Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

From another thread

Sarah Cenia posted:

plumbers installed a new water line at work

I've never seen anyone just fire up the torch and go for it without putting anything down before lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Someone has been roughing in for too long,

and forgot once the paint and trim goes in there are certain niceties that have to be observed .

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Horatius Bonar posted:

It's Delta Fassade, I have no idea how to get it in less than house building quantities.

https://delta.dorken.com/delta-fass...MxoCzesQAvD_BwE

Thanks, I'll see if I can find a source for it or something similar.

Horatius Bonar posted:

You can cut (or split) 3 1/2" thick rockwool approximately down the middle with a bread knife and get two pieces that will about fill your 2". But then you'll see what I mean about it not being good exposed. Too narrow means you need to stack a few, across or beside eachother and cut to size to fill the cavity.

Yeah if I can't figure out someplace to get the size I need, this is probably what I'll end up doing.

Vim Fuego posted:

Post a pic of this cockamamie setup. Also, doesn't computer equipment usually have airflow instead of insulation because it needs cooling to keep working?

There's nothing particularly cockamamie about it, this is a very common style of rack. There's about 2 inches of open space behind the door, and the uprights are adjustable so I can increase that a bit if I need to. The holes in the mesh panel are just a shade over 3.5mm, so a #6 screw will fit through them. Most datacenters use under-floor cold air ventilation, so the bottom of the rack is open, and I have an air handler unit that will pull air from underneath the rack and push it up over the front of the servers. I'll have to seal up the bottom around the fan intake, and I have a few ideas for how to do that.

Soundproof server racks are not unusual, they're just very expensive, and I'm trying to make something functional out of what I've already got.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Comedy option: immerse all the hardware in Fluorinert.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Comedy option: immerse all the hardware in Fluorinert.

If only it wasn't $1000/liter. Liquid-cooled servers are becoming more popular for a lot of reasons having nothing to do with noise, but hopefully they'll proliferate and turbonerds like me will one day not have to choose between having nice servers and having eardrums.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Lmao payday's on Friday, poo poo rolls downhill, and I'm gonna fuckin rawdog it with that torch

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010

Found here: https://old.reddit.com/r/facepalm/comments/zoadd5/neighbor_diy_deck/

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

MRC48B posted:

Someone has been roughing in for too long,

and forgot once the paint and trim goes in there are certain niceties that have to be observed .

Could be worse.
Could have burned down an entire 250 unit apartment complex under construction . The glow from that fire was visible from ~5 miles away

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

fatman1683 posted:

Most datacenters use under-floor cold air ventilation, so the bottom of the rack is open, and I have an air handler unit that will pull air from underneath the rack and push it up over the front of the servers.

This is not true, and in a way that may significantly impact your plans.

Datacenters do usually push cold air through raised floors, however it doesn't come up under the racks. Instead, whole aisles of rack are face-to-face and cold air is forced up into the aisle between them, then gets pulled through the equipment to the returns in the row behind (back-to-back rows are returns). The cooling system is front to back, not bottom to top.

This is significant because of the air volume. That rack doesn't look to have much room for air to get in front of a server (behind is almost always less of an issue), and you're planning to impede the airflow with... Something.

It sounds like you're building a makeshift rockwool box to suffocate datacenter equipment inside, if I'm honest.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Motronic posted:

This person has been doing the same type of aspirational posting in the wiring thread. As far as they have said none of this exists and they are just planning. They are trying to figure things out from a base level of knowledge that is pretty much reinventing it all from first principals.

I'd like to help them with their server rack of undisclosed size or composition that they seem to want to power and provide networking connections through a sealed set of ports to be placed somewhere in a place they rent but nothing made enough sense to give any real advice.

Nothing else has been apparent or disclosed. I'm not sure why this is a big secret other than this person thinking they need to use and ground shielded twisted pair ethernet cable inside of this undisclosed size rack so that 10 Gig E would work.

