Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Stare-Out posted:

Cool thing coming up

Does this mean I have a chance at the Normandy again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Rakeris posted:

Well, not sure they are ever going to make it back from this one..

lmao

Also that is cool I missed that first expo. I tried to save edit the rewards in but that didn't work actually.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ephori posted:

Does this mean I have a chance at the Normandy again?

Sadly that seems to be the only one not being rerun (probably a contract thing.)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yeah, I'd assume that's a licensing issue.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Goddamn

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1595396315550285826

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Sadly that seems to be the only one not being rerun (probably a contract thing.)

Nah, they're only rerunning expeditions 5-8 here. Last year's EOY rerun was expeditions 1-4. So it's not a full rerun of all expeditions, only the "this year" ones.

To the point of the Normandy, that came from expedition 2, so it was part of last year's rerun but not this year's.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"Right, there's the beginning of this expedition, before I log for the night let's see what else I need to--"

*Escape an abyssal horror*

"NOPE nopenopenopenope"

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

This is dope.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Okay, this cake thing is by far the worst thing I've ever had to do in this game. Finding the eggs was painful enough, but once I got them and made the loving cake I had to run back and forth between my freighter, a planet and the anomaly to get rid of literally everything edible aside from the cake because the cake didn't appear as one of the three options you can present to the shitheel at the anomaly. Holy poo poo it's tedious and after all the work I didn't even get the milestone done because the fuckwit didn't like it or something even though I followed the instructions. I think I'm done with this expedition.

Toilet Terror
Aug 5, 2006
Swirlie
I just had to give him two chocolate cakes, he liked the second well enough.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I had four cakes and he praised them all and I didn't get the milestone.

I made two more with what I had left, duped them so I had 50 cakes and I got it on the first one.

COOL GAME SEAN

Thank christ that's over.

Keebler
Aug 21, 2000

Stare-Out posted:

Okay, this cake thing is by far the worst thing I've ever had to do in this game. Finding the eggs was painful enough, but once I got them and made the loving cake I had to run back and forth between my freighter, a planet and the anomaly to get rid of literally everything edible aside from the cake because the cake didn't appear as one of the three options you can present to the shitheel at the anomaly. Holy poo poo it's tedious and after all the work I didn't even get the milestone done because the fuckwit didn't like it or something even though I followed the instructions. I think I'm done with this expedition.

Rather than running back and forth purging your edibles, you can just cancel out of the conversation with him, move the cake to be before the first item you had an option to offer him in your inventory, and talk to him again. I had to give him 5 cakes before I got the milestone though.

If anyone wants a good walkthrough, this was pretty spot on for the exobiology redux:
https://youtu.be/jUWQBP7xyiE

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy crap the switch port owns so hard. And Waypoint finally fixed so many little things. And there's volcanoes now???? Jesus they've done a lot, again

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Yeah been enjoying this game on the Switch for the past month or so. Space exploration is tight and the procedural generation is gonna keep me engaged for awhile.

Exobiology expedition is running for a couple more days. How hard do the later phases get? I think I'm halfway through 2 of 5...is there a big time commitment to completing all phases?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So more of a general question here, but:

what's the endgame like for this?

Like, I have a freighter, half a billion in Units, 3 S-Class ships. Have done all of the Artemis questline.

Game reminds me a LOT of Minecraft, except my favorite thing to do in Minecraft is build things, and finding interesting/creative ways to use the various blocks. Snapping together pre-fabs into bases just isn't as compelling to me.

I pondered tricking out an S-Class Fighter armed/shielded to the teeth and just going full Pirate, but the space combat isn't all that interesting either.

Just curious as to what folks typically do when they've reached the point when wealth/resources isn't really a problem anymore?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Yeah been enjoying this game on the Switch for the past month or so. Space exploration is tight and the procedural generation is gonna keep me engaged for awhile.

Exobiology expedition is running for a couple more days. How hard do the later phases get? I think I'm halfway through 2 of 5...is there a big time commitment to completing all phases?

I'm on stage 3, looking at the goals I think you could power them out in a couple hours?

I love these expeditions, especially how they give you the Atlas passes and a good spaceship from the jump so you can just enjoy the exploration

Oh, and you can have pets now!!!! I have a big chonky birdman who appears to be wearing armor? He's no pet, he's my Chewie.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

HaB posted:

Like, I have a freighter, half a billion in Units, 3 S-Class ships. Have done all of the Artemis questline.

