Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Starting to look worryingly like an actual house

Double ovens or range? Or aga (lol)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Vim Fuego posted:

:cheers:

Whenever I'm feeling down about the duration, cost or state of any of my projects I can turn to this thread or Jaded Burnout's infinite remodeling zone for a pick me up. It's like a pep talk from the forums. Thanks for posting it all as the horrible journey it really is rather than some twee before & after shots.

:same:
I need to step up and post about my build. As I've been a coward and relied mostly on contractors it will just be four years worth of "am I the baddies?"

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Endjinneer posted:

I need to step up and post about my build. As I've been a coward and relied mostly on contractors it will just be four years worth of "am I the baddies?"

4 years!

YESYEYSYES

Er... sorry. But you absolutely arent the baddies.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Vim Fuego posted:

Whenever I'm feeling down about the duration, cost or state of any of my projects I can turn to this thread or Jaded Burnout's infinite remodeling zone for a pick me up.

I'm hoping to get it done just in time to start over from the beginning.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Endjinneer posted:

:justpost:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I appreciate the full scale mockups of the kitchen. I do 3d modeling of stuff like that for around my house, but being able to physically walk around the space is so much nicer

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm hoping to get it done just in time to start over from the beginning.

Golden Gate Bridge that MF

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

brugroffil posted:

I appreciate the full scale mockups of the kitchen. I do 3d modeling of stuff like that for around my house, but being able to physically walk around the space is so much nicer

Yeah I modelled it and walked round with my vr headset with my phone in it but really you need to feel the tall thing to get a good idea. I drew it on the floor too, but having it be actually there really let's you know how tight it is around the island.

The island will actually get turned round from what's shown in the picture so there's big wide 1.1m space all the way around it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

CancerCakes posted:

Starting to look worryingly like an actual house

Double ovens or range? Or aga (lol)?

double ovens in the tall units. induction hobs on island

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Need to drill some holes in the floor.

This is to be a closed air vent for the woodburner, as in a seperate air draw fromt he ventilated under house area rather than just a leaky hole to the outside. It will also eventually have a cheap chinese electronic activator on it so the fire can be remotely controlled/extinguished.

And this is for the hob, going on the kitchen island as mentioned earlier. Can't really figure out a way to have a not awful above head extractor so going down. To be honest not sure this will actually ever be used but there just in case.

Then carry on with the damp course and insulation laying on the floor. Round the external walls there will be a rigid 25mm wide PIR upstand of insulation to bridge thermal gap, but the internal walls need this squishy foam, not really sure why, expansion? Got loads of it for free from neighbour so no harm. Actually can make about 300quid selling the rest off lol.

And the second layer of nice PIR going down. joints taped means dont need a separate above insulation plastic sheet.

So I found the way to do it is push the PIR into the edges and thenfold down against each other. Thats why this hallway is done from two sheets with a join down the middle.

Into the big room. Had to remove the bifold door protection

I dont think theres much point in taping this lower layer but whatever.

Bloody speeding through this

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
That Mario wall looks well nice now that it's a real wall

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Ah the CIA blacksite look, very nice.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
With natural light and no car batteries?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

yeah I shouldnt have removed the black plastic on the windows. But not my fault all the car batteries were robbed.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
That room is going to look lovely when it’s done

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Its quite annoying when you get to the middle of a big pile of insulation and its all snapped in half. Its too late now really to complain but this didnt happen on my site and not when it was unloaded here so when did it happen and who knew? Like how did all the broke ones get into the middle of the pile? Cos these sheets arent cheap, still use it I guess but cynical.

need some bits of plastic 40mm/32mm waste pipe.

To do some underfloor drain stuff.

Putting waste to where the kitchen island will be for a dishwasher and for I dunno whatever else might want there. Cutting it into the insulation at a nice enough fall and then using a glued and screwed collar to fix into the main waste and cover up.

Then off out into the plant room (which I suspect might be of doom) to lay damp and first layer of insulation. A right ballache in a confined space with so many different things coming up.

And as I'm making such good progress I feel highly motivated to get some of the faffy jobs done. I am such a loving high effectiveness builder.

That bloody C3P0 arm thats leaking, I've properly dug up and cranked free to try and get it loosened and tightened back up. I think, THINK, I've fixed it. I won't buy another C3P0

And get rid of the big tree trunk from the crack willow I felled (dunno if you can say felled when you just drove a digger into it?)

And back inside, the other thing I need to do underfloor is put a waste back to a basin in the little utility WC from the main waste.

So I'm looking at all the water manifold thingies I bought a while ago that I thought I needed but have forgotten about how it works and actually theres quite a lot going on here.

As you can see I have a foolproof plan.

Yeah, and aside from the water stuff, the woodburner has some requirements.

laying these out in copper. I don't really want them on the surface, I'm going to have to pull back up a bit of insulation and set them in lower with a bit of separation away from the screed and underfloor heating.

