Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/fineanddanya/status/1603312903196532736?s=20&t=TMZZhoCGEXa7MrUZ4Z773w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

This sent me on a hunt to see what kind of paranormal things the French do have, and I found this sassy Mac Tonight looking rear end in a top hat:

That's the Nain Rouge aka the Red Dwarf, a harbinger of terrible things ranging from battles in the 17-1800s up through a bad ice storm a few decades ago. Apparently he only has a secondhand French connection though: while he is allegedly from Normandy his actual popularity is associated with the French population associated with Detroit, MI over the last few centuries.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Spanish had the mythical basajauns (male) and basanderes (female) who were hairy folk who lived in the deep woods and may have built the ancient megaliths and taught agriculture and ironworking to humans.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basajaun

It's pretty much a variation on the 'wild man of the woods' or 'woodwose' myths you get throughout England and Europe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_man

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
There's lot of weirdness behind Australia's Yowie, beyond just the gloss of "Australian Bigfoot." Though I guess it is like Bigfoot in that the indigenous myths are way more varied than "unknown hominid," going through ogres/demons/weird guys over the hill. One pseudoscientific idea is that the Yowie is a marsupial hominid which is fun. There are tons of frontier Australian newspaper accounts in the 1800s of weird poo poo that gets filtered into compilations nowadays. Author John Lemay has a good series of "Cowboys and Aliens/Dinosaurs" that reprints American accounts, with one volume on Aus/NZ - bear in mind he doesn't really analyze them at all and lots of old newspapers just made stuff up whole cloth - it's not even that Jonquil P. Bussyman was lying about seeing a UFO or a monster, it's that he never even existed in the first place. In the Aus/NZ volume he mentions the Zuiyo-maru carcass and calls the scientific explanation "the old basking shark canard," somewhat tongue in cheek, but still.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Obviously similar things exist in a lot of cultures but I really think we often undersell just how much the whole cryptid/UFO/conspiracy thing is a phenomena of North American and to a lesser extent British and other Anglophone culture. A friend of mine from Morocco was recently asking about what's going on with Trump hiding top secret documents in Mar a Lago and I made a joke about how one silver lining of the Trump presidency is that we at least know that the government isn't actually conspiring with aliens because he definitely would have casually mentioned that "Nobody gets along better with the aliens than me because they respect me so much," etc. That comment immediately derailed the conversation into "Why do you Americans obsess over UFOs and aliens so much? It's like you've got a UFO religion in your culture."

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

stereobreadsticks posted:

Obviously similar things exist in a lot of cultures but I really think we often undersell just how much the whole cryptid/UFO/conspiracy thing is a phenomena of North American and to a lesser extent British and other Anglophone culture. A friend of mine from Morocco was recently asking about what's going on with Trump hiding top secret documents in Mar a Lago and I made a joke about how one silver lining of the Trump presidency is that we at least know that the government isn't actually conspiring with aliens because he definitely would have casually mentioned that "Nobody gets along better with the aliens than me because they respect me so much," etc. That comment immediately derailed the conversation into "Why do you Americans obsess over UFOs and aliens so much? It's like you've got a UFO religion in your culture."

Lots of open country with nothing in it that wasn't originally ours and we haphazardly expanded into without looking at it too closely, lending a slight sense of Lynchian unease and fear that out there is something we as a culture have no long generational experience with, hiding just out of sight. Over time this mutated into having a more cosmic scale with the Space Age.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
https://twitter.com/qikipedia/status/1411671138355253256?s=20&t=j795666ZWa8q6sD_B1vMAA

On that topic, here's a map of every UFO report from 1906 to 2014 which kind of backs up my opinion about all of this being an American cultural phenomena. By far the most reports are in the US, Canada, the UK, and Ireland. Reports in continental Europe seem to be heaviest in countries with the closest ties to the Anglophone world, with the Netherlands leading the pack and reports gradually fading out from there. Similarly, in Latin America it seems that the most reports are in Mexico and Puerto Rico with fewer reports the further you get from the US. And in the Middle East, Asia, and Africa there seem to be notable clusters in Israel, Japan, India, Malaysia, and South Africa, all countries with close cultural ties to either the US or UK and likely with similarly exagerrated exposure to American and British media.

