Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Crisis Core Reunion sounds like fun. As much as the PSP original had its annoyances I still liked it. The question is if to get it on PC or Switch, nice looking or portability....

By the way, did they nerf Costly Punch? I remember it being the best way to deal with the difficulty spike on some endgame missions.

They did not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

SettingSun posted:

Biggs and Wedge are in SoP, by the way. They're the names of a pair of the Cornelian guards you can talk to between missions.

Oh, I didn't go back to Cornelia between missions at all, lol. I'll do that next time. Post edited accordingly.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NieR Occomata posted:

The One Thousand Years of Dreams segments are super contextually similar to the weapon stories/text adventure segments of Nier/Automata, yes. And the main story is nothing to write home about at all, I barely loving remember it outside of it being vaguely similar to FF4’s. Like if Lost Odyssey didn’t have the thousand years of dreams we’d be all like “remember lost odyssey, that not very interesting ff4 clone starring immortals? Weird, right?”

On the other hand it’s been literally a decade and a half since I last played LO so I’m willing to admit that I might be totally wrong, but the only thing I really remember are the thousand years of dreams portions which, again, Replicant did way way better a couple of years later. Hence the comparison

I would disagree because I can't recall a single weapon story from Nier whereas there are good rear end stories in Lost Odyssey and the presentation effects are really good.

The actual primary story of Lost Odyssey is fairly uninteresting, the villain at the start is the villain at the end and theres no real flavor on it. Sure the stakes rise but he wants the thing he said he wanted at the start, and you have to stop him and its very rote without a lot of narrative charm since the villain really doesn't get enough screen time.

Edit: He does assassinate a man with a 50 foot snake which might be the most hilariously unsubtle methods ever devised.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't think Gongora would be improved by more screen time, I think he'd come off as a bit broad in a Dragon Quest game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

No Dignity posted:

I don't think Gongora would be improved by more screen time, I think he'd come off as a bit broad in a Dragon Quest game

I think its true, in my head more screen time would require something for him to do with it I guess. Hes very plain, not much pizzaz and his "intrigue" is done in the first like, two hours of the game so he doesn't escalate or reveal more layers. Hes a serviceable villain, but not inspiring in any way.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Literally like 30 min into Type-0:

It's Cid (Aulstyne), he's evil, he's the leader of the Empire.
L'Cie mentioned already. I know this is FNC but it's definitely a completely different world than Cocoon and Pulse.
We got our metallic Eidolons, Bahamut and Odin appear in the cutscenes and while we don't start with any, there's an section for Ediolons in the menus.
So we already got Cid, and Chocobos and oh my loving God this game is metal as gently caress Jesus loving Christ, yes it is M rated
Cutscenes and in-game graphics are surprisingly good
Definitely feels like a portable game the way it's cut into these distinct, linear sections, but that's totally fine.
Looks like Nine is our Mandatory Dragoon
Haven't seen one yet but there's Moogles, one is giving me tips and mission objectives, Kupo!
The controls and combat are a bit wonky but not unmanageable so far.

If nothing else I loving love the setting, it is 10000% percent My Bag

EDIT: I also like the stylish intro credits but it was actually a bit annoying to read them while trying to see what was occurring in the cinematic.

Wonder how Our Bros are using magic when the Crystal is all jacked up which expressly jacks up one's ability to use magic. They're all fuckin' l'Cie, aren't they.

Like XIII it kinda drops "l'Cie" on you without expressly saying what it is but it is made clear that it's some kind of weapon and very strictly controlled.

EDIT EDIT: The voice acting is also... a bit rough.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 18, 2022

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Barudak posted:

I would disagree because I can't recall a single weapon story from Nier whereas there are good rear end stories in Lost Odyssey and the presentation effects are really good.

The actual primary story of Lost Odyssey is fairly uninteresting, the villain at the start is the villain at the end and theres no real flavor on it. Sure the stakes rise but he wants the thing he said he wanted at the start, and you have to stop him and its very rote without a lot of narrative charm since the villain really doesn't get enough screen time.

Edit: He does assassinate a man with a 50 foot snake which might be the most hilariously unsubtle methods ever devised.

The Forest of Myth sequences in Replicant blow literally everything in Lost Odyssey out of the water. Otherwise yeah I don’t disagree, the presentation in one thousand years of dreams is really top notch. Again, it’s imo the only thing the game really has going for it. It was a game that coasted on its novelty and the fact that if you owned a 360 in 2008 and were a JRPG fan, aka me, your options were severely limited. It had the One Thousand Years of Dreams and those were really good, and again it’s the one memorable thing about the game. I’m sort of vaguely interested in replaying it but then I remember how that ring system is just not a very fun gameplay mechanic, it’s an 80 hour JRPG which if I’m going to invest that time on a jrpg from that generation I’d just replay Replicant to ending D for the ninth time in as many years. Either that or FFXV, since last page had me pining to play it again.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 17, 2022

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1604183287177416705?s=46&t=b7b766CJCnuk9YTocAkSeQ

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I would give the world to see a Jack cameo in XVI.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

SettingSun posted:

I would give the world to see a Jack cameo in XVI.

it would be sick for Jack to become a Gilgamesh-style cameo character

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I hate to just regurgitate stuff from Twitter, but, lmao.

https://twitter.com/kotaku/status/1604189740533964801?s=61&t=29Jr3BQMbXE-ZN5c6fHF7Q

Reminds me of the Okami cover with the IGN logo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finished CC, weirdly perfunctory story that's barely 10 hours, not really sure how much of what it added was necessary to the FF 7 canon but they did well with the ending. Surprised that the bulk of the game is short missions but I guess that's the PSP for you.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I remember feeling at the time that Crisis Core did pretty well at adding backstory and characterization to several key players in FF 7. The ending was well done too. It has some original new characters and elements I could’ve done without but it felt like the only worthwhile FF 7 universe thing until the Remake happened.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

https://twitter.com/kotaku/status/1604189740533964801?s=61&t=29Jr3BQMbXE-ZN5c6fHF7Q

if I'm SE's lawyer I simply argue it was painted by the Gettyi Mages

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Crisis Core's best part was actually making Sephiroth a likable character which does actually make his fall into insanity and villany more emotional.