You can see I've made a little OSB template to match the back of the woodburner pipe placement so what I lay in the floor can be connected up later.

But yeah need to pull up some insulation

And cut channels into the lower level to seat the pipes in. I quite enjoy this bt really, dunno why I rushed ahead earlier. Stupid.

Oh and need to drill these through into the plantroom. Which means cutting out even more insulation just to get the big drill in.

Oooh nice.

Actually though now I look at it. I need to lift quite a lot more insulation and cut in all those water pipes lower down as they need to run from the plant room, to local manifolds and then to their end locations.

Quite alot of hacking poo poo up.

What is very good for the soul is thinking you've done a good job then gradually realising you're going to have to yank it all back up and redo everything. eurgh. Like its not cataclysmic. just piss annoying and dispiriting.

Even need to run a pair of hot and cold pipes to the basin in the little WC lol.

Like its not complicated, I knew all this but ignored it. I guess I don't have to do all this. I just want the pipes nicely tucked away underground.

Lol. By the way also got to run all these power and data lines to the kitchen island from the wall as theres no other way to get there.

ordered a bigger set of SDS bits of amazon to get everything comfortably through the wall into the fabled plantroom.

Getting things back on track

Oh, except none of the that copper pipework was finished, just sitting there. Still needs braising or welding or whatever it is up together which I've never done before

seems alright.

all marked up and set back down in position

and through into the plantroom. NB the data/power line there next to the hot water lines.

My updates are so boring now with no jokes.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

That is very cool

But soon it will be warm

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Just taking a chance that your first time ever welding copper pipe will be good enough for your entire underfloor. Goonspeed.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

NotJustANumber99 posted:

My updates are so boring now with no jokes.

:wrong:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I was clicking through my bookmarks without really looking at the thread titles and as soon as I saw this photo I knew which thread I was in. Love it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Theres no limit to what you can transport in a car with no roof.

Anyway, I'm off into the bathrooms to sort out the plumbing. Going to have wetroom showers set into the floor with linear drains so all that has to be sorted now.

Heres all the water pipes sticking through the floor in the utility room where theres going to be a big pair of manifolds to sort stuff out. I'm not convinced by these hep20 plastic trays they want you to buy to do it in.

What a mess.

Because I don't really know what to do about all that, do something else instead. So I've chopped down all these trees and have lots of loggage now. Probably need something to keep them dry through winter so I can actually burn them. Container seems obvious thing to use to help. And I've got some left over timber

bought some fence post spikes and here we go

Bam

so after putting some tiles on its a bit weak.

so I had to buy a few more bits of fence timber and more spikes but here we are

and tiled

store logs

hmmm need to chop up and split a few more (bought a cheap splitter) its all worth it given the energy crisis I reckon there a few grands worth of logs here.

Also back in the actual house sorting out the copper pipe runs so I can test them because I'm not quite the sort of moron that:

Failed Imagineer posted:

Just taking a chance that your first time ever welding copper pipe will be good enough for your entire underfloor. Goonspeed.

So thats the 5 pipes run through the wall into the plantroom, the two drains connected cos I think thats fine to do (?) and drain points installed on each line.

And then I made this little setup to plug in on one end with a hep20 stopper on the other end of each line

So i can then plug the compressor in and pump up a few bar and wait to see...

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

This is the perfect blend of fancy and trashy

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So i can then plug the compressor in and pump up a few bar and wait to see...

You need to worry about more than it working just right now.

One of the first and most basic things I'd be concerned with is if you wiped the flux off of your joints after soldering/braising them. Then there's all manner of "what the gently caress are they going through and how is that going to impact their long term serviceability?" that is not something I can give any guidance on because of your wacky building customs but I can just tell you I'd be running oxygen barrier pex for that. And I'm a traditionalist who thinks (properly installed) copper is better in almost all situations.

Epitope posted:

This is the perfect blend of fancy and trashy

It's beginning to explain the spite fence.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Motronic posted:

It's beginning to explain the spite fence.

wounded right now, I thought we were bros?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Will there be an update post in a month with grainy cam footage showing someone using your beautiful lean-to to load up your logs in a nice covered area as they thieve away?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Relevant to tile roofing, and doing it "right"

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7173318645983153454

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wouldn't you just use something like 3M 5200 or 4200 to bond the tiles together that can't be mechanically fastened, or whatever the roofing equivalent is

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

MetaJew posted:

Relevant to tile roofing, and doing it "right"

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7173318645983153454

I love these home inspection accounts on insta/TikTok

Every time I get mad at dumb stuff done on my 40 yr old house there is ALWAYS dumber stuff done on brand new houses.

OP excluded

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

BonoMan posted:

I love these home inspection accounts on insta/TikTok

If it's not the ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING lad then I don't click

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Return to the plantroom.

