Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FrostyPox posted:

I maintain my initial assessment that Tidus is a golden retriever puppy, and I guess golden retrievers are the himbos of dogs

He's air bud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
i can't believe i pronounced tidus and tifa incorrectly for so long

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Professor Wayne posted:

Tedious and Thai-Fay

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i refuse to accept tee-dus. i will oppose it until my dying breath

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Professor Wayne posted:

I have a friend who calls everyone like “tihf-ah” and “yuff-ee” and it’s difficult to cope with.

Then again I’m one of the weirdos who thinks retconning Aeris into Aerith was unnecessary and cringe. I don’t care if it’s correct, the latter sounds weird.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

"Aerith" just sounds like Daffy Duck trying to talk about his favorite FF character

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Where's the mod that gives Sephiroth an Elmer Fudd outfit

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

it was always aerith...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

i refuse to accept tee-dus. i will oppose it until my dying breath

The water pun is correct, all others are wrong

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Booky posted:

it was always aerith...

*puts my fingers in my ears* LA LA LA LA LA LA LA

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

YggiDee posted:

Don't all Al Bhed have the green swirly eyes? It's probably why they all wear goggles and Yuna, half Al Bhed, has heterochromia

they're also pretty much exclusively blonde, the only one I can think of who isn't is cid. and very few other people have that hair colour(basically just tidus, which makes it kind of funny that nobody comments on it given that he washes up on shore and is all like "hey guys, machines aren't that bad and yevon seems dumb")

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just finished Stranger of Paradise. The game ends with “THEME SONG BY FRANK SINATRA”

They knew what they were doing.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

while teedus doesn't sound awful, it just doesn't make sense for an english speaking audience to not say Tide-us. He's the water summon, make his name be the sound of a tide.

I know we're long past that derail, I still think it's absolutely mental to pretend that Wakka going away from hardcore religious doctrines was because the child was hot. How do you even get that read?

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

double post: my bad

is the SOP PC version worth buying as it is now? I've long wanted to play it, but I've constantly heard that the PC version was godawful

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don’t care if I’m saying certain names wrong. Ty-dus. Tiff-uh. Marley. Air-iss. Cid-ney. These are right and better.

Edit: Notable mention: Anne from Persona 5.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 21, 2022

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

UnderFreddy posted:

double post: my bad

is the SOP PC version worth buying as it is now? I've long wanted to play it, but I've constantly heard that the PC version was godawful

I never had an issue with the pc port. It stuttered sometimes when there were a bunch of particle effects floating around but that was it. Worked just fine otherwise.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don’t care if I’m saying certain names wrong. Ty-dus. Tiff-uh. Marley. Air-iss. Cid-ney. These are right and better.

Okay the other ones I disagree with but are debatable. But what the gently caress with THESE two?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

Okay the other ones I disagree with but are debatable. But what the gently caress with THESE two?

Marley I don't get but everyone I know always said tiff-uh, I think that's just a regional thing. Most brits wouldn't ever think to make an ee sound from an i

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

they're also pretty much exclusively blonde, the only one I can think of who isn't is cid. and very few other people have that hair colour(basically just tidus, which makes it kind of funny that nobody comments on it given that he washes up on shore and is all like "hey guys, machines aren't that bad and yevon seems dumb")

How do you know Cid isn't blond?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Asterite34 posted:

I’ve been hearing “Tee-fa” lately and that’s an absolute no. It’s clearly a short version of “Tiffany.”

“Marle” is just an ugly word to say.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Tight rear end

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I prefer being correct to what the developers intended than being obstinant about what I think is right, personally.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Alxprit posted:

I prefer being correct to what the developers intended than being obstinant about what I think is right, personally.

I can be both! It’s incredibly freeing.

Like Jack, I’m doing it My Way.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I'm still gonna call her Aeris cuz that's the default name in the original English version. They shoulda fixed it if they didn't want that :colbert:

I could not possibly care less what people call a video game character. Even COOLRANCH

the PC version of SoP ran pretty well for me. I can't recall any pronounced stuttering.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Type-0: l'Cie fight!!!! No way this will result in the annihilation of the world. I can finally use Eidolons, but haven't done anything since unlocking them. Looking forward to child-soldiers sacrificing their lives to bring forth divine mechanical wmds.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Also SOP devs did indeed know exactly what they were doing and it is loving incredible. SoP loving rules.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

How do you know Cid isn't blond?

he has a beard

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

At launch SoP on pc would reliably crash if I spent too long in the FF11 or FF15 dungeon. Now it doesn't do that.

Progress!

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just finished Stranger of Paradise. The game ends with “THEME SONG BY FRANK SINATRA”

They knew what they were doing.

I believe in an interview Nomura said the game would not exist without that song.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Vitamean posted:

At launch SoP on pc would reliably crash if I spent too long in the FF11 or FF15 dungeon. Now it doesn't do that.

Progress!

Reminder that the model of a random bat in SoP has more polygons than a Yakuza protagonist.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Speaking of SoP:

https://youtu.be/RzJvjkBCLls

Jack’s got a gun!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah that's exactly what Jack needs: a gun.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I half-expected him to pluck the moogle out of the sky and growl "gently caress you" and spike him into the ground.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

FrostyPox posted:

I half-expected him to pluck the moogle out of the sky and growl "gently caress you" and spike him into the ground.

Lol same.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Seeing Emperor Mateus show up there has me excited.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

I’ve been hearing “Tee-fa” lately and that’s an absolute no. It’s clearly a short version of “Tiffany.”

“Marle” is just an ugly word to say.

Is there really a British pronunciation thing where this wouldn't just be "Tiffa" (if it were pronounced as you describe)? I thought that "i + single consonant + vowel" almost always results in an "ee" sound (or sometimes "eye," like the name Milo or the word silo).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah no I've always said Teefa. If it was supposed to be Tiffa it would be spelled that way.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Tifa short for Tifanny, another problematic name in the UK

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I say Teefa but Tydus and don't care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I have never heard the British version of Tiffany. The 80s mall singer superstar has superseded all other ways to say the name.