Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

therunningman posted:

Tamiya Extra Thin is effectively like magic compared you what I used back then.

This cannot be understated.

Testor's tube glue was horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Jonny Nox posted:

The worst thing about Testor's and "back then" was that little bottle of brush cleaner that was included in their little glass bottle enamel paint sets. As a 10 year old kid, I just dunked my lovely white-handled Testor's brushes in there to clean them. After about 5 cleanings, it was filthy and my brushes were a gummy mess. I remember picking up a pint of the Testor's "Model Master" brush cleaner and though I hit the jackpot. I wish I had known then that you could buy the exact same mineral spirits in a hardware store dirt cheap.

Due to a lack of solvents, I did develop a brush cleaning method that I still use to this day. I fill three small jars (4oz or so) with solvent and label the lids 1-2-3. First, I wipe as much paint off the brush as I can with a paper towel, then clean it in stages through the jars. Jar 3 should always be almost crystal clear. When Jar 3 becomes a little cloudy, I swap the lids so Jar 2 becomes Jar 1, Jar 3 becomes Jar 2, and replace the solvent in Jar 1 with clean solvent and that becomes Jar 3.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Interesting. What are you brushing? Enamels? I just use a large bowl of water for cleaning my brushes during a painting session. At the end of the session I use lacquer thinner (the cheap hardware store stuff) to get out any leftover paint that the water didn't remove. I brush paint almost exclusively with Vallejo and AK acrylics.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Gewehr 43 posted:

Interesting. What are you brushing? Enamels? I just use a large bowl of water for cleaning my brushes during a painting session. At the end of the session I use lacquer thinner (the cheap hardware store stuff) to get out any leftover paint that the water didn't remove. I brush paint almost exclusively with Vallejo and AK acrylics.

I use an airbrush with lacquers for about 95% of the painting. For brushwork, I mostly use Vallejo acrylics and follow with Master's brush cleaner, water, and an ultrasonic cleaner for cleanup. Pretty much the only solvent based paints I use a brush with are the wax based AK true metals and oil paint washes. With those, I use the three jar cleaning method with mineral spirits.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Is that a scratchbuild? Or a mod of an existing kit maybe?

It's a 'What if?' based on the Tamiya 1/700 Nelson kit kitbashed with other parts - build log here https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235077421-what-if-more-realistic-hms-nelson-1700-tamiya/

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Jonny Nox posted:

I still keep a tube around since it's good at gluing parts that don't fit quite right. I assume the correct solution is to stop buying early 90s Eastern European model kits instead, but that's off the table.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

I use revell contacta (the one with the long metal tube applicator) when I have to do things like making undercarriages that butt-join into very flimsy sockets be able to support the weight of the model.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I use the testor stuff for big structural joints - getting the wings on the fuselage for example - but yeah it’s a loving pain.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
Construction is substantially complete with a few minor things I'm still considering.

Wheels and hatches are dry fitted only. The kit didn't come with figures so I'm leaving those to be coordinated later.
Left off the windshield to paint separately.
Also need to figure out the antennas.

I tried to pay as much attention as I could to the little screw nibs and flashing. Tiny parts and not the best lighting made it difficult.

The only big screwup so far is a gigantic glue fingerprint by the drivers hatch. Will need to try and sand it down or something before painting.
Also couldn't figure out the photo etch for a couple of small brackets.

Currently trying to think of a paint scheme and find some suitable figures at a christian price.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Squeaking one build in, probably the last one for the year. This is a 3D printed 1:72nd scale Crusader III (with a 1:35 Italeri Crusader for scale).

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I love that camo pattern. Reminds me of snakeskin.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

therunningman posted:

Currently trying to think of a paint scheme and find some suitable figures at a christian price.

I like this one in the UN scheme; SFOR if you really need it to be green.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Squeaking one build in, probably the last one for the year. This is a 3D printed 1:72nd scale Crusader III (with a 1:35 Italeri Crusader for scale).

Really nice build. Did you 3d print it yourself?

Mokotow posted:

I like this one in the UN scheme; SFOR if you really need it to be green.

I have my sights set on a different vehicle in a UN scheme. May do this one in the green scheme.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

therunningman posted:

Really nice build. Did you 3d print it yourself?

I have my sights set on a different vehicle in a UN scheme. May do this one in the green scheme.

Yes, at first I tried to print hull components separately but they all came out warped. There was an STL of the whole hull together, but it has a defect where the turret ring has a very unfortunate polygon sticking out of the side.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Where do you find the 3D model for printing?