Game reminds me a LOT of Minecraft, except my favorite thing to do in Minecraft is build things, and finding interesting/creative ways to use the various blocks. Snapping together pre-fabs into bases just isn't as compelling to me.

I pondered tricking out an S-Class Fighter armed/shielded to the teeth and just going full Pirate, but the space combat isn't all that interesting either.

Just curious as to what folks typically do when they've reached the point when wealth/resources isn't really a problem anymore?

you either just have to set yourself new goals or put the game down for a year until they add a bunch of new stuff to check out

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

HaB posted:

Can't speak for everyone, but my current end-game goals are:

-Travelling up to galaxy 27
-Building a couple more insane bases I scribbled blueprints off into my notebook
-Maybe collect some more nice-looking ships
-Maybe finally install some upgrades into my freighter

Since I don't have infinity time and more interests besides NMS, that'll keep me busy for probably 2-3 more years. After that, I'll probably try to one-up myself by keep going into further and further galaxies until either the servers die or I'm reaching the last one. At which point I'll finally stop and put the game down for good.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

HaB posted:

I just wait for expeditions now, gotta get those new clothes for my virtual space barbie.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

HaB posted:

For me it's tinkering with my base, looking for even weirder critters to make my pets, and just wandering around and gawking at planets. On top of that I do the settlement stuff and send out my freighters on their little missions, although I don't really know why aside from habit.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

HaB posted:

+1 on "waiting for expeditions/patches that have new content"

Sometimes after finishing an expedition I'll still have the bug and spend some time filling out more of the word catalogue or looking for The Perfect World with no storms and whatever resource, but once the momentum dies out I just let it lie until I'm interested again

this really isn't a game you play forever, you just keep coming back to when you get the itch

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

this really isn't a game you play forever, you just keep coming back to when you get the itch

Yeah this is pretty much it. You get back to it when you feel like it or when there's a big update.

It's a good game for playing for a while every day doing missions or getting quicksilver or whatever while catching up on podcasts. It's interesting in the way it's largely a mile wide and an inch deep but there's always a chance you'll stumble upon something super unique and weird every time you land on a planet.

I have more money and resources than I can spend, a tricked out S-class solar ship and a multitool that match my character's look so I'm mostly just doing stuff for quicksilver, expeditions when they show up and trying to find that perfect S-class freighter to build my base on, mostly preparing for PSVR2 to come along.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Stare-Out posted:

there's always a chance you'll stumble upon something super unique and weird every time you land on a planet.

is there really? i've been playing this game since launch, and while they have made an impressive amount of improvements, i've still never felt like i ever encountered anything "unique" in the universe.

like even the weirdest planets i've found still very obviously to belong to a type that i've seen replicated over and over again in various systems, just not quite as frequently as the more common types. but it's not that big of a difference, like the unusual planets aren't really that much less common than the common ones, and none of them are really all that weird. most of those kind of planets just have a slightly abnormal visual gimmick or color palette, which you can see in about two seconds, and then there's not really much else to do with them

imo adding multiple biomes to a planet, which could overlap and combine in unexpected ways, might alleviate some of that because part of the issue is once you've seen any given part of a planet, you've seen it all. none of them have different zones based on climate or geography or anything like that, they don't even have poles, so you are pretty much going to be in the same landscape no matter how far you drive in your vehicle (or if you take off and fly to the other side of the planet). but if they could work multi-biomes into their procgen i feel like the chance of actually unique planets with more exploration potential would improve.

also it would be really cool if they would add some urban planet types. i dont think massive futurist procgen cities were really that viable when the game launched, but they are now.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 5, 2022

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, though I guess there might be a slight amount of subjectivity to it in terms of what you find interesting but I've been playing since 2017 and while it's increasingly rare, I've still often found something that's particularly striking that I've never seen in the game bafore. Not flora or fauna necessarily since those are all assembled from prefab assets and all but the game is still full of moments created by the proc gen that offer really bizarre and unique things whether it's a behavior or even a view or something.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
At least now the procgen makes distinct continents and oceans, and has gotten better at forests. Buildings aren't as samey either

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Wheeeeee

https://i.imgur.com/PXoDc7K.mp4

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I jumped to a new galaxy without reading about what happens. Love 2 fix broken s rank ship and multitool.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I jumped to a new galaxy without reading about what happens. Love 2 fix broken s rank ship and multitool.