stereobreadsticks has a new favorite as of 23:50 on Dec 16, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

New Zealand has some surprisingly lit up parts on that map.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/qikipedia/status/1411671138355253256?s=20&t=j795666ZWa8q6sD_B1vMAA

On that topic, here's a map of every UFO report from 1906 to 2014 which kind of backs up my opinion about all of this being an American cultural phenomena. By far the most reports are in the US, Canada, the UK, and Ireland. Reports in continental Europe seem to be heaviest in countries with the closest ties to the Anglophone world, with the Netherlands leading the pack and reports gradually fading out from there. Similarly, in Latin America it seems that the most reports are in Mexico and Puerto Rico with fewer reports the further you get from the US. And in the Middle East, Asia, and Africa there seem to be notable clusters in Israel, Japan, India, Malaysia, and South Africa, all countries with close cultural ties to either the US or UK and likely with similarly exagerrated exposure to American and British media.

That's a neat map. I knew things were really US-centric, but that really makes it pop out. I have no idea what aliens' fascination with the midwest is, though, I'm from there and it ain't that great.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I guess aliens are pretty racist.

Greys? More like whites.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

The_Doctor posted:

New Zealand has some surprisingly lit up parts on that map.

The NZDF recently declassified all their files on UFOs, so I suspect that probably skews the numbers a bit — lots more available data.

As far as I know you can only access the records in hard copy, so you have to go into the National Archives to read them. I keep meaning to do that, I work just across the road from them and it seems like a great way to spend a few hours.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LOL now compare that to the maps of reported bigfoot sightings:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Bigfoots have been reported in every US state and East Texas is a real hot spot. They've been holding bigfoot conferences/conventions in Texas for several decades now

Of course, bigfoot has also been spotted all over the UK & Ireland:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1s1zOmmdM216PMftPUM9K1qqGrFg&ll=52.210354432013936%2C-0.9924323534613866&z=9

..... and also all Australia

https://www.yowiehunters.com.au/
https://studiopentagon.info/stats/yowiemap.php

LOL LOL LOL that's amazing

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh and here's the animated version of that UFO sightings timeline map:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL4H6saFyv4

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Maybe the aliens just really like McDonald's.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
They're after our sodium

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Aliens feed on alienation obviously

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Well I guess we know where the main X-COM base is.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I wish Scandinavia had some wacky cryptids that people were still hunting for in modern times.

Where's my Discovery show about plucky Norwegians investigating a new troll sighting every week?

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
My uncles legit went out to hunt the östmark Bigfoot lol

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

PurpleXVI posted:

I wish Scandinavia had some wacky cryptids that people were still hunting for in modern times.

Where's my Discovery show about plucky Norwegians investigating a new troll sighting every week?

there's a new movie about trolls out, I assumed they were all over the place out there. Like squirrels.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's a neat map. I knew things were really US-centric, but that really makes it pop out. I have no idea what aliens' fascination with the midwest is, though, I'm from there and it ain't that great.

Aliens, like all sentient life in the multi-verse, love a tater tot hotdish.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

I also wish Trollhunter was a documentary. I loved that movie when it came out.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Captain Hygiene posted:

You could some reasonable and plausible criticisms of the map: reporting and literature is very US-centric (or Western-centric). Cultural interpretations of UFO sighting could shape how (and whether) people report and phrase sightings. Population density will have an effect.

Conversely, compare UK and Western Europe to the US and UFOs look like a very American idea.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

nonathlon posted:

You could some reasonable and plausible criticisms of the map: reporting and literature is very US-centric (or Western-centric). Cultural interpretations of UFO sighting could shape how (and whether) people report and phrase sightings. Population density will have an effect.

Conversely, compare UK and Western Europe to the US and UFOs look like a very American idea.