Sadly it also came with Genesis, who either should have had a personality or spouted more than the sane 3 verses of Loveless.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Like I said. You hear gently caress more than once every 30 hours, that's an M rated game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Crisis Core's best part was actually making Sephiroth a likable character which does actually make his fall into insanity and villany more emotional.

This was already part of my headcanon from when I wrote FF7 fics in the late 90's but it's nice to have official confirmation lol

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Not going to lie, I think if Type-0 had been made for home consoles instead of the PSP, it'd loving slap so goddamn hard. It's a great setting held back by being a portable game.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Sakurazuka posted:

This was already part of my headcanon from when I wrote FF7 fics in the late 90's but it's nice to have official confirmation lol

Did you also include the fan club wondering about Sephiroth's hair routine?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Oh gently caress Type-0 has two endings? I'm gonna have to play it twice I guess smdh

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FrostyPox posted:

Not going to lie, I think if Type-0 had been made for home consoles instead of the PSP, it'd loving slap so goddamn hard. It's a great setting held back by being a portable game.

Honestly I agree.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FrostyPox posted:

The controls are definitely the worst part

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Like I said. You hear gently caress more than once every 30 hours, that's an M rated game.

Nightmare inducing body horror is perfectly family friendly though

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Detective No. 27 posted:

Getty images is now canon to FF7.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gackt voice: “Ahh…Getty Images…the gift of the goddess”

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Sadly it also came with Genesis, who either should have had a personality or spouted more than the sane 3 verses of Loveless.

But the gift of the goddess tho

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FrostyPox posted:

:same:

Maybe we can get a remake in 20 years :unsmith:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NieR Occomata posted:

The Forest of Myth sequences in Replicant blow literally everything in Lost Odyssey out of the water. Otherwise yeah I don’t disagree, the presentation in one thousand years of dreams is really top notch. Again, it’s imo the only thing the game really has going for it. It was a game that coasted on its novelty and the fact that if you owned a 360 in 2008 and were a JRPG fan, aka me, your options were severely limited. It had the One Thousand Years of Dreams and those were really good, and again it’s the one memorable thing about the game. I’m sort of vaguely interested in replaying it but then I remember how that ring system is just not a very fun gameplay mechanic, it’s an 80 hour JRPG which if I’m going to invest that time on a jrpg from that generation I’d just replay Replicant to ending D for the ninth time in as many years. Either that or FFXV, since last page had me pining to play it again.

The real reason you shouldn't replay it is there is no encounter none ability.

Also the forest of myth in Nier did absolutely nothing for me. Its a matter of preference, obviously. For me, Nier and Lost Odyssey were opposites. The written portions were whatever to me in Nier while the main story carried me and I can mount no real enthusiasm for the main story in Lost Oddyssey.. Until you said it I didnt remember the Forest of Myth at all and my only recollection of it after prompting was "ugh, this thing between me and the next objective"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

man, kinda wish they'd redone the story FMVs in Crisis Core instead of just upscaling them. they legit look worse than the in-engine scenes lol.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Augus posted:

man, kinda wish they'd redone the story FMVs in Crisis Core instead of just upscaling them. they legit look worse than the in-engine scenes lol.

'FMVs looking worse than in-engine' is always a weird, funny part of a remaster. It happens every time, and maybe it's because I never really cared about them (I was an N64 kid, FMVs were for other people), but I just find it kinda charmingly funny every time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

NieR Occomata posted:

skill issue

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

If we can find out from the ESRB how many times someone says gently caress we might be able to estimate how long the game is

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Maybe it’s due to me being a gigantic yoko taro fan and assuming NieR was its own thing but forest of myth is the first time in the game you get definitive confirmation that Nier is a direct sequel to Drakengard, and I remember my mind exploding at the possibilities of what that could possibly loving mean. So for that alone I’m super fond of forest of myth. Also it does fourth wall breaking that’s actually funny and not either cringe inducing or eye rolling.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Augus posted:

See, what confuses me is that I'm 90% sure they did redo the FMV's, in some fashion, for one simple reason: The Buster Sword. The PSP game used the fancied-up version of the Buster Sword that was introduced in Advent Children:

While Reunion uses the OG Buster Sword design, like Remake does:

This is properly reflected in every single FMV, which implies that every single FMV was either remade or rerendered with the alternate Buster Sword model. Which begs the question:

WHY do they look like dogshit?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m just surprised they still had the FMV files hanging around, knowing SE’s track record for archiving things.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

GACKT...so pretty...

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

HD DAD posted:

I’m just surprised they still had the FMV files hanging around, knowing SE’s track record for archiving things.

They finally got their poo poo together on that front around the mid 2000s after the merger between Square and Enix

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the best part of this remake is the amount of newly-voiced Hojo dialogue :allears:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://www.square-enix-games.com/en_GB/news/final-fantasy-pixel-remaster

Pixel Remasters coming out for PS4/Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

:pray: please god fix the font

edit: no..... no!!!! https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1604358081713803264

Booky fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Dec 18, 2022