remember to use repair kits for those hard to find components. once i spend hours looking for whatever and then remembered i had a stack of repair kits and could have been up and running immediately post galaxy jump

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

also you get free repair kits for showing up at space derelicts and looting the box at the door.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i got mega lucky and found a crashed exotic on a planet. not even by finding a distress beacon either, i just happened on it while looking for a cave to find a creature in. and that exotic had far better stats than the other two exotics i had, really the only way i coulda been luckier is if it were a squid exotic.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

really the only way i coulda been luckier is if it were a squid exotic.

A squid exotic matching my preferred colour scheme once just flew straight into my freighter, and I've never scrambled to hand over credits faster.

I mean I never fly it, but it looks cool.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

A squid exotic matching my preferred colour scheme once just flew straight into my freighter, and I've never scrambled to hand over credits faster.

I mean I never fly it, but it looks cool.

Ooooh, that's pretty.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How is the temperature on the switch port these days? Has it improved in the little bit since launch?

I got some Nintendo Funbux for Christmas and the call of the galaxy is strong

Keebler
Aug 21, 2000
I just finished the Leviathan expedition today on Switch and it's much better than it was on launch. Still have a few complaints though: There is still the occasionally crash, though this is far less frequent than it used to be... I think I crashed once throughout the entire expedition. The biggest issue for me is the pop-in, especially when flying over a planet. You can actually get a little ahead of the loading and miss features you might be looking for. This is the worst for the exocraft. To the point where they are kind of useless since they destroy landscape they drive over. I always seem to end up ruining what I'm looking for. As bad as that sounds though I absolutely love it. The fact that I can take this game on the road is fantastic and far out weighs the short comings of the platform. I have an entire universe in my hand to take with me wherever I go.

If you're coming from a different console or the PC I could see the limitations being a little jarring though, to the point where it might not be worth it.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I picked this up on sale and it's a ton of fun, but I am confused with how to set up the freighter exocraft thing.

Can someone explain it for babby with short bullet points?
Where do I build the exocraft station? Will the exocraft get summoned with all the upgrades? Can you have more than one station for each exocraft type or is it locked to one exocraft of each type?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Quick bullet points as far as I understand it:

- You can buy blueprints from the Space Anomaly to build Exocraft docks, one for each of the six types

- The first time you build an exocraft dock, the associated exocraft will automatically materialize on it

- You can only have one Exocraft of each kind, all subsequent docks will not materialize new exocraft

- You can summon Exocraft at any time through the quick command menu, provided:

A: You've built an Exocraft Summoning Station on any planet in the system

B: You've built the Orbital Exocraft Materializer room in your freighter, and summoned your freighter to that system

- Exocraft will be summoned with all their upgrades and such intact

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Hello friends, I just decided to finally try this game - is the quick start guide in the OP still a good start? Does anyone have a good link I should read before diving in too deep?

I did the tutorial up to where it warped me to some dead world fetch quest, and I also talked to everyone on the space station to learn the language. Not sure if I should start free exploring or keep questing or what. Game seems fun but it's quite open ended! (A good thing, but confusing!).

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

JosefStalinator posted:

Hello friends, I just decided to finally try this game - is the quick start guide in the OP still a good start? Does anyone have a good link I should read before diving in too deep?

I did the tutorial up to where it warped me to some dead world fetch quest, and I also talked to everyone on the space station to learn the language. Not sure if I should start free exploring or keep questing or what. Game seems fun but it's quite open ended! (A good thing, but confusing!).

I would follow the Awakenings quest and all its sub quests to start with as it not only introduces you to the lore it's also a tutorial in disguise. It also teaches you how a lot of stuff works in the game and as a bonus it will give you free blueprints for useful and needed stuff that you would otherwise need to buy from the anomaly.
You'll need to explore and gather resources for these quests anyway, so do it all together to begin with.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is it possible to upgrade exocraft from the freighter?

e: related how do I get the minotaur to automine

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Is it possible to upgrade exocraft from the freighter?

Effectively, realisitcally, no-- you have to be somewhere with the exocraft nearby to gently caress with the inventory/internals of it. There are/were ways to get the exocraft stations onto your carrier but they're convoluted and involve finagling with mods.