Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
she was confirmed dead by makima using her contract via her corpse against the gun devil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

I don't have a sub so I can't go back and check but I thought specifically they wanted to keep him from revealing his identity because they want him to have a quiet life

Whether that’s true or not you’re correct as to what Yoshida says. I think as you said they don’t want a situation like when he rampaged last time. They might also not want to give him too good a life in case losing it also causes a rampage.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Nuebot posted:

So here's a weird question that I'm probably going to have to re-read the series to get a satisfying answer to any time soon: did the lady with the snake demon contract actually die? I can't remember how that fight went, but watching the anime I've only now noticed that her eyes are red and distinctly not human looking which is probably just the snake theme going on; but still.

She’s caught by Kobeni and Ami but then in Makima’s report we see this. When makima is using her body she has stitches around her neck too.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

lih posted:

she was confirmed dead by makima using her contract via her corpse against the gun devil

Thanks, I started re-reading the series anyway and just got caught up to the anime to confirm for myself so I might as well power through and finish it again anyway. I love how the pacing is. Shame I wasn't on to something there though, guess she's just got weird eyes.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
yeah the eyes are possibly just a side effect of her snake devil contract or something

but i guess that did help mystify makima's whole deal too

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

lih posted:

It is weird that Makima can use "lifetime" contracts of corpses. Presumably, human corpses carry vestiges of their powers in the same way that devil corpses do, I suppose.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

EmmyOk posted:

She’s caught by Kobeni and Ami but then in Makima’s report we see this. When makima is using her body she has stitches around her neck too.

I had forgotten Kobeni was right there lol ,just can't catch a single break.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

SirKibbles posted:

I had forgotten Kobeni was right there lol ,just can't catch a single break.

She was gonna murder Sawatari if Aki hadn't stopped her.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

From rereading those chapters again as well as rewatching the episode one thing that jumps out to me is Ghost refusing to take on Sawatari. When Himeno tries to command just the hand to (presumably) choke Sawatari Ghost says "no that girl is too scary/dreadful" which makes her sound like she had more going on than just a favourable contract with Snake imo. Considering the kilo and a half of Gun Devil Flesh they had maybe it's just that she was juiced to the gills on it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Finished my re-read and two things do jump out at me though! First being that Denji mentions he remembers being able to "Fight like that" in regards to being able to pull out Pochita and keep fighting as just a body. Which, personally, I think makes me lean more on the whole "fake chainsaw has something to do with some manner of body parts somewhere" since apparently chainsaw man was fighting the four horsemen and weapon devils before vanishing. If he threw pochita out, maybe someone took the empty body. Secondly, it seemed to met at least Nayuta still seemed to have some vague memory/instinct to bite Denji how Makima bit him, which might lead to finding power one day in the distant future. Different people, different personalities, but vague memories of who or what they used to be doesn't seem too impossible.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

From rereading those chapters again as well as rewatching the episode one thing that jumps out to me is Ghost refusing to take on Sawatari. When Himeno tries to command just the hand to (presumably) choke Sawatari Ghost says "no that girl is too scary/dreadful" which makes her sound like she had more going on than just a favourable contract with Snake imo. Considering the kilo and a half of Gun Devil Flesh they had maybe it's just that she was juiced to the gills on it.

Yeah, between Ghost refusing to fight her and her weird eyes, which usually hint at being non-human, I think Sawatari was intended to be a bigger deal at first, but Fujimoto ultimately decided against it and made her just a random private devil hunter.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Hedge trimmer man going around stealing Denji's thunder.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Snake instantly bodied Ghost *and* kept her to be used later. That's plenty loving scary enough to not need deeper reading.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Snake devil being absurdly strong makes sense, I myself am not afraid of snakes but a coworker of mine left a rubber snake on the floor on April Fool’s Day and a person almost stepped on it, saw it, and immediately threw up in fear.

I wonder why Princi the spider devil was so humanoid, I thought spiders were as feared as snakes.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Yeah but spiders are friends.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Snake devil being absurdly strong makes sense, I myself am not afraid of snakes but a coworker of mine left a rubber snake on the floor on April Fool’s Day and a person almost stepped on it, saw it, and immediately threw up in fear.

I wonder why Princi the spider devil was so humanoid, I thought spiders were as feared as snakes.

Shape isn't about how humans feel about devils. It's how the devils feel about humans.

Makima and Angel are very feared, thus very powerful, but since they don't want to kill humans, they're very human looking. Princi isn't as all-in as Makima, but she's on the same side of that argument, she's recognizably human-like.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

There are a lot more parts of the world where dying horribly from a snake bite is a practical concern than ones where dying from a spider bite is a practical concern. Spiders are scary in an alien way but they generally keep to themselves and will flee larger animals whenever possible; snakes are directly, viscerally threatening in a way that goes back before human history began in earnest.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
The spider devil is probably really into Makima's abilities to literally entangle people and preserve them for future consumption. Much like how the shark devil sees Chainsaw Man and instinctively recognizes him as a kindred spirit. In that sense you could easily envision that the spider devil has a sense of intellectualism to it that might ingratiate it to humans, whereas fear of snakes is very primal and bestial.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

i hadn't looked at the lyrics for the anime endings and 4's is so. goddamn :(

i'm gonna be bawling when we get to the dumpster scene

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

Shape isn't about how humans feel about devils. It's how the devils feel about humans.