Do I have this all correct fatman?
Lol I bet it's crypto mining and they're trying to make sure their landlord doesn't find out where all the electricity's going.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Plastik posted:

This is not true, and in a way that may significantly impact your plans.

Datacenters do usually push cold air through raised floors, however it doesn't come up under the racks. Instead, whole aisles of rack are face-to-face and cold air is forced up into the aisle between them, then gets pulled through the equipment to the returns in the row behind (back-to-back rows are returns). The cooling system is front to back, not bottom to top.

This is significant because of the air volume. That rack doesn't look to have much room for air to get in front of a server (behind is almost always less of an issue), and you're planning to impede the airflow with... Something.

It sounds like you're building a makeshift rockwool box to suffocate datacenter equipment inside, if I'm honest.

This is the air handling unit I'm using. It's designed to pull air from under the floor using a duct through a hole cut in the tile. Whether or not this is a smart idea in a datacenter with a proper cold aisle/hot aisle configuration is not relevant to this discussion, but it does direct air from underneath the rack up the front of the rack to the server intakes. It's rated for 3.5kw of cooling, which is way more power than I'll ever have in this rack, so even though that rating is probably based on datacenter intake air temperatures, I suspect I can get away with about half that much thermal load at 'normal' room temperature, and the thickness of the door insulation and the positioning of the forward upright will be such that airflow from the intake is unimpeded from bottom to top. I won't be using the ducting, just letting it pull in air from under the rack through a filter. The top of the rack has an exhaust fan at the back, and the two fans are rated within 10% CFM of each other, so airflow should be pretty balanced.

fatman1683 fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Dec 18, 2022

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
If you want quiet gear then answer is to build your own supermicro or whatever and give it nice tower coolers and 120mm fans instead of repurposing 1RU machines from disposals.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

~Coxy posted:

If you want quiet gear then answer is to build your own supermicro or whatever and give it nice tower coolers and 120mm fans instead of repurposing 1RU machines from disposals.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

It's like BeatmastrJ reincarnated as an IT nerd.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

fatman1683 posted:

This air handling unit

from the specs: 503 cfm. OP if you put this thing in your rack you’re gonna need hearing protection instead of sound dampening

~Coxy posted:

fractal design makes a really nice tower case with sound insulation on four sides, and it’s a better upgrade than water cooling

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 18, 2022

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
there are so many things wrong with this, it's amazing. I'd love to hear an update. Whoever took this photo should be calling local licensing and inspections first thing Monday.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

hypnophant posted:

from the specs: 503 cfm. OP if you put this thing in your rack you’re gonna need hearing protection instead of sound dampening

Jesus 70 dB of painful high pitched whine. This is a terrible idea.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Happiness Commando posted:

Jesus 70 dB of painful high pitched whine. This is a terrible idea.

So it pretty much fits in this thread. Aside from the fact that it is crappy IT assembly, and not crappy civil construction.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Read through the last few pages of the wiring thread. I’m going to die laughing when we find out this is all for this guy’s nas/pfsense/torrent box.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Assuming a 20°F rise in temperature through the IT
equipment (ΔT), approximately 160 CFM per kW of properly conditioned (68-77°F) room air would be required in order to maintain proper cooling.

A 1kW heater is a pretty decent size, so running that 24/7 is going to make whatever room it's in pretty toasty.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I love in heist movies when the IT guy is in the server room and everyone can hear him totally fine and he's not screaming over the 1U fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDacjrSCeq4

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

My very naive thought was that they accidentally built it too short, so they were using cinderblocks to figure out how it would look like if it were taller, or if they needed to make very long stairs.

Then I realized.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

devicenull posted:

A 1kW heater is a pretty decent size, so running that 24/7 is going to make whatever room it's in pretty toasty.