Which I perhaps foolishly removed one of the cavity wall leaves from as I felt it was a little small. So now I'm putting back in a bit of PIR insulation onto which I'll mount some sort of expensive plantroom wall board whatever that is. Which I need to do now as this wall is where the manifold for the underfloor heating is going to be mounted. And you kind of need that in place when you run the underfloor pipes which now I've finished putting down and pulling up the floor insulation I'm ready to do.

Apologies again for the photos, camera full of dust

And I've bought these expensive specially designed big screw things to fix the posh plasterboard and insulation to the worst blocks ever invented.

And theyre total poo poo and dont work at all. As soon as youve installed them they just pull directly straight back out. Waste of money.

So change of plan and I have to pull all that back off the wall and install some battens/studs that i can, albeit slowly, relatively reliably install to the blocks with predrilling, rawlplugs and a bunch of normal big fat screws. Lame

Plasterboard mounted on this. This isnt really what I wanted, or infact ordered. They assured me it was comparable and seeing as I didnt really understand what I'd originally ordered I just gave up and took it. Its really heavy.

But its just to give me something dense and reliable to install all this plant stuff to without the walls crumbling to dust so eh... whatever job done.

So here's the 12 zone manifold mounted ready to receive the underfloor heating loops. And with the grundfos pump temporarily attached to check it all physically fits.

Unrelated buts heres my big tap. Bloody love my big tap.

Now I need my instructions I printed out from the software I almost certainly probably paid for that calculated and plotted my underfloor heating loops. And my big felt tip pen.

Get everything drawn out and then I can happily trail round with the extra pipe fitting it with staples to the planned out lines.

Oh but first need to drill a bunch of holes through from the plantroom to the main house, 2 for each loop. Probably it would have been better had this been properly thought out before and a big hole left to feed them all through. But here we are.

Each drillageway needs a conduit through it, which is a ballache, so the underfloor heating pipe which will be set in the screed either side, will have some kind of I dunno... leeway?

Start laying out the pipes. So each run is like 100ish metres. First need to put the bending spring on the pipe that I will use to safely form all the bends in this quite rigid barrier pex pipe. Then feed the first end through into the plant room enough that I can fit it up to the manifold.

Having of course forgotten to put the spring on, I now need to pull it back through and redo these steps.

Now get the pipe reamed off nicely and fitted into the manifold. Then just work my way on hands and knees along the 100metres or so pipe run shifting the spring along as we go to bend things nicely. And every metre or so pushing in a little plastic staple into the insulation to hold the pipe in place.

Then, providing I've measured right should have enough pipe to, having removed the bend spring, push back through the wall into the plant room and connect to the corresponding connection on the manifold. And thats a loop.

That first loop was a serpentine layout, which is apparently less efficient but you end up having to use them in tight spaces. Now we're in the bigger rooms can use a helical arrangement that gets the hot water spread more evenly more quickly.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

I bet December 22 you is grateful to past you for all this work

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

A youth spent playing snake on a nokia coming in handy

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This thread always reminds me how you occasionally hear people in the UK poke fun at US home construction being wood frame "because we make ours out of stone!" Well, kind of. As of late you make yours out of engineered block that is abut as strong as moldy cheese.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

Motronic posted:

This thread always reminds me how you occasionally hear people in the UK poke fun at US home construction being wood frame "because we make ours out of stone!" Well, kind of. As of late you make yours out of engineered block that is abut as strong as moldy cheese.

that's not fair - we also use highly flammable cladding

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Motronic posted:

I've heard of houses on stilts, but Stilton houses?

Honest, this is probably the best thread on this sub-forum. It really makes me appreciate everything that goes into constructing even a relatively simple structure.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Motronic posted:

I'm absolutely certain the block of cheddar in my fridge would take fixings better than these aerated blocks.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I thought they were meant to compress and bind up, not flake apart.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Meaty Ore posted:

I've heard of houses on stilts, but Stilton houses?

Honest, this is probably the best thread on this sub-forum. It really makes me appreciate everything that goes into constructing even a relatively simple structure.

Same, I never realised how much hospitalisation, theft, property damage and dangerous motorway driving was involved in a new build. Would love to know the final estimates of cost savings divided by hours of labour for the full Grand Designs schadenfreude experience.

That being said, it's impressive.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Motronic posted:

This thread always reminds me how you occasionally hear people in the UK poke fun at US home construction being wood frame "because we make ours out of stone!"
If it's any consolation, new builds seem to be built out of wood frame and plasterboard with occasional brick fascias to trick people into thinking they're actual houses. When I was looking to buy, you'd knock on the adjoining walls between properties and it was like knocking on an internal, hollow wall.

Potemkin rear end housing. I read that a bunch of banks won't even offer mortgages on them now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Potemkin rear end housing. I read that a bunch of banks won't even offer mortgages on them now.

Big if true (doesn't seem true though)