I’ve been looking for an M58 MICLIC trailer in 1:35 for a diorama but I’m not willing to drop $140 on the only one I see pop up on second hand sites, so I’m kind of hoping someone has it modelled somewhere…

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Brengun 1/144 Dauntless. The kit itself is okay, but I think I still gotta go with Platz and Sweet for my tiny plane needs.

Truth told I'm never fully sure what to do with weathering these little bitty kits. I also ballsed up the tail stripes, which is what I get for doing it freehand. Always nice to make a blue plane, though.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

Is that a scratchbuild? Or a mod of an existing kit maybe?

If you like the ship Trumpeter has a 1/200 version of it and the sister ship the HMS Rodney.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/trumpeter-03708-hms-nelson--843264

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

grassy gnoll posted:

Brengun 1/144 Dauntless. The kit itself is okay, but I think I still gotta go with Platz and Sweet for my tiny plane needs.

Truth told I'm never fully sure what to do with weathering these little bitty kits. I also ballsed up the tail stripes, which is what I get for doing it freehand. Always nice to make a blue plane, though.

Still better than mine!

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Does anyone know what's going on with my paint?

I'm getting these weird rough spots that are showing through the paint. This is Splash Paints lacquer applied over Tamiya primer. I washed the model with water and a little dish soap before painting, and I wet sanded the primer to get it smooth before painting. Also I think it was something like a week between priming and painting.

I thought I could just paint over the spots and they would disappear but they won't this is like 3 coats. Is this crazing? I'm about to give up on this and strip the paint and try again.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Charliegrs posted:

From the photo I would say it looks like some of the paint is drying before it hits the model. If so, it means you could be spraying from too far away. Rather than sand it all off, you can probably wet sand the rough areas to smooth it then add another coat or two of paint.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

I'm getting these weird rough spots that are showing through the paint. This is Splash Paints lacquer applied over Tamiya primer. I washed the model with water and a little dish soap before painting, and I wet sanded the primer to get it smooth before painting. Also I think it was something like a week between priming and painting.

I thought I could just paint over the spots and they would disappear but they won't this is like 3 coats. Is this crazing? I'm about to give up on this and strip the paint and try again.

The rough spots are the thinners in the paint eating through the primer and into the styrene. Zero paints do a similar thing and it seems to be a distance and quantity thing. Too far away or too light a coat and it ends up being more thinners less paint.
Only way I’ve found to fix it is strip it then sand it smooth.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Is Tamiya primer lacquer or enamel based?

On that note, are any hardware store primers lacquer based? I've tested a handful of them and they are all enamels.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

SkunkDuster posted:

On that note, are any hardware store primers lacquer based? I've tested a handful of them and they are all enamels.

All of the tamiya sprays are lacquers as far as I'm aware.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

SkunkDuster posted:

Tamiya primer is lacquer based.

I think there are hardware store lacquer based primers out there. I personally wouldn't use any hardware store primer (or paint) on a model though. I know plenty of people use it without any issues, but also LOTS of people have serious issues with it. Many of them are just too "hot" for models. All you have to do is go on the car modeling subreddit to see post after post of people who have totally crazed to hell models after using hardware store primer. Is it cheaper than modeling primer? Yes. But is it worth the risk? In my opinion no. But that's just my 2 cents I'm not saying you shouldn't use it, just personally I'd rather know it's me that messing up a model as opposed to whatever primer or paint I'm using.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Charliegrs posted:

Tamiya primer is lacquer based.

I think there are hardware store lacquer based primers out there. I personally wouldn't use any hardware store primer (or paint) on a model though. I know plenty of people use it without any issues, but also LOTS of people have serious issues with it. Many of them are just too "hot" for models. All you have to do is go on the car modeling subreddit to see post after post of people who have totally crazed to hell models after using hardware store primer. Is it cheaper than modeling primer? Yes. But is it worth the risk? In my opinion no. But that's just my 2 cents I'm not saying you shouldn't use it, just personally I'd rather know it's me that messing up a model as opposed to whatever primer or paint I'm using.

I use Mr. Surfacer for priming models, but I was thinking if I ever got ambitious enough to do a large diorama, or for spraying some non-model related thing, I'd like a lacquer based primer as my color coats would all be lacquer.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

IncredibleIgloo posted:

If you like the ship Trumpeter has a 1/200 version of it and the sister ship the HMS Rodney.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/trumpeter-03708-hms-nelson--843264

Nelson is one of my favourite ships, but 1/200 is huge and expensive, and I've been hoping Trumpeter or someone else will come out with a 1/350 that matches the scale of all the same period ships I already have (Saratoga, Dunkerque, Cornwall, Graf Spee, Myoko, Indiannapolis, Pola, Surcouf, Ayanami).

