Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Motronic posted:

E: minimum 6 months, most often a year or more from beginning to end

This is ill informed nonsense. Theres no good reason for a simple self build to take longer than 6 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I needed to look real carefully to be sure that I had not been in this house.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Contractors will give plenty of bad reasons to delay your build tho

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

NotJustANumber99 posted:

This is ill informed nonsense. Theres no good reason for a simple self build to take longer than 6 months.

lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I know some folks who would have been happy with sixteen months at this point.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

lol are you stalking me outside of your own thread?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Motronic posted:

lol are you stalking me outside of your own thread?

lol no i was just bored the other day and in here cos the thread title caught my attention

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

How simple exactly?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
What am I missing? It looks like an old-school classic ranch, super similar to the one in the original Parent Trap

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

canyoneer posted:

Even the greats didn't always care about actual function. Frank Lloyd Wright's famous Fallingwater house is a beautiful art installation and also a mold hell

I read somewhere that the owners called it Rising Damp

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Anne Whateley posted:

What am I missing? It looks like an old-school classic ranch, super similar to the one in the original Parent Trap

It's the "bush pilot" stairs. Short flights, frequent landings

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
and no destination it seems

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Oh my God I'm so dumb, I was like "is he complaining that it's open-plan?? That the tile floor will make it too echoey???" and totally missed that there wasn't even a door at the top of the stairs. Unreal

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Anne Whateley posted:

Oh my God I'm so dumb, I was like "is he complaining that it's open-plan?? That the tile floor will make it too echoey???" and totally missed that there wasn't even a door at the top of the stairs. Unreal

But there's not a window at the bottom of the stairs either. Or at any of the landings.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Luneshot posted:

How would you even go about finding an architect for a custom home nowadays that isn't a McMonstrosity or a slightly-modified version of one of the three floor plans allowed by the subdivision builders? Do you just hand them some inspiration pictures and ask "hey can you draw me some sketches of home designs in [insert style here] and we'll narrow it down from those options"?

An even more fundamental question- are bespoke homes even in reach for anyone who doesn't have gently caress-off money? What's the minimum home price (market-dependent obv.) where it'd be feasible to work with an architect? Let's just assume something like a 3-bedroom, 2-bath home, but sufficiently different from the copy-paste houses in a suburban housing development that it would be a clean-sheet design.

I have a friend who found an architect to build a semi-bespoke home (as far as I know) after tearing down his 1950s bungalow. No idea how custom it actually is. It took like 3+ years. Not sure how much COVID affected the build vs slow builders/contractors.

He tried to get a quote from Matt Risinger, since we live in Austin: [video type="youtube"]@buildshow[/video]

Risinger's company told him, back in 2019-ish, that they don't take on builds and remodels for less than $400 per square foot.

He wound up going with this architecture firm, but I don't know if the house is truly custom or a modified design of something they've already built: https://www.moontoweraustin.com/portfolio

I will say that the are of town he's in has a lot of clay soil and thus foundation issues. He told me that the foundation was over-engineered to try to avoid future settling which was an ongoing problem for his original house. I think he told me that the cost of the foundation was almost 25% of the total build price.

That friend has also had a lot of custom cabinetry made and I keep trying to hire his cabinet maker to build me some furniture, and all I get from him is that he is booked non-stop with no openings.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Nobody better be taffin' around in here

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Maybe the stairs to nowhere have been replaced with exterior stairs to create a secondary rentable living space.

This isn’t a good idea, mind, but we’ve seen worse.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

MetaJew posted:

Risinger's company told him, back in 2019-ish, that they don't take on builds and remodels for less than $400 per square foot.

That seems outrageous for a house in Texas but maybe I'm just too poor to understand.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

SpartanIvy posted:

That seems outrageous for a house in Texas but maybe I'm just too poor to understand.

Good/services usually cost exactly what people are willing to pay for them.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

SpartanIvy posted:

Teardown properties are selling for insane prices in "desirable" parts of town, and then people that seem to have infinite money come in and do new luxury builds on them.

My coworker lives in what he refers to as a "tear down" near this place. He tells me his new hobby is looking at the monthly payments for the new builds around him. With property taxes, the house below is approximately $25,000 per month if you were some weirdo poor person that got a 30 year loan at 5-something percent.
https://twitter.com/dennishegstad/status/1602320699837890562

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I designed and built my garage.

I submitted drawings in February of 2004. Required a zoning variance to set-back the build closer to the property line, so I didn't get approved to start until May.

By December it was framed and the exterior & roof were sheathed and covered in tar paper.

It took until August 2005 to finish roofing & siding.

The interior mechanical & electric were completed by the spring of 2006.