Drakeno: heating your house with Bitcoin miners
Drakeyes: heating your house with the "cooling fan" you bought for the Bitcoin miners.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
All those cinder blocks. That's the 78 Camaro of decks.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

~Coxy posted:

Exactly this. Although, you may not even have to go custom, modern Dell servers run their fans pretty quietly as long as you're not

Splicer posted:

Lol I bet it's crypto mining and they're trying to make sure their landlord doesn't find out where all the electricity's going.

yeah uh welp.

But more importantly, silent server racks are expensive for a REASON, and that's that while the soundproofing materials may be cheap, engineering a rack to be quiet outwardly but also channel lots of air properly for cooling is very difficult and expensive. Many of those racks have internal air channels (usually with multiple bends, and all insulated with soundproofing on the inside such that the sound hits those bends and gets absorbed), plus various layers of soundproofing on all sides of the rack, not just the front and back. Any penetrations whatsoever are conduits for air, which is the conduit for sound, so slapping a bunch of soundproofing on the back door is only going to get you a bit of reduction even before you get to putting a SEVENTY DECIBEL fan in the bottom of the rack. :lmao: And all your servers will be exhausting air at a solid board 2 inches away - even with some airflow from that 503 cfm fan and some amount of convection movement they're still going to be cooking themselves.

I've been where you are, I pondered the silent rack, then I built a custom 1U server with an ASRock board that only requires 45 watts and put Noctua 40mm fans in it. It's not SILENT, but since it's in my low-voltage NEMA enclosure in my hall closet it's quiet enough I can't hear it even with the closet door open (and actually the switch fans, also Noctua, run faster/noisier since that generates more heat). If you want a server with a warranty, get a Dell and don't push its CPU.

Also, uh, pretty much all server racks have options for solid doors - I haven't priced them recently but it's probably easier and faster to replace your vented door with a solid one as a start.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

We need more goons trying to build underground rape-sex dungeons "server rooms" that try to dig said rape-sex dungeons "server rooms" by hand in soil that literally has the word "hard" in its nickname. Hard-pan

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Oops heh got caught up in the Server Rack For :females: hilarity - I actually came here to post, having just finished filling and compacting two fairly small trenches (total about 11 feet long, 1 foot wide, 2.5 feet deep): I consider myself a DIY enthusiast, enjoy learning new things about construction and making things, but you know what? gently caress earth moving. gently caress everything about it. I'm sure it's better and easier with machines (these trenches are very close to the house and connect various electrical things so I didn't want to risk bashing an excavator bucket into a window or the new electrical substructures I've just finished putting in, plus, y'know, the expense), but even so, I'm done with it. Any earthmoving or digging that I need in future, I'm loving calling someone and paying them to make it their problem - what a giant pain in the rear end. And the arms, and the legs, and the core. And it's all clay soil here and currently very wet so it sticks to loving everything. Ugh.

On the plus side, my $300 Chinese jackhammer has performed brilliantly for everything I've needed - digging, tamping, breaking up part of the foundation so I could get the conduit to line up with the PVC terminal adapter on the panel :shepicide:, etc. I'm looking forward to never using it again and hopefully selling it for something near what I bought it for, but thanks China.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

wesleywillis posted:

All those cinder blocks. That's the 78 Camaro of decks.
What's wrong with a 78 Camaro? I know not the Way of the Car.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Oops heh got caught up in the Server Rack For :females: hilarity - I actually came here to post, having just finished filling and compacting two fairly small trenches (total about 11 feet long, 1 foot wide, 2.5 feet deep): I consider myself a DIY enthusiast, enjoy learning new things about construction and making things, but you know what? gently caress earth moving. gently caress everything about it. I'm sure it's better and easier with machines (these trenches are very close to the house and connect various electrical things so I didn't want to risk bashing an excavator bucket into a window or the new electrical substructures I've just finished putting in, plus, y'know, the expense), but even so, I'm done with it. Any earthmoving or digging that I need in future, I'm loving calling someone and paying them to make it their problem - what a giant pain in the rear end. And the arms, and the legs, and the core. And it's all clay soil here and currently very wet so it sticks to loving everything. Ugh.