I suppose I should be fine with different scales, but something in my brain wants them to be all the same.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Dec 24, 2022

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

I suppose I should be fine with different scales, but something in my brain wants them to be all the same.

I've found myself become a constant scale modeller as I love sitting them next to each other for comparison - I've ended up with 1/72 for aircraft and 1/700 for ships as they offer the widest range of subjects (and they're easier to display).

I know if I started buying kits in larger scales I would immediately breach the carrying capacity of my stash. So in a way it's a form of self control.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

tidal wave emulator posted:

I've found myself become a constant scale modeller as I love sitting them next to each other for comparison - I've ended up with 1/72 for aircraft and 1/700 for ships as they offer the widest range of subjects (and they're easier to display).

I know if I started buying kits in larger scales I would immediately breach the carrying capacity of my stash. So in a way it's a form of self control.

Comparing scales of things is up there with finally peeling a complex set of masking off for intensely satisfying things about this hobby.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

grassy gnoll posted:

Comparing scales of things is up there with finally peeling a complex set of masking off for intensely satisfying things about this hobby.

I keep some 1/144 scale planes on the same shelf that I keep my 1/144 high grade gunpla models for that reason, I guess.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

grassy gnoll posted:

Yep. I've gotta do the same scale across the board.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Being able to compare the sizes same scale is just something I have to do
  • Ships in 1/350
  • Armour in 1/35
  • WW2 era fighters/heavy fighters/light bombers in 1/48
  • WW2 era medium bombers/heavy bombers and jet age fighters in 1/72
The 1/72 planes are a concession to size and cost, though it's been probably decades since I got a jet age model
Even though there are fewer 1/350 ships and they take up way more space and cost a lot more, I find sub-capital ships in 1/700 to be too small and fiddly for my hands, I got the 1/720 Airfix Ark Royal and the Tribal class destroyer in the box has very little detail

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 25, 2022

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Consider, though, the illicit thrills inherent comparing a very small version of an object to a much larger version of that same object.

Like, if you can't see the joy in going from a 1/700 bit of deck detritus all the way up through a 1/32 plane, you have a heart of stone. Toss a couple cartoony egg-scale motherfuckers in there and you got yourself a stew.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

NTRabbit posted:

Being able to compare the sizes same scale is just something I have to do
  • Ships in 1/350
  • Armour in 1/35
  • WW2 era fighters/heavy fighters/light bombers in 1/48
  • any plane I can’t get in 1/48, in 1/72

hello me

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Did someone say airbrush technique?

https://twitter.com/buitengebieden/status/1606929815013306374?s=61&t=adcgDpGStAOBQJOs9b-rqg

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

I got the 1/720 Airfix Ark Royal and the Tribal class destroyer in the box has very little detail

Do you mean the Revell kit? According to Scalemates that kit was tooled in 1967 so little surprise the detail was lacking! https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-05149-tribal-class-destroyer-hms-ark-royal--1087097

Modern 1/700 stuff from the likes of Pit Road, Fujimi and especially Fly Hawk is ridiculously well-detailed, especially if you throw in aftermarket photoetch and resin.

grassy gnoll posted:

Consider, though, the illicit thrills inherent comparing a very small version of an object to a much larger version of that same object.

Like, if you can't see the joy in going from a 1/700 bit of deck detritus all the way up through a 1/32 plane, you have a heart of stone. Toss a couple cartoony egg-scale motherfuckers in there and you got yourself a stew.

I built Tamiya's 1/72 M6A1 Seiran floatplane at the same time as I built Pit Road's 1/700 i-400 submarine which included a couple 1/700 Seirans, so I ended up building them in vastly different scales simultaneously which was fun.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cthulu Carl posted:

I keep some 1/144 scale planes on the same shelf that I keep my 1/144 high grade gunpla models for that reason, I guess.

I did this once with a Yamato VF-0, a Perfect Grade Gundam MkII, and the original Masterpiece Starscream, all at 1/60

I've had more expensive half hours but they usually involve poo poo like motorcycle repairs or dentist visits

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

mllaneza posted:

drat. That is impressive. I've been airbrushing for about 35 years and my freehand skills are garbage.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

mllaneza posted:

Not even in my wildest dreams. Impressive.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

I built Tamiya's 1/72 M6A1 Seiran floatplane at the same time as I built Pit Road's 1/700 i-400 submarine which included a couple 1/700 Seirans, so I ended up building them in vastly different scales simultaneously which was fun.

These were 350th and 48th:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Do you mean the Revell kit? According to Scalemates that kit was tooled in 1967 so little surprise the detail was lacking! https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-05149-tribal-class-destroyer-hms-ark-royal--1087097

Yes that one! And 1967 wasn't as far away back when I got it :corsair: