Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Cojawfee posted:

Who was the first person to poo poo on a plane in flight.

I don’t know, but Gerard Finneran is the all-time plane-pooping champ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_lavatory

"The British Supermarine Stranraer flying boat, which first flew in 1934, was fitted with a toilet that was open to the air. When the lid was lifted in flight, airflow produced a whistling noise that led to the aircraft being nicknamed the "Whistling Shithouse"."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
https://www.theautopian.com/how-i-got-my-navy-callsign-by-making GBS threads-myself-in-an-f-a-18-fighter-jet-twice/

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Angry french and Brazilian plane nerds shake their fists in anger at you
It should have Percy Pilcher.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

I read this story a while ago and recall it fondly. Good click.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

A+ content.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Sagebrush posted:

the wrights were the first people to fly a plane (1) that maintained altitude under its own power and (2) was fully controllable in yaw, pitch and roll, allowing coordinated flight. until you have both of those things you're either gliding or not in control of the vehicle.

Sort of. There was no independent rudder control, it was aileron-rudder interconnected with both controlled by the cradle.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/jaredbkeller/status/1603804421682393088?s=20&t=361rCivtEj_X6PHkLAZIow

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/air-force-call-sign-titties/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Phanatic posted:

*On* the plane?

lol

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Sagebrush posted:

the wrights were the first people to fly a plane (1) that maintained altitude under its own power and (2) was fully controllable in yaw, pitch and roll, allowing coordinated flight. until you have both of those things you're either gliding or not in control of the vehicle.

The builder of Tiira would question those requirements. He flew 70 hours without ailerons.

Finnish "Tiira 1", home built from farm equipment and flown without aviation experience in 1973

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

you don't need three discrete control surfaces for controllable flight in all three axes; the pou de ciel design also doesn't have ailerons and there are of course very many rudderless flying wings out there

my understanding is that other pioneer designers like langley contemporaneous with the wrights just didn't believe in roll at all and conceptualized aircraft that would ascend to a given height and then navigate with yaw alone, remaining totally laterally static

e: also, the analysis im still waiting for is someone making the case that the wrights succeeded because they were ace and im only half joking. queer theory-based aviation historiography when???

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 18, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

vessbot posted:

Sort of. There was no independent rudder control, it was aileron-rudder interconnected with both controlled by the cradle.

the point is they recognized that aircraft had to turn by rolling and that yaw and roll were linked. they knew that you wouldn't be able to just climb up into the air and then steer around with a rudder like a boat, as most of their rivals were attempting.

Saukkis posted:

The builder of Tiira would question those requirements. He flew 70 hours without ailerons.

with the benefit of several decades of aerodynamic research, he knew that yaw-roll coupling would make his plane generally controllable even without physical ailerons. notably, he would still have control in all three axes -- just not fully independent control. ercoupes also don't have rudder pedals, but they do have three-axis control. there are a number of maneuvers that tiira and ercoupes are unable to perform, though.

HookedOnChthonics posted:

my understanding is that other pioneer designers like langley contemporaneous with the wrights just didn't believe in roll at all and conceptualized aircraft that would ascend to a given height and then navigate with yaw alone, remaining totally laterally static

yes, that's basically it.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 18, 2022

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I wonder if we could make wing-warping practical again with, like, flexible composites

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
So it’s a canard biplane, with contrarotating pusher props driven by a single engine? I’m sold, if only you can give it floats.

FuturePastNow posted:

I wonder if we could make wing-warping practical again with, like, flexible composites

Boeing X-53 Active Aerolastic Wing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5TI8e90HQo

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Shoulda rigged the reg number to be 58-0008, they were already halfway there. :mad:

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

vessbot posted:

Also no ailerons, the Wright Flyer used wing warping which was still quite common at the time in gliders.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Bondematt posted:

Also no ailerons, the Wright Flyer used wing warping which was still quite common at the time in gliders.

