Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I just got SoP, is this a soulslike? I've never played a souls game and this is whipping my rear end on normal. I can barely get by the second bomb in the first level. Is there any basic advice on getting good at this or should I do a run on easy to learn how to actually play the drat game.

Otherwise this game looks great and I am very excited for all this Chaos and the killing of.

It’s a soulslike and it was really hard for me even though I’ve played almost all the From games (I do suck at them, though). I’d play on easy until you get a handle on things. The bombs are there to teach you to soul shield and can be legit tough if you don’t know how to deal with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

I said come in! posted:

Been playing Crisis Core Reunion all day and I am so happy it fixes pretty much every single issue I had with the PSP version. About the only complaint I have is that the dialog was taken straight from the PSP version and then given voice acting, and the voice actors are 1.) not good, and 2.) the dialog was never good and it has aged terribly in 2022. This is really the only downside to the game in my opinion, in what is otherwise become one of the best modern Final Fantasy titles. Where the PSP version was a deeply flawed game.

I basically agree with this, from my experience so far. I don't really agree with the psp version being deeply flawed though, but also it has been a while since I last played the psp ver.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Gologle posted:

I basically agree with this, from my experience so far. I don't really agree with the psp version being deeply flawed though, but also it has been a while since I last played the psp ver.

It was a good PSP game, but I'm not sure if it's a Birth By Sleep that can survive the transition to a less portable format ok or a Final Fantasy Type-0 which... didn't. I'm thinking it's more the latter, being a very mechanically-simple game that mostly survived it's repetitive mission design by being something you can shove in your pocket and play fifteen minutes at a time, if the remake didn't add and spice anywhere.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
SOP is a Ninja Gaiden like. It's even less Souls than Nioh but I'd even call Nioh Ninja Gaiden crossed with Diablo 2 if pressed. I'm going to get on my soapbox and scream this out with pride until someone comes and collects me like "ok grandpa let's get you back to the nursing home."

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I said come in! posted:

Been playing Crisis Core Reunion all day and I am so happy it fixes pretty much every single issue I had with the PSP version. About the only complaint I have is that the dialog was taken straight from the PSP version and then given voice acting, and the voice actors are 1.) not good, and 2.) the dialog was never good and it has aged terribly in 2022. This is really the only downside to the game in my opinion, in what is otherwise become one of the best modern Final Fantasy titles. Where the PSP version was a deeply flawed game.

Huh. Did they do more changes besides spicing up the graphics and making normal attacks work more like Remake? Haven't seen much of it but I'd lile to know if they did something to the mission structure (which could get a bit repetitive and samey).

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

BisbyWorl posted:

I always found the Buster Sword backstory hilarious.

Like, Angeal's dad went so in debt to make the sword that he ended up working himself into an early grave. For a sword with 18 power and 2 materia slots.

Meanwhile, Kalm has Mythril Sabers that has 23 power and 3 slots for 1000 gil.

Either everyone is extremely poor in Banora, or Angeal's dad got loving scammed.

It used an entire mine's worth of iron.

The smiths told him it would be a bad idea. It would be heavy, blunt, ineffective, and cost a fortune. But he knew what he wanted.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 14, 2022

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It used an entire mine's worth of iron.

The smiths told him it would be a bad idea. It would be heavy, blunt, inexpensive, and cost a fortune. But he knew what he wanted.
Some day, that sword will have an extremely long history and rarely be touched upon in conversation, unless you read the infobox on it.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Mythril Sabers are pieces of junk, it gets flimsy before you hit the Gold Saucer and if you use it to Rocket Town the drat handle will snap off.

Buster Sword never loses its edge

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Electromax posted:

Mythril Sabers are pieces of junk, it gets flimsy before you hit the Gold Saucer and if you use it to Rocket Town the drat handle will snap off.

Buster Sword never loses its edge

A spoon never loses its edge either

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Attack items definitely keep ahead of the curve for a long time and time is your only challenge. It is amusing how you can be poor when monsters drop so much money. Stores are selling explosives on the cheap.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Huh. Did they do more changes besides spicing up the graphics and making normal attacks work more like Remake? Haven't seen much of it but I'd lile to know if they did something to the mission structure (which could get a bit repetitive and samey).

A short list of the more notable changes:

Materia are now set to L1+Face Button, Kingdom Hearts style, leaving the lower right scroll menu exclusively for items and vastly freeing up the amount of mid-battle scrolling you need to do.

The DMW only ever interrupts gameplay to show one of those random little mini cutscenes from Zack's memories, otherwise it doesn't automatically interrupt you no matter what. This includes Limit Breaks, which instead of being executed as soon as you get three reels, are now added to a stock for you to unleash at-will (though your stock is lost at the end of battle, so no reason to be stingy with them)

Boss cutscene attacks, which were previously just "gently caress you, no warning or wind-up, hope you had enough HP when the boss randomly decides to do this," will now have a cast time, and a percentage gauge starting at 100% will appear over the boss as they start charging. You can attack to deplete the gauge, with the cutscene attack doing less damage the more you lower it, and if you get it to 0% the attack is cancelled entirely.

These are just the biggest and most notable ones, there are lots of other little QoL changes there too.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Barudak posted:

FF2 is very fun in Pixel Remaster but watch the hell out for Couerls and anything else that can inflict status effects due to game changes

Yeah I may have uh, done a bit much grinding. Everyone's main weapon is level 12 or 13, there's a Berserk at 8, a Blink at 10... and this was before I even got to Mysidia.

Pretty cool so far though and the short bit of Leviathan blew my high as gently caress mind right out. Really didn't expect people living there.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Did reunion change the fact that you could permanently miss some of the optional missions? I remember that being pretty annoying

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

parasyte posted:

Yeah I may have uh, done a bit much grinding. Everyone's main weapon is level 12 or 13, there's a Berserk at 8, a Blink at 10... and this was before I even got to Mysidia.

Pretty cool so far though and the short bit of Leviathan blew my high as gently caress mind right out. Really didn't expect people living there.

This was my party before I even thought about heading to the dreadnought.

Not pictured: everyone's maxed evade.

Coeurls could still wipe my party out before I got a chance to do anything because of partywide paralysis with 100% hit rate.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

For the FFXV DLCs, does Comrades have anything plot relevant or can I skip it?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'm like 99% sure it doesn't have any plot relevance

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Hm. Those would definitively help the pace of combat. I was wondering more about mission structure, since in the end it had a lot of repetitive missions where you end uo in the same zone with different areas blocked off ala Dragon Age 2, that you'd skip by hugging the wall because sometimes enemies just were massively stronger than you were.

Or at least that was my exoerience in the PSP version.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

DanielCross posted:

A short list of the more notable changes:

Boss cutscene attacks, which were previously just "gently caress you, no warning or wind-up, hope you had enough HP when the boss randomly decides to do this," will now have a cast time, and a percentage gauge starting at 100% will appear over the boss as they start charging. You can attack to deplete the gauge, with the cutscene attack doing less damage the more you lower it, and if you get it to 0% the attack is cancelled entirely.

These are just the biggest and most notable ones, there are lots of other little QoL changes there too.
Only heard about the game.
Did they adjust boss attacks to compensate? I saw a streamer fight Bahamut and he would have absolutely died if he took the full hit. Even 75% is almost a game over if he took a hit.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

SoPFFO: Did FFXland, FFXIIland (Raithwall's Tomb!) FFIXland (...The Evil Forest or whatever it's called) and FFVIIIland (Ifrit's Cave place). The Fiends look so loving cool. I'm getting used to the gameplay and unlocked Breaker so I'm doing pretty good now.

The story is getting wild. The Lufenians have reconstructed places from other FF games and, like... made Crystals to hold memories of... people they've summoned to.... what, harvest the dark mist and create energy and science and poo poo? This is whacky. It also seems to be explaining the FFI timeloop; Lufenian shenanigans. I'm sure this will end well.