Makima and Angel are very feared, thus very powerful, but since they don't want to kill humans, they're very human looking. Princi isn't as all-in as Makima, but she's on the same side of that argument, she's recognizably human-like.

I assume it depends on the incarnation too. The next Spider Devil could be more hostile and less humanoid.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Snake ate her after she got captured.

Hrrrng... Para-Medic, there's something off about this...

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Ended up re-reading part 1 in it's entirety again today. Meant to only read up to where the anime was while I was getting my oil changed but ended up reading all of it. There was a lot that I had forgotten from my first read, like Power coming back as the Blood Devil, and stuff like that. Goddamn this manga is good

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

Ended up re-reading part 1 in it's entirety again today. Meant to only read up to where the anime was while I was getting my oil changed but ended up reading all of it. There was a lot that I had forgotten from my first read, like Power coming back as the Blood Devil, and stuff like that. Goddamn this manga is good

It is, and I love how its so fast paced that it's really easy to just read, and then take a break when the short arcs end because it doesn't usually leave you hanging on huge cliffhangers or dangling plot threads for too long. I'm looking forward to seeing where the anime ends because I'm absolutely convinced it's going to be the defeat of Katana and that scene will be great.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno if this is the right thread to say this, but I finally read fire punch. once I started I couldn't stop, and I read the whole thing in one sitting. overall, I think it was pretty good. especially for a first manga. it is pretty crazy that he went from that to chainsaw man. I do like chainsaw man just because I think it's more funny and less depressing and more grounded (although fire punch definitely has its fair share of humor.). he's really an amazing creator. I'm kind of curious about what people think the overall themes of chainsaw man are? fire punch seems to be all about identity and the difference between right and wrong not really mattering sometimes. chainsaw man is harder for me to pin down.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Fire Punch is about identity and self discovery and Chainsaw Man is about dreams and self actualization.

PringleCreamEgg fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 18, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Gonna be honest, going off the name I definitely did not expect the premise to be (intro spoilers so not a huge deal but whatevs)protagonist with hyper regeneration get burned by flames that only die with their victim but regenerates faster than the flames can burn him, spending ten excruciating years becoming gradually numb enough to properly function. Hell of an origin story.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Mirello posted:

I dunno if this is the right thread to say this, but I finally read fire punch. once I started I couldn't stop, and I read the whole thing in one sitting. overall, I think it was pretty good. especially for a first manga. it is pretty crazy that he went from that to chainsaw man. I do like chainsaw man just because I think it's more funny and less depressing and more grounded (although fire punch definitely has its fair share of humor.). he's really an amazing creator. I'm kind of curious about what people think the overall themes of chainsaw man are? fire punch seems to be all about identity and the difference between right and wrong not really mattering sometimes. chainsaw man is harder for me to pin down.

I haven't read all of Fire Punch, but they seem to have several similarities thematically.

I think one of the 'tells' about Chainsaw Man's themes is what all the characters say about Chainsaw Man in part 2. No matter how many times you knock him down, he gets back up. Both series are really fascinated by the idea of regeneration as a superpower. There are a couple reasons for this, I think, but one of them is that it works as a very compelling metaphor for persistence and the ability for the protagonist to heal from what life tosses at them.

Here are some similarities in the narratives of Fire Punch and Chainsaw Man:
-Human civilization has entered a quiet apocalypse era due to a global catastrophe
-Humans are beginning to evolve into new forms of life with frightening powers
-Powerful people are immoral and use their power on the powerless without repercussion
-If you want to survive in this world, you have to let yourself become a little insane
-Outcasts have to compromise their human dignity to survive, and this warps or breaks their common sense and perspective
-The protagonist's life is a series of traumatic events
-The protagonist has both the powers of immortality and the ability to bring about the irreversible destruction of everything around them
-The protagonist's destructive powers are basically a weaponization of their own suffering (chainsaws that tear your own flesh apart; spreading the fire that engulfs you and can never be extinguished)
-The "common enemy" of humanity is a fabrication used to manipulate geopolitics
-The protagonist's moment of heroism is when they are able to think for themself, rather than bending to someone else's will

The thing that stands out to me most is the idea that the hero of the story is both unkillable and has the ability to destroy everything around them. I think Fujimoto is basically a pessimist, and he sees life as being full of a bunch of unfair bullshit, the machinations of powerful entities, an endless series of indignities, and losing the few people that give you something good in life. When you look at it from this perspective, immortality seems more like a curse than a blessing. In other words, the protagonist's life sucks, and the biggest joke of all is that he has to live it. This makes it very tantalizing to just destroy everything around them (with fires that never go out, or with a chainsaw that erases things from existence).