I contracted out the concrete foundation & slab work, and for a roofer to install the roof. The rest of it was done my me & a rotating 10-15 family & friends who helped when they were willing & able. I budgeted for a 20% overrun but since Bush decided to invade Iraq, lumber prices skyrocketed I wound up at about 30% over budget.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Had a plumber come in to quote some minor repairs and replacements along with a new hot water heater. Find out that the pressure regulator on the water main is totally dead and needs replaced, but that explains why all these faucets behave the way they do with twice their rated pressure going through them. The loving Boomer who owned this house previously did precisely gently caress all to upkeep anything in this place.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Oh my loving God :distonk:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Stairs with nothing at the top are probably a lot safer than the house I grew up in with two doors lacking stairs, one being a half floor up, one being a whole floor up. As I understand it, the house overran the budget, so the mudroom and deck were deferred indefinitely.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
you 'could' probably build a house in like, six months, but that would rely on all of your trades actually working around each other, which they're only going to do for you if you like retain their services for the entire duration of the build at a rate where they don't immediately abandon your project once there's a stall to go to their next project while they wait.

i used to re-frame old houses and if you don't directly employ all of the tradespeople who are working on a new build or a remodel then like somewhere in the ballpark of 50-70 percent of the project time is just going to be a house sitting empty because it's waiting for plumbers or electricians or roofers (not usually this one).

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

you 'could' probably build a house in like, six months, but that would rely on all of your trades actually working around each other, which they're only going to do for you if you like retain their services for the entire duration of the build at a rate where they don't immediately abandon your project once there's a stall to go to their next project while they wait.

i used to re-frame old houses and if you don't directly employ all of the tradespeople who are working on a new build or a remodel then like somewhere in the ballpark of 50-70 percent of the project time is just going to be a house sitting empty because it's waiting for plumbers or electricians or roofers (not usually this one).

That is absolutely correct and I would like to add intangible items to this. It requires two additional items: A superintendent who's on site to coordinate and plan everyone and settle disputes fairly, and strong relationships with those trades going back many years that they know they can be productive on that Superintendent's project. Without that trust they won't make or honor commitments to be on site with the number of workers it takes to get their trade done. When a tradesperson knows he can show up on the day he's scheduled and the job will be ready for him they will follow you anywhere and ignore any little issues.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It's pretty impressive that such a transparent attempt at trolling, like this, has managed to capture the thread, so thoroughly.

Fake edit: lol ok

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i mean i don't think that guy was being sincere obviously, i'm just explaining the reason why the thing he said is ridiculous

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i mean i don't think that guy was being sincere obviously,...

Probably not, but why give him the benefit of the doubt? :shrug:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

MetaJew posted:

Teardown properties are selling for insane prices in "desirable" parts of town, and then people that seem to have infinite money come in and do new luxury builds on them.

My coworker lives in what he refers to as a "tear down" near this place. He tells me his new hobby is looking at the monthly payments for the new builds around him. With property taxes, the house below is approximately $25,000 per month if you were some weirdo poor person that got a 30 year loan at 5-something percent.
https://twitter.com/dennishegstad/status/1602320699837890562
Why, yes, I have always dreamed of a bathtub against an uncurtained window facing out into a residential neighborhood.

e: Y'all are missing the joke. Here's Notjustanumber99's thread.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 16, 2022

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I didn't know Tim Burton is Texan.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Why, yes, I have always dreamed of a bathtub against an uncurtained window facing out into a residential neighborhood.

e: Y'all are missing the joke. Here's Notjustanumber99's thread.

L-Shaped house thread is so good-- I always forget to look at usernames, tho.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Crappy construction as artistic commentary on house flipping

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Vim Fuego posted:

Crappy construction as artistic commentary on house flipping

This sucks so bad. This image is causing me physical discomfort and also makes me irrationally angry. The person who did this or ordered it done should be jailed.

Right thread.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
On the bright side, it's very serviceable!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

StormDrain posted:

That is absolutely correct and I would like to add intangible items to this. It requires two additional items: A superintendent who's on site to coordinate and plan everyone and settle disputes fairly, and strong relationships with those trades going back many years that they know they can be productive on that Superintendent's project. Without that trust they won't make or honor commitments to be on site with the number of workers it takes to get their trade done. When a tradesperson knows he can show up on the day he's scheduled and the job will be ready for him they will follow you anywhere and ignore any little issues.

All of this. Having the right super, who has the right relationships and is present in the job site, is everything. He can get the crews there, he can make the trades with around each other, and he can make field decisions that don’t slow the project down.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
that person could, maybe theoretically, be the homeowner, as long as they aren't incredibly annoying, but also most homeowners don't know what they don't know. but you're right that like probably 75 percent of the job is just time and people management

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

MetaJew posted:

L-Shaped house thread is so good-- I always forget to look at usernames, tho.

Sorry to everyone wasn't meant to be a troll. Just a lol at myself

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Update: apparently the plumbing in this house used the cheapest dog poo poo PVC available in the early 80s, which is now becoming brittle. Too brittle, in fact, to work on, as turning anything will fracture the solvent joints.

I have to get my whole house repiped. Cost:$18k

gently caress me and gently caress this stupid world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
are you sure it's...PVC? the biggest impact on PVC longevity is sun exposure ime, which...I don't think your plumbing should be getting much of

also I would shop that number unless you live in a very large or very complicated house

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 17, 2022