The data is taken from NUFORC. The map shows not that the UFO is strictly cultural bound towards Anglo-US populations, but the inescapable truth that if you don't understand where your data is coming from then applying it will only lead you to false conclusions.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The animated timeline map shows that UFO sightings exploded across the US after the 1947 Roswell incident which was obviously a gigantic influence in putting the idea of UFOs into people's heads but I'd also be interested to know how all the other potential factors increased in the post-war period, eg: commercial air flights. From a quick googling the first commercial jet airliners (de Havilland DH.106 Comet) entered service in 1949

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The animated timeline map shows that UFO sightings exploded across the US after the 1947 Roswell incident which was obviously a gigantic influence in putting the idea of UFOs into people's heads but I'd also be interested to know how all the other potential factors increased in the post-war period, eg: commercial air flights. From a quick googling the first commercial jet airliners (de Havilland DH.106 Comet) entered service in 1949
I believe that Roswell was actually pretty obscure at the time and only got hyped up later as the big canonical UFO event. The big thing in 1947 was the Kenneth Arnold sighting, which invented the term "flying saucer" and basically started the UFO craze.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Lord Hydronium posted:

I believe that Roswell was actually pretty obscure at the time and only got hyped up later as the big canonical UFO event. The big thing in 1947 was the Kenneth Arnold sighting, which invented the term "flying saucer" and basically started the UFO craze.

That's my recollection too. And didn't Arnolds sighting get changed or published such that it created the canonical idea of a UFO - i.e. what he actually reported is different to what the classic story now says

I once knew someone doing a thesis on how popular culture shapes individual UFO reports and what people say / think they saw, e.g. greys, little green men, robots, benevolent Nordics. But it would have to be very difficult to pick those effects apart.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Weirdly enough there's a lot of parallels with the history and evolution of Santa Claus mythology. There'd been similar mythical character around the world and Saint Nicholas became the basis for a lot of the stories throughout Europe but Santa Claus was pretty much an Americanized version (based on Dutch immigrants' stories of Sint Nicolaas AKA Sinter Klaas which eventually got anglicized to Santa Claus) and then various US authors and newspaper illustrators fleshed out the story with details like the reindeer and the workshop at the North Pole and the elves and then Coca Cola used that imagery in an ad campaign and pretty much cemented the modern idea of Santa into people's heads.

And then cultural imperialism spread the US Santa Claus back to the rest of the globe.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

There was a documentary about a crew trying to find the Seljord Sea Monster, but it evolved into a documentary about how lovely the leader was and that everyone hated him.

Weirdly enough there's a lot of parallels with the history and evolution of Santa Claus mythology. There'd been similar mythical character around the world and Saint Nicholas became the basis for a lot of the stories throughout Europe but Santa Claus was pretty much an Americanized version (based on Dutch immigrants' stories of Sint Nicolaas AKA Sinter Klaas which eventually got anglicized to Santa Claus) and then various US authors and newspaper illustrators fleshed out the story with details like the reindeer and the workshop at the North Pole and the elves and then Coca Cola used that imagery in an ad campaign and pretty much cemented the modern idea of Santa into people's heads.

And then cultural imperialism spread the US Santa Claus back to the rest of the globe.
The Norwegian version of Santa is pretty separated from the US version. For one thing he's not named after St. Nicholas but is called Julenissen, which is more or less a christmas goblin https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nisse_(folklore).

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 12:41 on Dec 18, 2022

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

nonathlon posted:

That's my recollection too. And didn't Arnolds sighting get changed or published such that it created the canonical idea of a UFO - i.e. what he actually reported is different to what the classic story now says

I once knew someone doing a thesis on how popular culture shapes individual UFO reports and what people say / think they saw, e.g. greys, little green men, robots, benevolent Nordics. But it would have to be very difficult to pick those effects apart.

Arnold's craft were crescent shaped and moved "like skipping saucers" which got garbled into flying saucers

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Lord Hydronium posted:

When I was doing research in the Betty & Barney Hill papers over the summer, I actually came across an account of Roswell from a 1967 UFO magazine, which really surprised me. It was really brief, acknowledged it as mistaken identity for a balloon, and located it at Fort Worth. It was really interesting to see an example of how (little) Roswell lingered even in the UFO field prior to it getting revived in 1978.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Arnold's craft were crescent shaped and moved "like skipping saucers" which got garbled into flying saucers

That's it. I think someone also did calculations on what Arnold judged to be the size and distance of the objects and found they were incompatible. He couldn't have seen something of that size at that distance. Which is not to say that he was dishonest but that pilots aren't foolproof observers.