Oops! Lol yeah.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So you're saying I should go to the Smithsonian and burn the wright "flyer" down because it is a fraud?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Didn’t Curtis invented ailerons to get around the Wright’s patent on wing warping?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yep. And they tried to sue him for it too, iirc.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Cojawfee posted:

So you're saying I should go to the Smithsonian and burn the wright "flyer" down because it is a fraud?

Ardeem posted:

Didn’t Curtis invented ailerons to get around the Wright’s patent on wing warping?

as part of this lawsuit, curtiss modified langley's aerodrome, which had been very unsuccessfully tested a few days before the Wright brothers' first flight, and got it airborne, to retroactively claim it as the true first airplane. langley was the smithsonian museum secretary, so they supported his claim, and the wrights in turn refused to donate anything to the collection

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wright_brothers#Smithsonian_feud

so up until 1942 they would have helped you do it!

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 18, 2022

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Yep. And they tried to sue him for it too, iirc.

To add something to this, the Wrights actually won the lawsuit (and several more), with the side effect being that the "patent wars" between them and Curtiss largely blocked development of new airplanes in the US until WW1.

At that point, the US Government stepped in and set up a "patent pool" where all US aircraft manufacturers paid a nominal fee (which went to the Curtiss and Wright companies) for being able to use any of the patents in the pool.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

azflyboy posted:

To add something to this, the Wrights actually won the lawsuit (and several more), with the side effect being that the "patent wars" between them and Curtiss largely blocked development of new airplanes in the US until WW1.

At that point, the US Government stepped in and set up a "patent pool" where all US aircraft manufacturers paid a nominal fee (which went to the Curtiss and Wright companies) for being able to use any of the patents in the pool.

drat we lost 15 years of aircraft development, we could have the 300pax 777 replacement 737MAX20 by now

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Happened to someone on Reddit at FL380

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
loving birds.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
What birds are at 38k feet?

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
https://twitter.com/OnDisasters/status/1605000646498734080

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

stealie72 posted:

"“Rüppell’s vulture” posted:

Rüppell's vulture was confirmed to have been ingested by a jet engine of an airplane flying over Abidjan, Ivory Coast on 29 November 1973 at an altitude of 11,300 m (37,000 ft).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maybe it was a big bug.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Starlink debris.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
They think that it was internal stress finally giving way.

I’m sure that many of you considered that but dismissed it as unremarkable.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

stealie72 posted:

One less than before.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Platystemon posted:

Why would the windshield be stressed at 38k feet?

It’s a windshield, it doesn’t have emotions.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FrozenVent posted:

This callous attitude is why it was so stressed to begin with.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This callous attitude is why it was so stressed to begin with.

FrozenVent posted:

And I thought aviation had learned to deal with mental health concerns.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

FrozenVent posted:

loving birds.

Platystemon posted:

It's probably neither of these things; my bet is on a windscreen heat failure. 99 times out of 100 that's what causes this kind of failure, when one of the heating element wires shorts out and overheats the windscreen panel locally.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Interesting.

quote:

I’ve had 2 different window situations in the CRJ7. One was a window arcing that formed a hairline crack on the side windshield. Didn’t develop further, but the plane was toast when we got to the outstation. The other was a heater arcing, started the hairline fractures, then BAM. Like a gunshot, the whole middle ply shattered.

The one that busted started out looking pretty cool, from an objective standpoint. The entire lower right corner of the CA side windshield was sizzling. Like the quintessential sparking effect when a cartoon western lights a trail of gunpowder. We watched the crack split up to the upper left corner, and it felt like slow-motion as we both reached up for the Windshield Heat on the overhead. The mini fireworks ceased but it was too late. 💥🔫

quote:

This was pretty common on CRJs for a bit. Described as sounding like you said or a gun shot.

quote:

This one was surprisingly quiet, I’ve had others that were like a .357 going off in the cockpit

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

O yeah no biggie it does that sometimes

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
All I can think of is this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Lord Stimperor posted:

And I thought aviation had learned to deal with mental health concerns.

lol, lmao, rofl, etc