Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Huh. That's such a weird thing to add, but at least it's avoidable in the vanilla game. Thanks for the info!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

yea it seems like, if u wanna do chaos mode then u just do the mode and completely ignore the gross new optional personality trait :stonk: that only makes all the chars hate you because afaik its just selectable during that modes character creation and nowhere else

7SUs a real cool game tho, i also played before the new chaos mode stuff (which seems like a remix??) and hoo boy those superbosses were rough

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Booky posted:

yea it seems like, if u wanna do chaos mode then u just do the mode and completely ignore the gross new optional personality trait :stonk: that only makes all the chars hate you because afaik its just selectable during that modes character creation and nowhere else

7SUs a real cool game tho, i also played before the new chaos mode stuff (which seems like a remix??) and hoo boy those superbosses were rough

Reading the wiki how it works is that you get a random number when starting the game and events can go differently depending on that number. The Devo fight for example has "The player is the one to notice the stuff taken out of the refridgerator", "Polnareff and the player walk into the room as Devo is about to climb into the refridgerator" and "Nobody actually notices the refridgerator situation at all, leading Devo to freeze to death and skipping the fight entirely" as variations.. There's also stuff you can just opt into like Jotaro actually trying to kill Steely Dan in one hit.

It's an entirely optional thing that requires max money and being on NG+ 5 or higher anyway

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Yinlock posted:

Reading the wiki how it works is that you get a random number when starting the game and events can go differently depending on that number. The Devo fight for example has "The player is the one to notice the stuff taken out of the refridgerator", "Polnareff and the player walk into the room as Devo is about to climb into the refridgerator" and "Nobody actually notices the refridgerator situation at all, leading Devo to freeze to death and skipping the fight entirely" as variations.. There's also stuff you can just opt into like trying to kill Steely Dan in one hit.

lmao, owned

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So he crawled into the fridge for a sneak attack and then immediately died before he could do it. Amazing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"Ha ha I'll pop out at them when they open the fridge"

"Don't open the minibar, Polnareff, those drinks are too expensive"

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Eventually, Devo stopped thinking.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Now I'm wondering did Mariah have any other means to apply her stand or is it all dependent on the other party to touch the outlet?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Yinlock posted:

Reading the wiki how it works is that you get a random number when starting the game and events can go differently depending on that number. The Devo fight for example has "The player is the one to notice the stuff taken out of the refridgerator", "Polnareff and the player walk into the room as Devo is about to climb into the refridgerator" and "Nobody actually notices the refridgerator situation at all, leading Devo to freeze to death and skipping the fight entirely" as variations.. There's also stuff you can just opt into like Jotaro actually trying to kill Steely Dan in one hit.

It's an entirely optional thing that requires max money and being on NG+ 5 or higher anyway

My favorite one is the ending where your stand fixes the plane before it can crash only for it to be shot down by Pet Shop when you get to Egypt

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

zetamind2000 posted:

My favorite one is the ending where your stand fixes the plane before it can crash only for it to be shot down by Pet Shop when you get to Egypt

That's a good one. I also like the one where you get Jotaro's cigarette as an exclusive infinite-use healing item for him, but if you use it 1000 times he keels over and dies

also rarely he'll do his stupid cigarette trick for +5 uses

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Electric Phantasm posted:

Now I'm wondering did Mariah have any other means to apply her stand or is it all dependent on the other party to touch the outlet?

99.9% sure it's all dependent on people being like "that's a weird place for an electrical outlet" and touching it :science:

So Mariah basically has to hope her targets are curious enough or really need to plug something in for some reason.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Angry_Ed posted:

99.9% sure it's all dependent on people being like "that's a weird place for an electrical outlet" and touching it :science:

So Mariah basically has to hope her targets are curious enough or really need to plug something in for some reason.

She'd be unstoppable if she put it on a frisbee and threw it at her targets

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

Hence why it was a genius move on her part in that Hol Horse spinoff manga for her to team up with that guy who made all the illusions in Dio's mansion. Now ANYTHING can be a magic outlet and you'd never know you touched it!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Angry_Ed posted:

Really, it seems Mariah's biggest weakness was being in 1988. Put her in a more modern time period and Bastet gets a massive power boost by default when everyone falls for it, no tricks required.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Angry_Ed posted:

I think it's the first example of a good ol "only effective if your enemies are dumb as hell" Stand

e: maybe Yellow Temperance also counts on that but that Stand is mostly limited by it's user being the worst actor in history rather than the power itself

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 17, 2022

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Angry_Ed posted:

so it’s a stand that’s super effective against Rohan, then

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Just finished SBR. That's some really good JoJo.

I don't know what the gently caress that part of tubular bells was though :yikes:.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Don't worry about it. Just become docile, like a winter catfish.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Like a winter catfish.

Like a winter catfish.

Like a winter catfish.

Like a winter catfish.

Like a winter catfish.

Gyro owns, he's as good as Bruno even if Bruno is more of a replacement Jojo than a Jobro.