Denji's life is basically the worst, full of deprivation and a complete lack of bodily autonomy. The plot twist that he killed his father is like a final nail in the coffin--he can't even claim a "woe is me" moral high ground, because his actions directly led his life to that outcome. The visual metaphor for his life is that his limbs are constantly being torn apart, his severed torso is being dragged around without him having any say in the matter, and he has to take filth into his body to survive.

I think that the chainsaw tearing its way out of his head is an important visual metaphor. He doesn't let himself think about the rage that's just underneath the surface of his consciousness. He is repeatedly told throughout the story "hey, have you realized how unfair your life is?" and his response is basically a deflection. "I got to eat BBQ the other day so I can't complain." When he wishes he could be one of Makima's dogs, and not have to think for himself, I think it's because he's at the point where he can't really ignore the reality of his life any more. His life is horrible, it's a direct outcome of his own misdeed, and the two people who were like family to him are gone. The cognitive dissonance overwhelms his coping mechanism. Despite all of that, he is able to defeat Makima, the devil who is basically the embodiment of I'm Better Than You, and he's able to do it with compassion. He sees her as an equal, which both means recognizing his own intrinsic worth (being equal to the i'm better than you devil) and also recognizing her vulnerability (the i'm better than you devil is just as lonely and hosed up and miserable as I am).

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

https://twitter.com/csperfectshot/status/1604487502156685312?s=46&t=fRfay8Fu3l8E7MpgImuKXA

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
UMM! Actually I'm a mod on the Devil Hunting Reddit, thank you very much.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cephas posted:

Here are some similarities in the narratives of Fire Punch and Chainsaw Man:
-Human civilization has entered a quiet apocalypse era due to a global catastrophe
-Humans are beginning to evolve into new forms of life with frightening powers
-Powerful people are immoral and use their power on the powerless without repercussion
-If you want to survive in this world, you have to let yourself become a little insane
-Outcasts have to compromise their human dignity to survive, and this warps or breaks their common sense and perspective
-The protagonist's life is a series of traumatic events
-The protagonist has both the powers of immortality and the ability to bring about the irreversible destruction of everything around them
-The protagonist's destructive powers are basically a weaponization of their own suffering (chainsaws that tear your own flesh apart; spreading the fire that engulfs you and can never be extinguished)
-The "common enemy" of humanity is a fabrication used to manipulate geopolitics
-The protagonist's moment of heroism is when they are able to think for themself, rather than bending to someone else's will

It's an interesting analysis overall, but I'd say some of your points in regards to Fire Punch and Chainsaw Man being similar feel a bit off.

Chainsaw Man has a setting where normal still exists. Sure, it can be interrupted at any time, but the world is still functional, and being sane is only guaranteed lethal if you plunge into the storm. In fact, we keep getting glimpses of normal, and the tragedy of some characters (Kurose, Aki, Himeno) is the fact they could have left the madness behind.

Fire Punch doesn't have that.

Chainsaw Man is, from what we see, a world that has adapted to its nightmarish reality. Devils will kill hundreds of thousands of people every year, but the survivors can still take time off from work to see a movie. It's not the apocalypse. It's just another helping of the usual poo poo.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Asa has the social skills of a dead fish, I love her.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

This is, on balance, not one of the better dates Denji has ever had.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

I cannot believe that Denji is legitimately the smart one here.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

The point of Chainsaw Man is clearly to demonstrate there is always a bigger idiot than the man you imagine is the biggest idiot of all time. Excellent work!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

This is, on balance, not one of the better dates Denji has ever had.

I'd say that, unless it takes an unexpected turn, it's the worst by a comfortable margin. Quite impressive, considering how many murders Denji's dates have on average.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
His second date with Reze is still probably worse, but this one isn't over yet.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

LostRook posted:

His second date with Reze is still probably worse, but this one isn't over yet.

Nah, that one had a great first part, and ended with a nice swim. Sure, the middle had a lot of murders, but at least they got to see the fireworks first.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Denji has had some pretty great dates too, that's something that puts things into even better context. Like, things with Makima and Reze ended tragically but the first dates he had with both of them were really nice and sweet.

Imagine going from something like the movie date with Makima or skinny dipping at the school with Reze to having Asa aggressively quoting fish facts at you.

This might not be his worst date, but it's gotta be one of the most disappointing.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuddlesworth
Apr 3, 2007

The emotions of this page are delightful to me. Asa is annoyed at being discounted as ignorant about things when she knows exactly why they are stuck there, and from her perspective Denji is just some Chainsawman fanboy making up stuff to sound cooler. But you can't normally tell your date "Yeah actually we're stuck here by the famine devil to starve until I turn you into a weapon to appease the war devil inside of me," so she comes up with some half baked lie herself to try to impress some authority. But that will never work with Denji!

Both these characters have unbelievable experiences with devils that you would never believe coming out of any teenager's mouth, and because of that neither can believe the other. As a reader you want them to listen to one another, but in this situation it is impossible. It is maddening and I love it.