Roswell, and the English version in Rendlesham, are frustrating in that there's so little to them and they've been thoroughly debunked but fans keep coming back to them and endlessly resucitate the cases. Hesdalen valley is interesting, the Cash-Landrum incident is interesting. But instead they conjure up hazy conspiracies and unprovable testimony to bolster creaky cases.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I've always thought the theory that Kenneth Arnold saw a test flight of flying wing prototypes made a lot of sense.

https://gritcitymag.com/2019/10/how-tacoma-gave-the-world-the-flying-saucer/

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Doesn't really match his eyewitness account in how they moved or how fast he claimed they were moving. And when has anyone ever built an entire squadron of prototype aircraft at once? That's not how experimental aircraft testing has ever worked and it would be a terrible and illogical idea from a practical standpoint.

Going through and reading his Fate magazine story and the other version in his book, it seems super obvious to me based on his description that he just saw a flock of high-altitude swans or geese that he thought were a lot father away and moving a lot faster than he immediately assumed. In his earliest interviews he even recognized that the formation resembled birds and the skipping reads a whole lot like flapping wings to me.

Maybe they were distorted by thermals or the glass of his cockpit or the angle of the sun bouncing off of them or something. But like most of this stuff, the real answer is probably very mundane.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

feedmyleg posted:

Doesn't really match his eyewitness account in how they moved or how fast he claimed they were moving. And when has anyone ever built an entire squadron of prototype aircraft at once? That's not how experimental aircraft testing has ever worked and it would be a terrible and illogical idea from a practical standpoint.

Going through and reading his Fate magazine story and the other version in his book, it seems super obvious to me based on his description that he just saw a flock of high-altitude swans or geese that he thought were a lot father away and moving a lot faster than he immediately assumed. In his earliest interviews he even recognized that the formation resembled birds and the skipping reads a whole lot like flapping wings to me.

Maybe they were distorted by thermals or the glass of his cockpit or the angle of the sun bouncing off of them or something. But like most of this stuff, the real answer is probably very mundane.

A good post, thanks for checking the original Fate story when I was too lazy

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

For my job, I've spent a lot of time in a plane actively observing for other aircraft and obstacles, and there's no way on earth I'd be able to reliably estimate sizes and distances for things even when I know the ground truth based on other available information. Especially so for things in the sky without any good frame of reference to judge from, but even for things on the ground sometimes. I can easily believe his sighting was based on a mistake like that.

Details on size and speed that folks report for sightings from the ground also seem super questionable, it's tough enough to estimate anything while planewatching on the ground at an airport, to say nothing of just looking up into the sky from some other random location. And at night? Don't be silly.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah the Corridor Crew guys debunked a bunch of the recent Pentagon UFO videos and they decided that one was probably a slow moving bird viewed from a fast moving plane, but the motion parallax effect made it look like the "UFO" was moving super fast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHDlfIaBEqw&t=251s

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It's two half bird shaped UFOs real close

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Is there any source that’s a good comprehensive look at the Phantom Time/New Chronology/Tartaria conspiracy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Chairman Capone posted:

Is there any source that’s a good comprehensive look at the Phantom Time/New Chronology/Tartaria conspiracy?

Unfortunately, not to my knowledge, I've mostly just read bits here and there about both and don't have a good single comprehensive source to point you too, but you can find plenty of stuff about both that's mostly skeptical/debunking just by Googling. I can tell you, though, that Phantom Time and New Chronology are actually two completely different crank pseudohistorical conspiracy theories and that "Tartaria" is connected to the latter but is also kind of its own thing these days; Phantom Time is the relatively more "plausible" one of the two; it asserts that the Pope and Holy Roman Emperor fabricated about 300 years of history between the 7th and 10th centuries to legitimize themselves. It's not true in any sense, but it's a little more self-consistent and a little less batshit than the New Chronology, which is the Russian nationalist conspiracy theory created by Fomenko (and popularized by Kasparov) that asserts that pretty much the entirety of history before 800-1000 AD is fictional and also "the Russian Horde" was the greatest empire in the history of the world.