Valentine is pretty good and his stand is interesting. I still prefer the charisma of Dio but I appreciate his weird napkin rant. Sweet scars.

Magenta turning into stupid Kars is also funny. "Dio will save me!" Suure buddy :lmao:

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 18, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Can't wait for Part 9's "winter catfish" and "89 years old"

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The former miss cherry has been left in the past

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The best thing about the whole "winter catfish" part is how the other guy starts getting increasingly more confused about what his friend is talking about. :allears:

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I don't appreciate most characters turning into sexcriminals at the sight of a 14 year old :sigh:

Mountain Tim is a good character with a good, simple stand but ugh. At least it's more of a weird white knight thing instead of what comes later. Turns out both the president and his wife are hosed in the head. What a surprise!

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 18, 2022

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, that's definitely the most uncomfortable part in SBR, especially when Valentine is involved.

At least he kinda backs off when Lucy gives him a good shank in the neck, but he's still creepy towards her afterwards.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

funny valentine is a bad man

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Brandfarlig posted:

Just finished SBR. That's some really good JoJo.

I don't know what the gently caress that part of tubular bells was though :yikes:.

Been rereading SBR myself, and yeah, uh, that part was even worse than I remembered (the lead up with the First Lady was also a big yikes that the Valentine stuff had overshadowed in my mind).

The Sandman fight beforehand has some of the best drawn panels in all of JoJo imo.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Yeah SBR's big glaring flaw is multiple character's inexplicable and intense lust for a 14 year old out of nowhere.

The only reason it's not a complete deal breaker is that anyone who does jump on the creep train tends to die horribly eventually

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Does anyone who creeps on Lucy not die?

- Mountain Tim
- Scarlet
- Funny Valentine
- Alternate Diego

Am I missing anyone?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Yinlock posted:

Yeah SBR's big glaring flaw is multiple character's inexplicable and intense lust for a 14 year old out of nowhere.

It's not inexplicable. She's the virgin Mary, and SBR is straightforwardly about the US government trying to imprison and control the body of Jesus.

It does suck to read and I don't blame any who has a problem with it. But that is very much the point.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ironic that the person who is the least creepy to Lucy is the guy who married her

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

chrome line posted:

Does anyone who creeps on Lucy not die?

- Mountain Tim
- Scarlet
- Funny Valentine
- Alternate Diego

Am I missing anyone?

Pretty much everyone in SBR dies.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Valentine being a creep is uncomfortable to read but it’s definitely working as intended in establishing him as a piece of poo poo

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

still hard to believe that part 9 is starting in mid-february

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I can't wait for it to start with the assassination of a prime minister, keeping the ripped from the headlines aspect of Jojolion's opening

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
It's extra weird because honestly, Lucy is mostly drawn like an adult and acts like an adult. It's wild that she's canonically 14 and not like, 18 or 19, which would fit better with her portrayal overall and would be less creepy. Like, Yasuho is 19, and doesn't look significantly older than Lucy does.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

CodfishCartographer posted:

It's extra weird because honestly, Lucy is mostly drawn like an adult and acts like an adult. It's wild that she's canonically 14 and not like, 18 or 19, which would fit better with her portrayal overall and would be less creepy. Like, Yasuho is 19, and doesn't look significantly older than Lucy does.

tbf it's creepy when it happens to Yasuho too, so not sure that would help

it's jojo man you can come up with literally any peril you want, have their arms turn into live bears or whatever instead

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

CodfishCartographer posted:

Sometimes I wonder if manga (and many mediums) would be improved if the authors weren't allowed to write their principle cast as being below 18. Like, look at My Hero. It's superhero school, you can handwave that into being any age range we want. And the author clearly enjoys drawing curvy girls and giving them lots of fanservice. Would it really be the end of the world if the author just said they were early 20s or some poo poo?

The Bee fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 19, 2022

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

not that i think it makes it inherently less weird, but iirc the virgin mary is supposedly fairly young in biblical events and i guess maybe that influenced it a little since yeah lucy is pretty blatantly meant to be some sort of analogue for the virgin mary

overall i don't think that angle really lands for araki, and i kinda wish he'd just gone with a whole host of other possible horror scenarios instead of doing the weird scattershot sometimes that ends up mostly just being more or less uncomfortable in a not very good or fun way

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

not that i think it makes it inherently less weird, but iirc the virgin mary is supposedly fairly young in biblical events and i guess maybe that influenced it a little since yeah lucy is pretty blatantly meant to be some sort of analogue for the virgin mary

overall i don't think that angle really lands for araki, and i kinda wish he'd just gone with a whole host of other possible horror scenarios instead of doing the weird scattershot sometimes that ends up mostly just being more or less uncomfortable in a not very good or fun way

Yeah, continuing my reread to the pregnancy reveal I had the sudden realization "oh yeah, the Virgin Mary was supposed to be like 14/15."

Still creepy all around, but at least thematically so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
That's kind of the thing, ain't it? There's like a dozen things Araki could have done to make Lucy's assaults "less creepy," but once you've committed yourself to telling that story then it's probably a very good thing that it is that creepy.