Wait, "Garland" ran off ten years ago to fight Chaos

And this is a timeloop

Then Jack is Garland? Jack... becomes Chaos?? :allears: This loving game

Not sure where we're going to next, it looks mechanical. FFVIIland? I'll find out tomorrow.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Sunken Shrine is the Junon Underwater Reactor, yeah

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I think I'm on the mission before that which is ronka ruins so obviously ffv. I am dumb. So I guess 5 and 7 are next. That leaves 6, 11, and 15.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Breaker's incredibly satisfying since you get to just Odin things. Sage is pretty cool too and waaay good.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Honestly the thing I enjoy most about Sage is smacking things upside the head with a club

God drat is that weapon that just feels RIGHT

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

How could I forget, Jack interrupting Lich's monologue with "I don't give a gently caress" is just :discourse:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Tyrant was my personal fav tier 3 job because it's Mystic Knight and Monk smashed together into one super-cool package.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

FrostyPox posted:

How could I forget, Jack interrupting Lich's monologue with "I don't give a gently caress" is just :discourse:
Lich no-sells it like he is a God Hand from Berserk: Fine. Let's get it over with.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Scalding Coffee posted:

Lich no-sells it like he is a God Hand from Berserk God Hand: Fine. Let's get it over with.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
zack’s VA sounds like he has a ping pong ball jammed up each nostril, I hate this

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Oxxidation posted:

zack’s VA sounds like he has a ping pong ball jammed up each nostril, I hate this

It's really bad but I'm loving evening else about the game. Very repetitive but not bothering me yet.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Yeah...I do think the sheer amount of hate for the voice actor is uncalled for, but I have to say compared to the previous voice actor he isn't quite up to par.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

zacks new voice is... shockingly okay? seriously confused why I keep seeing people slam it so hard.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

FrostyPox posted:

For the FFXV DLCs, does Comrades have anything plot relevant or can I skip it?

It takes place when Noctis was still in the crystal doing his time skip.

In the movie, a part of the king's elite guard the Kingsglaive rebelled and you are now playing as the new members of the Kingsglaive waiting for Noctis to return.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Even if you don't actually play past the tutorial, it's worth opening Comrades at least once (Spoilers for FFXV Royal Edition content): One of the sidequests in the City ruins has you party up with a random Glaive, and if you have Comrades save data, it's your created Glaive from that game that you party up with.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

DanielCross posted:

Even if you don't actually play past the tutorial, it's worth opening Comrades at least once (Spoilers for FFXV Royal Edition content): One of the sidequests in the City ruins has you party up with a random Glaive, and if you have Comrades save data, it's your created Glaive from that game that you party up with.

Oh that's cool. I already finished XV's main story though so I'm just going to do the DLCs for story reasons. If I play XV's base game again I'll do it then, but for now I'll just do the Episode: Bros stuff. Especially cuz I uninstalled so I'd have to play the entire game again.

After I finish SoP and Type-0 though.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Vitamean posted:

zacks new voice is... shockingly okay? seriously confused why I keep seeing people slam it so hard.

When he's more subdued and serious it's fine but when he's supposed to be more animated he sounds so nasally I hate it. He is also a much worse actor than Rick Gomez. Some of his delivery is just so flat in the clips I've seen. The dialogue in the game is truly atrocious but Rick made it work much better.

I don't like being a hater, I think people generally should just dip out and not engage with media they don't like, but Crisis Core makes me a hater. Them downgrading so hard on the only good part of the original game, Zack's VA, just kills me. It also fills me with dread for what they're going to do with Zack in the next parts of Remake.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

rick gomez always brings 100% to every role and that's hard to match

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I think Rick Gomez was a MAGA chud/COVID denier/anti-vaxxer so I’m ok with them replacing him tbh

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I thought that was the new guy, actually

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I think Rick Gomez was a MAGA chud/COVID denier/anti-vaxxer so I’m ok with them replacing him tbh

Cloud's old VA is an anti-vaxxer I think.

And Cloud's Japanese voice actor was apparently cheating on his wife for like 10 years with his assistant or something. Just a fun fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i’d also heard that Caleb Pierce (Zack’s new VA) was an evangelical nut, but he’s a non-entity so I’m not able to confirm either way

can’t act to save his life though