apparently they came in only 1 Samsonite set from 1971 and were never made again.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I got my 77-year-old mom the sunflower set for her birthday last week because she loves sunflowers. She had no idea that this kit existed and was absolutely beaming with delight when she opened the box.

Just wanted to share that with you guys

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

EEKA GEEK posted:

It looks good between the Police Station and Boutique Hotel, and makes me want it more, as well as the Police Station. As you say it's the right amount of nondescript (which is also one of the things I like about Assembly Square, but it also benefits from being an overall larger set than the others) for a larger city/street with other more visually distinct buildings.

I think they could have done better on the sign than JAZZCLUB. I'd be changing (at least the spacing on) that for sure.
Feels rude to say but "good as filler" is not a compelling enough selling point to me lol. Even though I dislike it, I am still surprised to see so much negativity toward this one from so many sources. Modulars are usually a real high point and I was hoping for something to bring people back around after some of the poorly received, high profile stuff we've seen in the back half of '22.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I’m surprised to hear people don’t like it, looks good to me!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

:same:

The Police station hate was deserved. Even if LEGO has these things in development years out, they should have read the room and either not published it or changed it into something else.

But this new one looks totally fine. Most years the modular is really good. The only failure they have had since the early ones is the book store and that is because they did it on two plates. (and it's almost a copy of the pet shop)

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I know a few people who have done it and apparently it's pretty straightforward, all you need is a sharp knife and a straghtedge, and even just a row of bricks on the board is good enough for most purposes - just make sure you sand down the edges and corners afterwards.

Ironically, IIRC that's how Lego makes the baseplates - they're manufactured in a huge sheet like a piece of paper and then cut to size. These days it's just 32x32 and 48x48 but previously there's been all sorts of sizes, some really weird.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Apparently the 2022 modular was originally going to be a newspaper HQ but was scrapped because of the Daily Bugle. They didn’t want both on shelves at the same time.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Flyinglemur posted:

I got my 77-year-old mom the sunflower set for her birthday last week because she loves sunflowers. She had no idea that this kit existed and was absolutely beaming with delight when she opened the box.

:3:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Flyinglemur posted:

The thread needs way more of this and way less politics. That's pretty great, good on you.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ChesterJT posted:

and way less politics.
???
?

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

THERE YOU GO AGAIN

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

RatHat posted:

Apparently the 2022 modular was originally going to be a newspaper HQ but was scrapped because of the Daily Bugle. They didn’t want both on shelves at the same time.

But isn't it the Daily Bugle Channel now? Which is why they have all those tv screens on it. I'd love an actual printing press for newspapers in a modular.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

The Apollo 11 Lander set is a really fun build.

That is all.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That is all.

this is true

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That is all.

The footsteps are so cute.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Put a couple of little $10-$15 sets on my wishlist for my work's secret santa, hopefully whoever drew me takes the hint :shobon:

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/telehandler-42133
https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/cyber-drone-31111

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I built the new Xmas set over the past week. It's okay. The toy store building was the most interesting part. I still feel like the first 4 in the line are the best 4. Maybe it is 5.

Cottage, bakery, post office and market are all great. I wish they'd kept going in that direction.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Police station modular is fine because it is canon that Lego cops spend their time busting cookie smugglers. They probably let crooks out after a night in jail after promising not to do it again. It’s less like hellscape dystopia and more like getting wasted/busted in GTA.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I really like the Police Station modular visually, and it'd be so easy to mod it into other civic buildings like a post office, town hall or museum.

radlum
May 13, 2013
The modular Police Station is the only modular set that has any discount on my country’s official Lego distributor. I’m always tempted to buy it…but even with discount it is quite expensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

To be honest, I'm surprised people actually like stuff. This is not directly related to Lego, but to other branches like games, movies etc. Seems like stuff is either the best thing ever and exactly what they expected, or an actual insult to the universe itself, like there's no in between anymore.

Had to think about this couple days back when the topic game to truly awful games, you know, like stuff that was REALLY unplayable and not fun, but "gamers" back then (let's say NES and SNES era) sometimes just shrugged, finished it and well yeah, bad game. Nowadays it seems if something does not release exactly to ones expectations, you have get out the torches and pitchforks to loudly proclaim on the net how absolutely awful it is, people are stupid for liking it etc.

Not directed at this thread or SA in general, mind you, but I have to say I sometimes miss having an actual dignified discussion about some product...(which is still possible here)

What troubles me with this is that imo it doesn't lead to better products per se, but to a general ignorance of criticism on the creator's part simply because it's getting so drat hard to discern valid criticism from...well...what we have now for a lot of productions.