On the plus side, my $300 Chinese jackhammer has performed brilliantly for everything I've needed - digging, tamping, breaking up part of the foundation so I could get the conduit to line up with the PVC terminal adapter on the panel :shepicide:, etc. I'm looking forward to never using it again and hopefully selling it for something near what I bought it for, but thanks China.
Earth moving equipment is pretty fun, but call before you dig.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What's wrong with a 78 Camaro? I know not the Way of the Car.
Aside from being a malaise era GM product, nothing specific. It was just the arbitrary year I picked for depicting the stereotypical pile of poo poo car up on blocks in someone's front yard/driveway etc..

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

wesleywillis posted:

Aside from being a malaise era GM product, nothing specific. It was just the arbitrary year I picked for depicting the stereotypical pile of poo poo car up on blocks in someone's front yard/driveway etc..

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

I want this as a bumper sticker so bad.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

wesleywillis posted:

Oh yeah no I had to be very careful because one of the trenches crossed a joint service trench from the original build in the 70s. Except, probably because it was the 70s and no one gave a poo poo, the pipes were literally 12 inches down from grade. Oh, and also, unlike a joint trench today, there was no separation - gas, electric, and PVC sprinkler pipe all physically touching each other for the entire length of their run (forming a triangle with the water on top) and laid a foot down from the surface.

Best part is one of the two reasons I was doing these trenches was to reroute that specific electric (a feeder conduit to a subpanel in the backyard), which meant I had to carefully slice through the electric conduit without A) cutting into the wires inside or B) nicking the gas or PVC water pipe :gonk:. Couldn't of course use a normal pipe cutter because with the pipes touching I obviously couldn't rotate a cutter around the conduit. That was a ticklish and stressful 30 minutes with a oscillating saw and because it was thickwall rigid conduit not only did it take a long time but I went through two or three $12 blades.

Still, though, I'd rather do that cut a thousand times than move more loving earth with a shovel.

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 19, 2022

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
If you use a mini-ex it might be the last trench you ever have to dig. :v:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'll never forget watching my dad, who built hundreds of miles of logging road with real equipment, rent a mini-ex to unearth the septic tank's clean out and flopped the sucker on its side. Good times.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

That house with the kitchen urinals just sold, and you'll never guess at what price:

$169,420

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

NICE!!!

I bet that was deliberate

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

NICE!!!

I bet that was deliberate

I bid $787k on my place because it's uh like the place and I needed to pick some number anyways!

e: it's a 2br condo lol and in USD I paid $452/sq foot, that HOUSE sold for $174/sq foot urggggh

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 20, 2022

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

VelociBacon posted:

I bid $787k on my place because it's uh like the plane and I needed to pick some number anyways!

e: it's a 2br condo lol and in USD I paid $452/sq foot, that HOUSE sold for $174/sq foot urggggh

I was going to crack wise about how "Yeah, but then you'd be in Ferndale. Lmao" but I'm barely familiar with the area and figured I should look it up first. According to Wikipedia: "Ferndale is well known in the Detroit area for its LGBT population and progressive policies" so that's good for them at least.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

I was going to crack wise about how "Yeah, but then you'd be in Ferndale. Lmao" but I'm barely familiar with the area and figured I should look it up first. According to Wikipedia: "Ferndale is well known in the Detroit area for its LGBT population and progressive policies" so that's good for them at least.

Yeah I think it's mostly just living in a Vancouver suburb vs living in a Detroit suburb but still, that's like 5 years of 100% of my salary in terms of the price difference. Anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah I think it's mostly just living in a Vancouver suburb vs living in a Detroit suburb but still, that's like 5 years of 100% of my salary in terms of the price difference. Anyways.

poo poo, to my understanding of Vancouver real estate you got a smoking deal if it was anything under a million.